Author Topic: Gloucester to Walcha road in NSW  (Read 6293 times)

Offline NewMax

• Tent User
Gloucester to Walcha road in NSW
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
Tomorrow will be heading Nth from Sydney for 10 weeks in Queensland. Had planned on driving up New England Hway via Muswellbrook to Tamworth. Now like the look of some of the stops near Walcha and wondered what the road up through Gloucester is like. We are towing a JAYCO camper. FOllowing stops will be Giraween NP, Crows Nest NP, and Cania gorge NP before heading for Rockhampton and up the coast.

Thanks NewMax

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Gloucester to Walcha road in NSW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
your talking about Thunderbolts Way?? Its a favorite road for motorcycles, windy etc.. we had some huge weekends up at Walcha/Oxley and home Thunderbolts.

it can be done, but I'd avoid travelling thru there on a weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolts_Way
' a total length of about 290 km (180 mi) (from Gloucester to Inverell), it is very hilly and winding as it passes through the very scenic  Great Dividing Range cutting the distance between Newcastle and Brisbane by about 70 km (43 mi) (together with Bucketts Way from Twelve Mile Creek to Gloucester). It is also very popular with tourists, including motorcyclists, as it offers many pristine picnic and fishing spots. Riverside camping spots are available at Gloryvale Reserve and Bretti Reserve. There is also a picnic area, with toilets, near the Barrington River bridge.'
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Finners

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Sampling perfect tracks - racetrack or 4WD!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
Thunderbolts is the must-do route from Sydney to Tamworth. Both scenic and faster than NE Hwy. Enjoy - and slow down to check out the riverside camping spots. Enjoy!
2012 Complete Campsite Fraser hard floor | 2012 Ford Ranger dual cab XLT 3.2 manual + too many mods - including nut behind wheel ;p

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 05:00:10 PM »
I know it doesn't answer your question about the Gloucester to Walcha Road, but if you get the chance to get up to the Bunya Mountains whilst your cruising around do it.  You wont be sorry.  Sorry for the side track on this post.

Offline mr_cougar79

• Tent User
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
We use Thunderbolts Way when we head up to Ashford at Easter time and its a good road at 5:30am lol.All jokes aside if ur in no rush and want the scenic route then i recommend it..The climb up the Mountain is slow(Maybe thats just my car 1HZ power house lmao) but its just another part of the trip.We go up with with our parents who tow 18ft caravans,i tow our camping trailer up and over so u shouldn't have any drama's with the Jayco Camper.
Name:Matt (VK2ZMT)
2003 HZJ105 GXL 4.2 DTS Turbo Diesel cruiser,2"OME lift,285 Cooper ST Maxx's, .Tough Country Camper (Ex Rental),

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:00:17 PM »
Great locations but it's gunna be COLD, Damn COLD

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »
Great locations but it's gunna be COLD, Damn COLD

Hem

Cold...it will be brisk....lol

Its a warm night in Goulburn only about 6.... :laugh: :cheers:

Racer

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »
That is warm for Goulburn...

The road is a nice climb....you will enjoy it.

I guess you are talking about the road from Gloucester through to Walcha, not the township of Walcha Road...?????
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:28:17 PM by Racer »

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 09:34:56 PM »
That is warm for Goulburn...

The road is a nice climb....you will enjoy it.

I guess you are talking about the road from Gloucester through to Walcha, not the township of Walcha Road...?????

You are right Racer...after having spending 3 months living in Goulburn many moons ago I can vouch for it being a cold place although Cooma was colder and this time last year I stayed in Walcha and it was freezing...

On the road between Gloucester and Walcha its long, winding but a nice drive.  I have never struck a logging truck going up the mountain but have been behind a few going down.  You will enjoy the drive and don't forget to stop at the lookout for a photo opportunity.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »
Quote from: NewcastleKnight
... and this time last year I stayed in Walcha and it was freezing...
X eleventy - worse on the bikes!

New England hotel in town was brilliant (early 90's!) - the bar stayed open all night for us! We asked about the local cops, and the barmaid pointed to the bar 2 old blokes - one owned the pub, the other was the sgt! :D

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline NewMax

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »
Thanks for replies re Thundeerbolts way. Had a great drive through. Stopped in line fo cars and utes near the summit with a large tree across road. Forty blocks and not one chain saw. Ended up using my $8 Bunnings handsaw made progress if slowly. One attempt to pull clear failed - Nissan!!!  Ended up with a large truck pulling off the road.  did take hin three attempts though. Found some good camping spots - cool nights. Now up in Crows Nest NP great spot have to oouselves at present -well us and a one legged turkey

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
If your coming thru Nanango send me an MM and I can guide you to my place for a cupper and tell you of some nice places to visit in the South Burnett.

Cheers Bruce
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955