Author Topic: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - Scratched the Y61 Patrol off the list  (Read 48347 times)

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
Re: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - liked the Prado
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
Hey Muzza, after 4700 k's struggling in the very slow lane with the big box on the back, a bloke seems to think my 105 days are numbered also...
I'm now in the same spot as you.
Oh bother, what to do.
First thing I did was check the back seat width of the possible replacements as I got 3 kids.
The L/C, and Pootrols, have it over the 4 door utes in that dept. I need every inch I can get with 3 kids.
After camping with Duggie and a few other swaggers on the weekend, I am defo going to test drive an her Patrol.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »
I'm thinking that beast of Douggies would be able to solve my headache for sure, and sound great at the same time.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
I'm thinking that beast of Douggies would be able to solve my headache for sure, and sound great at the same time.
Duggie sure does have a beast. I think he has wound the power down but it would still blow away most 4b's.

Your 2.5t on the back would surely slow down most things a bit, you sure you want to get rid of it?

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2017, 05:58:04 PM »
you sure you want to get rid of it?

No, just wanna add some grunt.
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
I wish, but 1 of these would do me nicely, 50% increase in g- gee's

2013 Expanda OB

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
I wish, but 1 of these would do me nicely, 50% increase in g- gee's
sounds like a plan!!!!!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
If your happy to consider a petrol 200series why not consider a Y62.

People are currently asking 45-50k for series one ST-L's

I paid 52k for mine over 3 years ago!! I rekon in 18months you should be able to buy a tidy one within your budget.
$49k is surely taking the piss!! Though if they are still fetching that money I haven't lost too much to depreciation :)

But it will probably be newer than an equivalent priced petrol 200sereis, has a lot more power and a better gearbox not to mention its pretty bloody huge inside!!

In fact if your prepared to consider a petrol powered option between Nissan and toyota the Y62 really is the default choice!
If you like Prado's and are happy with petrol the 4litre V6 is a cracker of an engine too!

If you like GU patrols the 4.8 auto solves the woeful performance issues of the 3.0CRD, but be warned, the fuel use horror stories are true! At least they were for my 4.8, would still buy another in a heartbeat though:)
I am stepping out of my 100 series. It just isn't doing it for me anymore. 1hz turbo, 1htd internals, intercooler etc... I still miss my old swb pajero. 4.8l Pootrol for me. Hunting has commenced.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2017, 09:35:52 PM »
Late model CRD 3.0l PATROL owner here. I have read the first and last page of this thread. Here is my 2 cents worth....
First up when people say they are gutless they're right.(lots of new factory turbo diesels are) Out of the box power wise they are a heap of junk, i very nearly got rid of mine due to the frustrating lack of power.
You will hear lots of horror stories but as far as I am aware and all the Patrol forums on the net, the reported failure rate and problems of the CRD patrol engine is actually fewer than most modern day diesels. Overall, They're actually very well built and are a strong and reliable unit.
A few simple and relatively inexpensive mods can turn it into (not a powerhouse) but a good and very livable with 4WD and tow vehicle. 100% glad I kept it now. It's night and day now to compare it power wise before mods. If I wanted, It will light up 33s on the road now 😎.
ECU REMAP - $1000
3" exhaust - $800
Dawes or Tillix valve - $300 ish
Upgraded intercooler - $500 - $1500
Intake and airbox models $500
Catchcan, egr block, boost and egt gauges - $500

It can and will tow your camper no worries. 👍 I probably wouldn't like to regularly put 3 tonne behind it (never tried) but most campers come in well under that anyways. We tow our fully loaded Jayco Eagle, with the Patrol also loaded up. It will easily sit on 110 all day long if needed.
The PATROL with a few off-road mods is also an absolute weapon off-road. All legal mods like 2" lift, 33" decent tyres, diff lock on the front and the Patrol will go further more easily than most other 4wds out there. Easily better than the 4wd Utes we use for work.
As for a cruiser 200... sure I'd love one, but unless I was buying new $$$$ or a low klm model say under 50000 I'd steer clear, they suffer badly from chocked up intake.. google it
76 series dual cab or wagon would be awesome too and I would definitely have one, but yeah, very $$$ for what you get. (Maybe the next car if I'm allowed)
Prado would be the pick of the soccer mums cars. The rest I'm not too fussed with. They're probably some very good vehicles, just not up my alley.
It's horses for courses really, lots of choice, all have their pros and cons.
I'm happy with my Patrol now, and have no intention to try to upgrade. Set one up right and you won't be disappointed.

GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2017, 12:09:39 AM »
"A few simple and relatively inexpensive mods can turn it into (not a powerhouse) but a good and very livable with 4WD and tow vehicle."

An interesting observation as I topped up the Challenger today spotting a good price trekking across town and calced urban consumption at 9.45L/100 kms when I'd experienced over 10 previously. You can certainly read the traffic ahead up high and try and keep 2T of vehicle rolling and I haven't really noticed the dreaded flat spot everyone talks about with these donks. Only fitted with a Provent catch can (which shouldn't affect immediate performance) and an electronic EGR delete and it's the latter that's got me wondering now, just  how much EGR affects economy and performance with these diesels.

