Author Topic: New poster  (Read 2396 times)

Offline bkim

• Tent User
New poster
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »
Hi, been a long time reader but this is my first post, I'm considering a leisurely trip around Oz, possibly breaking it into several shorter trips to different states, to catch up on some places I've been and maybe see a lot I haven't.  In the past for trips like the Simpson, Canning and Cape York I've always used a swag or tent / tent stretcher, but now I'm getting a bit older and have more time I will probably travel more slowly as I won't have a particular destination in mind.

I'm considering possibly a camper trailer but because I will be travelling alone, a forward fold would probably be the most appropriate for ease of setting up, the other alternative is to stay closer to what I have used in the past and just fit a rooftop tent (with possibly an attached annex for longer stays) and a couple of roll out awnings for cover and shade, the main drawback to the rooftop tent is having to breakup the camp to use the vehicle for day trips.

I intend to use my old trusty 88 SWB 4.2 diesel Maverick, after the last trip (July to Sept 16) to the Canning via Uluru across the Heather and Gunbarrel highways to Wiluna and the Canning then visiting Cape Leveque, I returned to Townsville via Old Halls Creek, Duncan and Buntine Highways then across to Burketown and Mt Garnet, travelling over 11,000 km.

I'm in the process of giving the old Maverick a little bit of TLC as I will keep it after a trouble free previous trip, just replacing all the rubber seals on the windows as age is catching up with them and will replace the rear trailing arm bushes and engine mounts for the first time, nothing else needed but normal maintenance

Interested to hear other member's thoughts on whether to go down the camper trailer route, or just the rooftop tent and a few minor upgrades to my existing camping equipment, bearing in mind the only downside to the SWB maverick is not a lot of internal storage for gear and no roof rack if a rooftop tent is fitted.

If I upgraded to a CT, I would still prefer something suitable (Modcon or MDC or similar) for occasional serious off road trips, if I had planned to restrict travelling to occasional unsealed corrugated roads roads I would go towards a Jayco outback or similar trailer variety.

Looking forward to your comments

Bob

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: New poster
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
G'day and welcome Bob.

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

KingBilly

Re: New poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 06:35:44 PM »
Firstly, welcome to myswag.

Are we talking about accomodating just you, or a couple or ?

If just you, maybe a Jetent Bunker with your awnings would be enough.  Get into more places with just the Mav than the Mav and a CT.

Happy camping
KB