Author Topic: How do you get your mojo back for your 4x4?  (Read 17617 times)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
How do you get your mojo back for your 4x4?
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »
I've had my 04 Pajero now for 5 years. I bought it as an unmodified grandpa spec and have added just about everything I need to it (tyres, lift, barwork, long range tank etc etc). I have given her some love recently with a major service plus a few other little bits and pieces.

It has never given me any major dramas, tows the camper OK (its main purpose), reasonably fuel efficient, doubles as the family car when the missus is at work, so far been very happy with its overall performance.

The missus has just bought a 'new' car (3 years old), I have spent some money on my work car which is now going great. Right now I enjoy driving both of them more than the Pajero.

I think I'm getting bored with it. I washed it today and usually that reignites my enthusiasm for it but not today. I feel like I/it needs a change but I've done all the mods I want to it, it's actually perfect for our family and the touring we do. It's also old enough so that when we drive down overgrown tracks I don't cringe when I hear all the scraping/banging sounds haha!!!

I've even done a few 4x4 trips in the last few months which were bloody awesome, it's quite a capable 4x4.

I have no spare money to upgrade a car that spends most of its time in the driveway. Even if I did I've no idea what would replace it.

What do you do to get motivated for your 4x4 again?

The bullbar and side steps are looking a bit faded so I might start by repainting them.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:44:04 PM by nab »
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: How do you get your mojo back for your 4x4?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
I sold it and bought a brand new one  8) and then I pay no attention to my bank account now :'( ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:04:08 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:56:57 PM »
I'll say it again. It's not about what you arrived in - the view is the
Same anyway - bob Ansett. Noosa surf club.
Get out and stare at stars. The car you have makes little difference.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:17:45 PM »
Quote from: nab
I've even done a few 4x4 trips in the last few months which were bloody awesome, it's quite a capable 4x4.

I have no spare money to upgrade a car that spends most of its time in the driveway. Even if I did I've no idea what would replace it.

The bullbar and side steps are looking a bit faded so I might start by repainting them.
100% in your shoes... even with camping and getting out.. just really CBF
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 08:31:05 PM »
mine was at the stage that I didn't trust it anymore and was waiting for the motor to die, so it can make a big differance...I honestly wasn't expecting my fourby to get me home from Tasmania on our last big family holiday, hence I got rid of it. Different circumstances to the OP I know,  it however proves the vehicle can make a differance if you are worried it won't get you home all the time
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:36:03 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »
Turn the wick up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »
Get more use out of it doing what you built it to do😁

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »

Great marketing speak from someone who unfortunately in the flesh is a total d!ck........yep he helped get noosa back its own council but the bad outweighs the good with that bloke.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 01:48:26 AM »
Great marketing speak from someone who unfortunately in the flesh is a total d!ck........yep he helped get noosa back its own council but the bad outweighs the good with that bloke.
I concur.  Definitely a different sort of human.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 04:48:44 AM »
Hi Nab, It all depends on you, If you are happy with yourself in your 4wd and it is reliable and does a good job well she is all you need, Besides that if you do not have the spare cash to up grade you have to happy with what you have, Like the boys said just use it more, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 08:41:06 AM »
We usualy keep our 4x4's for about 15 to 16 years, once I'm done with the mods and I'm happy with the "look" & "ability" of the vehicle I tend to stay happy with it for years.

Then it's case of maintaining it and useing it without abusing it to make it last !   I've have always been of the opinion that "it ain''t no fun being ordinary'' so I've always tried to make our 4x4 stand out ( for all the right reasons ), not as a cop attracting shooting truck but nice mods and well maintained. Don't get me wrong...................I'd love a new 200 series with all the Sh1t but I'm still waiting for those lotto numbers to fall  ;D
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 02:03:11 PM »
Yeah I'm happy with the Pajero, does everything I have asked and has all the mods I want, owes me nothing but I'm just not feeling the love for it lately. I reckon if I upgraded it would be worse as then I would have to work more to pay for it = less time to use it. Unless jk wants to go halves when he wins millions...

