Author Topic: ALL FOR ADVENTURE.....Simpson desert  (Read 21029 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: ALL FOR ADVENTURE.....Simpson desert
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »
Appears to be registered in this photo

Rego doesn't mean engineered
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »
MR MAXTRAX has a 6x6 200 that is fully engineered in QLD....should be straight forward for a 79’series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »
MR MAXTRAX has a 6x6 200 that is fully engineered in QLD....should be straight forward for a 79’series.

you'd think the 6x6 is straight forward as JMACX have done the engineering already, but not when it's running portal axles and 37" tyres though, they did some chopping and altering to get what they have on that new 79...but appears they managed somehow
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 07:45:43 PM »
you'd think the 6x6 is straight forward as JMACX have done the engineering already, but not when it's running portal axles and 37" tyres though, they did some chopping and altering to get what they have on that new 79...but appears they managed somehow

and the air bag suspension
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »
Oh, didn’t know the specifics of the 70series

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »
Oh, didn’t know the specifics of the 70series

it's an impressive build, you can watch it on YouTube in a 6 part series I think it was....no idea how they got it regi steered on a Qld road though considering how strict they normally are here.

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 10:05:04 PM »
It looks tuff as. Yet I bet jackroo with a 2in lift would go further.
6x6 = crap off rd abilities bar in a straight line.

But hey thats just my opinion......
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 10:14:13 PM »
Just to save everyone else some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8WJg-SgoQ

4x4's introduction to the 6x6 Toyota.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 05:00:48 AM »
Geez.....thanks for the link

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 05:01:35 AM »
It was an interesting watch for me, as we've just returned from a trip down the Hay River Track and acrosd the QAA Line. There were three of us, and yes, we were all towing.
I got stuck on the very first dune on the Hay, but apart from that, we had no dramas at all. Low tyre pressures (15psi front and Kamper, 18psi rear) sand was super soft as we had temps of 40deg plus!
It's funny some people's attitude towards towing across the Simpson. I know it is discouraged, bit it is not forbidden. We pulled into Poeppel Cnr, and there was a group of half a dozen people there, and the looks they gave us when they saw we were all towing could have curdled milk!!!
Having said that, i wouldn't tow heading the other way (East to West). The eastern faces of the dunes were badly chopped up, massive wombat holes and steep faces.
I dunno when the A4A boys did the trip, but I reckon they might have struggled a bit more than they showed,  especially getting that van up some of the dunes.
Was a good watch anyway!
Cheers
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 06:03:57 AM »
Hi Callmejoe, Gee I have never driven a 6x6 4wd but I driven heaps of boggy drive tippers and they will go heaps more places better than a single drive tripper, So I would thought that a true 6x6 and not a lazy axle 6x6 would go really well, in the vid they did it perform well, Craig

Hi Brickiematt, Is worth the drive and how much fuel did you burn, I would not mind going for a look one year with my sons, Craig
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:06:30 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 06:49:22 AM »
I drove 6x6 for many year....yeah bigger turning circle but a two point turn normally gets you heading in the right direction

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 07:19:57 AM »
no idea how they got it regi steered on a Qld road though considering how strict they normally are here.
Individual constructed prototype  on the Engineering papers maybe ?    and registered as a JMACX -##  prototype .. From memory,  If the laws havent changed over the years you could  build  x  ###   individual prototypes without having to crash test and so long as they meet the ADRs of the current year of completeion  .     
EDIT :   Google :    registering individual constructed prototype cars in QLD      . brings up a QLD transport  PDF file  on it
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:24:28 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 08:16:23 AM »
Agree, I think the majority of the dune climbs was not filmed, but I was impress with the 200 pulling that caravan up with little wheel spin. Yes, it was bogged very bad once (ignoring the 1,000 other dunes) Still, they made an effort to fill the holes with some shovel work, (similar to the old 4wd action dvd's).
The Gall Boys towed parted of the Canning with a Kedron and standard 200. They suffered and turn back. For me, it shows the differents between experience offroad towing and experience outback towing. I am sure that the A4A boys can complete the Canning with the van with little effort.

There are enough stories about towing and not towing, we can just follow the law. Some idiots will tow and some tools will drive in 2wd, but the vast majority will stay within their comfort zone - tow if they are experience and drive in 4H.

If I win a 6x6 I'll sell it, useless for anything other than show pony. For that money I'll buy an ex-army Unimog and set it up for touring/Fraser Island fishing. Atleast I know the Unimog will still be running after 10 years. Wonder if the 6x6 will last that long.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 09:08:28 AM »
Hi PWE, Deany from Deans ice at Rainbow Beach has a Yellow 6x6 Toyota around 1995 model tray back ex mines truck it has the Diesel mulitivavle motor in it putting out 240rwhp it tray is 10 or 12 feet long great looking rig, They have had it running about 3ton of ice or firewood up fraser for years and they love it goes anywhere he said, but it does were out the back tires as they scrub off turning, Unmogs are good but very high and you can not get into a lot of places that overhang trees, Craig   

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 09:15:50 AM »

If I win a 6x6 I'll sell it, useless for anything other than show pony. For that money I'll buy an ex-army Unimog and set it up for touring/Fraser Island fishing. Atleast I know the Unimog will still be running after 10 years. Wonder if the 6x6 will last that long.

