Author Topic: Evakool 12v fridges  (Read 7242 times)

Offline jayray377

• Sleeping Bag User
Evakool 12v fridges
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:56:13 AM »
Hey all,

I am looking for people with experience on the Evakool brand of 12v fridges, particularly the Glacier G61
 (https://www.evakool.com/fridges/evakool-glacier-fridge-freezers/61-litre-evakool-glacier-metal-fridge-freezer)

I have done some research and it appears that this size would support our needs (along with the Engel MT60, at double the price) over the comparable Waeco due to its lower profile.

Aside from the price difference it also appears that the Evakool is Australian made.

I would be most interested in people’s experiences with this brand/fridge.

Thanks Joel
99 TD5 Discovery, Aussie Camper Trailers - Flinders (2017)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Evakool 12v fridges
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:38:28 AM »
They are an Australian company who make their Fibreglass fridge/esky's here but their other products they get made OS, I have an Evakool and am fairly happy with it, they seem to have a good reputation and service network as well, the length of their warranties differ with their different ranges. If you haven't already, check out their website as they often have factory seconds at good prices as well.

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:23:07 AM »
Don't know if this would interest you. They are seconds but at the bottom states 5 years warranty and comes with free cover.
https://www.evakool.com/factory-seconds/fridges-factory-second/65-litre-tmx-fridge-freezer-second

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
Have a 60l one in our camper, 2006 model, and very happy with it. Cools down very quickly, never had a problem with it. Have a 50l Waco in the cruiser and very happy with it also, lives in the cruiser now days,  however it takes a little longer to cool down then the Evakool.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
I recently purchased an RF60.l for our new tug.......height of the fridge was main factor, it’s the lowest 60L in the market 

It been good to date, actually very good.

I also have two Engels sitting in the garage, both worked well when they were in service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline mickn

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »
Hi,

I have one that was sold through (the old) Ray's outdoors, didn't come with the basket as shown in the link.   There is no doubt that it works, as if I fill it with cans or stubbies it freezes all the ones around the edge.   Turning the thermostat to a higher temperature fixes that, but then nothing is cold.   I have tried installing spacers to act like a basket and keep the content from being in contact with the walls, but that didn't work either.   I think the cooling plate(s) must all be in the rear left hand corner which is the cause of the issue.

Works fine as a freezer.   You get what you pay for.   I also have a 20 year old 38 or 40 litre Engel which is still going like it was new.   When the Evakool dies I know what investment I will be making to replace it.

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:00:36 PM »
Hi,

I have one that was sold through (the old) Ray's outdoors, didn't come with the basket as shown in the link.   There is no doubt that it works, as if I fill it with cans or stubbies it freezes all the ones around the edge.   Turning the thermostat to a higher temperature fixes that, but then nothing is cold.   I have tried installing spacers to act like a basket and keep the content from being in contact with the walls, but that didn't work either.   I think the cooling plate(s) must all be in the rear left hand corner which is the cause of the issue.

Works fine as a freezer.   You get what you pay for.   I also have a 20 year old 38 or 40 litre Engel which is still going like it was new.   When the Evakool dies I know what investment I will be making to replace it.

Fit a 12V blower fan and increase the temp setting. If the outsides are freezing the evap plate is too cold. If you increase temp and things aren't cool enough, either the setting is too high or your getting no convection. I fit blower fans to all my fridges. It will add 4Ah to your power consumption over a day, but everything will be uniform in temp. It brings the dairy section alive on my cfx50 and uniform temps (even up at the lid) on all the others.

I have an FM70. Great fridge, but it is ridiculously power hungry.  Also having an engel 40, a CFX50 and a CF25, the CFX50 craps all over the lot. Seriously look into them, with their VMSO II variable speed compressor, they are the most efficient fridge I've tested. I compared mine to a bushman 50 recently:

https://youtu.be/o3V7JAOsIJM
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 11:25:40 PM »
we have an FM70, On a Kimberley trip.

Not very happy with it. tried to use it as fridge/freezer. used up power like crazy.
Plus stuff was defrosting.
Then noticed the lid or body is warped and the seal has a 2 - 3mm gap in some places.

we got rid of frozen food and run it as a fridge using ratchet straps to try to seal it. It worked better.

Back home sent warranty claim to Evacool, hear nothing for 2 weeks.
Take it to place of purchase, who tried to help but Evacool took 5 weeks to send a new seal.

Works better now but it hasn't had to deal with over 30°C ambient yet.

While the new seal is better its not great and I believe that it is one cause of excessive power usage.

Interestingly just before christmas I get an email from Evacool some 4 months after my warranty claim,
"can you send your fridge to us" so we can have a look".

I won't be buying another Nevacool...

