Author Topic: cape york has gone high tec  (Read 4389 times)

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
cape york has gone high tec
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:56:21 AM »
qpws has announced that all camping in national park and resource reserve camping areas on capeyork will need to be pre booked from feb online . e permit must be purchased before arriving

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
Re: cape york has gone high tec
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
Seems to be a common theme happening across the country.
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Wato

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »
At least now when you do book online you can also print out your permit.

Craig
2003 3ltr Patrol
2003 Camel Beachcomber Camper Trailer

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »
I tend agree with QPWS, so places don't get over booked, but when we travelled Cape York last year, we had a rough idea of where we wanted to go and spend time, but the dates and times spent at the locations were very flexible.  We left home with an itinerary, but that itinerary had completely change when we arrived home.  I hope they build some flexability into the system of booking, as everybody knows, there is not much reception along the road to the Cape.

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »
The trouble with booking on line with Qld N/Ps is you only have two weeks before the date of arrival to change your booking. No refunds on any booking and even if you can not get to your destination (floods etc) bad luck. I do not know if they use the same system in NSW, but in some parks there it cost up to $27 a day, imagine having booked there for a week and you can not make it because the road is cut or something.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »
I don’t think it will help at all. The last time we went to Lakefield National Park, we booked over the phone, we get up there and check the board, our name was on it for our camping spot, drive in, people are camping in there.
They just ignored the permits, knowing there in never enough rangers to police the park. And then they got indignant about leaving when we told them this was our camping spot, even though they never booked or paid to camp there.

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
jclures,

I'm with you. It won't stop people just showing up and taking a spot that is already booked. I agree with larger NP's with the manning to police the campsites should have an online option but the more out of the way places that sees a ranger only a few times a week then it should be a honesty box. I have never not paid my camping fee via the honesty box if anything QPW got a little extra if I didn't have correct change.
Cheers
Brett

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 06:16:21 AM »
The bit that amused me with this couple, they had a top of the range hard floor camper and a new Toyota, but couldn’t or wouldn’t pay a camping fee. ???

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:20:49 AM »
I think the biggest downfall of having to book & pay online, is that often one has to commit sight unseen to a location. Or is given incorrect info, as happened the weekend just gone, and there is no mobile reception to have a look first, then book.

I agree also with other comments about travel plains being changed, or arrival delayed.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:50:31 PM »
I think the biggest downfall of having to book & pay online, is that often one has to commit sight unseen to a location. Or is given incorrect info...
This.

Plus was JC has said about people camping and not caring.

I've got a massive beef with QPWS about their electronic booking at Tinaroo, and won't camp there any more because of it. As far as I care, they're using the electronic system to massively overbook campsites (Kauri creek - 13 marked, designated campsites as per DERM's own map, but they will take bookings for up to 200 people), which leaves well-intentioned campers out in the cold when you arrive despite doing everything right and paying weeks in advance. If their booking system was up to scratch, it wouldn't be such a big deal. If it was easier to get a refund (we eventually wrangled a credit, they refused to refund), you wouldn't feel so slighted. But it's just a case of "pay us money, and you may or may not get a campsite. If you don't, it's not our problem". Basically the only losers in the current system are the people who follow the rules and pay the money. Imagine rocking up to a hotel that you'd booked a month prior, only to be told that you should have got their earlier in the day if you wanted your room.

If they could fix the booking system and make it accurate, and have some way to remediate a situation if someone was camped in your spot, then I'd be all for it. Heck - I'd happily pay more for my nightly fee if it meant being able to hire another ranger to keep things fair.

Not sure how it will work up the Cape - as everyone's said, things are just that much more fluid up there.

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »
The easy way to make your bookings online is NOT to specify where you will be staying.  There is an option to Pre-Pay without giving them any idea where you will stay.  You have 1 year to use the credits and you can simply tell them where you were later OR use the same booking number on your permit tag and also when you do actually book online.  The downer is that there are only 2 permits you can purchase $53.00 or $106.00, but you can purchase more than 1 if need be.

Yeah the idea that if you have to change your mind and can't change your booking does suck, but they are very cheap camps, so you really don't lose much in the long run.  The flexibility would be great when you could ring the day before and make a change.   Something I feel they should look into.

Kit_e

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:05:17 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
Typical Queensland National Parks disaster.
We have never had a good experience with that mob.
They view the people who visit "their" parks as a nuisance. (or worse)
They will do anything to avoid any contact with the public.
They need to take a leaf out of the NT book when it comes to camping in national parks.

Sorry about the rant but it is based on our experiences.

Cheers
Parry

Offline yorkie

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
reminds me of a few years ago heading to mt moffat, rang qpws to make a booking and they asked which campsite, i said did not know as never been there, they said no worries just call us to make a booking when you get there.  :laugh:
when we did get there the honesty box was used and the sign even says no phone reception in the park, which we were fairly sure of anyway.  :)
smile and wave boys..... :)

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »
It will be a S@#T fight at Twin Falls. The ranger only goes there every 3 days. If you turn up at your designated spot and some one is there all hell breaks lose.

The trouble here is that too many interstate travelers will not know about this and will just camp there. Some spots can fit 3 to 4 camper trailers so they better have theses areas properly marked as they do not currently.

Also if you get caught up along the otl you have lost a day with your permit.

Its interesting on their website that Jardine River campsites are not mentioned or a map now as was before.

Over the years camping there, it started as just clearings in the bush so both camper trailers and tents could use all spots now they have more tent areas than camper trailers spots. In my opinion they have ruined it. Hence i would prefer to camp at canal creek.

Let the fun begin. 

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline beakie

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:52 PM »
 ??? ???
I myself am going to be taking the missus and kids up to the tip this July, I have got no idea on were we will be staying as i have no idea on how long it will take to get to any of these camp areas, can you just pull off the road and camp overnight ??  Does this permit business involve the roadhouse camp grounds etc.
Also how long would it take basically to travel just the development road up to Bamaga from the start of the development road?
Regards
beakie

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »
??? ???
I myself am going to be taking the missus and kids up to the tip this July, I have got no idea on were we will be staying as i have no idea on how long it will take to get to any of these camp areas, can you just pull off the road and camp overnight ??  Does this permit business involve the roadhouse camp grounds etc.
Also how long would it take basically to travel just the development road up to Bamaga from the start of the development road?
Regards
beakie

Beakie you can camp any where, with in reason , at the Cape. The main national park camp site being Elliot falls is the only place you need to register. If you travel the northern part of the otl the land on the right is national park while the land on the left is not.

You can travel from Cairns to Bamaga in 2 days easy via the development rd. First stop from Cairns being Archer River.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline beakie

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »
Beakie you can camp any where, with in reason , at the Cape. The main national park camp site being Elliot falls is the only place you need to register. If you travel the northern part of the otl the land on the right is national park while the land on the left is not.

You can travel from Cairns to Bamaga in 2 days easy via the development rd. First stop from Cairns being Archer River.

Mark
Thanks heaps mate for the reply   :cheers:
beakie