Author Topic: Telstra Throttling ADSL ?  (Read 7764 times)

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Telstra Throttling ADSL ?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 02:54:48 PM »
He's talking crap

30 YEARS AS A TELSTRA TECHNICIAN and I can tell you that he is not talking crap. Business customers ALWAYS get priority..company policy.  It used to Shit me that customers who still paid monthly line rental got treated totally different to a corporate/business customer. Even worse if you were a rural customer..sometimes 2 week wait to get fixed whilst Mr. Brown who ran the local milk bar gets his line fixed asap.  Fact not fiction..ADSL will always get slower as more customers get on the same exchange.  Remember when ADSL would slow down of an evening /mid afternoon when all the school kids got home and jumped on the interenet? Same thing.  You can put 1 hose or 10 hoses into a 20 litre bucket...it still only holds 20 litres.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:58:38 PM by Bigfish »
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »
30 YEARS AS A TELSTRA TECHNICIAN and I can tell you that he is not talking rap. Business customers ALWAYS get priority..company policy.  It used to Shit me that customers who still paid monthly line rental got treated totally different to a corporate/business customer. Fact not fiction..

There's no priority on mobile network access unless you pay for it, e.g. Lanes.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 03:03:53 PM »
There's no priority on mobile network access unless you pay for it, e.g. Lanes.
Neither Bigfish nor I mentioned mobile connections, I'm talking about landlines only, I couldn't give a stuff about wireless, so does Telstra choke/throttle or whatever else you want to call it, adsl2 connections when the nbn gets close
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
Neither Bigfish nor I mentioned mobile connections, I'm talking about landlines only, I couldn't give a stuff about wireless, so does Telstra choke/throttle or whatever else you want to call it, adsl2 connections when the nbn gets close

Bigfish updated his post after I replied. Yes corporate/business customers get a higher priority on service/fault rectification That's because they pay more to get an SLA with their service.

Re throttling, as per the earlier answer, it is network congestion/backhaul contention. No conspiracy theory.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »
Bigfish updated his post after I replied. Yes corporate/business customers get a higher priority on service/fault rectification That's because they pay more to get an SLA with their service.

Re throttling, as per the earlier answer, it is network congestion/backhaul contention. No conspiracy theory.

I think I'm on his ignore list. Oh the pain
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 10:50:47 AM »
Well it's official - (according to this Couriermail article - Fri 02/06/17) ....

(sorry it's loaded sideways  grr)...

BaseCamp

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 11:31:00 AM »
There is congestion to muddy the waters and some areas are worse than others even on fibre, but there's no way my ADSL2+ service has not been DLMed to half now as it's still rock solid at that any time of the night or day. Doesn't make much difference for general web surfing but it certainly would if you were a big downloader of data.

It was Netflix that tipped a bucket on the best laid plans of mice and men although to be fair the NBN is still a work in progress to get everyone on ASAP and then they'll have to address the congested areas seriously.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »
There is congestion to muddy the waters and some areas are worse than others even on fibre, but there's no way my ADSL2+ service has not been DLMed to half now as it's still rock solid at that any time of the night or day. Doesn't make much difference for general web surfing but it certainly would if you were a big downloader of data.

It was Netflix that tipped a bucket on the best laid plans of mice and men although to be fair the NBN is still a work in progress to get everyone on ASAP and then they'll have to address the congested areas seriously.

Yep, that's QoS working as intended, fairs fair
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45