Offline skog

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:40:07 AM »
Fit a 12V blower fan and increase the temp setting. If the outsides are freezing the evap plate is too cold. If you increase temp and things aren't cool enough, either the setting is too high or your getting no convection. I fit blower fans to all my fridges. It will add 4Ah to your power consumption over a day, but everything will be uniform in temp. It brings the dairy section alive on my cfx50 and uniform temps (even up at the lid) on all the others.

I have an FM70. Great fridge, but it is ridiculously power hungry.  Also having an engel 40, a CFX50 and a CF25, the CFX50 craps all over the lot. Seriously look into them, with their VMSO II variable speed compressor, they are the most efficient fridge I've tested. I compared mine to a bushman 50 recently:

Thanks for the review, my 80l waeco has a refrigerant leak and can't be fixed, so looking what is around.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 07:17:04 AM »

I’ve had evakool fridges since they were supakool. The original supakool had the evaporator plate rolled up in a corner and a computer fan on top. It dragged some power but we used it to freeze fish fillets which it did better than any other fridge I have owned. You can buy baskets straight from the factory, they are kind of important. If the bloke with the ‘nevakool’ Wants to get rid of his I’ll buy it for the right price no probs.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 07:35:30 AM »
For decades I have had Engel and Trailblazer. No problems. Had a 50 litre fibreglass evakool and it sucked power at a bad rate. Had connections tested and fixed. It was only ever second to an Engel....With firdges I truly believe that you get what you pay for. . Recent trip had a 40 litre Engel used in temps around the 40 degree mark for 3 days.  Refrig at 3 degrees and opened constantly for liquid refreshments saw a total of 30 amps used average a day...very happy with that. Plenty of people happy with their Engels, Waecos, Evakools etc.etc. Experience with a branded fridge soon lets you know whether you made the right choice
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 09:24:55 AM »
Gday jayray377

We had a glacier series 45 litre ( ended up with three actually, other two were sent under warranty) and they were the worst pieces of cr*p we ever owned.Had the fridges sent back so many times for warranty work we ended up loosing count.
Evakool blamed everything but themselves over the issues.Told me the 1st time that my wiring wasnt big enough to handle the current ( i wired in 8mm direct from battery to fridge with nothing else drawing from it).They also blamed my Redarc isolator ( which i changed for a dc - dc charger) , $700 worth mind you.Fridge would go into ERROR mode and shut down in both cases.Finally had enough of owning the nightmare brand and bought a new Dometic weaco, best bit of kit imo.
Evakool Glacier brand make a very expensive ice box thats all.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:26:50 AM by MarkGU »
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
It might be worth noting that it appears the glacier line is extremely similar to some other branded fridges available. My guess is it's a generic fridge from a factory with their branding on it.

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 10:16:35 AM »
It might be worth noting that it appears the glacier line is extremely similar to some other branded fridges available. My guess is it's a generic fridge from a factory with their branding on it.
the warranty repair guy for Nevakool told us that its the poor soldering and circuitry in those brand fridges that are the problem.Evakool blatantly refuse to acknowledge its their problem which is the problem to start with.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »

On Evakool's website the white fibreglass 47l fridge  is $1369. A 55l from their Fridgemate line is $1199.  The Glacier range  45l is $945 RRP but appears to be on special at $649.

Says it all really.

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 12:00:12 PM »
I'm shocked. Everywhere I go, I seem to be the only one unhappy with my evakool. Everyone else seems to think they are just the best....until this thread started. Its really the first bad comments I've heard on evakool as a brand. To be clear though, I'm only unhappy with its power consumption - 50Ah per day as a fridge - almost 2.5 times the power usage of any other I've tested in the same conditions. I believe its due to the physical size of the unit. It is very long and wide in comparison to its depth, and I believe its this length x width/height ratio that's the issue. Have a look at any other fridge on the market, they all have at least twice the depth verses its length/breadth. As convection makes hot air rise and cold air sink, its this depth that controls power verses temperature. It also stops hot air entering and cold air escaping a bent lid. It can only be due to the exposed surface area of length x breadth verses its depth.

Yes, the lid bend issue on the fm70 is well known. Easy fixed yourself by just adding some adhesive foam from clark rubber or the like. More cost effective, time efficient and less stress than trying a warranty claim.

I ran mine as a fridge freezer for a 6 week trip once. It worked well. But you have to root around a little before hand to get the temps right between each side. The gap under the divider is your temperature difference control and you need to experiment with that to get it where you want it. Noting it has only a half evaporator plate - as this design needs if you want to run it in dual zones.

