Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 2722 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Pet Insurance
« on: July 11, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
hi all,

we have just gained a new member of the family - a staffy-kelpie cross called 'scooter'... :)

just wondering if any forum members have pet insurance?

if so, any info on providers, happy/not happy, others things to consider would be greatly appreciated.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 10:54:12 AM »
Im with the guide dogs pet insurance and am happy so far
They are all pretty basic in their claiming however, meaning there is no card you swipe through and just pay the gap it seems with all you pay up front and claim back for emergency items that have not been pre approved by the insurers
I Drink & I Know Things
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:11:43 AM »
Choice mag recently did a comparison cover amongst the market and I'm sure they couldn't find one they would prefer?
They advised to simply bank an weekly/monthly amount and use that when needed!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
When we got the furry member of the family we did our research and discovered all pretty expensive and get more so as pup ages...goes up each year. So we opted to put some dollars aside each year just in case of a hefty bill..if not used then we are better off and haven't thrown money down the drain.. ...if we need it it's there and we don't have to find it up front like insurance company....
Desert Lover

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:19:58 PM »
Pretty much as everyone else has said. I think The Project had something a week or so ago saying Choice couldn’t find a good one and as mentioned, you’re probably better off putting the instalments into an account for if they’re ever needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
Righto, here's my "vet spiel" about pet insurance.

When I was full time vetting there were only two underwriters, and you'd be able to see that they pretty much offered the same thing (right down to they even had the same claim forms, just "rebadged"). I assume its still a pretty similar landscape, because it wasn't long ago I was still in the game.

You still need the moolah up-front to pay the bill. Stick it on the credit card if you need to, and claim it back later... that's fine. But make sure you're covered for what you think you are! Be very wary of pre-existing conditions, exclusions and the likes. READ YOUR FINE-PRINT.

Any cheap policy will come back to bite you. Had a lovely old pensioner client who diligently paid her dog's pet insurance premiums only to find out she was only covered for up to $500 per issue or something like that. Any vet will tell you that, sadly, $500 doesn't get you very far. It was heartbreaking, and I was rather angry about it, because she THOUGHT her dog was covered when it got sick as an older dog... but not for any useful amount. Felt like robbery to me.

Another option that I know a few of my clients did is create a bank account for their pet when they got it - one that accrues interest - and instead of paying premiums they'd deposit that money each month in there and it'd continue to grow. Chances are your pet is more likely to have expensive issues later in life, when that bank balance is looking nice and healthy. The other big costs are puppy vaccines and desexing, which hopefully you budgeted for when you got the pup. Most adult dogs are pretty trouble-free, with usual costs being vaccines, worming tablets etc. and the odd dental clean here and there. You can't promise an accident won't happen that will clean that bank account out earlier than expected - and maybe more - but if you're able to make up anything extra should you need to, that option might work out fine for you.

Pet insurance does have a place, but its not for everyone. Even though I've left full-time practice I still don't have pet insurance. Other vets I know - even while working in clinics - have pet insurance. You have to do your homework and work out what's best for you.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Mates german shep would have cost him thousands in treatment for his hips and when he had cancer.. he was happy to have been payin the bux a month

Timbo had a labradoodle Shitheap mixed up thing thats had 3 joint replacements and they were few grand each... Happy again for his insurance.

What level either were I dont know.. but its like any insurance.. ****in expensive until you need it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 08:25:58 PM »
We got pet insurance for our dogs after one of our previous dogs suffered a herniated disc. It cost $900 just for the vet to diagnose the problem. We were then told he could operate but there was a less than 30% chance of her coming out ok. He said he could only give a rough price on the cost, somewhere between $8k and $10k. We decided to have her put down but it wasn’t an easy decision.

So for the cost of less than 1 family pizza night a month we pay insurance. That said one of our current dogs has a congenital heart condition and the medication isnt covered but several other procedures/tests have been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »
We got pet insurance for our dogs after one of our previous dogs suffered a herniated disc. It cost $900 just for the vet to diagnose the problem. We were then told he could operate but there was a less than 30% chance of her coming out ok. He said he could only give a rough price on the cost, somewhere between $8k and $10k. We decided to have her put down but it wasn’t an easy decision.

So for the cost of less than 1 family pizza night a month we pay insurance. That said one of our current dogs has a congenital heart condition and the medication isnt covered but several other procedures/tests have been.

I look at it the same way as you mate we are not that good at saving so for the cost of a pizza a fortnight i am happy to have the insurance
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:16:52 AM »

I look at it the same way as you mate we are not that good at saving so for the cost of a pizza a fortnight i am happy to have the insurance

which provider/s are you with, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 09:18:43 AM »
I have the top cover through  Guide Dogs pet insurance
For a 6 month male Border Collie x Labrador male it costs me 22 dollars per fortnight
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »
We pay $40 a month to green Cross vets. It covers all bills and we get our dog washed regularly which is included in the price.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 10:37:03 AM »
which provider/s are you with, if you don't mind me asking?
Woolworths I think. The missus takes care of that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 12:57:27 PM »
RACQ for both our dogs

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
Last time I had a dog ( lovely whippet ) , when it got cancer, it was only $90 to get put down.

O'l mate out on the farm had a cheaper method....down the back paddock and a 22...!!   :laugh: :laugh:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fox67

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 08:44:57 PM »
We have a 9 year old Cavalier and have paid for Woolworths insurance since a pup. He was diagnosed with diabetes about 18 months ago and I don’t regret whatever it is we pay each month in premiums.
2023 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid
2019 Landcruiser 200 VX TTD
Tent and some camping gear