Author Topic: Security camera systems at home - feedback  (Read 8776 times)

Offline DropBearRacing

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Security camera systems at home - feedback
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
The best bit about a camera system is you can see who is entering/stealing from your property.

The other side of the coin is what can you do with the footage after they have gone ? You can show it to the police......but will they even view it ? Is it admissable in a court of law ( been told no ).

Now an alarm with 120Db sirens and flashing lights and flood lights ( even inside ) will deter most....unless you are rural and it won't attract any attention.

I personally haven't got anything really worth pinching....the days of them leaving with a tellie under their arm are long gone.....it's cash, jewellery or tablets etc, so I don't have a system anymore.

Grieg if you tell the cops that you have footage they will look at it andtake a copy from you. It is admissible in court whoever told you that has no idea.

The problem is people want to spend as little as possible and expect miracles from their systems. Most businesses are the same. Unless you spend the money on good cameras then you will end up with Shit footage that isn't worth a pinch.  The other thing is people don't think about their field of vision before installing the cameras.

Hikvision is one of the better systems out there. We have one of their systems installed at work. The CCTV installers I know use and recommend hikvision as well. You pay a bit more for them but you do get what you pay for.
The Bear made me do it!!

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »
Grieg if you tell the cops that you have footage they will look at it andtake a copy from you. It is admissible in court whoever told you that has no idea.

Good to hear mate !!

Still wouldn't get a system as I haven't got anything worth pinching !!   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 08:15:41 PM »
I use Hikvision regularly and its great gear, but something else you can consider is going for a wireless high speed device such as this.

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!
The following users thanked this post: DropBearRacing

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »
Yes the ability to reach out and touch someone, very rapidly, at great distance.
Phenomenal idea.  Don't think too many would be happy about it though.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »

I have considered getting one of these signs until we set up some kind of camera system.  ;D

Jokes aside, I do prefer cameras (preferably with some kind of internet connected phone alert when triggered) to alarm systems. For those with alarm systems, do you *really* think that they make people stop and look? How many times do you hear a car alarm go off and everyone just keeps going about their daily business? You may be lucky IF you have awesomely attentive and caring neighbours home, but honestly unless they are a back-to-base monitored system its probably not as great as you're hoping. :( At least if the camera alert goes off *I* can personally do something about it. Whereas with noisy alarms (that aren't back-to-base) I'm relying on the goodness of strangers or on the crims getting spooked.

My internet security cynicism for now is stopping me getting an internet connected camera system. Don't want the thugs using my camera system to spy on me to find out when my place is unoccupied - they can do that the old fashioned way sitting over the street in a black nondescript car if they really feel the need!
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
I'm fine I got a  poodle toy
Fixed for you  :cup:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »

I have considered getting one of these signs until we set up some kind of camera system.  ;D

Jokes aside, I do prefer cameras (preferably with some kind of internet connected phone alert when triggered) to alarm systems. For those with alarm systems, do you *really* think that they make people stop and look? How many times do you hear a car alarm go off and everyone just keeps going about their daily business? You may be lucky IF you have awesomely attentive and caring neighbours home, but honestly unless they are a back-to-base monitored system its probably not as great as you're hoping. :( At least if the camera alert goes off *I* can personally do something about it. Whereas with noisy alarms (that aren't back-to-base) I'm relying on the goodness of strangers or on the crims getting spooked.

My internet security cynicism for now is stopping me getting an internet connected camera system. Don't want the thugs using my camera system to spy on me to find out when my place is unoccupied - they can do that the old fashioned way sitting over the street in a black nondescript car if they really feel the need!
my alarm rings a few numbers when it goes off, mine included. It has stopped someone breaking in, this I know for a fact...alarm went off whilst I was at work and rang my phone, I was working 10 minutes from home. Raced home to find an open window but nobody about and nothing missing...i a sked my neighbour who walked outside  if they saw anyone about and he gave me a brief description of a guy. Train station is 5 minutes walk away so I raced down there and found someone matching said description. Not 100% sure it was him so I ring my neighbour to get a better match on exactly what he was wearing, junkie looking scum hears me talking on my phone and comes over to ask me what's up. My neighbour advises not to do anything silly with all the cameras about on the station, to which I reply no worries I'll call the cops. I had my back turned on this guy for 5 seconds and in that time he'd legged it for his life jumping off the end of the train platform making a break for it. He ended up getting away in the end, cops arrived 10 minutes later and also couldn't find him. Cops weren't interested in train platform video footage to find this guy, so can't imagine they get overly excited at home videos either.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 04:37:06 PM »
unless they are a back-to-base monitored system its probably not as great as you're hoping. :( At least if the camera alert goes off *I* can personally do something about it. Whereas with noisy alarms (that aren't back-to-base) I'm relying on the goodness of strangers or on the crims getting spooked.

