Author Topic: drill bit sharpener  (Read 6998 times)

Offline toglhot

• Swag User
drill bit sharpener
« on: January 06, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »
I've made a number of drill sharpening jigs, this is my final effort, a four facet sharpener. I used a piece of 25mm square bar, linished it, milled a V for the drill, cut a 2mm slot down the centre for 110mm, drilled a stepped hole through: 5mm for 30mm and then 11.5 mm for the remaining 110mm. I had to extend an old 11.5mm drill and grind flat on the end so I could machine the end of the hole flat for a stepped bush to run on. I also drilled a couple of debris drain holes and tapped a few 5mm holes for mounting the slide plate, the end plate and the drill clamp. As you can see from the pics there are quite a few bits inside.
The 5mm advance rod was turned down to 3.5 on the end and a 5mm bush with collar was shrunk in place for the end bushing. I turned a bit of stock to 7mm, threaded the inside to 5mm x .8, fashioned a single wing and tacked it to the nut. The bush on the advance end was machined to 7mm with a collar, machined down to fit a 9mm spanner, and threaded inside the same as the advance screw. When screwed into place it’s locked off with a locknut. The plate on the end has a backlash adjuster and locknut and also acts as the outer bearing for the advance screw bush. The end plate is fixed by two 5mm allen heads which I had to turn down to accommodate the backlash adjuster locknut. To the rear of that are the thumb lock nut and the thumb adjuster.
The drill clamp U piece is attached via two 5mm allen heads. I machined a stepped 5mm nut and shrunk it into the top of the U piece. The adjuster screw has a thumb nut attached at the top and the adjuster screw pushes an H shaped plate down onto the drill flutes.
It will accommodate drills from 25mm down to 2mm, but in reality larger bits are probably better ground using a simple conical grinding jig attached to a linisher. Anything under 4 or 5mm would be difficult to grind accurately on this jig, so next project will probably be a jig with a drill chuck for smaller bits.
In use: The drill is secured in place by the adjuster and H plate. To advance the drill onto the grindstone, the advance thumbnut is turned and the single winged nut moves along the advance screw, guided by the slot in the bed, and acts on the rear of drill pushing it forward and onto the grindstone...
It’s quite a bit heavier than the previous jig I made, but also quite a bit shorter at just over 180mm long, it’s not quite as fiddly to use as the first jig and seems to do a better job (see pics of drill point.
I also made a nice wooden box for a housing and included the Chinese words for drill sharpener (a joke). At least I hope that is what it says!
Over complicated? Sure is, but it works well; and, it was an excellent project to design and make.

Yes. perfectly legal!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:00:19 PM by toglhot »

KingBilly

Re: drill bit sharpener
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »
Very talented  :cup: :cup: :cup:

KB

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 07:10:29 PM »
That's pretty cool :cup:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
if you want to double check how well it works, i have box full of blunt drill bits in my work trailer currently  :'( :'( ;D ;D
nice work, think i might buy a drill doctor though, looks above my pay grade to make something like that
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline kizza1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:30:53 PM »
I like it. How many man hours in it do you think. Not that it matters as nothing beats making it yourself from scratch.

I've got a drill doctor and still can't get the bloody split point to work.

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »
If anyone really wants to learn how to sharpen a drill, I'm happy to teach you, in a couple if hours and maybe half the length of a half inch (12mm) drill is all it takes.

Nice jig though toglhot!

Made one of these gauges as a first year apprentice as my first job, hmmmm a few years ago now.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »
Nice work but I think you got too much time on your hands

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »
Your mean Corndog.
At least while he's doing that, making the jig, he's happy.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline grc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 09:12:31 PM »
I am the same as Rumpig I would have 2-3hundred blunt drill bits
Laying around

CHEERS GRC  :cheers:

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:23:28 PM »
if you want to double check how well it works, i have box full of blunt drill bits in my work trailer currently  :'( :'( ;D ;D
nice work, think i might buy a drill doctor though, looks above my pay grade to make something like that

x2
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »
If anyone really wants to learn how to sharpen a drill, I'm happy to teach you, in a couple if hours and maybe half the length of a half inch (12mm) drill is all it takes.

