Author Topic: Kimberley tourists to be charged $150 to access sights  (Read 8571 times)

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
Re: Kimberley tourists to be charged $150 to access sights
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
They're just getting quick in before electric cars completely stops tourism in australia! ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:44:37 PM by 03GV »
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »
Yes it is for me.
I do not mind paying if I believe it is worth it, i.e. my money is being used useful.
The city attractions is called return on investment.
The Kimberley is money grabbing. Yes they will train ranger and pickup their rubbish.
What's that saying about cannot change his spots.
On paper is sounds excellent, give money back and they can invested it.

Anyway, up to everyone if they want to pay or not.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:42:08 PM by PWE »
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Rocky and Bullwinkle

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »
I am 58 in September , I have lived this long without seeing these sites , but for $150 plus per person,  I guess I can keep on living for a long time to come without having the need to see them .

I don't mind paying a reasonable fee to go to some sites but it gets over the top then I won't go and if people don't go then no income.

Greg
2015 Isuzu D Max
2015 Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
The other toy is a
2008 SeaDoo RXTX 255HP

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
Is $150/person really that much?

Have you seen how much the Sydney attractions cost?

Skywalk: $70/person
Or make it a 5 site pass from only $100/person!

So, does that $150/person seem so bad now, or how it fits into the grand scheme of things?
Still seems like too much. All the other expensive entry fees relate to a place where there is significant infrastructure. Is it costs less for one person to go to a fun park with all the expensive rides etc. $150 per person to look at a natural formation sounds like an awful lot. I have no problem with them charging a fee for tour operators/visitors but unless they are providing 1st class services then it needs to be a lot less to be comparable with other places.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »
BUT...   Make sure you put it on your bucket list to do one of the cruises from Darwin to Broome or Broome to Darwin.  Yes it is not cheap, but that area will blow you away.  Do one that will go up all of the rivers and you will see stunning gorges and water falls.  And Montgomery Reef is a must see, then the islands in the archipelagos....    Just get there...  :cup:    Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »
Quote from: NewieCamper
Still seems like too much. All the other expensive entry fees relate to a place where there is significant infrastructure. Is it costs less for one person to go to a fun park with all the expensive rides etc. $150 per person to look at a natural formation sounds like an awful lot. I have no problem with them charging a fee for tour operators/visitors but unless they are providing 1st class services then it needs to be a lot less to be comparable with other places.
Agree.. If you want to attract people - $15 adults and $5 for kids is ample.
If you want to lose people $150each.

I still don't think the money will end up where it is needed or for what we are told it will be for. Heard it all before.

Not sure why it is, when you go to remote towns and some of the "Museums" etc charge Sydney CBD prices for 2 rooms of very little.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 06:40:53 PM »
I am 58 in September , I have lived this long without seeing these sites , but for $150 plus per person,  I guess I can keep on living for a long time to come without having the need to see them .

I am with Duggie on this. I doubt the money would be spent on cleaning up anything in Community. Just a blatant ripoff.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
Unfortunatly some people these days want everything for free, or have the attitude that it's a free country we can go where ever we like. They show no respect for Indigenous land.

I understand the concept, but fear the fee is a tad steep. We are planning to go this way, and likely will pay... somewhat begrudgingly.

No, not because we expect it for nothing. We don't. We had absolutely no qualms paying the $99 at the Jardine ferry, nor did we complain in the slightest about paying the measly $10 per person just to visit Elim Beach (we didn't camp).

I think the fee should be reasonable. I'm definitely happy to pay more than $10 a head, maybe even up to $50-$100 a head for somewhere like the Kimberley... I would rather see that money go to a local community in a case such as this than a rich corporate group running an amusement park! But at $150 each it does hurt a little and cut into the travel budget a bit more. I can see why families would stay away. Maybe have a per vehicle fee like they do at the Jardine crossing...?

I do believe we should support local economies when we travel (don't get me started on those who free camp, leave rubbish lying around and turn local facilities to filth, and don't even spend a dime in the community... even worse when they are free camping illegally!), but I think there is a fine line between what is reasonable and justifiable, and what amount will actually cause a decline in visitor numbers. Some may say that's a good thing...
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
And if you read the article think about the future. The start of the fees are if you want to visit the area by water. Now I am trying to think of anywhere else where you need to pay to visit a place by water only and does not include a tour and not necessarily stepping onto any land.  Yes if you want to step onto their land why not charge a reasonable fee.

But there is also concern about the prospect of multiple fee systems being introduced in coming years, requiring companies and travellers to pay as many as six native title groups along the Kimberley coast.

Kimberley Marine Tourism Association (KMTA) said it would prefer people were charged a small, one-off visitor fee — similar to that charged at national parks — that could then be distributed to all native title groups across the coast. That sounds OK to me.

