Author Topic: Some people share a bit too much information...  (Read 16413 times)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Some people share a bit too much information...
« on: January 29, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »
As a conscious non-subscriber to most the modern technological wonders (Facebook, Twitter, instagram, fitbits and all of the other apps that want to track you and use your data) I often think to myself if all of these people that freely give away all of their privacy ever think about the long term consequences.

One gets there feeling there is going to be a fairly large group of people that are about to realize they’ve shared a bit too much of their own private habits lately.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-01-29/strava-heat-map-shows-military-bases-and-supply-routes/9369490

Strava collects data from phones and fitness trackers such as Fitbit, and allows users to share their routine with friends and followers. Its aggregated heatmap shows information collected between 2015 and September 2017.

While security analysts often use satellite imagery to study military installations, Mr Ruser said the Strava data added an additional, possibly dangerous layer of information.

Using satellite imagery, you can see base buildings, for example. But on the heatmap, you can see which buildings are most used, or the jogging routes of soldiers.

"You can establish a pattern of life for a base," he said.

It also shows the turns patrols take when moving through towns in Syria: "You can see the main supply highway for US forces in Syria, and I just remember thinking 'f***, that's not good'," Mr Ruser said.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Some people share a bit too much information...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 03:12:31 PM »
I am with ya.....

Wait until the new generation of Google Home and the like get popular, only voice now but the new ones have a camera which will monitor the house occupants.  How nice....   The Selfie generation at its best I suppose.    Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 03:36:43 PM »
Didn't George Orwell write a book about "big brother"?
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:14:22 PM »
I can't see the problem with the facebook type things.......if you own a phone, google knows what you say already, unless you turn it off ..
If you have a desktop computer with a webcam, they can see you as well.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 05:55:49 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MadMarv

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:01:44 PM »
You carnt totaly hide from being monitored but you can make things a bit harder for mobs to link what you do/look at to who you are .... as in 2 friends have facebak and dont use there full names .... shortened 1st name and first 2 letters off last name .... me i use a totally diffrent name to my actual name for facebak ... just have to really think about what you want to share as once you let it out its out there forever
Regards

Marv

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 08:02:16 PM »
You carnt totaly hide from being monitored but you can make things a bit harder for mobs to link what you do/look at to who you are .... as in 2 friends have facebak and dont use there full names .... shortened 1st name and first 2 letters off last name .... me i use a totally diffrent name to my actual name for facebak ... just have to really think about what you want to share as once you let it out its out there forever

But you do all that and they still send you email crap because they know who you are. You're only hiding your real name from the general Facie crowd, who are generally your friends anyway.

Only share what you want the world to see.....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:03:50 PM by gronk »
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Yep should see Bird around the campfire shares way too much 😂
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 05:23:16 PM »
Yep should see Bird around the campfire shares way too much 😂
Swannie

Around a campfire is OK....usually 90% dribble anyway !!   :cheers: ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline MadMarv

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 06:44:15 PM »
But you do all that and they still send you email crap because they know who you are. You're only hiding your real name from the general Facie crowd, who are generally your friends anyway.

Only share what you want the world to see.....

Dont get any extra or unwanted emails .... guess i must be lucky ..... you are right thou and i do only share what i want the world to see .... once its out there its there forever
Regards

Marv

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:47:43 AM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-30/pentagon-reviewing-security-after-strava-app-reveals-locations/9373054

I hear all the time "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about".
But when you DO have something to hide, well....... ;)

I find it hilariously funny that the country that loves to data-mine the most has just had it's military personnel freely share all of its top secrete locations...
Ebay will be flooded with used fit bits now I guess, "For Sale, 1 fit bit. Only used enough times to give the enemy our location. Can post at your expense or available for pick up from Afghanistan." ;D

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 09:43:32 AM »
I'm quite sure the enemy 'in country' already know where the Infidel Imperialist Invaders are working from.

I mean, all those piles of sand bags, the white blokes wearing camoflage, carrying rifles and trying to grow beards, all the helicopters and armored trucks with guns hanging off them coming and going at all hours of the day and night are all a bit of a giveaway.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 09:48:11 AM by Hoyks »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 09:59:25 AM »
Reminds me of the first gulf war against Sadam, when the coalition took out  his radar units  every time they got turned on. To try and 
 blind his Anti Aircraft missile defence ..
The Iraqis then just used free to air real time weather satellite photo coverage of the region and further out, to track inbound aircraft, including the Stealth bombers and fighters .. Took a while and a few losses for the coalition to wake up to it ..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:01:42 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 10:20:28 AM »
I'm quite sure the enemy 'in country' already know where the Infidel Imperialist Invaders are working from.

