Author Topic: Suzuki Liana Feedback  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Suzuki Liana Feedback
« on: June 29, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
Hello the Brains Trust.

Am going through the process of looking for a first car for daughter No 2 and have come across a 2004 Suzuki Liana that seems to fit the bill. Have done the Google search bit but there doesn't appear to be any recent reviews in regards to this year model and how they have lasted over the time.

Have any swaggers had (or know of someone that may have discussed) one of these or are aware of any problem areas to be watchful for along with a general opinion of the vehicle? My understanding is that Suzis generally seem to have a good reputation of being a solid and reliable vehicle

Thanks in advance

Rod

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
Re: Suzuki Liana Feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »
A lot of guys use the motors out of them to put in other suzuki 4wds. Motors are good and reliable.
There really isn't many of these out there.
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:33:27 PM »
Thanks Mate, Yeah not a lot of info either. They seem like a pretty good vehicle looking at the earlier reviews. The one we are looking at seems pretty tidy and only has 127000 kms on it so it doesn't sound like it has a real hard life.

Cheers

Rod

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
Rod, although not exactly a Liana , I purchased my daughter a 2005 Suzuki Swift as her 1st car. The Suzuki has been a reliable car and in fact when she recently got herself a new car we decided that I would keep the Swift as a spare car, and my railway station car rather than using the Prado.
The swift is now riding at 165000km, the only issues with the car hand been that it has a habit of a check engine light coming on and each time has been an oxygen sensor, have replaced them but last time we just reset the light and ignored the problem, only other issue has been a failed ignition coil ( there are 2) which cost about $300 and failed again in a short time,oh and an belt squelch, which I suspect maybe a idler wheel.
In saying this although I rate the Suzuki as a good car, our other daughter had been driving a Mazda 2 and then drove my wife's 09' 3 which when recently traded on her new car had 220000 trouble free kms and I would take a Mazda over the Suzuki  for its reliability.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 07:01:44 AM »
Thanks Rags. Yeah when I was going through the exercise with daughter No 1 a couple of years ago we were looking hard at the Swift and the Mazda 2. The choice eventuated (due to an offer we were made) into a Kia Cerato and we couldn't have been happier although was more expensive. The Cerato is basically the equivalent of the Mazda 3 so sounds like a similar comparison.

The Liana appears to be a bit bigger in size (yet to see one in the flesh) and more solid than the Swift so I will definitely need to put some eyes on it. My only hesitation is that they don't exist anymore so have pessimistic thoughts around why they were discontinued. The model I am looking at is the smaller 1.6L engine wheras they did come out with a 1.8L late in 2004 but these are still bigger than the Swift at 1.4L.

Due to the lack of any real negative reviews (which is strange for Google searches) and the fact that it is not that bad a price it may work out pretty handy as a 1st car.

Decisions decisions and the joys of being a dad with teenager kids :D

Rod 

Offline patroldude

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:00:19 AM »
 Hey mate, we have had a Liana from new 2004. My bride had it for the first 6 years and my daughter has had it since. Issues we have had are: drivers side door trim broke, handle that you use to close the door broke of - it's one piece and they wanted around $700 for a complete new door skin!!! Made one out of a piece of metal flare plate. (Bugger all parts on OZ ) The auto windows played up - auto electrician fixed them. Aircon has chat it's self twice - new condenser and a split hose. Motor and running gear has been ok. Paint has really crapped out and really faded - dark blue - now looks whitish flaking!
Over all, daughter is happy with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
2000 GU 4.2TD
227-RWHP 662-RWNM
UFI-20G, DC6 250 HP
CC Ultimate Intercooler
Fatz 4 Inch Snorkel & Air Box 
2011 TVAN Murranji Mk111 ):

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
Don't forget if not many were sold, that means limited spares in the wreckers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 09:13:28 AM »
Thanks Guys,

Patroldude good to hear she is happy with it even with those problems. Will suss those issues out and see how we go. How many kms has your daughters done? The one I am going to look at is Red and looking at the photos the paintwork looks to be pretty shmick and so does the interior. Never know until you see in the flesh though.

They just seem to read as a pretty good 1st car for learners so hopefully it works out that way 

lloydus67 good point and parts availability has been one of my concerns. Depending on how the inspection looks I am hoping that we would only need the vehicle to behave for a couple of years and then get her into something different. 

Thanks again

Rod
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:24:57 AM by Rodt »

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »
Rod, just to chime in again and add to those posts above.
The paint on the tailgate is starting have the paint clear coat peel. Although limited to that part of car, I see this a lot on many makes of cars around SEQ  more so than when I lived South so assume the UV is harsher here, (which makes sense as every person I work with up here seem to be getting skin cancers cut out). It is also the dark blue.
The motor in the 2005- 2012ish were either 1.5 on base models and 1.6 on upper spec.
Our swift has an issue with the driver door lock were the key inserted into lock does not unlock car, and I worry one day the remote won't work, so I limit were I lock it.
I also feel the car is reasonably solid, especially the door closing feel.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »
Thanks Rags,

We went and had a look at it this afternoon and happy to say No2 daughter now has her first car. The owners have looked after it spectacularly well. The paintwork is spot on, the interior is immaculate, no sign of wear on the seats, gear changes are all pretty tight and smooth, steering seems pretty good (although does drift a little to the left), two brand new keys (the old ones apparently degraded a bit), tyres only done about 12000km (saw receipts). They also had installed reversing sensors with a digital readout on the steering column.

It was the owners first car and it sounded like her dad (ex-mechanic) had instilled the importance of looking after her vehicle well and fixing anything that arose which didn't sound like much at all. Aligns perfectly with how i want my girls looking after their gear.

Gave it a little workout on the way home when overtaking a couple of vehicles and it seemed to hang on alright. Small motor so needed to see how it handled higher level acceleration and it did so pretty well although will require some prior thought when overtaking (ie: not just plant foot and go). No problems with that though as i will just teach her that way.

Does have the solid clunk (lot more than the Prado, Pajero and Cerato) when closing the doors and she / we will have to get used to that.

As it has a bit of age the stereo is a bit outdated including no Bluetooth, USB or accessory input but this is not needed for her at this stage and i don't reckon it is a good thing to be without (bloody distracting phones) at this stage.

Overall very happy with what we got for the money and my baby is over the moon (although wasn't too happy when we drove through recently watered roadworks on the way home ;D) which is important in that her attitude to respect and look after it will be right up there. Will have her dad's 'guidance' if that starts to slip but  :police:

Thanks again for the help  :cup:

Rod

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Next Step New Tyres
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 07:13:04 AM »
All as per previous post I ended up purchasing the Suzuki and am now looking into the things that I will need to do in the near future.

The tyres are getting a bit down so the next job will be to replace. I have had nothing to do with smaller car tyres and it seems that every tyre bloke I talk to has a different view of things.

As it is a smaller vehicle the tyres are pretty low profile 195 55 R15 which contributes to the car feeling a bit hard on the open road. I am trying to find out if there is a reasonable tyre out there that is the best of both worlds ie: softness and wear. I understand that it is usually one or the other but after a middle ground if possible.

Are there any tyre experts here or someone that has gone through this exercise and come up with a reasonable solution on brand and model etc. Not necessarily looking for the cheapest option and am more interested in value for money

Thanks in advance

Rod

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Next Step New Tyres
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 11:00:07 AM »
Quote from: Rodt
Are there any tyre experts here
Black Diamond is your man. You may have to shoot him a PM as he doesnt get on much lately.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
Thanks mate I will send him a message