Author Topic: Recovery Gear Recommendations  (Read 3703 times)

Offline jimcle

• Learning the Ropes
Recovery Gear Recommendations
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:26:44 PM »
Hi all. Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on recovery gear I should take for a 3 month tour we're planning to do Aug-Sep. Rig is a Ford Everest towing an AOR Q+. We're travelling by ourselves.

We're planning to include Kakadu, Purnululu, GRR incl Mitchell Falls, Cape Leveque, WA Coast and beaches, toying with the idea of the Gunbarrell otherwise the central road, Palm Valley, Old Ghan trail and Oodnadatta.

With 4 people in the car, accessories and the trailer we're bumping against the GVM limit so trying to balance needs and nice to have's.  My basic recovery kit is a snatch with shackles and a pair of maxtrax. But of course the snatch relies on getting help from someone else. For a trip like this should we be considering a front mount winch? Is it worth taking a HL jack? Something else I've been looking at is a pair of "bog-out" straps (uses the wheels like a winch).

Cheers
James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Recovery Gear Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »
 ;D

The best recovery technique is not to get stuck in the 1st place.

Ive travelled alone a lot so all forms of recovery gear is peace of mind.

AT/MT tyres
50mm lift
Long handle shovel
Portable compressor for tyres
A bra for the car  :D deep water crossings.
Can of CRC

4 x Max Tracks are 2nd line of defence after tyre pressure

Then snatching.

A front mount winch is last line of defence, its one of those things..............if you install one, you will only use it to get someone else out. If you decide not to get one, there may be times you wished you had one.

Air Diff Locks are actually the best mod Ive ever had on my 4wd...........makes tough tracks easy.
Never had a hj lift for the 4wd, apparently they're dangerous ???

Exhaust lift bags are great in sand. I have one but have never used it. Seen others use it though and can be very handy if you have the correct size exhaust tip  ;D

:cup:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:10:07 AM by cruiser 91 »
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 07:54:56 AM »
Pretty much what cruiser said............

2 pair of maxtrax (3 pairs if funds can allow - for the camper)
Exhaust bag (bulky to store but works very well)
Tyre pressures (especially WA, the sand is soft as)
Shovel (doesn't matter how stuck you get, a shovel WILL get you out, it's just very manual and time consuming)
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 08:01:28 AM »
Just to add one more thing,

Try to get familiar with the area you will be travelling.
EG: Beach work............check tide times.
       Dirt tracks & creek or river crossings...........check weather(rain), recent & forecast.
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline jimcle

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
Hopefully got the basics sorted ....

Cooper AT3 265/70 R17 tyres
OME suspension / lift
Quick deflator and air compressor
Shovel (with two teenagers to operate it :)
Snorkel

Front winch is one of those things ... a bit like a 35kg insurance policy that hopefully and probably never gets used. Not sure it's worth it.

Hadn't thought about extra sets of maxtrax. Something I should look at.

Cheers

Offline ivan

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »
Consider how you would separate car and camper for recovery. Once car is free how will you pull camper out. eg skid plate in-leu of jockey wheel,can that skid plate be cooked on or used as jack plate.Just food for thought.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »
Consider how you would separate car and camper for recovery. Once car is free how will you pull camper out. eg skid plate in-leu of jockey wheel,can that skid plate be cooked on or used as jack plate.Just food for thought.

I've used a shovel as a skid plate in the past..............
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
apart from the beach it doesn't look like you are going off road.
Bigger tyres make the most difference (taller not wider). A long handle shovel and some tracks will get you most places.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 12:22:05 PM »
Quote from: jimcle
Front winch is one of those things ... a bit like a 35kg insurance policy that hopefully and probably never gets used. Not sure it's worth it.
until its 40+ and your totally ****ed and still bogged.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 02:37:41 PM »
Hi all. Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on recovery gear I should take for a 3 month tour we're planning to do Aug-Sep. Rig is a Ford Everest towing an AOR Q+. We're travelling by ourselves.

We're planning to include Kakadu, Purnululu, GRR incl Mitchell Falls, Cape Leveque, WA Coast and beaches, toying with the idea of the Gunbarrell otherwise the central road, Palm Valley, Old Ghan trail and Oodnadatta.

With 4 people in the car, accessories and the trailer we're bumping against the GVM limit so trying to balance needs and nice to have's.  My basic recovery kit is a snatch with shackles and a pair of maxtrax. But of course the snatch relies on getting help from someone else. For a trip like this should we be considering a front mount winch? Is it worth taking a HL jack? Something else I've been looking at is a pair of "bog-out" straps (uses the wheels like a winch).

