Author Topic: Vehicle essentials  (Read 14660 times)

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Vehicle essentials
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »
For those of us new to this game could someone list the essentials for this trip.  This will help me spend my money in the right way.

A "nice to have" list would also be helpful, this would of course vary more from person to person.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
Re: Vehicle essentials
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:48:33 AM »
Introductory and advanced off-road training
First aid training

Then you can start thinking about your 4WD vehicle, and hardware you require  ;D

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
Introductory and advanced off-road training
First aid training

Then you can start thinking about your 4WD vehicle, and hardware you require  ;D

Then to expand on GeeTee's excellent recommendations when you move onto the vehicle there will be a thousand opinions my being
first aid kit and go to your doctor and get a script for broad spectrum anti-biotics
recovery points
recovery kit
tyre pressure gauge and a compressor to go with it and a shovel if sand driving. Also handy around the camp fire cooking and toilet duties
Tyre repair kit
dual batteries if you have a fridge
UHF radio, mounted or handheld or both
sand flag for the desert
LT tyres in preferably all terrain or mud terrain
after market suspension all though you can get by with relative new OEM suspension, just have to allow to stop to let the shocks cool down and drive to the conditions
If you have a wagon a cargo barrier is a must have and you could nearly put that at the top of the list.

You don't need to purchase
winch
bull bar
sliders
driving lights
sat phone (hire one at either Mt Dare or Birdsville depending on your direction)
max tracks
rear drawers
high lift jack although they can come in handy very rarely though

others will have ideas as well

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
This is my opinion based on my findings travelling around the traps.......
Well serviced vehicle.
Good tyres. No need for new Mud terrain or fancy tyres. As long as they are a good construction tyre with still a good amount of tread they will be fine.
Tyre repair kit. (I also take a spare tube and tyre levers but thats being cautious and ive never had to use them..yet)
12v compressor.
Good shockys, as in not worn out. No need to go and buy expensive or even new ones if the ones in your 4wd are still fine.
A good snatch strap or two.
Recovery points.

As for spares this will vary depending on the vehicle and its age etc. I carry belts, hoses and few bits and bobs specific to my potential needs. Oils, some fluids etc once again specific to my vehicle and its age.
I also carry a good but compact tool kit. Things like a small collection of electrical bits and pieces, some magyver type nuts and bolts, wire, cable ties, tapes, metal mend, epoxy etc. Lots of lists and things on the net about this type of thing. Personally some lists are far too comprehensive but until your stuck in the middle of no where and need something you dont have then the list doesnt seem so comprehensive LOL
In a group people may want to share the load as such but I like to be as self contained as I can because I wont always be with a group.

The biggest mistake I see people making is that they install a heap of new goodies for a trip and dont test them prior to the trip. You know the guy that runs a 12v socket to the rear of his 4wd to run his brand new fridge, gets out in the desert and suddenly the fridge keeps cutting out because his system is not adequate. Or the chap that has the brand new 4wd with every conceivable bolt on accessories but has never driven off road let alone slept in his swag/tent out in the elements for a decent period of time and continually whinges and moans because his air lines on his 'lockers' keep blowing off.
I much prefer to see people put their hand up and say I am inexperienced and be open to allowing others give you tips and hints and encouragement along the way (we are all always learning no matter how experienced) rather than having all the gear and no idea. We are all potentially going to get stuck every now and then or have a few goes at a soft dune, there is no shame in that its a part of the fun. And in most cases it happens because no one wants to be the cowboy that hits every big dune at 100mph so we generally try to get up over obstacles with the least amount of mayhem as possible so it catches you out. As a trip like this goes on everyone gets the hang of what will be for some, the first time they have driven over a dune, so a good attitude and sense of humour is usually more important than $50k's worth of bolt on gear.

Nice to have in my opinion is a way of showering with hot water from the 4wd, good drawers for storing all your gear, fridge/freezer and enough battery power to run it in between drive days, a decent led lighting system, sat phone, gps system, a good water and fuel storage solution. Maxtrax type things, long handle shovel, exhaust jack (i have one of these stupid things, I might take it to the desert and see if it can get some use finally!). Winch, straps of various lengths, shackles, snatch blocks, sand trap etc all nice to have but for most not needed. Some of us will have all that gear so thats all that matters.
Sure a lot of us will have all these things but they are not necessarily essential, especially if your with a group. For every fancy gadget on the market there is a poor mans way of doing things (im a poor man so I know LOL)

There is no doubt a lot more and everyones opinion will vary so thats a start. But don't over think things and get overwhelmed by the thought of 'crossing the simpson desert' its not as daunting as it used to be and there is so much information out there to scramble your brain when trying to prepare for a trip like this. Keep it simple. Reliability and driving to the conditions is where its at ;D
Peoples personal levels of comfort beyond those two things is going to vary a lot!

Just while I think of it, it might be worth mentioning what people are taking that can help the group but its not necessary for the whole group to carry. As an example recovery gear.

I seriously doubt we will need anything more than the odd gentle snatch but I have a winch, tree straps, equaliser straps, various extensions, snatch blocks, shackles and snatch straps so no one really needs to stress too much about buying too much recovery gear besides a snatch strap. I carry my recovery kit anytime I go on a big trip regardless of where it is because I have been caught out. Sometimes something as innocent as driving off the side of the road can end in a recovery.........but no need to tell stories LOL

Should be a good thread this one :)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »
exhaust jack (i have one of these stupid things, I might take it to the desert and see if it can get some use finally!).

I'd say take it out there and leave it there, but that would be littering. Maybe mail it someone to use for a pillow.

Cheers Nomad.  :cheers:

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
4wd drive courses can be expensive.........you have time up you sleeve to join a club, most clubs run driver training for free. this might save some dollars that can be put into prepping your car. based on my trip across the simpson there is nothing really tough, i travelled solo via the rig rd, apart from one tosser towing a camper we didn't see anybody for the best part of three days.

you will be travelling with a group therefore there should be plenty of advice and assistance.......

as others have mentioned shocks, tyres and a well serviced car and you will be right. i am not sure what car you have but if its reasonability new than i assume it will have an lsd or traction control.......from memory only used high range apart from maybe big red. my rig has twin lockers and winch but they never got used

you next need to work out fuel, water and...................food, sleeping arrangements etc etc i.e will it all fit?. its easy to overpack, we did. my friends thought i was crazy on the easter camping trip prior to my simpson crossing, although we camp at the one spot for the 5 days i left the van at home and did a trial run of the trip i.e. i packed up every morning and unpacked in the afternoon, yep one day we didn't even leave the campsite. this help with the order to pack things.

get your maintenance done on the truck early, i was still putting my diff back together at 6pm the night before we left.

good idea to have a good recovery point on the front, i believe the french line can be pretty cut up at times so you may need a snatch early on while you work out getting over the dunes.........

i did have a nervous night sleep in birdsville about travelling solo and started to think i didn't have enough fuel..........the damn servo wasn't open in the morning as i decided i should carry an extra 20l.....as i wanted to beat the two tag alongs out of birdsville i bit the bullet and hoped i had enough........i had 160L onboard and only used around 80L

these threads will have you well prepared for the trip...........the simpson is awesome, enjoy the experience

cheers

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
i see you have a patrol and its just you and the wife......you have plenty of room and although not my choice of car its more than capable to do the crossing

Offline rodsswag

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Always dreamed it, now living it!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
The replies so far have been fantastic.
But there is 1 thing not yet mentioned, common sense.......
Most of us have it, it is better to stand there for 5 mins and think about it than just jump in and be stuck or worst.
I am sure there will be no trouble on the trip with the fearless leader.
Please have a croissant for me while you are out there.
 :cheers:

Rod.......
Swag
Coramal Caravan

Offline Wuzgonna

• Tent User
Vehicle essentials
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
Hi,

The more you take, the heavier you are and the more likely to break something.
It's a very fine balance that usually has you needing one of the items you left at home!!

