Author Topic: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks  (Read 33385 times)

Online GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:42 PM »
If you don’t mind is that price quoted for a complete engine, ie manifolds, turbos, injectors, water pump etc. what about alternator and starter.
Long motor from Toyota $17k. Motor, new injectors, new pump, fuel rails and water pump. You fit your starter, EGR, manifold, turbos, alternator, inlet and exhaust manifolds.

New turbos from Toyota are around the $4k mark which includes stepper motors

There's over 20 hours of labour to remove, swap and replace the engine at $160/hr.

GG

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:43:46 PM by GGV8Cruza »
The following users thanked this post: KeithB

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2020, 07:40:59 PM »
Same outcome as my mates as well. His ended up at $32k by a brissy Toyota dealer.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:48:35 AM by GBC »

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2020, 07:43:38 PM »
I know a guy that had 'dusted" engine damage covered by insurance mostly!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2020, 06:33:59 AM »
If you don’t mind is that price quoted for a complete engine, ie manifolds, turbos, injectors, water pump etc. what about alternator and starter.

I got quoted $19K for the new engine, which includes fuel and water pumps and injectors. There is also one turbo in the overall quote. Starter motor and alternator will be inspected and reused as will the drivers side turbo if it looks okay.

At the workshop, I did notice some dust on the clean side of the air intake. That's a Toyota design fault which will need to be addressed. There are a few solutions on the internet, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on sealing the air box

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.
The following users thanked this post: MDS69

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2020, 09:39:58 AM »
geez.... $26,000 friggin dollars.  :o
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »
Keith I know your spending a shed load but make sure the starter motor is in excellent nic. They are a pain to get to in the 200 so you don’t want to be having to pull the valley apart to replace it anytime soon.

Donaldson filters have acknowledged there’s an issue with 200 air filters and I saw an email from them on lcool where they are proposing to have a whole new filter housing available 1st or 2nd quarter next year . I am holding off for now will probably just run the Donaldson replacement filters as they are a bit thicker.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2020, 11:14:35 AM »
Seems it’s cheaper do just drive off the road and roll it next time, if you’re insured.....

Not that I’d condone such a thing of course  8)
Set your chickens free

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
You may not know until the motor gets looked at, but it takes a lot of dust to actually "dust" a motor. If the compression checks out OK, then it was probably a turbo failure, not dusting. Quite possible it's just a turbo and nothing else. Best of luck with it !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2020, 03:56:05 PM »
The compression on two of the passenger side cylinders (where the dust and crank case fumes seem to end up) was down to the low 200's. There was also dust visible on the clean side of the air box.
It's a known fault with the 70 and 200 Series.
Looks like the crank case got pressurised and blew oil through the turbo and the intercooler.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2020, 04:15:55 PM »
The compression on two of the passenger side cylinders (where the dust and crank case fumes seem to end up) was down to the low 200's. There was also dust visible on the clean side of the air box.
Looks like the crank case got pressurised and blew oil through the turbo and the intercooler.
Keith

Speaking to my best mate today and mentioned about blown turbos on 200 series.  He said it was a known problems and it was due to crappy air filter design.  He has has to fix a few up but he did mention that every time he rebuilt a motor he always tried to talk the owners into getting both turbos replaced.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2020, 04:57:25 PM »
Keith

Out of curiosity, do you do a lot of dirt roads and have you got a snorkel ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2020, 09:52:57 PM »
We have an Airmax snorkel and did a very dusty Darling River run two years ago at the worst of the drought. Most of the dust was from oncoming vehicles.
Since then we have just mostly done city work and all on sealed roads using hardly any throttle. Two years prior the compression tested okay. So I think the damage was done then and only became evident towing 2.5 tonnes for the first time at full tilt up hills in the passing lane.It actually shat itself on a gentle downhill run some time afterwards.

Tomorrow I'll take some photos of dust on the clean side of the filter, then document the maintenance history and see what the insurance company has to say.

Keith

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2020, 10:43:03 PM »
We have an Airmax snorkel and did a very dusty Darling River run two years ago at the worst of the drought. Most of the dust was from oncoming vehicles.

Keith

Running a snorkel, I would have thought it would take a lot more than 2 weeks worth of dusty roads to wear a couple of cylinders.

When the time comes, it would be good to know what the vanes on the left turbo look like ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2020, 04:24:03 AM »
Running a snorkel, I would have thought it would take a lot more than 2 weeks worth of dusty roads to wear a couple of cylinders.

When the time comes, it would be good to know what the vanes on the left turbo look like ?

Link following Gronk gives a small sample of issues people have had with the 200 series.  Dusting is too common..$20+k is an average price fix...yikes!! About the only way to ensure it doesn,t happen is to onluy use genuine parts and fit an aftermarket air cleaner box!

