Author Topic: What suspension do you run?  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Learning the Ropes
What suspension do you run?
« on: November 16, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »
Ok people here's a quick question...
If you were to build an off-road hybrid camper ( yep it's time to upgrade the pizza & bar camper ) what suspension would you run?...  I have always had leaf springs with solid axle on all my campers or caravans and my last trailer has done the cape etc and never let me down but now everyone is trying to convince me the only way to go is independent suspension but finding it had to justify the extra 3 grand over leafs....
so what's your thoughts???

Offline TonyF8

• Tent User
Re: What suspension do you run?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »
Google Timbren suspension, there is a dealer in Melbourne from memory, its independent,  but not what the mass of independent suspension currently on the market is, its tough and not expensive, it comes out of thr USA
Stay safe and play fair.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:41:31 PM »
A lot of manufacturers went to ind susp only because their opposition did.  Technically ind is better, but the old leaf susp ( eye to eye ) isn't as outdated as some may have you believe.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
My next build is going to be a X-Over style hard shell [ K Karavan style ]  with a direct copy [ Rip off  ;D  ] of Diesel Dudes trailer suspension, Worth having a read to the end of the build ..   http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31775.0  For me its better / stronger / lighter and less complicated than independent types .
You could ad airbag springs for adjustable ride height / differing loads and camp site leveling, as Challenged and Homebuilt has http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=51269.msg904744;boardseen#new   .....   http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=40452.msg664858#msg664858
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:05:09 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
Hi Holt, I would use the same as I have under my boat trailer now its over 20 years old and still working great, its HJ 75 front springs with coils over the top, with Toyota disc brakes and bearings with 65mm box axle and Toyota stub axles, most of it was bought second hand from the 4wd wreckers it cost me under a few hundred dollars, Craig   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:54:25 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Metters

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:43:09 PM »
I have always had leaf springs with solid axle on all my campers or caravans and my last trailer has done the cape etc and never let me down but now everyone is trying to convince me the only way to go is independent suspension but finding it had to justify the extra 3 grand over leafs.

Stay with leaf springs.  Most of the independents look very impressive but when you take to time to study their geometry and operation, many of them leave a lot to be desired.  Leafs have worked for you in the past and they will continue to do it.

I have built six trailers dating back to the first in the 1960s.  All except a very light weight motorcycle trailer had hollow axles and car springs.  There is far too much unsprung weight in the common 50 mm square solid axles.   

I started building a small light weight box trailer earlier this year for carrying camping gear only.  Its interior has many separate compartments making it look like an egg carton.  I have not touched it for around six months while I have been helping to build a community garden but from memory its 60.3 mm outside diameter 4.5 mm wall tube axle complete with welded in stubs and hubs weighed only 26 kilos.   The wheel track is the same as my Hilux.

The springs are single leaf car springs that weigh 7 kg each.  They will support a lot more weight than this trailer will put on them.   They are mounted with the front down and the rear shackles up much higher as in cars.  This can create a small amount of roll understeer which can help with stability in some situations on the road.  I have also used the shocks that came from the same car as the springs.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »
Have a read of GOJEEPS trailer build and set up of his trailer suspension / brakes . http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoTrailerPlans1.htm
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Metters

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 02:05:31 PM »
Have a read of GOJEEPS trailer build and set up of his trailer suspension / brakes .

Thanks edz.  I was looking for that site last night but could not find it.  He has added  "Willys hot rod" to his web address since the last time I looked at it.  He has been building that thing for years and it looks like it is nearly finished.  http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20217&start=2430  The engine seems to have sufficient power to keep up with the traffic and get him to camping sites in a hurry.

His trailer suspension design will change the angle of the axle slightly in corners.  Your typical short in length trailer springs will do the same thing but in the wrong direction.  Car springs are long with the front mount down low and the rear up high.  When fully loaded they are flat or very close to it.  This causes many owners to think they are not up to the job.  As the car goes into say a left hand corner, the car will lean to the right.  This will cause the spring to compress even further and take the axle up and forward as it pivots around the single bolt through the front eye of the spring.  The other spring will have weight taken off it so it moves the axle down and back.  The axle in now pointing slightly in the direction the car is being steered.  This turns the wheels back into the distorted tyres and reduces their slip angles.  That in turn reduces the chances of the car oversteering and sliding its tail out instead of understeering as the manufacturer intended.

When you look at the short high arc springs commonly used under trailers, you will see that the front and rear ends of the spring are mounted at the same height under a flay surface.  As the spring flattens in corners, it can only turn the axle the wrong way and increase the chances of the trailer oversteering. 

This is not all that much of an issue with small trailers like campers but it certainly is with long heavy caravans. 

The following users thanked this post: GeoffA