Author Topic: Looks like curtains for the airbag recall program  (Read 13066 times)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Looks like curtains for the airbag recall program
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 06:37:53 PM »
Last I heard the Gummint and the ACCC don't make airbags but I suppose they could commission a feasibility study to look into setting up a new Department to make them. After the environmental impact study of course.

I don't understand were you think I said the ACCC or your fictitious Gummint  would make and provide airbags.
It is the Govt charter to protect consumers and so far they have been effective in that by forcing the recall.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »
They can recall all they like rags but with the world's largest supplier of airbags out of action and millions of cars waiting for replacements what would you suggest our Gummint do to protect us all? Perhaps they could fine Takata another US $1billion or the car companies? Would that help matters?
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »
They can recall all they like rags but with the world's largest supplier of airbags out of action and millions of cars waiting for replacements what would you suggest our Gummint do to protect us all? Perhaps they could fine Takata another US $1billion or the car companies? Would that help matters?

The airbag a bit like brake parts they are not unquie to one air bag maker. As I point out the responsibility lies with the manufacturer of the car.The airbag is supplied by a third party supplier. It is obvious that the airbags are a bit of a generic part between manufacturers and so potentially some company will see a business opportunity and step up and make a replacement item. I am aware of the ACCC powers and have had first hand involvement with product recalls.
I am aware of your opinion on matters associated with govt as you have made that clear in many posts on this forum, and your views on 'nanny state' issues.
Many of your views I do not agree with, but hey that is what a forum is about.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 11:33:06 PM »
I am aware of the ACCC powers and have had first hand involvement with product recalls.

Fine but none of you in Govt have red undies and capes and as the problem is global and beyond the powers of any one Govt to demand an instant solution for their citizens, we have a problem on our hands that needs sensible risk management.

Among my family's cars I note the son's MN Triton is on the recall list but being only 2.5yr old and with Adelaide's drier climate I'm happy for him to wait with what I suspect could be a year or two before it might be replaced. Not so his wife with a 2008 X-Trail carting their new bub around so I propose to speak to her about removing the steering wheel airbag and storing it until such time as it can be replaced. No-one has any idea when it will be replaced given the huge backlog globally and for me it's a no-brainer that she can't continue to drive around in a car with a protective airbag that can kill or seriously maim her. Much better to take her chances with the benefit of 2008 ANCAP crash ratings, collapsible steering wheel and a seat belt that my generation went without.

If you have any better risk management solution than that rags then I'm all ears but I put it to you that's the position our Govt is going to have to take very quickly before someone else is killed or maimed.

Edit: Actually I'll just be removing the air bag inflator-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_hkGN8TiJY
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:13:23 AM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 12:31:06 AM »
There is another alternative if removing the actuator leaves the airbag warning light on and that's to deal with the front impact triggering sensors-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWSlwhYyOhI
It would be a simple matter to measure the trigger check resistance and place the same resistor value across the unplugged wires to them so they can never trigger the airbag system. Might look at that.

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
You sir are a dangerous individual
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
Quote from: prodigyrf
Last I heard the Gummint and the ACCC don't make airbags
if they did it would be just as much of a ****up as was/is/will always be
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
You sir are a dangerous individual

That was pretty easy to work out. :cup:
I had a ripper reply and all I had to do was hit send. I waited 10 minutes and chose not to post it.

Your reply Gordo, is much nicer.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »
I usually dont read his posts.  I'm sick of hearing about " the lads triton ". But that last post is downright dangerous
Gordo 350
Aussie Jays Big Red

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
I don't think I'd like an airbag on a bike...

http://www.mcnews.com.au/honda-goldwing-caught-up-in-takata-airbag-recall/

Own a 2008-2012 Goldwing or know someone that does?

Get them to visit a Honda dealer for Takata Airbag recall campaign

Honda Australia Motorcycle and Power Equipment (Honda) received official notification of an airbag recall for all 2008, 2009, 2010 and subsequently 2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800 models, in the wake of the global Takata inflator issue.

Customers who purchased these models were immediately contacted with information on replacement measures.

Honda can confirm all replacement parts are in stock and of the 522 Goldwing units that have been affected in Australia, 163 of these have been successfully repaired and fitted with new inflators.

that to me looks ****in more dangerous!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »
But that last post is downright dangerous
So you'd rather your lot drive around with a safety device that's known to kill or maim the driver in the event of an accident? 2009 Honda CRV airbag kills its driver and I'm not to worry about the DIL driving in a 2008 X-Trail with a recall bag? You have a peculiar sense of risk management in my book.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 02:05:54 PM »
Airbags were once considered to only have a service life of around 10 years - I know that when I was looking at buying a Volvo V70 back in 2006/7 I was looking carefully for one that was not over 10 years old. The advice did change during that time to the life span being greater than that however, so wasn't the issue that it was going to be.

Perhaps this is the cause for a poor design - or they just forgot that the Irish liked the same chemicals when loaded in the back of a truck for a bit of destruction.

To ProdigyRF: Just tell your DiL to drive carefully; the chance of it repeating the event that killed the person is reduced if she doesn't crash. It's really quite simple... I know it sounds flippant, but I drive a 1992 4x4 with no airbags, ABS or traction control (other than my right foot) and I drive it differently to how I know I can drive something with ABS etc. Likewise, when I'm on the bikes (either motorised or human powered) I ride differently and more aware of the other drivers. It's a bit like the old "if there was a spike in the middle of the steering wheel people would drive differently"

Whilst you recognise that the car has an EuroNCAP rating of 4 stars, this was based on there being the supplementary restraint system of an airbag; the performance without an airbag is quite different...