Nice jig though toglhot!

Made one of these gauges as a first year apprentice as my first job, hmmmm a few years ago now.

Iam with mark. That jig is magnificent well done. But really with a correctly dressed wheel and a drill point gauge it's not that hard. It's all in getting an action going.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 10:42:09 PM »
Incdently if you want some other drilling tips ?

If the drill is chattering going through steel . Try drilling through a piece of flannel and keep the pressure on.

With larger drills if you need the hole larger and yoh don't have that size just sharpen the drill with one land (blade!) longer and the drill will cut oversize  ;D

Jim

Offline cheif carlos

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 12:20:04 AM »

Looks like it works well, did you get the design from somewhere or did you design it from other works?

but I will stick to sharpening drill bits the hard way with the 4" grinder
Need to get the backside into gear and get out camping

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 07:39:14 AM »
I got a tonne of blunt drill bits. Willing to teach anyone how to sharpen em.  :cheers:
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 08:01:51 AM »
That looks really cool. I'd love to have the skill to be able to build things like that.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline toglhot

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 08:47:05 AM »
I designed and made the jig myself.   The jig is for sharpening bits used on a lathe when accuracy is important.   In other words the shoulders will be the same length.   The length of the shoulders will vary when Sharpening by hand so the hole will not be accurate and that's fine for everyday use, but not if you want accuracy.   A facet sharpened bit also has a point so is less inclined to wander when starting a hole. 

I am retired so my time is my own, this is a hobby but I can't say I have too much time on my hands, quite the opposite actually.   Amazing isn't it, every village has one!

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »
I am retired

I had thought, he must be retired.

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 09:18:46 AM »
As an ex-Toolmaker myself, I can appreciate the work that has gone into this. Outstanding! I'd love to have the equipment and the time...

Cheers!
Andrew
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 09:38:40 AM »
An excellent job there toglhot, a bl@@dy work of art really. Good to see someone who understands why sometimes, close enough ain't always good enough.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline toglhot

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »
There are a plethora of sites devoted to hobby metalworking and machining, it's a hobby not unlike camping and caravanning.  Google 'Metalwork Forums' and you'll see what I mean.   

Offline toglhot

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
Here's another couple of items I've made.   They are called optical centre punches, again for accuracy.   On one I have included an LED light.   Not used often, only when accuracy is essential.   Very handy and very, very accurate.   For anyone interested in these sorts of things I have just set up a facebook page with some of the items I've made.   Unfortunately, RA has withered my hands and arms and using them is very, very painful so I can't work in my shed very often now; instead, I now use the keyboard a lot...   Silly me, the RA must have withered my brain as well, here it is:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/1698761733787694/

Yes, this is aso perfectly legal!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:01:26 PM by toglhot »

KingBilly

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
A Master Craftsman.

KB

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »
Here's another couple of items I've made.   They are called optical centre punches, again for accuracy.   On one I have included an LED light.   Not used often, only when accuracy is essential.   Very handy and very, very accurate.   For anyone interested in these sorts of things I have just set up a facebook page with some of the items I've made.   Unfortunately, RA has withered my hands and arms and using them is very, very painful so I can't work in my shed very often now; instead, I now use the keyboard a lot...

Great stuff mate well done. I still have a bit of gear and no time ! Sorry to hear about RA a horrible condition . I have a close friend who has it wouldn't wish it in a soul, Keep strong.

Jim

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 04:25:19 PM »

Nice jig though toglhot!

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=50900.0;attach=130447

Smashed my way through a whole pack of red licorice as they were all 90^ and not regulation 118^
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
2010 Lifestyle Extenda Elite
Great haircut

Offline toglhot

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 06:00:20 PM »
To drill an accurate hole the shoulders of the drill point need to be exactly the same length, you can't hand grind accurately enough to ensure the shoulders are the same length.   For everyday use on my pedestal drill I usually sharpen by hand, but if I want an accurate hole when I'm machining parts on a lathe I use the jig.