Author Topic: bathroom basin waste replacement problem - for the plumbers...  (Read 2626 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
hi all,

looking at replacing the basin waste for our bathroom sink.

pulled it out and when i compared it to the caroma replacement i had purchased, found that the existing one is 15mm longer (95mm all up) than the 80mm caroma...

is 95mm a common size?  it didn't look like it from my searching...

i tried the caroma, but it is too short for the S-trap...  even after cleaning out the old silicon and crap...

can you get extensions for these?  or maybe get a longer S-trap fitting?

i will be going to the local plumbing shop (reece or tradelink) tomorrow to see what i can do, but i thought i would ask here in the meantime...

also, what is the best way to seal these?  just some silicon under the plug hole lip, where it meets the sink?

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: bathroom basin waste replacement problem - for the plumbers...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
Silicant is the preferred method of sealing a plug n waste today, when I started in the trade we used lead before hitting the modern times were we used linseed putty.
With regards the length, 70mm is the usually standard length.you can get longer non standard thread or use the caroma type that utilises a threaded rod and wing nut through centre of waste fitting that allows for various thickness basins, link http://www.plumbershandbook.com/PDFs/caroma_plug_and_wastes.pdf
Alternatively you can use the silicant, do back nut up and let go hard before removing the back nut as the waste fitting won't move once set in place, alternatively you can cut back nut down.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:33:40 PM by rags »
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
Pretty sure you can get an extension to add to the waste, you might find it'll be another 70mm or so & then just cut the main waste pipe down accordingly. Make sure you get acetic cure silicone & some plumbers don't use the rubber washer just plenty of silicone

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 01:07:08 AM »
You'll probably be given a pot of plastic glue and glue primer.
As well as a short bit of pipe to glue in place and make it longer to suit.
And a couple of glue on collar joiners.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 02:12:28 AM »
Silicant is the preferred method of sealing a plug n waste today, when I started in the trade we used lead before hitting the modern times were we used linseed putty.
With regards the length, 70mm is the usually standard length.you can get longer non standard thread or use the caroma type that utilises a threaded rod and wing nut through centre of waste fitting that allows for various thickness basins, link http://www.plumbershandbook.com/PDFs/caroma_plug_and_wastes.pdf
Alternatively you can use the silicant, do back nut up and let go hard before removing the back nut as the waste fitting won't move once set in place, alternatively you can cut back nut down.

I googled this "silicant" Wan't to see the results?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=silicant&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi42M7G5Z_VAhVKfbwKHaLEAMsQsAQINA&biw=1366&bih=635
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 06:18:51 AM »
Pretty sure you can get an extension to add to the waste, you might find it'll be another 70mm or so & then just cut the main waste pipe down accordingly. Make sure you get acetic cure silicone & some plumbers don't use the rubber washer just plenty of silicone

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

so the rubber washer would go between the top of the basin waste (the flared out lip) and the sink?

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 06:24:23 AM »
so the rubber washer would go between the top of the basin waste (the flared out lip) and the sink?
Yeah, the washer goes on the waste plug, put into basin hole then backing nut screws up under basin. A plumber told to nut use the rubber washer, just silicone, i think easier to get a good seal with silicone than rubber washer

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 06:39:36 AM »
Yeah, the washer goes on the waste plug, put into basin hole then backing nut screws up under basin. A plumber told to nut use the rubber washer, just silicone, i think easier to get a good seal with silicone than rubber washer

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

thanks, mate...

i'm only 15mm short, so hopefully i don't need to faff around to much to get it to fit again...