Author Topic: Telstra Throttling ADSL ?  (Read 7613 times)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Telstra Throttling ADSL ?
« on: May 27, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »
Has any body else noticed a dramatic download speed drop on their adsl 2 internet connection when the NBN roll out gets near their neighbor hood ?
I've always had about 11 to 12 mbs until the last 3 or 4 months when it's dropped to 7 or 8 , nothing else has changed, same pc, same modem, same operating system.
Now I'm not saying Telstra would would deliberately throttle your adsl2 down so that you got p1ssed of with it and go to the NBN at the earliest opportunity 
Any body else noticed this sort of slowdown
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
Re: Telstra Throttling ADSL ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »
I have.
We are in port macquarie and the NBN is due this month in our area. I would say the last month or two the preformance has dropped off noticeably.
The strange thing is the speed test is around the same.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »
Always happens.
It's the sort of thing they do to convince people that the older technology isn't as good as the new stuff.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline jacm

• Learning the Ropes
    • Home Photos
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:35:06 PM »
Yep, the same here on the far south coast - NBN has come through and really ramped up in the last couple of months and the ADSL performance has gone out the window
Thanks

John M
Lifestyle AT-12/Landcruiser 200

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 11:50:05 PM »
Funny you should mention that Xcvator!
Had a bunch of issues earlier this year related to speed and after numerous calls to my ISP (phone help from south africa or new zuland) and a new modem/router I gave up and went fishing up north for a couple of months.
Back home now and no improvement.
Had lightening fast internet ever since ADSL came along.
I have also heard my local exchange has been recently upgraded!!!
Funny that - it all seems to coincide with the nbn being available in my area.
Where I live nbn is via the mobile network and from my neighbours feedback I am not interested in going nbn till the bugs are ironed out or they shut down the copper network.
Funny that - or just coincidence!
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
We've been having exactly the same problem on the GC, except we're currently on Telstra Cable & are due to become ready for NBN HFC any day now ???

Another funny bit with it all. A couple of weeks ago, we were out for most of a day for "Service Upgrade". The next day, noticed that it seemed quite slow so did a Speedtest. Test showed that our IP had changed & speed was only about 1/3rd what we usually get :'(, but the server it connected to (supposedly the closest) was Adelaide & it said we were ~300 miles away! ??? Did another test & forced it to use the GC server - same speeds but that one was then ~700 miles away, so Speedtest at least apparently thinks we were at Broken Hill or somewhere similar ???

Further tests since then at least go to the GC at <50 miles, but still slower than normal. Not bothering to talk to them until after we've gone RFS though.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
Telstra also do this with their mobile customers.

We recently moved half of our work phones over to Optus after negotiations with Telstra failed. The day that the moving phone's contracts where terminated all remaining phones noticed their service had changed.
Incoming calls would not connect (direct to voicemail).
And bad lines with dropouts are now the norm.

We since found out that this is Telstra policy;
Good customers with high spends (as we had been) get the best service.
Corporate customers with low spends or negotiate their contracts every year get pushed down to the second tier and get treated like sh.........

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »
We since found out that this is Telstra policy;
Good customers with high spends (as we had been) get the best service.
Corporate customers with low spends or negotiate their contracts every year get pushed down to the second tier and get treated like sh.........

I doubt this is 'policy' and I would suggest the performance issues are due to other environmental factors.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »
I heard that from a former Telstra corporate account manager.

High spend (bend over and take it) accounts get the best.
The rest get what's left.

In it's simplest form as I understand it (and obviously I don't know the technical functions involved), those corporate accounts set to high priority get first dibs on coverage.
If the tower is busy and your on the lower tier, your phone will have reception but it won't connect the call.

I'm happy for any actual Telstra technicians to tell me that's wrong. I'm no expert.
But that was what we were told and at the moment it fits perfectly with what we noticed on all 30 mobile phones located in every state around the country.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
I couldn't imagine a big corporation doing stuff like that. I bet if you rang their call centre and asked the aussie on the other end of the line, they would say that doesn't happen  !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
I couldn't imagine a big corporation doing stuff like that. I bet if you rang their call centre and asked the aussie on the other end of the line, they would say that doesn't happen  !!

Aussie on the other end
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »
I heard that from a former Telstra corporate account manager.

He's talking crap

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Telstra Throttling ADSL ?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 09:01:49 AM »
He's talking crap
Sounds like you're in the know.
I'm happy to leave it at that.

We just had a whole bunch of simultaneous coincidences happen to all of our phones on the day we changed our corporate contracts. Very unlucky of us.....

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
We just had a whole bunch of simultaneous coincidences happen to all of our phones on the day we changed our corporate contracts. Very unlucky of us.....

Not having all the details I can't provide a definite root cause analysis. I can suggest it could be to do with a back of house change on the accounts in question rather than any technical change.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 09:13:09 AM »
Hi,
   Got a call that I can now change over.
Modem in the mail.
Email confirming, must connect modem between 22 - 27 May.
Did that yesterday, and still only 5Mbps,  and no phone.
Grrrr!
It now turns out the stuff has yet to be activated in the local exchange, due 2 June.
Not real impressed.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 09:25:05 AM »
Not having all the details I can't provide a definite root cause analysis. I can suggest it could be to do with a back of house change on the accounts in question rather than any technical change.
Sorry, I didn't mean to high jack this thread, but now you've got my interest.

Exactly how can a back of house change on our accounts effect our mobile coverage if there's no difference on the tower for which phone gets connection?

I know our guys in all states are having similar issues.
But for me personally my mobile phone sits in a cradle on my window sill and I use a Bluetooth headset for all calls.
I never move my phone, it has been in the same place and had reasonable reception right up to the day we changed our contracts. Now I get on average 6-8 incoming calls per day that go straight to voicemail. Plus several outgoing bad connections and/or dropouts.

The explanation I heard that we had been a premium customer, but have now been moved down made sense.
But if you're saying that no one gets preference in the towers, I'm wondering how an administration error in the back office can effect my mobile coverage.

Or we can just move on from this mobile discussion and admit that Telstra have throttled down their internet speeds in some areas to push customers over to NBN. ;)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
But if you're saying that no one gets preference in the towers, I'm wondering how an administration error in the back office can effect my mobile coverage.

The only way to get preference is to purchase it, such as Telstra Lanes. Your local drop in performance could be down to any number of environmental technical factors, not account based.

Or we can just move on from this mobile discussion and admit that Telstra have throttled down their internet speeds in some areas to push customers over to NBN. ;)

I'd suggest this is due to internetwork congestion than any conspiracy theory.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
The exchange would see far higher traffic as the NBN connections come on. As the exchange is the point of presence for both ADSL and NBN connections this increase in traffic results in link contention on the backhaul. Eventually they will add resource to address the choke point, after the connection count justifies it.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 09:48:47 AM »
The exchange would see far higher traffic as the NBN connections come on. As the exchange is the point of presence for both ADSL and NBN connections this increase in traffic results in link contention on the backhaul. Eventually they will add resource to address the choke point, after the connection count justifies it.

:cup:

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
Although according to any number of my former colleagues who are now at NBN Co, the back haul circuits are upgraded before wholesale migrations start taking place, particularly in regional areas, where broadband uptake wasn't necessarily huge...

For us, NBN migration is going to jack up our current internet/home phone costs by about $45/month, and I don't get to opt out, despite currently having HFC to the house which is what my NBN connection will come down... Oh, and I get downgraded from 100mbps to 50mbps for that extra charge...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
Although according to any number of my former colleagues who are now at NBN Co, the back haul circuits are upgraded before wholesale migrations start taking place, particularly in regional areas, where broadband uptake wasn't necessarily huge...

For us, NBN migration is going to jack up our current internet/home phone costs by about $45/month, and I don't get to opt out, despite currently having HFC to the house which is what my NBN connection will come down... Oh, and I get downgraded from 100mbps to 50mbps for that extra charge...

Doesn't happen at every exchange.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »
Doesn't happen at every exchange.
They don't have a cynical smiley emoticon

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 01:51:46 PM »
Throttling! Throttle you? Nothing so uncouth could be further from the truth. They call it 'Dynamic Line Management' in the trade  :angel:
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »
No NBN in sight til Late 2018 but I used to get double this a year or so ago -
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6331961275

Just a tip. When I noticed even that had dropped lower to around 6/0.3 and I was on 'Thrillseeker' speed with Adam Internet (iinet now) I changed it up to Annexe M (gaming) and then back down to Standard and it's returned to that higher speed rock solid again, anytime night or day. I've clearly been DLMed as I'm only 600M from the exchange as the crow flies and you may find dropping down the speed levels with your RSP toolbox improves speed like that for you too.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 02:16:44 PM »
They don't have a cynical smiley emoticon

It's Telstra, none required :-)

https://youtu.be/e9OTZCRI2H8
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45