Author Topic: AFL Season 2017  (Read 99119 times)

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: AFL Season 2017
« Reply #400 on: September 23, 2017, 10:55:47 PM »

Sadly the AFL wont have the balls to suspend cochin

What did Coch do?  I didn't see anything worthy of a suspension.

What an awesome atmosphere!  Would have been deafening in the ground.

It's Tiger time this week.  Think Collingswood are big and feral.  Hold onto your hats!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #401 on: September 24, 2017, 12:20:04 AM »
Well here we are with the only two undefeated finalists as usual that both beat the next best contender in GWS by 6 goals each and apparently it's the first time not one player has played in a GF since inception in 1898 and either both Sloane and Cochin won't play or they both will because it will be hard to justify only one of them missing out. I think wisely the Barry Hall common sense decision will prevail here and both incidents will be deemed purely accidental  :-* 
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #402 on: September 24, 2017, 06:13:02 AM »
Well here we are with the only two undefeated finalists as usual that both beat the next best contender in GWS by 6 goals each and apparently it's the first time not one player has played in a GF since inception in 1898 and either both Sloane and Cochin won't play or they both will because it will be hard to justify only one of them missing out. I think wisely the Barry Hall common sense decision will prevail here and both incidents will be deemed purely accidental  :-*

To the average person it looked like an accidental knock with 2 players trying to win the ball. Common sense really when you have played 20+ games and this game is either do or die for your years efforts!  I expect hard football all the time. Hard and fair...this is what was shown by the 2 players on Sat night. However the nancy boys in the AFL will say that head contact was made and this is unacceptable. Cochin will get rubbed. If the AFL are really so concerned why are they not making helmets necessary?  By 2050 we have a game of kick to kick with all players dressed in head to toe protection and  with 5 minute quarters to lesson injury risk time! AFL and common sense will never come together for the betterment of the game.  Just hope adelaide get smashed in the GF....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:20:19 AM by Bigfish »
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #403 on: September 24, 2017, 09:04:30 AM »
Well in fairness to the AFL, getting 2 teams to the GF where no players have played in one is a big tick for the draft and salary cap and on average your team will win a flag once every 18 years (perhaps Adelaide fans are due for disappointment after back to back in 97 and 98?). You're right about the AFL's modern interpretation and if the Tribunal were consistent with home and away both Sloane and Cochin would be spectators for the GF. As for helmets they're not saving American Gridiron players from long term brain injury problems so AFL players have to be mighty careful with sling tackles and head high stuff nowadays and err on the side of caution.

Did anyone else think when push came to shove in the 3rd quarter with both sides tiring and the inevitable mistakes creeping in it was 90000 screaming Tiges fans that gave their team the adrenalin to push on past the pain threshold and win the game? GWS are clearly up against it with their lack of fan base. In that regard the GF will be a better test with a neutral crowd. Given all the various club allocations and corporates no competing club can stack the stands so we'll see which remaining team is really the best now.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #404 on: September 24, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »
Can somebody please explain just what the hell was going on with the umpiring last night ? It was so inconsistent at 1 stage I stopped watching the game for half of it, even the players were looking confused.
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #405 on: September 24, 2017, 09:45:24 AM »
Quote from: Bigfish
To the average person it looked like an accidental knock with 2 players trying to win the ball. Common sense really when you have played 20+ games and this game is either do or die for your years efforts!  I expect hard football all the time. Hard and fair...this is what was shown by the 2 players on Sat night. However the nancy boys in the AFL will say that head contact was made and this is unacceptable
... so this will be the new tactic in the AFL for 2018 - wipe out 4-5 players by 1/2 time and win the game.
He already has 2 strikes "fines" not suspensions hanging on his wall. hes a regular snipe under the banner of playing hard....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #406 on: September 24, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »
... so this will be the new tactic in the AFL for 2018 - wipe out 4-5 players by 1/2 time and win the game.
He already has 2 strikes "fines" not suspensions hanging on his wall. hes a regular snipe under the banner of playing hard....

Nothing to do with with sniping. If you haven't already watched the incident in slow motion ..do it.  Clearly shows that he was concentrating solely on the ball. Both players going for the football and going in hard. Commentators also state this whilst broadcasting.Exactly how quality players do it. Not one player tried to remonstrate..a sure sign that they saw the incident as a normal state of play.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #407 on: September 24, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »

I don't follow the tigs but  if Cotchin goes I'm going to stop watching AFL he attacked the footy and protected himself whilst doing so both players had there heads down low, if he goes Sloan has to as well which would be A real shame to what should be a pretty decent granny. I think Ellis is in more trouble than Cotchin and Sloan though that hit was a little crude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #408 on: September 24, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »
Quote from: Bigfish
Nothing to do with with sniping. If you haven't already watched the incident in slow motion ..do it.
They showed it about 5000000 times last night..... and the king of bashing people Dermy even said hes gone.