But if you're really that worried about it, just sell the thing and get something that isn't affected by the recall...

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 02:50:19 PM »
So you'd rather your lot drive around with a safety device that's known to kill or maim the driver in the event of an accident? 2009 Honda CRV airbag kills its driver and I'm not to worry about the DIL driving in a 2008 X-Trail with a recall bag? You have a peculiar sense of risk management in my book.
Maybe we should remove seat belts too just in case we crash into a river.
Gordo 350
Aussie Jays Big Red

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »

To ProdigyRF: Just tell your DiL to drive carefully; the chance of it repeating the event that killed the person is reduced if she doesn't crash. It's really quite simple... I know it sounds flippant, but I drive a 1992 4x4 with no airbags, ABS or traction control (other than my right foot) and I drive it differently to how I know I can drive something with ABS etc.

I drove cars when there were no seat belts and the lad was in the bassinet behind the back seat of the station wagon plus I rode motorsickles with him as pillion so I'm well aware of the risks on the roads. I have no objection to the introduction of more safety and protection for car occupants as economic technological innovation permits and airbags were an integral part of that.

Just that when I become aware members of my family are driving around with a potential IED in front of them I draw the line at that being sensible safety and they can go back to relying on the rest, which is a damn sight better than what I grew up with. They still have to drive sensibly and be aware a front airbag always had its limitations and wouldn't save you in a head on in the country. Just that if it can kill or maim in an urban crunch it's outta there until such time as an airbag that can do its job properly is available. Must confess I'm a bit gobsmacked some think an airbag that is known to kill or maim rates as a positive safety device and is sacrosanct but hey it's a free country.

PS: I think counterproductive was the word I was looking for  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:47:32 PM by prodigyrf »

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
Another part of the airbag story, it's not a bad idea to get the part fitted when offered.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/honda-australia-reveals-airbag-victim-ignored-five-recall-notices/news-story/526a32ad782bcef7c4380f4f0e99970c

I've had 3 recall notices for the Pajero.
Each time I rang to book the car in, I was told they didn't have the parts......
Finally got a letter on Monday telling me parts are in........earliest I could get in was early September. Go figure........
I'm not saying this was the case with the unfortunate victim above, and i sincerely hope manufacturers aren't using this to dodge their responsibilities and liabilities.

Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2017, 08:47:23 PM »
Quote from: brickiematt
, and i sincerely hope manufacturers aren't using this to dodge their responsibilities and liabilities.
**** that would never happen!!

but paying jobs will ALWAYS get in first.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
Counterproductive is a bit of an understatement-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-24/takata-airbags-is-your-car-on-the-list/8722914
So in Oz they've taken a couple of years to fix 850,000 cars out of 2.3million and now Takata have gone pffft, so how long for the rest of them you reckon?

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 03:48:30 AM »
If you are so concerned about the time frame and safety concerns, why not just source a different supplier and pay to have the airbags done yourself.

As bird said, paying jobs will always come first.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 06:55:30 AM »
Got our letter a few weeks ago for the 2012 Pajero and the missus with a great sense of urgency  ??? got around to booking it in last week with the local Mitsi dealer. Booked in for this Friday. Doesn't sound like a big backlog or at least in my part of the world.

Maybe shop around a few dealers and see

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
There is as upside to all this  , the chromed mesh crates that the replacement parts come in are very handy for storage of bits&bobs  in the shed /work truck  .
l found them at the tip with a bunch of steering wheel centers . l will be back for more so keep them coming    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »

http://tasmaniantimes.com/index.php?/weblog/article/when-is-an-airbag-not-an-airbag-...-/

An airbag has a little under the same explosive energy as a military hand grenade (about 160 grams against about 180 grams) and with a defective containment cup forms a crude fragmentation shell around the propellant. Ammonium nitrate was used as a compound with other explosives in hand grenades of UK origin until about 1997.

Interestingly enough, I haven't noticed many trucks driving out of dealers with Explosives DG (1.3?) signs on them ???

There is as upside to all this  , the chromed mesh crates that the replacement parts come in are very handy for storage of bits&bobs  in the shed /work truck  .
l found them at the tip with a bunch of steering wheel centers

Is that because they're all just being dumped at the local tip ??? >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 10:27:04 AM »
Quote from: The Lord

that to me looks ****in more dangerous!
anyone else think that looks like a blow up doll bending over?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2017, 10:30:22 AM »
If you are so concerned about the time frame and safety concerns, why not just source a different supplier and pay to have the airbags done yourself.

As bird said, paying jobs will always come first.
Got no problem with that providing they're available and on that point it probably makes sense that owners contribute on a pro rata basis to having what may now be perceived as a wear item replaced, if it speeds up replacement. At new car sales rates we're now turning over our domestic car fleet in around 11 years and that's been coming down so let's say 12 years to be generous. DIL's car is 8 yr old (2008 sold in 2009) so she pays 2/3 of the cost and all airbag inflators have to be replaced to be registered after 12 years in the interests of public safety. Just like fire extinguishers, LPG bottles and the like.  Whaddya reckon about that?  ;D

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2017, 03:04:37 PM »
Whaddya reckon about that?  ;D

You're a fruit loop.