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/toyota-landcruiser-j200r-2008-release?page=8
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:00:17 AM by Bigfish »
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2020, 07:58:24 AM »
So how is this not a Toyota problem to fix ??? >:( :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2020, 08:04:31 AM »
So how is this not a Toyota problem to fix ??? >:( :'(

I thought the same thing. Its a common enough occurrence and obviously the original air box is not fit for purpose.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2020, 08:28:56 AM »
Speaking to my best mate today and mentioned about blown turbos on 200 series.  He said it was a known problems and it was due to crappy air filter design.  He has has to fix a few up but he did mention that every time he rebuilt a motor he always tried to talk the owners into getting both turbos replaced.

I agree for the amount of money being spent i would want 2 new turbos in there and for the extra couple of hundred dollars i would replace the alternator and starter motor so she is all new
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2020, 08:34:16 AM »
I agree for the amount of money being spent i would want 2 new turbos in there and for the extra couple of hundred dollars i would replace the alternator and starter motor so she is all new

Plus the aftermarket air box (stainless steel, you beaut, is around $1000...cheap insurance.  Toyota should be supplying these motors at cost at the very least.  So glad I have a Pajero. .

Hopefully Keith MAY have some hope with insurance..APPARENTLY some have when faced with the same issue.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2020, 09:11:12 AM »
Not sure why the insurance company should foot the bill for the results of what seems to be a poor design issue....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2020, 11:14:44 AM »
Keith

Keith did they say why the crankcase got pressurized ? Are you running a catch can , EGR plate etc ?

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2020, 11:26:31 AM »
Not sure why the insurance company should foot the bill for the results of what seems to be a poor design issue....

Yup and I am not sure it’s the Worlds worst design more around not being serviced regularly and properly . Toyota don’t replace the fuel or air filter every service  ! The V8 consumes air like no tomorrow on full noise a dirty filter will only encourage it to pull air around the corners imo .  On my series they don’t ever list replacing  the fuel filter till it lights up ! I’ve replaced both each service and the air cleaner I do myself , the shortcut is to leave it connected to the inlet hose and sensor and slide the filter in but I believe you can miss things. The proper way is 3 mins longer and you can ensure it’s seated 100% I also use a bit of vasoline on the rubber (which I do on most rubber seals).

People especially those that don’t own a model are usually the “sky is falling in “ types ! Like the 3litre patrol that had a whole following of baggers (including me at one stage ) but my mate who owned two and put considerable mileages on both with out doing a thing other than servicing changed my tune.

Like most things there’s room for improvement and I think some of the air boxes available are a great option and certainly won’t hurt.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:34:30 AM by achjimmy »

Jim

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2020, 11:03:02 PM »
! Like the 3litre patrol that had a whole following of baggers (including me at one stage ) but my mate who owned two and put considerable mileages on both with out doing a thing other than servicing changed my tune.

Like all 4wds, only a certain few had problems. I know 2 people who owned 3ltr Patrols....did all the mods to stop it grenading, but both failed. But there is probably plenty still around with high milage with no problems at all ?

A lot of 200 series have died, and dusting is one of the culprits....but a lot of failures are getting blamed on dusting when the engines haven't been pulled down to know for sure. Most dusted engines will still run ok, a bit down on power because of lower compression and/or worn vanes in the turbo......and Keiths 200 doesn't sound like a dusted engine....time will tell ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
Like all 4wds, only a certain few had problems. I know 2 people who owned 3ltr Patrols....did all the mods to stop it grenading, but both failed. But there is probably plenty still around with high milage with no problems at all ?

A lot of 200 series have died, and dusting is one of the culprits....but a lot of failures are getting blamed on dusting when the engines haven't been pulled down to know for sure. Most dusted engines will still run ok, a bit down on power because of lower compression and/or worn vanes in the turbo......and Keiths 200 doesn't sound like a dusted engine....time will tell ?

Yeah gronk i can really resonate with your post. When i worked up in the mines in the Pilbra you would get a flat tyre and the first words out of some some bush mechanics mouth was "she's definitely dusted mate"

I Drink & I Know Things

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »
I had a good look at the clean side of the air filter and there was dust everywhere, right down the ducting. The new engine should be in some time next week.
So we are stuck in a caravan park with last night at -4 degrees. Our diesel heater furnace that runs the heating system in the van and the bathroom plus hot water has shat itself as well and we are waiting on a replacement for that. Have upgraded from a Chinese Belief furnace to an Eberspatcher at great expense. Fortunately the aircon is keeping us warm, but our composting toilet is not dealing with the cold weather well at all. It will not sicken you with the details.
Keith

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2020, 03:29:41 PM »
last night at -4 degrees. Our diesel heater furnace that runs the heating system in the van and the bathroom plus hot water has shat itself as well and we are waiting on a replacement for that. Have upgraded from a Chinese Belief furnace to an Eberspatcher at great expense.

That's more than a few issues you have had with that! I can understand the wanting to change.

our composting toilet is not dealing with the cold weather well at all. It will not sicken you with the details.
Keith

Without the gory details, Is it just not drying out properly due to the cold?