Quote from: lukeycat
I don't follow the tigs but  if Cotchin goes I'm going to stop watching AFL
They'll miss you :D

Lets be honest.. with the inconsistency of the match review panel, anything is possible..

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:12:54 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #409 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:51 AM »
They showed it about 5000000 times last night..... and the king of bashing people Dermy even said hes gone.

They'll miss you :D

Lets be honest.. with the inconsistency of the match review panel, anything is possible..

Hahaha yeh I'm sure the will notice me and chances are I'll still watch it. it's just really frustrating I've been umpiring footy the last 22 years including a couple of years doin TAC cup on dev list at VFL level. The AFL have changed the game so much in the last 5-10 years it's made it almost impossible to adjudicate. The match review panel seem to forget how quickly things happen on the field , the obvious snipes and bumps hits etc are very easy to adjudicate and the umpires more often than not make reports on the spot, the Cotchin incident wasn't even a free kick but when it's slowed down and played over and over again it becomes report by media and the actual context in which the event occurred is lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #410 on: September 24, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »
Quote from: lukeycat
The AFL have changed the game so much in the last 5-10 years it's made it almost impossible to adjudicate.
.. and to watch...

the Cotchin incident wasn't even a free kick but when it's slowed down and played over and over again it becomes report by media and the actual context in which the event occurred is lost.
. Apparently a lot of weight is in the Dr's report.. The fact that the bloke didn't know where he was at first crouched on ground, and then missed 3/4's of the game
then one week anything to do with the head is no go, but depends on who you are in the AFL... way too much
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #411 on: September 24, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »
One rubbish  side down... one to go!!
 How good a coach is gary ayres... why is he not an afl coach.. port melb  have been up fer years. .
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #412 on: September 24, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »
One rubbish  side down... one to go!!
 How good a coach is gary ayres... why is he not an afl coach.. port melb  have been up fer years. .

So nasty towards us! But you are correct and thats why they are in the reserves....because they are the players who let us down in previous years.

As for our seniors side, it is a big ask taking on Adelaide in the GF but as a supporter I am very happy that we are now playing the type of footy that will keep us in contention for a long time to come and to make it all the way to the grand final after last year is still hard to comprehend.

How far are the Blues away from playing in GF??  ;D At least we have given ourselves the opportunity to win a premiership  :cup:

YELLOW AND BLACK  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #413 on: September 24, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
Quote from: DannyG
How far are the Blues away from playing in GF??  ;D At least we have given ourselves the opportunity to win a premiership  :cup:
to be honest, I cant see one in the foreseeable future.. probably at the earliest 10-15 years and 4-5 coaches but at least I realise it :D

by the way.. what %age of Richmond fans were demanding your coaches head 12mths ago - inc some here, and were handing their memberships in ??? ??? ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #414 on: September 24, 2017, 07:04:32 PM »
to be honest, I cant see one in the foreseeable future.. probably at the earliest 10-15 years and 4-5 coaches but at least I realise it :D

by the way.. what %age of Richmond fans were demanding your coaches head 12mths ago - inc some here, and were handing their memberships in ??? ??? ;D

LOL your being a bit harsh on the Blues mate I think they could easily be in contention within a year or 2 if they can get recruit well.

The amount of frustrated supporters has nothing to do with anything. Supporters of all clubs want to blame someone at some stage for poor performances. Look at Bucks, I said on here somewhere that they should keep him and give him another year, yet the rest of the world said he should be sacked. I pick the Pies to be in the top 4 next year.....which Ill hate because I hate them more than captain blood does. But itll show that supporters wanting the coach sacked means nothing, its whats happening within the confines of the clubs that really matters.

Richmonds resurgence this year is due to Neil Balme. Yes the new guys like Nankervous, Caddy, Prestia and Costanga has helped and so has having another year under the belts of Rioli and Butler but truth be known it is Balmy and our game style that is the key to getting us where we are. Oh and not playing those guys that lost todays VFL GF has helped. PRESURE PRESURE PRESURE........