Was chatting to a copper recently abut that. He said best deterrent was a noisy alarm that went off on entry..............nice and loud he said. That scares most of them off straight away. He said "back to base" was a waste of money because by the time it registered, and they responded, offenders are long gone.

Camera system was second choice, won't stop them unless it's visible and obvious..........and not easily tampered with. Make sure the HD is secured / hidden so they don't steal that to remove the evidence.

Having inside pets, a motion sensor alarm was not viable, and retrofitting reed switches was not practical, so it was a tamper resistant camera system for us. ll points of property and building access covered, all camera's visible, but out of reach, and HD secured and hidden.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »
I picked up a NView system at Mackay home show last weekend for $649. It has 4 x 1080p cameras (made by hikvision) & a 8ch 1tb hdd dvr. can be set up for viewing on phone/tablet.
seemed a good deal at the time
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:14:08 PM by Moggy »
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 07:26:37 PM »
Well I got round to setting up the system & i have to say it was fairly simple, though camera locations added to the drama, but all in all happy with the outcome.
I will say that i was surprised how easy it was to get remote viewing on phone & tablet, it was really easy to setup when viewing over the home wifi, but even to view over the phone was relatively simple, actually for me to do inside half an hour shows how really simple it was.
I havent actually worked out the recording & playback side, but have it set on motion record ( i think)
So for those who where also considering cameras I would give these a thumbs up.
I paid $650, but did a interweb search & somewhere had them for under $500, so at that price pretty good imo

Edit:
There is a capability for having an intergrated alarm system, but that would be well & truely above my pay grade  ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:28:53 PM by Moggy »
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2017, 07:39:37 PM »
Well I got round to setting up the system & i have to say it was fairly simple, though camera locations added to the drama, but all in all happy with the outcome.
I will say that i was surprised how easy it was to get remote viewing on phone & tablet, it was really easy to setup when viewing over the home wifi, but even to view over the phone was relatively simple, actually for me to do inside half an hour shows how really simple it was.
I havent actually worked out the recording & playback side, but have it set on motion record ( i think)
So for those who where also considering cameras I would give these a thumbs up.
I paid $650, but did a interweb search & somewhere had them for under $500, so at that price pretty good imo

Edit:
There is a capability for having an intergrated alarm system, but that would be well & truely above my pay grade  ;D

Moggy
whats the picture quality like??
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »
It's reasonable without being super
This is one of the front & might add that there is no light on at the front, so the "light" is the infra-red I assume.
It does have a digital zoom & on the phone app you can actually record & take a picture.
At the end of the day I hope I never have to utilise it

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

T.E. Lawrence

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
Moggy I found a couple of Ness Corp videos on their CCTV system here- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuxQFPAUVxyT82_LOKrAQnIesNwRwOdix
but presumably with one of their systems you can logon and enjoy videos and help forums as a user here- http://nesscorporation.com/

Have you setup mobile phone access via the Android or IOS app and can you manipulate the turret cameras?

As for the night footage it's pretty good for no light source but that's where the various Hikvision cameras have different infrared ranges and pricing I guess.

A good price here- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122539766264
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »
Quote from: DropBearRacing
The problem is people want to spend as little as possible and expect miracles from their systems. Most businesses are the same. Unless you spend the money on good cameras then you will end up with Shit footage that isn't worth a pinch.  The other thing is people don't think about their field of vision before installing the cameras.

Hikvision is one of the better systems out there. We have one of their systems installed at work. The CCTV installers I know use and recommend hikvision as well. You pay a bit more for them but you do get what you pay for.

Mate who works in security nods to all of that... or you end up with

Quote from: Moggy
It's reasonable without being super
This is one of the front & might add that there is no light on at the front, so the "light" is the infra-red I assume.
It does have a digital zoom & on the phone app you can actually record & take a picture.

I reckon that's pretty good.. now fit up a sensor light! Mate uses the app all the time to monitor clients and his house while away on trips.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home