I feel I am getting plenty of use out of it and using the mods as designed, she gets treated like a 4x4 as often as I can. Aug/Sep 2016 - Perth/Melb/Uluru/Perth via Oodnadatta Tk & GCR, Dec 2016 - Yeagerup Dunes, Jan 2017 - Esperance beaches. Then kids back at school/other life issues in between, and of course I need to work to pay for all the trips....

Just drove to Adelaide and back in the work car (worked for a week at my bro's place). Took the swag and dog and had a blast camping at random places along the way, cracking fires each night, 4L petrol eating up the km and overtaking like everyone else is standing still hahaha! To be honest would have loved to have taken the Paj and did the Sharkcaver route but really needed the work car and associated tools.

Even as I sit here I need to do a couple of things to the Paj but I'm procrastinating. I changed the oil and forgot to get a new washer so I reused the old one, now its leaking like a sieve but that means I need to remove the bash plates, drain the oil, new washer, refill oil, reinstall bash plates. If it was my work car or the missus car I would be out there doing it right now!!!! I will do it today, will push myself to get out there hahaha.

I think I will remove the side steps and repaint them too, a lot of surface rust coming through. House chores can wait!!!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »
We've been in a similar rut - have a car we love that spends more of its life in the garage than what it should. Hubby has a work car, I have my XR6 ute, so the Patrol just doesn't get the attention it deserves.

I think for us we need to just make the effort to get out and drive more. But that takes time, planning, etc. A lot of the friends we used to go camping with are busy with kids, downgraded their cars to something a little more family friendly, etc. so often don't have the time and/or can't go where we still want to. That was actually a big motivation for me to get on forums like this - meet some other like-minded people who might be keen to get out and explore a bit. Having the people to help you get motivated to get out there definitely makes a difference, and in recent times we haven't had that. Sounds like you use your car more than we have been lately though! ;)

I think sometimes its just about biting the bullet, doing what you need to, and reigniting that love/interest for your car.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 04:18:41 PM »
Quote from: trinityalyce
A lot of the friends we used to go camping with are busy with kids, downgraded their cars to something a little more family friendly, etc.
that can be a big issue.. I know its one issue we have.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
In the same boat at the moment with my 80. It's in the process of being painted at the moment to give it a new lease of life. Was all set to pull the pin on a 1HDFTE conversion. But a couple of weeks ago I mentioned to the bride that I'm sick of working on stuff on my days off. Went and looked at a new Mitsy ASX for her and I was going to take over her 18 month old Pajero. I swear if they had of had a manual ASX I would have bought it there and there. Wifey got in my ear and suggested we finish the 80 and just keep it. We don't use it that much, barely does 5k a year.(I ride my bike to work most days) So for the amount I drive it the Engine swap would have been a big expense for very few k's a year. So I CBF with just about everything at the moment. Everywhere you look there is something that needs doing.
What's the answer? Who knows......................
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
I mentioned to the wife this morning I was considering selling the Prado. My son overheard and started to ball his eyes out and said 'we can't go camping anymore'. I guess that means we're keeping it. Just as well I didn't say I was also considering selling the camper. :o
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 05:03:17 PM »
One of those cycles in life I reckon........we have had peaks and troughs in camping and 4 wheeling, but then I spend most of the winter hunting in the high country, so I get enough 4 wheeling when doing that, that I don't need to go chasing off road adventures in addition to.
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
I mentioned to the wife this morning I was considering selling the Prado. My son overheard and started to ball his eyes out and said 'we can't go camping anymore'. I guess that means we're keeping it. Just as well I didn't say I was also considering selling the camper. :o

Now hes goooooood.
Crying on command,  hitting below the belt working out how to get maximum  guilt trip.
Next week you'll be going honey  I'm thinking of buy a toyota. On command your little fella starts crying.
Back peddle just a little bit (as planned) ok ok i meant a patrol y62.   
Little fella jumps with joy. Deal done...