Funnily enough the missus is getting slightly worse than that round town with the lighter 2L Suzuki SX4, although being 4 speed auto they are a bit thirsty but that comes into its own when towing 1200kg. I haven't towed with the Challenger yet but I can tell it will eat the Zook so perhaps power is relative and not absolute for some of us. In that respect I still want reasonable urban economy as that's where most of us do most of our mileage and I seem to be getting it. When you think about it they stick turbos on them to ram in more air so what price EGR eh?

PS: I should point out they're rated at 9.8L/100 Combined
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:27:39 AM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2017, 07:02:31 AM »
The 4.8 Patrol is a bit of a weapon, my cousin has one, and being a nissan mechanic he has given it the "lumpy cam and 650 double pumper" type treatment.
Towing 2.5 tonne he keeps up with traffic everywhere, up hill even.
Fuel consumption with the van, he wont tell me, but he can match my worse (20 L per hundred) when doing 80 k's.
2013 Expanda OB

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
Fuel consumption of the 4.8 is always a concern. Such a weapon though. I don't do big grand tours. The fuel use is only an extra few l per hundred over my cruiser. I still may end up in a dual cab ranger. They aren't without compromises neither. Still,  it's getting Atilla all tarted up for sale to see what I can afford. Shopping now is a bit cart before the horse. A friend had 60l per hundred towing a loaded boat through Fraser Island with 4.5 80 seriers. That was his tipping point. He is in an Amarok now.

Below is a bloke from Perth. I reckon he gets more chicks than l per hundred lol

https://youtu.be/BBzWVqJcL1Q

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »

https://youtu.be/BBzWVqJcL1Q

There ya go Muzza, thats what ya need, it'll have ya on 2 wheels all the way up gillies range.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:34:04 AM by DaveR »
2013 Expanda OB

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2017, 08:28:32 AM »
I see it doesn't get any easier for the tar boys tossing up between a newbie and an old thumper in hot demand.  Tesla or Monaro...decisions...decisions...
http://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/1970-holden-monaro-to-fetch-more-than-dollar300000-at-auction/ar-BBzXnQA
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline fergy

• Soft Floor Camper User
1996 Suzuki Sierra    2008 jayco hawk now gone 1978 millard pop top
Iveco daily 4x4
WR450F

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
There ya go Muzza, thats what ya need, it'll have ya on 2 wheels all the way up gillies range.  ;D
Hell yeah

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »
Now I know I'm on the brink of causing trouble with this, BUT
Is it just me, or am I seeing the 200's going for similar or less $ then a 100 series?
Could there be a reason for this?
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Moxley

• Tent User
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »
Now I know I'm on the brink of causing trouble with this, BUT
Is it just me, or am I seeing the 200's going for similar or less $ then a 100 series?
Could there be a reason for this?

Dusted engines?

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
More then 1? With a warranty?
2013 Expanda OB

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2017, 03:31:43 PM »
The 1hdfte was one of the very finest diesel engines released. Cheaper to mod and more reliable. 200s are friggen huuuuge too.
The hunjy you see for more money than a 2hunj will be super low k and pristine condition.  200 for similar price would be povo spec have many k and look like it. Were the oil use and injector probs fixed under warranty? 8x bad injectors at 1200 a pop..?  Could be interweb rumours.?

Hmmm that grays auction looks good though...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:34:26 PM by landbarge »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »
Quote from: landbarge
8x bad injectors at 1200 a pop..?  Could be interweb rumours.?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122257830303
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2017, 03:41:10 PM »
Don't make me research stuff before I relay pub talk. Fitted. That's what I meants. Yeah. Fitted.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2017, 03:51:23 PM »
Quote from: landbarge
Don't make me research stuff before I relay pub talk. Fitted. That's what I meants. Yeah. Fitted.

lol  ;D ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »
Hi All, A lady I know at Pomona had a late model 3lt turbo Nissan Wagon moter still good, they had a 6.6lt turbo inter cooled Duramax motor and 6 speed Alison auto fitted cost 40 grand drive in drive out, She said it pulls there new 2,5t van like its not there, And lots cheaper than a 200 series, Craig 
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
Quote from: Craig Tomkinson
Hi All, A lady I know at Pomona had a late model 3lt turbo Nissan Wagon moter still good, they had a 6.6lt turbo inter cooled Duramax motor and 6 speed Alison auto fitted cost 40 grand drive in drive out, She said it pulls there new 2,5t van like its not there, And lots cheaper than a 200 series, Craig
Finding someone of quality who can do the conversion is near on impossible... some massive hacks out there doing them.

Have 2 mates that actually visited the place in Packy that is doing their work to .. ask how things were going :D.
One bloke has had his car in there 18 months now, the other dropped his off for engine rebuild in September after being fitted by a different shonk down here that didn't bother to connect the Y pipe or air box, and the engine got dusted. Apparently ti was also an engine with only 67k miles on it, but was in that bad a condition even the crank was rooted and unrebuildable.

One bloke has been promised his car back more times than Speewa has had green cans, yet there it was yesterday parked a long way from the workshop door to be worked on.

When the first one was going 300rwkw and close to 900nm  (from memory) was nice.. but then again it went into limp mode the day he picked it up in Qld, 1/2 way through the blue mountains in middle of night.. then there was the weekend it caught fire as the oil lines for gearbox were less than 1inch from the header pipes...

As I said finding someone of quality to do the work is the hard part.

YMMV
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:27:43 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home