Author Topic: Drifta DOT 6 Camping Trailer - Long Term Review  (Read 4433 times)

Offline trngia

• Tent User
Drifta DOT 6 Camping Trailer - Long Term Review
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:44:59 PM »
After two years of ownership I managed to get round to putting together a video reviewing how the Drifta Camping Trailer has performed. The first year we spent many weekends and weeks away and then just this month completed a one year Big Lap in the DOT trailer.  If you would like to see my review then checkout the YouTube link..

https://youtu.be/3Wu0b9Hys_o
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Drifta DOT 6 Camping Trailer - Long Term Review
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:08:48 AM »
Hi Trngia, Great review thanks for sharing, all though I did not watch it all, If I was looking at buying one I would of,  lovely set up trailer , Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline trngia

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:48:25 PM »
Hi Trngia, Great review thanks for sharing, all though I did not watch it all, If I was looking at buying one I would of,  lovely set up trailer , Craig

Cheers, thanks Craig

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
Good review......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »
Nice detailed review, Just wanting to confirm, did you say you ran 2 fridges with just 80w of solar and the alternator and never ran out of power?

Offline trngia

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:55:15 AM »
Nice detailed review, Just wanting to confirm, did you say you ran 2 fridges with just 80w of solar and the alternator and never ran out of power?

Yes. That’s right. I had an ARB 40L in the vehicle and the evakool in the trailer. 80 amp hour in the vehicle and two 120 amp hours in the camping trailer.  Big thing is here that we didn’t hang around for longer than a week in places and with a mix of charging while driving, solar and then full charges on electric hookup it all worked well.  If you were to make base for longer and not doing much driving then you would need a much bigger panel. All depends on the type of travelling you are doing and all the usual factors on weather etc. :-)
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:00:38 PM »
Yes. That’s right. I had an ARB 40L in the vehicle and the evakool in the trailer. 80 amp hour in the vehicle and two 120 amp hours in the camping trailer.  Big thing is here that we didn’t hang around for longer than a week in places and with a mix of charging while driving, solar and then full charges on electric hookup it all worked well.  If you were to make base for longer and not doing much driving then you would need a much bigger panel. All depends on the type of travelling you are doing and all the usual factors on weather etc. :-)

Good to know, I tend to disagree with the blanket type statements of "you will need 200w solar min"  to run a fridge as it is generally based on overly simplistic assumptions, good to have a real-world reference to point people too, and an extreme one at that 80w running 2 fridges (with the car & top-ups) for a whole year.