Author Topic: Resigned - Gunna hit the road. (April Update)  (Read 11971 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Resigned - Gunna hit the road.
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 09:43:59 PM »
Great stuff BB, Just consider it a paid start to your future travels to top up the coffers a bit, how goods that.
 Plenty to see and do around the South East and across the Border  in the six months then it could be any points of the compass as to where you head off to next or not ..  :cup:
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Troublekitty

• Learning the Ropes
    • Skampering Around Australia
Re: Resigned - Gunna hit the road.
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 05:47:50 AM »
Awesome news Barra!  Isn't it funny how those things work out sometimes.

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Resigned - Gunna hit the road. (April Update)
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »
G'day all,

Just reading back through this old post from last year,,,,,,,,,,,

Well a bit of an update,,, after leaving work in PNG and taking a roady through Queensland over Xmas and New Years about 20 days of aimlessly and very relaxingly driving about, staying where ever we wanted with the Mrs, then going for another holiday to Sydney over Aussie Day weekend, I decided to look for a job again as a couple of months had passed.
anyway, turns out the 1st job I applied for I got, so the Mrs and I thought we'll give this a shot, so we've moved to Chillagoe, rented ourselves a great little 2 bedroom house and are living the simple life up here, only been here a couple of weeks, but loving not having to fly out of the country to go to work and kissin' the Mrs before heading to work knowing I'll be back in 12hrs....

Our house is empty (almost) in Cairns, just got to pick up the last few things, we did try and sell it but things are slow and I'm not desperate to unload it, so in a couple of weeks we'll try renting it out.
Also sold my old "mobile skip bin" Hilux, also sold the old Cruiser Wagon, found an even older Cruiser Trayback that I couldn't resist and bought that, it's a one owner '86 HJ75 with a turbo 2H, been lovingly cared for by the same old fella it's whole life, he'd managed to rack up a whole 200k on the clock, it's got dual batteries, smart solenoid, a tipper tray, a/c, window tint, and it's clean as a whistle, perfect for travelling about these parts.......
Never did the caravan thing, sort of had too many other loose ends to tidy up, save that for another day, and I don't regret not doing it as things have turned out pretty good this way. The Brisbane job offer fell through, to which I'm glad for, as the fact of the matter was the corporate honcho's couldn't put their ego's aside long enough to make a decision, so it all fell over, wouldn't of wanted to be part of that sh1tfight anyway....... much nicer here with the sunrises and sunsets and birds chirping....

Anyway, if anyone's travelling up this way and wants some info on the current climate, weather etc, drop me a line...... might even meet up for a coldie at the Pub, it's 2 doors away!! Dangerously close :) :)

Motto to this story; Plan to not have a plan, go with flow and make the most of what presents itself. ;D

Cheers, :cheers:
Barrabart
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:49:17 PM by Barrabart »
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!
The following users thanked this post: edz, GBC, Craig Tomkinson

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 08:49:32 PM »
Follow the nose where ever it leads you, great stuff .. So long as your happy doing what ever your doing ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: Barrabart

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »
Hi BB, Sounds like you have been busy and good luck to you, Then old HJ75 2H are great old 4wds. Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 09:04:54 PM »
G'day all,

Just reading back through this old post from last year,,,,,,,,,,,

Well a bit of an update,,, after leaving work in PNG and taking a roady through Queensland over Xmas and New Years about 20 days of aimlessly and very relaxingly driving about, staying where ever we wanted with the Mrs, then going for another holiday to Sydney over Aussie Day weekend, I decided to look for a job again as a couple of months had passed.
anyway, turns out the 1st job I applied for I got, so the Mrs and I thought we'll give this a shot, so we've moved to Chillagoe, rented ourselves a great little 2 bedroom house and are living the simple life up here, only been here a couple of weeks, but loving not having to fly out of the country to go to work and kissin' the Mrs before heading to work knowing I'll be back in 12hrs....

Our house is empty (almost) in Cairns, just got to pick up the last few things, we did try and sell it but things are slow and I'm not desperate to unload it, so in a couple of weeks we'll try renting it out.
Also sold my old "mobile skip bin" Hilux, also sold the old Cruiser Wagon, found an even older Cruiser Trayback that I couldn't resist and bought that, it's a one owner '86 HJ75 with a turbo 2H, been lovingly cared for by the same old fella it's whole life, he'd managed to rack up a whole 200k on the clock, it's got dual batteries, smart solenoid, a tipper tray, a/c, window tint, and it's clean as a whistle, perfect for travelling about these parts.......
Never did the caravan thing, sort of had too many other loose ends to tidy up, save that for another day, and I don't regret not doing it as things have turned out pretty good this way. The Brisbane job offer fell through, to which I'm glad for, as the fact of the matter was the corporate honcho's couldn't put their ego's aside long enough to make a decision, so it all fell over, wouldn't of wanted to be part of that sh1tfight anyway....... much nicer here with the sunrises and sunsets and birds chirping....