I mean, all those piles of sand bags, the white blokes wearing camoflage, carrying rifles and trying to grow beards, all the helicopters and armored trucks with guns hanging off them coming and going at all hours of the day and night are all a bit of a giveaway.
Very true Hoyks, This tech is Just another string in the bow of war,  Observing from safety  where / when / how many and how often the creatures of habit repeat the same trip then use something like this to target and take them out  easily .. till they wake up to it and change their routines.
With the small drones these days you mostly cant see them / hear them, first thing you know is a shell burst right on top of or near you x that by ??? and its a real effect on morale .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmvumI5W5zM   ....   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3twO_dioP9o
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:25:30 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 02:51:24 PM »
I like to think of these 'wonders of modern technology' much like signing a contract.  Read the fine print fist before engaging.

By being a non subscriber, you risk isolating yourself from modern society.  That may be OK if that doesn;t worry you.

Personally, I have nothing to hide and I don't go jogging around secret military bases.  I'm even willing to exploit the technology for personal gain.  Might as well....

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »
You may not have anything to hide, but you have plenty that other less scrupulous people may want to see... Like seeing that you are currently away from home on holidays and that you have accidentally given away your home address when you had a garage sale, or had something advertised for sale, or even shared a background shot of you house that a local low life may recognise. Maybe you showed pics of an expensive purchase like a car or boat of camper trailer, that is not so hard to remove from your property.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 08:45:36 AM »
You may not have anything to hide, but you have plenty that other less scrupulous people may want to see... Like seeing that you are currently away from home on holidays and that you have accidentally given away your home address when you had a garage sale, or had something advertised for sale, or even shared a background shot of you house that a local low life may recognise. Maybe you showed pics of an expensive purchase like a car or boat of camper trailer, that is not so hard to remove from your property.
x trillions...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
By being a non subscriber, you risk isolating yourself from modern society.  That may be OK if that doesn;t worry you.
Can honestly say that I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything much personally.

The only thing I can think of is when friends (that is actual friends, not Facebook "friends") organize a camping or 4WDing trip together on Facebook and I get a quick text message or phone call to let me know it's on. I guess I miss out on a little bit of chatter leading up to the trip, but I still get out there with my mates in the end.

Yesterday was a perfect example of why I can live happily without it.
Got a phone call early in the morning from an old surfing buddy that I haven't seen or spoken to in over 8 years. He was going to be on the sunny coast for the day and wanted to catch up for a wave.
I was busy with work and couldn't get to the beach, so he came out to my place in the afternoon, we had a couple of beers and caught up on 8 years worth of each other's lives. It was awesome!
Probably won't see him again for a few more years, but we'll have heaps more stories to tell next time we do catch up.

Absolutely agree.
Take a selfie on the way out the door and post "we're off on our 3 week holiday, only have the pet sitter coming over on Tuesdays and Thursdays to feed the cat. I hope our brand new boat is ok just parked in the driveway".

And my other favorite is job applicants.
Facebook is basically part of your resume these days.
Apply for pretty much any job today and your basically guaranteed the employer is looking at your Facebook page before they even think about calling you in for an interview.
You can have all your privacy settings on (if you choose to believe that actually helps your privacy), but you only have to 'like' a few dodgy pages or have a couple of "friends" with open pages that are full of trash and you've painted a picture of yourself for everyone else to see...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:27:56 AM by Pete79 »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »
Quote from: Pete79
You can have all your privacy settings on (if you choose to believe that actually helps your privacy)...

There are companies that ask to see your stalkerbook page too as part of the interview if you have it locked down..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 11:17:40 AM »
There are companies that ask to see your stalkerbook page too as part of the interview if you have it locked down..
never had one, so it's a non issue for me...life goes on fine without it 8)
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »
Hi,
      not everyone uses FB, or am I on me Pat Malone here?
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »
Quote from: austastar
Nope never had it myself.
The only thing with families, is nearly every kids sport is now 'controlled' updated/run through stalkerbook... so She has stalkerbook and lives on it, so do many at work here.. cant go 10 mins without stalkering ??? baffles me.

I reckon there'll be mass suicides eventually when stalkerbook closes
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 11:41:43 AM »
Hi,
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Nah mate, I'm with you, who really needs all that crap and Troopy you forgot that most photos you take these days shom your location in the photo details so its not hard to find your address

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
Nah mate, I'm with you, who really needs all that crap and Troopy you forgot that most photos you take these days shom your location in the photo details so its not hard to find your address

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Only if you post pics with meta data include,  or if you post direct from your phone, unless you have location services selected off, but yes I forgot about that bit.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.