Cheers
James

We are planning this trip also and at the same time as you, starting with Googs track though, we are leaving home mid July, all of the above mentioned are essentials and for me also if you're towing, a front mounted winch is essential too, consider some good communication as well(ie) HF Radio, Sat Phone, Spot tracker and EPIRB, especially if you're going as remote as the Gunbarrel and surrounds,  we have a HF Radio, EPIRB and Spot Tracker, the Spot is mainly used for letting our daughter know how we are going and she can track where we are, we have the waffle board recovery tracks, they can also be used as bridging ladders if needed, a 2nd spare on the car, also the camper has the same rolling diameter wheels and tyres stud pattern as the tug, all the basic recovery straps and winch extension rope that doubles as a tow rope, long handle shovel, compressor, if you haven't already done it, put the same stud pattern on your camper as the car, I don't know if the Everest has a Ford pattern like the Explorer or the 6 stud jap pattern like the Ranger, most campers come with that 6 stud pattern, we have some spares also, spare hub and bearings for the camper, basic tool kit(vehicle specific)tyre repair kit, R&R Beadbreaker, two jacks with plates for the sand, beer, whiskey, oh yeah and some extra food just in case..........

Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »
  You've had some pretty good advice, I've done a fair bit of 4wd touring towing a hybrid camper and as long as you have good tyres, a long handled shovel and a dose of common sense you will get to most places. I reckon a winch is total overkill, the most likely places you would get bogged are on the beach or outback mud and in most instances you wouldn't have a tree in sight. Better to invest in a rear diff lock and lessen the chances of getting stuck IMHO. Besides the shovel I just carry a couple of sets of Maxtrax and a couple of snatch straps, an equaliser strap and bow shackles. I would add that I consider front and rear recovery points essential.

Offline jimcle

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots of good comments.

We are planning this trip also and at the same time as you, starting with Googs track though, we are leaving home mid July

We leave Brissy late July, end of Aug in Broome, hit the Oils concert in Alice beginning of Oct and then back on the east cost mid Oct. Googs would be great to do but we'll have to get down to the Nullarbor another time.

beer

The ultimate dual purpose recovery equipment ... self applied or payment for services rendered :)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 08:10:59 AM »
Anyone used these as cheaper alternatives to Maxtrax recovery treads?

As another offer on the same page, I saw these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Pair-Sand-Track-Recovery-Tracks-4WD-Car-Auto-Grass-Snow-Road-ATV-Tyre-Ladder/292130176537?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D951f9968ddce48beb7045f85803ae2c9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D252803077799 for $21.99!, so had a look just for interest's sake >:D

& it says it all really: "How to use: When the car tires into mud,the snow and ice,etc, can not be before the skid row in situ, just pad the product can be placed on the foward direction of the tire" ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
As another offer on the same page, I saw these: for $21.99!, so had a look just for interest's sake >:D

& it says it all really: "How to use: When the car tires into mud,the snow and ice,etc, can not be before the skid row in situ, just pad the product can be placed on the foward direction of the tire" ???

Lol. Yep. I reckon shoving a ten dollar note under two of your wheels would be just as effective as trying to use those things.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:15:11 AM by Merts »
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »

Just picked up a set of Maxtrax @ $239.00 from Supercheap online. Not bad value for something that works.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 06:08:32 PM »
Just looking at those particular Jetocean 5T rated ones which I assume are made in China and different suppliers get to put their name on them-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/X-BULL-New-Recovery-Tracks-Sand-Track-Mud-Snow-Grass-Olive-Trax-ATV-OffRoad-4WD-/142190435502
but as they claim-

"With this unbreakable sand track recovery track, user will never get stuck alone.
· Resilient design to fit for wide range of terrains such as Sand, Mud, Snow, Grass etc.
· Double ramp design provides maximum convenience.
· Special teeth pattern surface guarantees effective performance.
· 6 comfortable side-handles for easy portability.
· 4 mounting points to provide extra stability.
· Easy to clean.
· 20 tons capacity on flat ground.

Made of High Strength Reinforced Nylon Materials
Light Weight Easy to Clean
UV Stabilized-- Resilient design"

In other words get your Maxtrax equivalents cheap here folks but the question is are they up there with Maxtrax in performance?

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
Not exactly the most professional recommendation I've seen but he has used them successfully-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qsv0jnEb7I
although they might not quite make the grade with Maxtrax afficionados-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgtf5R7aDpk
nevertheless they're both a wear item depending on how you treat them-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEpJ2fwBIr4

Edit: Although the video here shows they might be a further development/copy of Treds design which around the 2min mark shows they're not as strong as Maxtrax-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR3LUgZXw2Q
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:35:53 PM by prodigyrf »

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 09:54:09 PM »
Have used Maxtrax, Treds and a few copies, and the only ones I've not broken or seen others break are Maxtrax...

Horses for courses though I guess, slthough the key with all recovery tracks is to have the appropriate tyre pressures, and not spin the wheels...

Those Kaon lug repair kits are an ok idea, but would be lethal if you spun your wheels and one broke loose - instant projectiles...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:56:47 PM by DrewXT »
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup