Author Topic: New type of antivenom  (Read 2816 times)

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
New type of antivenom
« on: May 24, 2017, 10:38:35 PM »
http://uci.edu/powerofi/snakebite/index.php

New general antivenom for snakebites etc....

This sounds like a real breakthrough..
Statistics on global deaths, very sad..

BaseCamp

Irvine, Calif., March 7, 2017 — Chemists at the University of California, Irvine have developed a way to neutralize deadly snake venom more cheaply and effectively than with traditional anti-venom — an innovation that could spare millions of people the loss of life or limbs each year.

In the U.S., human snakebite deaths are rare — about five a year — but the treatment could prove useful for dog owners, mountain bikers and other outdoor enthusiasts brushing up against nature at ankle level. Worldwide, an estimated 4.5 million people are bitten annually, 2.7 million suffer crippling injuries and more than 100,000 die, most of them farmworkers and children in poor, rural parts of India and sub-Saharan Africa with little healthcare.

The existing treatment requires slow intravenous infusion at a hospital and costs up to $100,000. And the antidote only halts the damage inflicted by a small number of species.

"Current anti-venom is very specific to certain snake types. Ours seems to show broad-spectrum ability to stop cell destruction across species on many continents, and that is quite a big deal," said doctoral student Jeffrey O'Brien, lead author of a recent study published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.

Zeroing in on protein families common to many serpents, the UCI researchers demonstrated that they could halt the worst effects of cobras and kraits in Asia and Africa, as well as pit vipers in North America. The team synthesized a polymer nanogel material that binds to several key protein toxins, keeping them from bursting cell membranes and causing widespread destruction. O'Brien knew he was onto something when the human serum in his test tubes stayed clear, rather than turning scarlet from venom's typical deadly rupture of red blood cells.

Chemistry professor Ken Shea, senior author of the paper, explained that the venom — a "complex toxic cocktail" evolved over millennia to stay ahead of prey's own adaptive strategies — is absorbed onto the surface of nanoparticles in the new material and is permanently sequestered there, "diverted from doing harm."

Thanks to the use of readily available, nonpoisonous components, the "nanodote" has a long shelf life and costs far less. The existing antidote is made by injecting horses with venom, waiting weeks for the animals to develop antibodies, then extracting their blood and shipping it from Mexico or Australia to places that can afford it. The process is not allowed in the U.S. Major suppliers have discontinued shipments to many markets.

In contrast, "our treatment costs pennies on the dollar and, unlike the current one, requires no refrigeration," O'Brien said. "It feels pretty great to think this could save lives."

Since publishing their findings, the researchers have discovered that scorpion and spider bite infections may also be slowed or stopped via their invention. They have patents pending and are seeking public and private funding to move forward with clinical trials and product development. Additionally, Shea's group pioneered a synthetic antidote for bee melittin — the ingredient in stings that can kill people who have an allergic reaction — using similar methods.

"The goal is not to save mice from venom and bee stings," Shea said, "but to demonstrate a paradigm shift in thinking about solutions to these types of problems. We have more work to do, and this is why we're seeking a fairly significant infusion of resources."

The U.S. Department of Defense's research arm financed the first phase of the laboratory work. "The military has platoons in the tropics and sub-Saharan Africa, and there are a variety of toxic snakes where they're traipsing around," Shea said. "If soldiers are bitten, they don't have a hospital nearby; they've got a medic with a backpack. They need something they can use in the field to at least delay the spread of the venom."

In addition to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health provided funding.

About the University of California, Irvine: Founded in 1965, UCI is the youngest member of the prestigious Association of American Universities. The campus has produced three Nobel laureates and is known for its academic achievement, premier research, innovation and anteater mascot. Led by Chancellor Howard Gillman, UCI has more than 30,000 students and offers 192 degree programs. It's located in one of the world's safest and most economically vibrant communities and is Orange County's second-largest employer, contributing $5 billion annually to the local economy. For more on UCI, visit www.uci.edu.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
Re: New type of antivenom
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 06:53:40 AM »
What an incredible discovery.  Thank you for posting!  You know, I think if our media focussed more on this type of work and the good that it will do and gave far less time to certain radical groups and their behaviours that we would lift humanity up the "layer cake" you mention in your signature line at the bottom of your post....
Desert Lover

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
Sounds good :D I wonder though if it will be any good against our Aussie snakes, which have [/much/] more potent venom than anything in US or Asia ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »
Sounds good :D I wonder though if it will be any good against our Aussie snakes, which have [/much/] more potent venom than anything in US or Asia ???

I can't see why not, from the description of how it works. It doesn't try to act against the venom, but binds the toxins to the nanogel and "isolates" it, so it can't do the damage that is normally done by the toxins.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 05:07:57 PM »
Don't forget they have vipers and Cobras throughout Asia. They might not be as venomous as our Aussie ones but due to the fatality rate, they are the most deadly in the world.  1000s of people die every year from snake bites in Asia.

Offline RainmanWA

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »
Not an expert on this but I think the venom in most Australian snakes are neurotoxins which essentially cause paralysis of the nervous system whereas the venom of vipers and cobras etc causes tissue and red blood cell destruction.

I see in the text it says the new antivenom "stops cell destruction" which seems to suggest may be more effective on the venom of vipers etc and not Australian snakes. I guess time will tell.   

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
Not an expert on this but I think the venom in most Australian snakes are neurotoxins which essentially cause paralysis of the nervous system whereas the venom of vipers and cobras etc causes tissue and red blood cell destruction.

I see in the text it says the new antivenom "stops cell destruction" which seems to suggest may be more effective on the venom of vipers etc and not Australian snakes. I guess time will tell.

That's what I was getting at when I thought it may not be effective on Aussie snakes. Pity, because it would be a great thing to carry if you're in the bush.

Don't forget they have vipers and Cobras throughout Asia. They might not be as venomous as our Aussie ones but due to the fatality rate, they are the most deadly in the world.  1000s of people die every year from snake bites in Asia.

Also agree with you entirely Muzza. On checking further "Roughly 46,000 people die of snakebites in India every year, according to the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, accounting for nearly half of the 100,000 annual snakebite deaths the world over" :o If this new dope works as hoped, I reckon someone's up for a Nobel Prize for Medicine!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 10:52:48 AM »
Zeroing in on protein families common to many serpents, the UCI researchers demonstrated that they could halt the worst effects of cobras and kraits in Asia and Africa, as well as pit vipers in North America. The team synthesized a polymer nanogel material that binds to several key protein toxins, keeping them from bursting cell membranes and causing widespread destruction. O'Brien knew he was onto something when the human serum in his test tubes stayed clear, rather than turning scarlet from venom's typical deadly rupture of red blood cells.

So, if at present, it has only been developed to target certain specie groups' toxins, then maybe eventually it can be made to target many different snake species' toxins. Once the venom has been bound to the nanogel, irrespective of the type of toxin, it would have the same effect in containing it. The fact that the blood cells weren't ruptured during the experiment, is an indicator that the toxin was contained and didn't contact the blood cells, rather than what the aim of the nanogel is.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.