The Wunambal Gaambera Aboriginal Corporation also plans to introduce a land-based permit system in coming years, involving fees for people wanting to visit sites like the Mitchell Falls by road.  

And so it begins my friends.  It was attempted on Fraser Island a few years ago where local groups wanted to charge people to visit the island and in fact they did stop people and hit them for money.  The authorities put a stop to that then, but why not allow the traditional owners to charge their own fee. Have a look at how much of Australia could be effected.  Another point is when they collect the fees does that affect any tax payer funds going into that community, as it would if anyone else on welfare gets another income? 

And like others have said, not saying they should not charge a fee but make it reasonable and actually use that money to make a difference.    Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »
Here ya go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clVX1LevLUs Ive    covered the cost   ;D  No need for endless hours of heat, corrugations dust and flies,  sit back with a beer and enjoy the sights .. Gotta love youtube .  :cheers:
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 07:08:08 AM »
$100 per family to visit Kakadu or $40 per adult (free if you are a NT resident), which does not include camping fee's
$190 for a NSW parks annual pass.
$29 per vehicle per day to visit Kosciuszko in winter & $17 per vehicle per day in summer (does not include camping / accommodation fees)
$12 per day per vehicle to visit Royal Nat Park in Sydney (doesn't include camping fee's)
$48 for a 1 month or $242 for a year pass to visit Fraser Island (doesn't include camping fee's)
$48 per week or $150 per year to drive on Bribie Island
$12 per day or $32 a week or $250 a year for a pass to drive in Cooloola Nat Park in Qld (doesn't include camping fee's)
$25 per adult for a 3 day pass to see Uluru, or $33 for an annual pass

Just trying to add some perspective..............................
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.
The following users thanked this post: alnjan

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 07:33:40 AM »
I would think that this payment will be contested.

Under Australian law no one person or group owns the beach , between high tide and low tide water marks , nor can you own a piece of the ocean or reef .
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:41:29 AM by duggie »
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 09:51:01 AM »
$100 per family to visit Kakadu or $40 per adult (free if you are a NT resident), which does not include camping fee's
$190 for a NSW parks annual pass.
$29 per vehicle per day to visit Kosciuszko in winter & $17 per vehicle per day in summer (does not include camping / accommodation fees)
$12 per day per vehicle to visit Royal Nat Park in Sydney (doesn't include camping fee's)
$48 for a 1 month or $242 for a year pass to visit Fraser Island (doesn't include camping fee's)
$48 per week or $150 per year to drive on Bribie Island
$12 per day or $32 a week or $250 a year for a pass to drive in Cooloola Nat Park in Qld (doesn't include camping fee's)
$25 per adult for a 3 day pass to see Uluru, or $33 for an annual pass

Just trying to add some perspective..............................

Better add $160 for the SA Desert Parks Pass ;) And now, other than the Simpson, you do have to pay camping on top of that! ;)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »
I think some here are getting a little high horsey on this particular issue. You do realise the remoteness of the location don't you? That is in the domain of the $1000 per day/head of the charter boat operator. If one can afford a $10K, 10 day trip from Darwin to Broome, a $150 access fee is just coinage in comparison. It's not going to affect most of us here.

But there are other issues attached to this worthy of discussion.

I laughed when they stated they will be using the funds to pick up rubbish. What a croc. I've had my boat up in that country and I can tell you rubbish is not an issue. - at least not the sites I've been to. Tourists leaving empty beer cans on remote isolated beaches  ;D ;D ;D. Yeah right. More like discarded commercial fishing gear, fuel drums and other flotsam and jetsom, none of it the domain of the charter boat tourist. I'm not going to touch the indigenous being the custodian of their cultural lands....and treating it like the town tip.

Damaging "sacred sights" is an issue and it's no wonder they get pissed off. Unfortunately, there are a lot of tools that live among us, and unless its permanently occupied, you wont stop that happening. Guaranteed the tools wont be paying for access.

The bigger issue here is the issue of copycat fee's. Once one group is successful implementing a user pays fee, the others will jump on board too. I'm not disagreeing with a user pays system, but when this is splintered over multiple traditional owners down the coast, each charging their own fee, it will become cost ineffective for a lot of tourists. Getting all the groups together and setting a single, affordable access fee is the only way to go if a fee system "needs" to be introduced. Then you have the land council and admin issues as discussed above.

"ït's a beautiful landscape and everbody is welcome"

Just leave your money on the fridge.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:03:14 AM by sharkcaver »
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 11:03:53 AM »
Don't matter what brand of paint you slap onto this, it's still a grab for cash. The black fella has just learnt the white mans ways, take as much as you can get. So can you really blame them.
The following users thanked this post: PWE