Anyway, if anyone's travelling up this way and wants some info on the current climate, weather etc, drop me a line...... might even meet up for a coldie at the Pub, it's 2 doors away!! Dangerously close :) :)

Motto to this story; Plan to not have a plan, go with flow and make the most of what presents itself. ;D

Cheers, :cheers:
Barrabart

Well done guys. A small step and you will wonder why did not try it earlier. The beginning of your adventures. :cup:

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 09:12:30 PM »
Should be up you way in about 10 weeks  , traveling through  , would like to catch up if possible . l hope your social dairy is not to crammed full     ;D                     :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 11:27:35 PM »
Well done guys. A small step and you will wonder why did not try it earlier. The beginning of your adventures. :cup:

Mark

Thanks mate, yeah it is the start, I'm thinking we'll probably sit here for a year or two, though like I said, we don't really have any solid plans..... will see what pops up....... always open for adventure, and lucky for me I have a gypsy wife, so she's always keen for adventure, hehe.  ;)

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »
Hi BB, Sounds like you have been busy and good luck to you, Then old HJ75 2H are great old 4wds. Craig

Thanks mate, it's been a good old tractor so far, likes these outback roads and tracks!!

City driving, not so much, hehe

Bit like me. :cheers:
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 11:29:48 PM »
Should be up you way in about 10 weeks  , traveling through  , would like to catch up if possible . l hope your social dairy is not to crammed full     ;D                     :cheers:

No worries mate, let me know when you're on your way.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 07:42:25 AM »
G'day Barrabart ,

I take it from your post that you are out at Mungana , working at the mill . 
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Charlie Brown

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 08:50:59 AM »
Barrabart, don’t forget to check out the Chilligoe caves whilst you are there.  There are a few different ones to explore and they are very interesting. Spent a bit of time there years ago.  Enjoy

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
G'day Barrabart ,

I take it from your post that you are out at Mungana , working at the mill .

Yep you picked it mate!!

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »
Barrabart, don’t forget to check out the Chilligoe caves whilst you are there.  There are a few different ones to explore and they are very interesting. Spent a bit of time there years ago.  Enjoy

G'day CB,

Yeah the caves are the major attraction out here, we've been up here before when taking the kids camping etc, so we've done the caves already...... I can see though that as time goes by and friends and other family come for a visit that no doubt we'll be taking more trips through the caves at some stage.....
Looking forward though to finding other 'only local' special spots around the place, have already heard a few whispers about good fishing and camping spots amongst the locals, so am keen to get a bit more info on these places..... :cheers:

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 09:04:41 PM »
What a brilliant story i s want to do the same

a few more years and we will

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 02:53:02 AM »
What a brilliant story i s want to do the same

a few more years and we will

Glad you liked it.......... good luck to you and your plans in the future years.  :cheers:

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 08:21:41 AM »
Love camping at Chillagoe.
Going to have to book in soon and meet up with you guys...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 09:37:23 AM »
I,d be selling the house rather than renting...Prices are good here in Cairns at the moment and as we all know...one day the overpriced market will drop.  Also by selling you can invest your money and even better..one less worry on your plate. Too many horror stories of people trashing houses here.  Hope all goes well and you certainly cant beat country lifestyle.   :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Charlie Brown

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 09:51:05 AM »
Plenty of gold around Chilligoe if you are into prospecting.  Ask the locals.  Also lots of old mining areas which are interesting to explore.  Is the old general store still operating?  They used to sell everything imaginable.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »
I,d be selling the house rather than renting...Prices are good here in Cairns at the moment and as we all know...one day the overpriced market will drop.  Also by selling you can invest your money and even better..one less worry on your plate. Too many horror stories of people trashing houses here.  Hope all goes well and you certainly cant beat country lifestyle.   :cheers:
Rent & insure your self to the Shinserhouser for renter damage . The world can change leaving you 5hitters Ditch  as far as $ go . Rent it out & then you have a place to call home .

Just a thought  to you .                                           :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Charlie Brown

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »
I agree with speewa.  Don’t sell up.  You need to remain in the property market otherwise you may never be able to buy back into it.  Ask any of the professionals, don’t take my word for it, they will give you the same advice.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 11:06:18 PM »
An Option

https://www.facebook.com/MountHart/posts/2084827158213066

OPPORTUNITY - CAMPGROUND HOSTS
Mount Hart Wilderness Lodge and Campground is located in the “heart” of the King Leopold Conservation Reserve off the iconic Gibb River Road in the North West Kimberley region of Western Australia.

We are seeking Expressions of Interest from “Grey” and not so “Grey” Nomads to fill the position of “Campground Hosts” for the 2018 season which runs from mid April to mid September.

We require an active customer focussed dedicated couple with a pleasant ‘can-do” attitude to live on-site at the Campgrounds to perform the duties of “Campground Hosts”. (Tasks are normally completed in less than 2 hours daily by one person - All other tasks including checking in, bookings, payments are conducted by staff at the Lodge).
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
Thanks alnjan, but I'm happy with where I'm working/living now........ someone else might like it though.  :cheers:

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »
Love camping at Chillagoe.
Going to have to book in soon and meet up with you guys...
Bill

No worries Bill, funny, everyone I've talked to and told we're moving up here have said the same..... Anyone who's been up here have loved it..... even the real city folk types we know enjoyed their stay up here, must be the laid back lifestyle......  :cheers:

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2018, 09:55:11 AM »
Plenty of gold around Chilligoe if you are into prospecting.  Ask the locals.  Also lots of old mining areas which are interesting to explore.  Is the old general store still operating?  They used to sell everything imaginable.

G'day CB,

Always had a bit of a niggling to try a bit of prospecting, now with plenty of spare time I may have to start looking into it....... yeah mate the general store is still going, it's about 100mtrs from home...... There's a hardware shop across the road too, so what the general store don't have the hardware shop does....... the there's the pub of course. hehe