Author Topic: Removing wheels  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Removing wheels
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
I reckon if you walked into 100 car dealer workshops and asked what the torque specs for a model car they sell was, you'd never find one that knew....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
Hey Metters. As I have stated it is just my opinion.
A bolt looses 1/3rd of its torque when put together dry due to friction. So how about you do what you do and I'll do what I do and you maybe not have a go at people trying to help. The thread on the wheel stud was not cross threaded it picked up while undoing the nut. This could be due to a lot of reasons but if there was any sort of lube on it it probably wouldn't have picked up.

Lube is a good thing. Just my opinion.

Sorry mate, but I have to agree with Metters. Never lubricate your wheel studs/nuts. And as for torque settings, there are tables that give standard torque settings for bolt/nuts, that take into account whether the bolt and nut its plain black steel, lubricated steel, plated and galvanised steel. Torque settings for lubricated nuts and bolts is always lower than for un-lubricated steel.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

bully

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 04:45:13 PM »
That's fine. Like I said it is my opinion. As an engine reconditioner and mechanical fitter I am well aware of dry torque vs wet torque settings. But I am also aware that a dry thread picks up a lot easier than a lubricated thread. I know all about bolt stretch and tensile strength and doing up nuts with rattle gun etc. but I personally would never put them together dry. Remember these companies are in the business of making money so if they can save on using lube and give the everyday person a torque setting to compensate for this they will. Also bolts these days are punched out so quickly that the quality is not really good. Look at a thread under a microscope and you will see the ridges and dips. These are the reasons threads pick up. Like I stated I am happy to do this. No one else has to. That's fine.  If I know my wheel stud will be in good condition when I take the wheel nut off and it won't pick up and stuff the stud and nut.