The 6x6 will last a long time

http://www.allisons.org/ll/4/LandRover/Perentie/

http://www.remlr.com/perentie-6-gs.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:17:23 AM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 12:37:18 PM »
Sorry, I was not clear, I am referring to the Patriot/JMacx 6x6, not the army LR 6x6.
I know that they test and retest everything while they built the Patriot/JMacx 6x6, but I would like to see how it goes in 10 years time.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »
Queensland Transport do let you modify to 6x6's --> "The fitment of an additional axle is permitted in Queensland under the LB2 modification code." (From QLD Code of Practice Vehicle Modifications 2017, LB2 code is part of the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction & Modification)

One of the reasons for doing it in QLD is to get your GVM higher - you can potentially exceed QLD's "only increase by 10% factory GVM" cut-off with an additional axle.

That said, I'm not sure the cost would be worth it, or the manoeuvrability issues like others have mentioned... I wouldn't do it, but that's not to say it isn't legal.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 05:48:07 PM »
Plenty of mobs in Qld do lazy axles and 6x6.
Saw these on fb today. $30k buys the lazy axle and tub setup ready to drive off. Bit more for the 6x6 version.
The ranger goes on the road with 4500 kg tow at 1900 kg payload which is just under the magic 4495kg truck licence and registration cutoff.

Photo was of a tubbed 6wd ranger but as usual this archaic site won’t upload it.
http://www.sixwheeler.com.au/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:57:41 PM by GBC »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »
Think the Blokes might have been  watching reruns of Top Gear on youtube .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaNk116b2kw  ..
Wonder what the warranty and parts back up of all those custom made bits would be like  if you broke something ..  Can the Toy Toyota  deflate / reinflate all six tires by pushing a button in the cab too .
They could always go retro ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:55:27 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2017, 05:21:37 AM »
I agree that these 6 wheelers look cool but is there any real advantage over something like Iveco Daily 4X4?

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 06:30:19 AM »
Hi Alan, If you love going to out of the way places the Iveco 4x4 and Unimogs are way to high to get in a lot of places, There was a couple come into Pennefarther up the Cape this year they just about tore down every tree limb in the joint let alone what damage they did to the top of the 4wd, As you say the 6x6 look good but for the average camper way over the top, I only have an old 80 series and Jayco pop up or a 5m tinny and I carry way to much crap, let alone a 6x6 would take me hours to unpack and pack up again, Craig

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 06:35:02 AM »
Hi Alan, If you love going to out of the way places the Iveco 4x4 and Unimogs are way to high to get in a lot of places, There was a couple come into Pennefarther up the Cape this year they just about tore down every tree limb in the joint let alone what damage they did to the top of the 4wd, As you say the 6x6 look good but for the average camper way over the top, I only have an old 80 series and Jayco pop up or a 5m tinny and I carry way to much crap, let alone a 6x6 would take me hours to unpack and pack up again, Craig
i remember back in 2006 being up the Cape and as we headed South along the Tele Track we came across a similar sort of truck coming the opposite way....the husband was walking in front of the truck with an axe as his misses drove, looked like he was doing a fair whack of clearing as they went.

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 07:01:40 AM »
I agree that these 6 wheelers look cool but is there any real advantage over something like Iveco Daily 4X4?
Probably reliability over the iveco.
Check out the iveco daily fails and lemons facebook page.
Fantastic car for offroad touring, crap in every other way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Mitch92

Offline ravenhard

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 08:26:02 AM »
Omg YES. I see a lot written about how good the Iveco daily is. I just cringe. We had 6 at my work depot for a few years. They were the biggest POS we had. Continually breaking down and needing rebuilds. There wasn’t a time when we had all 6 running at the same time. Engine, tranny diff rebuilds where common let alone all the electrical gremlins it had.

On top of the the thing was slow and dangerous. 125kw/400nm for something with a GVM of 4.5T. We had autos and it had the worst turbo lag imaginable.

The worst was being a passenger in 1. Yes we had the basic spec model but the passenger seat couldn’t recline and the back seats had narrow doors and almost vertical upright seats. Hated being in the thing longer that 30mins as the seats were paper thin.

Got rid of all of them as they were deems too dangerous to drive all before they hit the 150k mark

Sorry for the rant. It makes my blood boil every time I see 4wd TV and that knob Simon Christie say how good it is