I have 3 blog entries on fridges. An FM70 review and how I played with divider height to get my temps right. A comprehensive review on fridge power consumption (I hope to be able to add the kickass 89L dual zone soon) and another on how to mod your fridge with a fan. Unfortunately, they are all but useless at the moment due to photobucket and I cant get the time to correct them yet. But if you wish, I can link them, they have no pics only my waffle.

So, no matter what brand or model you choose, my recommendations on a ducks nuts fridge is below;

1. Variable speed motor. You just don't know how efficient these are until you have used one. I've tested 3 Waeco models, 2 ARB models and 1 techni-ice model with variable speed controllers and I'm sold.

2. If you want dual zones, get one with separate compartments and individual compartment controls. I'm not an advocate of running freezers as those that know me would know. So my additional advice is to think long and hard if you really need to run a freezer.

3. Full wrap around evaporator plate, which probably isn't an issue these days except for single compartment dual zones with a removable divider

4. Have a think about depth. While its great to be able to store high items like wine bottles, soft drink bottles etc, its also a damn pain in the arse having to remove everything to get to that item you placed in the bottom. My biggest issue with an engel 40 - that and the cheap arsed Shitty made in the back shed handles they still come with after more than 30 years of service.

5. And lastly, add a blower fan. You can add baskets to the top to help minimise the issue at #4 and the fan will keep both that and any dairy compartment you may have at uniform temperatures. In fact, its my opinion any dairy compartment is useless without one.

Hope that gives you some more to think about.

Cheers!
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
The following users thanked this post: Chappie

Offline TuffBT50

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
You can get good and bad. Guess it depends on your level of expectations to begin with cheap camper trailers are a prime example of this.

Personally I have the old travelmate BCD60 in the back of my BT50, its about 4-5yrs old now and never missed a beat. There was one time recently were it wasn't cooling, found out the plug wasnt in 100% into the fridge as the cable had become stuck in the slide, fridge was on but wouldn't cool to below 8degree. quick fix and 1hr later beer was freezing. Bought at a show special and was used for food/drinks while touring on and offroad, its done the best part of 40k on and another 100k just strapped in the back. Now she's the beer fridge as the new (8month) camper has a 75L dual lid glacier in it, it has dual compartments and seperate controls. Its done about 5weeks work already and so far rock solid. Key to any fridge is keeping the dust out, air flow and cleaning when turned off. This is as simple as turn off with the lid open, wait 2-3hrs then wipe clean/dry.

Black 2015 BT50 with lots of gear
2017 Modcon FF1-III with mods to follow

Offline ant_schomacker

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »
We’ve got the RV80 from evakool and had no issues with it apart from the dryer packing it in after several years of corrugations. Replaced for around $200 and no issues since.

I do wish that it was a little less power hungry though... 40-50ah used per 24h period (admittedly climate is not helping here in FNQ)

Ant

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »
Have a Glacier 75 three years old and has not missed a beat. I reckon it gets to 60 deg in the back of the D.Max some time and it still keeps everything frozen, and only paid $750 for it new.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »
I have a 60l evacool, a 60l Engel and a 73 l Autofridge.
All are good fridges. Personally I like the evacool for the insulation it has but I have had a few issues with just loose wiring. I put new crimps on and all is good now.
I also like the idea of having a freezer if needed.

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »
Have a Glacier 75 three years old and has not missed a beat. I reckon it gets to 60 deg in the back of the D.Max some time and it still keeps everything frozen, and only paid $750 for it new.
Bruce.
you remember giving me that power cord to try at Rainbow beach when we last saw you? had trouble with those fridges for a couple of years after that.

So glad to see the end of the total nightmare.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline jayray377

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »
Update to this topic

Supercheap has a 60l Evakool for $599 (supposed 40% discount.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Ridge-Ryder-by-Evakool-Platinum-Fridge-Freezer-60-Litre/359559

Might be worth the risk for that

JR
99 TD5 Discovery, Aussie Camper Trailers - Flinders (2017)

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 06:46:46 PM »
I've got a Glacier 75ltr dual lid. Been to both sides of Australia and keep the freezer frozen and the fridge cold even in 44 degree days. Been super happy with it.
Courier crushed it when I first bought it, evakool replaced it, no questions asked. I'd get another one.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 10:53:23 PM »
Update to this topic

Supercheap has a 60l Evakool for $599 (supposed 40% discount.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Ridge-Ryder-by-Evakool-Platinum-Fridge-Freezer-60-Litre/359559

Might be worth the risk for that

JR

That's a fantastic price. We bought the exact same fridge just on 5 years ago and have had no issues with it so far. We wanted more space so sold our 40L Engel and bought this as the asking price for the Engel in the equivalent size was just too much to justify at the time. I would say that Engel is definitely the best (my old man's 30 year old Engel is still going strong) but for the price the Evakool suits us fine.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar