Author Topic: 2006 Cub Spacematic Offroad as 1st CT opinions  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Raz89

• Learning the Ropes
2006 Cub Spacematic Offroad as 1st CT opinions
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »
Hey guys. Haven't been around here much but I am currently in the position where I may purchase my first ever camper trailer. I have had a RTT for the last 6 years and it has served me well time and time again. But I have just been offered a 2006 Cub Spacematic Offroad camper for $2000. Basically as you guys know infinite more things about camper trailers than myself I thought I'd ask what your thoughts are. Back story of the camper is; it's been owned by an older single gent who is giving up on it due to it needing some repairs. So I'm told that when he last used it that the winch broke and free spooled the hard floor part to the ground from half height. When this happened it put a tear in the canvas on one side near the rear hinge due to it getting stretched and it also bent a few of the internal brace poles. I haven't been able to erect the tent fully yet to assess the damage myself but will hopefully do that in the next few days. The zip for the tent is also stuffed from the drop. Do you think it is worthwhile me getting the trailer and fixing these issues at this price (seems cheap enough even considering these small issues). The rest of the trailer looks to be in fair condition for its age. Any advice would be appreciated. Here are a few quick snaps I got before I had to head off.

Cheers guys.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 2006 Cub Spacematic Offroad as 1st CT opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:48:44 PM »
Make sure you release the rear hatch door before opening the camper, you will end up bending the hatch door.

I reckon it's worth it although I could be biased  :angel:

Depends on the canvas rip I suppose and wether you had to replace the whole unit or it can be repaired and if you would be happy with seeing a repair each time you open it.

Get the chassis number and give cub a call to find out how It is to  replace the canvas and work it out from there.

They are a good unit and heaps of space when folded out. (I have a spacematic myself).

Offline pabhar

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:53:52 PM »
Spare internal bows for the tent are easy to source from cub as a spare part. I did this when I bought a second hand spacevan a year or so ago. The good thing about cub is you can get nearly every part to fit ( at a price) however you know it is designed for the camper. Seems like a good price.

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »
Damn, if you dont want if flip it for 2500,  but send me a pm first could be a quick sale

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »
$2000 for a camper trailer and even if you need to replace the canvas, which Cub can do, they do do refurbish work for their old campers, you are still going to end up with a pretty good camper at a good price.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Raz89

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 03:00:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for you opinions. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead with the purchase. Tomorrow I will bring the trailer home (10 kilometers from where it is located) to see how it tows and also to set it up to have a proper look over it and decide to commit to the purchase or not. I'll have to post up some pics etc of the camper if I do end up with it and will obviously be spending more time on here looking into how I can modify it for the better. Cheers again, I appreciate it.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 05:04:35 PM »
Quote from: alnjan
$2000 for a camper trailer and even if you need to replace the canvas, which Cub can do, they do do refurbish work for their old campers, you are still going to end up with a pretty good camper at a good price.
Massive understatement... should go in the bargain thread!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »
Go price the nrw replacement unit,,,, then decide on how fast you can stuff $$ in his claw  :cheers:  l have a Supermatic Escape that follows where ever we go  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Raz89

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »
Yeah speewa. I was shown the original invoice for the camper ($24760 as well as seeing what they are selling the non offroad versions of this model for on gumtree and was instantly convinced 100%).

Anyways, so since the start of this week I have become the new owner of this little camper. Now to get the small tear fixed and go over the whole camper with a fine tooth comb and sort out anything I don't like then get onto using it for what it was designed for. Thanks again for the help and I look forward to being around here a lot more.

Couple of pics of it hooked up to my pootrol.

Now I just need a boat rack/loader to put my Creek basher on the CT

And then to dual-cab my wagon to fit my other toys somewhere when I go travelling.