Whatever you do take needs to be accessible as you do not want to be moving and repacking enormous amounts of gear every time you set up and pack up.

Good luck with it all! 

, The old rig gone but not forgotten...

Offline johnmm

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
G'day,

Having just done the Simpson (French line) west to east and beyond with a HDJ105 towing a Johnno's Walkup camper trailer, all good points as above, but take cable ties, gaffa tape and a good quality air pressure gauge. Ensure you drop your tyre pressures to suit the conditions, if it feels like you are struggling drop your tyres some more. Even 2-4 psi will make a big difference. There is no need to run flat out over the dunes this (and high tyre pressures) is what causes the dunes to get chopped up and damage to your vehicle. We didn't with the camper, yes sometimes you need a little bit of right foot but most of it we just idled over. For us about 15-16 psi worked for the car and trailer. Ensure you check your vehicle at least daily, or better yet when you stop and have a break. Take some locktite you will be surprised what screws come loose.

Most of all take your time and enjoy it, as it is bloody fantastic!

Our setup worked well, and i recall only reversing down one sand dune to give it another go, and this was due to me not really paying attention at the time. Whilst we had a bucket load of recovery gear/vehicles we didn't need it. Tyre pressures are the key.

Wish we were back there....

Cheers
John & Heather
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:43:47 PM by johnmm »
2000 HDJ-105 Landcruiser towing a Johnno's Dreamtime Offroad Camper.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
Thanks guys.  The list isn't to long, my wallet thanks you :cheers:

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »
Cable ties - for when it moves but should not
Duct tape - for when it moved a lot but should not
WD40 for when it does not move but should
Beer - for when you dont have it but someone else does

On a serious note most of the essentials are covered above one thing though do try to have some basic mencahical skills but if you do not know how to change it still take the spare part and chances are there will be someone along who does
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
Vehicle essentials
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »
i assume its been mentioned already, but a good small tool kit is essential..

take a look at the Ufixit tool kit. it looks like it has the goods and is packaged in a nice sized carry case.

Carry on...
1993 80 series landcruiser

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »
Some of these items have already been mentioned but some have not:

Make sure you take the vehicle manual/book. Knowing a little about where fuse locations are for ignition, fuel pump, cig plugs, lights, aircon as such. A voltmeter and test lamp, asst cable, electrical lugs, cable ties fuses and cable should cover most electrical problems.

Asst nuts, bolts, washers, wheel nuts, locktite, CRC, duct tape, fencing wire and a half decent tool kit with a BF hammer. Filters, belts fluids, radiator cap, hose clamps.

Most of this list above is stored in my cruza permanantly within the different storage compartments in the vehicle and the recovery bag.

First aid kit with some knowledge on how to use it.  I carry a pretty large kit with all sorts of goodies as well as a suture kit.

A good jack, tyre repair kit with extra tube of glue. I like the highlift but they are heavy and take a fair amount of room.

Common sense and a little less weight on the loud pedal helps too.  Good luck

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 09:28:45 AM »
A summary, anything missing? ???

Desert Gear

Personal
Common sense
Sense of humour
Introductory off-road training
advanced off-road training
First aid training

Vehicle
recovery points
tyre pressure gauge
compressor
dual batteries if you have a fridge
UHF radio, mounted or handheld or both
sand flag for the desert
LT tyres
after market suspension
a cargo barrier
good jack with base plate

Tools
recovery kit, snatch strap
shovel
Tyre repair kit
good small tool kit
vehicle manual/book

Spares
Asst nuts, bolts, washers,
wheel nuts,
locktite
cable ties,
gaffa tape
WD40
Filters,
belts
fluids, (engine oil, radiator fluid, ATF, brake fluid)
radiator cap,
hose clamps

Questions,
Do I need engine oil, radiator fluid, ATF, Break fluid that would be more than 20 litres all up for the Patrol
Does anyone happen to know what size sockets and open enders I need for the Patrol

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »

Desert Gear

Questions,
Do I need engine oil, radiator fluid, ATF, Break fluid that would be more than 20 litres all up for the Patrol
Does anyone happen to know what size sockets and open enders I need for the Patrol