GO TIGES..... ;D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #415 on: September 24, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »
 The Tiges just need watch the dogs in last years GF, most thought the swans get up they just gotta believe
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #416 on: September 25, 2017, 12:13:04 AM »
The Tiges just need watch the dogs in last years GF, most thought the swans get up they just gotta believe

They'd have every right to believe Swannie given the level playing field between the contenders. Both have done everything right being undefeated and both beat GWS by 6 goals with home crowds and if anything the Tiges just got to practice their win on the big stage. The GF will be neutral fan territory (if Tiges fans can get their hands on more Melb based tickets being handed on Crows fans have had more time to get their hands on the interstate ones) and neither side has any experience on the big occasion bar both their coaches would you believe? If anything it's Adelaide's to lose finishing minor Premier but all it takes is a bit of misfortune with injury or missing the  goals and the other side gets that winning feeling.

From a non club supporter's point of view it looks like shaping up to be a cracker contest but either team can have a dirty one or a blinder and that's nothing to do with the occasion. A wise old coach explained that to me once. It's like this he said. You play on average 5 games of sport and 3 of them are a good hard day at the office for you personally. One of them you can't take a trick, fumbling and bumbling and it feels like you're running underground but the other one you've got the ball on a string and running a foot above it on cloud nine and that's the day you're in the best players. Then there's those days when all the planets align and the majority of the team is having a blinder or a shocker and/or vise versa with your opponents. When the sports Gods are smiling the team feels they could play another game straight after but when they're not they come off absolutely stuffed busting their guts running underground and chasing jumpers. That's a fine dividing line at AFL level but the capricious sports Gods are no respecters of mere mortals with their trivial special occasions and hype  >:D

Please pretty please oh great sports Gods smile on MY team just this once and I'll never ask another favour again.. promise.. cross my heart and hope to die  :cup:

For the rest of us we just want a good hard day at the office and may the best team win and as one pundit astutely noted that then comes down to the performance of the respective last half dozen selections for each side  :-\

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #417 on: September 25, 2017, 12:16:12 PM »
Quote from: The Guru
Sadly the AFL wont have the balls to suspend cochin (as much of a snipe as selwood is a diver) even though hes on 2 strikes...

They are always saying the head is a no go zone, and the opponent was gone for the last 3 and a 1/2 quarters

... and I was right. The head is once again a free for all
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #418 on: September 25, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »
... and I was right. The head is once again a free for all

I'm glad I can still watch the game, correct decision I think but that's not saying there haven't been a few during the year which were very similar which resulted in fines or suspensions.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #419 on: September 25, 2017, 12:49:34 PM »
Well there we are Cotchin free to play. 

MRP....    "The ball is loose between Cotchin and Shiel. Both players are seeking to win possession and are coming towards each other from right angles," the match review panel said in a statement.

"Cotchin moves down low and braces for contact as Shiel approaches to pick up the ball.

"It was the view of the panel that Cotchin was seeking to win possession as his line of direction was always towards the ball and not his opponent.

"The panel determined that Cotchin was seeking to contest the ball and therefore contact was not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken."

Exactly as it should have been!  Thank christ common sense prevailed.  Hope the tiges now beat crows by 1 point!!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #420 on: September 25, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
I'm glad I can still watch the game, correct decision I think but that's not saying there haven't been a few during the year which were very similar which resulted in fines or suspensions.
There have been many less than that that have been suspended.. I guess nobody gets suspeneded for grand finals.. ask Bazza Hall.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #421 on: September 25, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »
Have a good look at the footage, it wasn't suspension worthy.
Footage from behind doesn't look good, but frontal says it all, looks more like a heavy shoulder knock!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #422 on: September 25, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »
Quote from: vern
Have a good look at the footage, it wasn't suspension worthy.
Footage from behind doesn't look good, but frontal says it all, looks more like a heavy shoulder knock!
Except all year they have said 'hit the head, expect to be suspended'... concussion this concussion that.

But that WAS coming from the MRP.. worlds most inconsistant fools.

Im shocked Shiel wasnt suspended for headbutting Cochins shoulder
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #423 on: September 25, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
Except all year they have said 'hit the head, expect to be suspended'... concussion this concussion that.

But that WAS coming from the MRP.. worlds most inconsistant fools.

Im shocked Shiel wasnt suspended for headbutting Cochins shoulder
Well Sheil does get next week off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #424 on: September 26, 2017, 11:39:12 AM »
I suppose the brownlow count was rigged and Dusty shouldn't have been the winner??  >:D Bird? ;D

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build