Author Topic: Upright Fridge  (Read 3493 times)

Offline stephenh1235

• Tent User
  • Have gun will travel
Upright Fridge
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:12:15 AM »
Hi All,
        Has anyone on site bought or have direct experience with the "Glacio = Unbranded" upright fridge/freezers on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/95L-Portable-Freezer-Fridge-12V-24V-240V-Camping-Car-Boating-Caravan-Bar-Fridge/253341955901?epid=11003306880&hash=item3afc5b773d:g:OIAAAOSwa0VaS6nR

I currently have a 3 year old 95L "Engel" upright fridge/freezer in our slide on camper, but the best the fridge compartment gets down to is 10 degrees, though the freezer box freezes no problem!  We have no fridgie"s in town & the local air con guy say's he is unable to check the gas levels as the unit is sealed with no test points,- cost to get the fridge to be checked at a service centre is giving me consideration of alternatives.

Also noted the Engel upright is rated at 30watts & the Glacio is rated at 45watts.
Be great to hear from someone, thanks, Steve.
2004 Mitsubishi 4WD Canter
2003 HZJ105
2014 Palamino 1251ss slide on

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Upright Fridge
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:01:47 PM »
Could you fit a couple of  computer fan to help circulate the cold air from the freezer ..
 I take it thats the only part that supplies the cooling for the lower section of the fridge like most small uprights .. Guess you have made sure the door seals are in very good condition and the door closes tightly .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: stephenh1235

Offline DeBe

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 04:50:40 PM »
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=74551  Check this out here is some issues with there suitability.

Offline stephenh1235

• Tent User
  • Have gun will travel
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 09:33:00 AM »
Thanks DeBe,,
                    A real interesting read through all the posts on that topic & I will be continouing to follow in helping to decide.  Steve
2003 HZJ105

Offline stephenh1235

• Tent User
  • Have gun will travel
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:03:14 AM »
To continoue with my Engel upright fridge performance issues, I took on board suggestion from Edz,

" Could you fit a couple of  computer fan to help circulate the cold air from the freezer ..
 I take it thats the only part that supplies the cooling for the lower section of the fridge like most small uprights .. Guess you have made sure the door seals are in very good condition and the door closes tightly ."

After installing a small case fan below freezer box,temperature minimum gain was down to 9 degrees. On checking exterior ventilation space I noted a similiar case fan = part of the manufacturers package that blows over the exterior condensor,and this was working well! I also found a 240V plug & lead,so I connected to mains supply & noted a change in "tone"of the compressor running (eg.stronger-bit louder). I have left this running for 24 hours (temps outside at 45 degrees!) with new interior fan going also.Result this morning is 4.6 degrees which I am happy with.
Question now is,with a better performance from 240V supply over the 12V supply, would it be worth while upgrading original 12V wiring? My slide on is a yankee Palamino with the wiring standard equivelant of a "Jayco" - white & black cables! Is it worthwhile upgrading to 6 - 8 B&S?  cable run direct to battery is approx 3.5 metres, original run is anyones guess with it coming from a factory install fuse box.The original fridge was a 3 way Thetford, & have found this Engel is a 2016 manufacture.
Thanks ,Steve.

2003 HZJ105

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
Not being a Sparky. 
Looking at your link,  the pic shows the compressor to be 12v / 24v So the 240V  would be getting stepped down to 12v any way .. Being old wiring with any amount of differing connections joins etc I would Jerry Rig direct power to the fridge from a good battery and see how it performed .. If it went better then set up a direct power line permanently .
 With 12V have always gone with Direct Big multi core wire  is best over long power lead runs and make sure of GOOD clean Fused connections and  multiple GOOD Earthing  points from Battery to the chassis  and close to the unit being powered ..
Could give the condensor unit a good bow out to clear dust lint build up, Clean and check all power terminals for corrosion etc   ... 
Is the fridge space vented to the outside as well, Might pay to set up a couple of say 6" computer fans to draw in cool air and another couple to vent the area as DaveR has done on his Jayco  http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=51670.25    and his dust sealing   
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=51670.225
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:42:08 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: stephenh1235