AND you got your mow joe back...
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
I mentioned to the wife this morning I was considering selling the Prado. My son overheard and started to ball his eyes out and said 'we can't go camping anymore'.  I guess that means we're keeping it.
of course you can, the backyard isn't that much of a 4wd track is it?

Just as well I didn't say I was also considering selling the camper. :o
it'd be worn out by now wouldn't it?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »
First dibs on Jamie's camper  ;D

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »
You'll look after the camper for BD at least
Won't you Bird.
 Even if your not happy about the Prado.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »
I've had my 04 Pajero now for 5 years. I bought it as an unmodified grandpa spec and have added just about everything I need to it (tyres, lift, barwork, long range tank etc etc). I have given her some love recently with a major service plus a few other little bits and pieces.

It has never given me any major dramas, tows the camper OK (its main purpose), reasonably fuel efficient, doubles as the family car when the missus is at work, so far been very happy with its overall performance.

The missus has just bought a 'new' car (3 years old), I have spent some money on my work car which is now going great. Right now I enjoy driving both of them more than the Pajero.

I think I'm getting bored with it. I washed it today and usually that reignites my enthusiasm for it but not today. I feel like I/it needs a change but I've done all the mods I want to it, it's actually perfect for our family and the touring we do. It's also old enough so that when we drive down overgrown tracks I don't cringe when I hear all the scraping/banging sounds haha!!!

I'm sort of in the same boat , my disco is coming up to 19yo @370k.
 Its been the most reliable and cheapest vehicle to maintain in the almost 11 years I have owned it.
 Its my daily driver, tow vehicle and family hack and gets used off road regularly with battles scars (but scrubs up well) , I had no intentions of keeping it this long but I love driving it and apart from needing a minor power boost it does what I need and owes me nothing.

Sent from my K4000_PRO using Tapatalk

MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »
I'm sort of in the same boat , my disco is coming up to 19yo @370k.
 Its been the most reliable and cheapest vehicle to maintain in the almost 11 years I have owned it.
 Its my daily driver, tow vehicle and family hack and gets used off road regularly with battles scars (but scrubs up well) , I had no intentions of keeping it this long but I love driving it and apart from needing a minor power boost it does what I need and owes me nothing.

Sent from my K4000_PRO using Tapatalk

I have a '97 D1 & a '93 Tojo tilly & I don't understand this "Mojo" bit.
I love driving them and quite often feel sorry for the people in their late model 4x4's who obviously need fluoro long handle shovels, kangaroo jacks, traction aids etc to get anywhere. (Even the local shopping centre)
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
Well said Steffo, totally agree.
What's wrong with a wooden handled shovel.
Only $25.00 at your local hardware store.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 07:45:18 PM »
We go through marmite (vegemite) stages with our 4Runner - loving it or hating it...

Yes, it has it's faults (currently in the CBF to fix bin) as the head gaskets are leaking oil a bit, and is starting to get a bit tired all up with 328,000km on the body and chassis and unknown on the motor (we know it's had an engine swap at least once...). We'll get it sorted, as I have some spare heads here and a whole spare motor lined up...

What gets us liking the bugger again is:
A) Planning a trip - the trip to Tasmania, 6,000km door to door, was fantastic to plan (or not - we didn't have much of a plan)
B) Doing the trip, and seeing how well it does.

This realisation of how well it does makes us question what we replace it with, or do we replace it?

How many other 25 year old, 3.0 petrol, $3,000 4x4s can do that 6,000km trip averaging 14.5L/100km towing a 760kg camper trailer 95% of the time? OK we made sure we travelled light, but even so...

When you look at how much it costs to run (and has cost to run) you start to question what you do next - Quick guestimate is that we've spent about $3k on it in the last 3.5 years on modifications and non-maintenance repairs (HG's, improved exhaust and power steering pump) so really that's less than many people lose in depreciation in that time, and averaged over the 75,000km we've done, I'm quite happy with that as a number. We could probably still get around the $3k mark for it, on a good day...