I have a bit to say about the other stuff but ill do that later when I get some time but for this question, I only take 4ltrs of engine oil just in case I need to top up the engine (ive never had too but the old girls is getting on now so you never know)
I dont take take coolant anymore. Water will get you out of trouble and we all have plenty of that.
As for ATF and Brake fluid I take  a small bottle of brake fluid for the unlikely event I damage a brake hose and I need fluid after the repair.
Same as diff oil, I take just enough to get me out of trouble. I had a bearing collapse once and with some generosity was able to do a roadside repair, so in this instance the diff oil got me out of trouble until I could get some more 80 kays down the road.

You cant carry everything for every issue and Murphys law will insist on braking something you dont have a spare for ;)

How may kays on your patrol and what model etc is it?
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 11:27:12 AM »
The Patrol's an 08 CRD with 140,000 kms.

I had a stick flick up and knock off the hose to the ATF cooler and bugger the fan belt one day up in the high country.  I hope this was a freak occurrence but I needed more ATF and a new belt. (of course I had neither)

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
The Patrol's an 08 CRD with 140,000 kms.

I had a stick flick up and knock off the hose to the ATF cooler and bugger the fan belt one day up in the high country.  I hope this was a freak occurrence but I needed more ATF and a new belt. (of course I had neither)

Yes well realistically the need for engine oil is highly unlikely in your instance. But at 140000 kays depending on how much off road work you have done (muddy conditions) things like king pin bearings, make sure the radiator core and trans cooler is not full of crap (wont expose itself driving around home but it will when doing long driving days on a trip), is your clutch showing any signs of being worn out for instance.

So besides belts, hoses and yes 'emergency' fluids there is only so much you can prepare unless your very wealthy and just keep throwing money at new parts 'just in case'!

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline jetcrew

• "Lar's N Crew"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • The more you spend the less you go ? make sense!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 12:09:03 PM »
When we get a finalised list of attendees we can work out joint items such as oil /radiator coolant ect . although one could say each person should carry everything it is just not possible . most cars share some common fluids and so long as we as a group have the requisite fluids and equip we will as a group achieve the objective.

I once travelled in a group many moons ago where we had a combined 36ltrs of identical oil but no one had power steering fluid :'( :'( :'(..LOL. and no one needed any oil as Murphy would have it.

Jet ;D ;D
RV POWER SOLUTIONS
sales@rvpowersolutions.com.au
Solar and RV Power Specialists
https://www.facebook.com/pages/RV-Power-Solutions/1610471999204535

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »

Desert Gear

Personal
Introductory off-road training
advanced off-road training

Every one could benefit from doing these but is it essential? In my opinion its not, but I dont know how limited your driving experience may be.

Vehicle
after market suspension Only if your suspension is on its last legs otherwise save your money and use your stock gear

Spares
Some magyver type stuff like epoxy, radiator repair, metal mend etc

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 09:24:05 AM »
It appears sand flags are compulsory now too so everyone better grab themselves a flag!

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=34779.0;topicseen

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline jetcrew

• "Lar's N Crew"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 10:31:52 AM »
Maybe a group buy to get a good deal.

Jet ;D
RV POWER SOLUTIONS

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:03 AM »
Maybe a group buy to get a good deal.

Jet ;D

Not a bad idea although postage might be an issue, it may kill any discounts we get.

I didn't want to throw a lot of money at one seeing as it's probably only going to get used once.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline jetcrew

• "Lar's N Crew"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »
Maybe a sand flag hire thread .. A box of beer for say 3 weeks hire might work lol

Ask if any members want to hire or sell try wanted add maybe.

Jet :D
RV POWER SOLUTIONS

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
Not a bad idea although postage might be an issue, it may kill any discounts we get.

I didn't want to throw a lot of money at one seeing as it's probably only going to get used once.

have them delivered to Mt Dare or Birdsville which ever is you start point and pick them up on the way though....hang on mounting might be an issue