Author Topic: Whats your ultimate touring setup  (Read 9602 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Whats your ultimate touring setup
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:50:44 AM »
So this site is ultimately about camper trailers (although seems to be a lot of the hard walled variety commonly known as caravans) but in dreaming about what my next setup might be (as it years away) I keep liking the idea of an Earthcruiser type set up, sure the off the shelf versions are astronomically priced, but you can get ex-firetrucks that although often getting pretty old, are well maintained and low km for no more than you would likely spend on a trailer chassis/wheels/suspension plus mods to a tow vehicle to make it suitable for towing a biggish van.

Then I would think the build costs would be similar to DIY making a van as it would be as it would be a similar undertaking.

Part of my thinking comes from being a family of 6 so a lot more real estate is needed, it might be different if it was just two of us but I always find myself liking the idea more than towing a big enough van to fit us all in.

So firstly, if you were going to go for a touring setup from scratch, what types of setup would you entertain and secondly, what would be the probable negatives of taking the above route that I might not have thought of compared to a 6 birth caravan and suitable tow vehicle.

Here is an example of a fire truck (although think this one is only 4x2) that would suit and is only 15K, an advantage for me is you can fit 4 across the back seat so no third row needed.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Whats your ultimate touring setup
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »

Here is an example of a fire truck (although think this one is only 4x2) that would suit and is only 15K, an advantage for me is you can fit 4 across the back seat so no third row needed.

least you'd have a decent sized water tank  ;D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »
Hi Ta, They are a great idea for touring for value for money set up but height and width is there killer once offroad crawling into sandy and timbered camping spots. I have looked at doing something with the 4 cycinder diesel 4x4 dual cab Canters or Isuzu ex Bush fire or forestry trucks they go just about anywhere and carry nearly 2 ton, Set up a back on them that jacks off and then when touring can tow my 5m tinny would off been great, But changed my mind just could not find what I was after and went with what i have now, Craig       
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »
Light trucks and highways - no thanks. I'll take something comfy (200 cut down into a twin cab?) with a hybrid with matching wheel track please. If going long term I would also have a roof top tent on the tug so I can leave the hybrid behind when heading into properly fun country.

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »
Light trucks and highways - no thanks. I'll take something comfy (200 cut down into a twin cab?) with a hybrid with matching wheel track please. If going long term I would also have a roof top tent on the tug so I can leave the hybrid behind when heading into properly fun country.

200 cut down - $160K plus
Hybrid - 60 to 140K

Not that rich but guess some are  :D

KB

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
200 cut down - $160K plus
Hybrid - 60 to 140K

Not that rich but guess some are  :D

KB
He did say ultimate - I’m not dreaming with any budget in mind haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingBilly

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
As for the OP’s question.  A truck that size would be OK on black top and well maintained dirt roads, certainly not really suited to anything much more adventurous, too wide, too high, too heavy.  All the travel trucks never go too far off formed roads I would guess.

Step down to an Iveco Daily which is probably one of the most capable off roaders around and you “could” go almost anywhere.  But then they have a heap of engineering issues which need to be sorted before getting too far from civilisation.

Have you considered how a family of six normaly travels?  Do you pull up at one spot and not move again until heading to your next destination?  Is that what you do now?  Never pop off to see a local attraction?  Pop to the shops?  Go sight seeing?  Can’t easily do that in a giant motorhome.  Plus you got to pack up everything, each and every time you move.

KB
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:38:35 PM by KingBilly »

KingBilly

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 01:37:46 PM »

Ah, OK, fair enough.  I’ll have a similar setup then  :cup:

KB
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 01:40:34 PM »

The kind of trip I would have something like this for would be one where you avoided highways as much as possible, it would be about the journey as much as the destination, if it was predominantly for black top then I'd agree.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
Whether on road or off road, the needs of the kids will change and in their mid teens may not want to do trips with the family. At the same time, the younger ones may want to bring friends. So I'd have a rig with a nice queen size bed for you and your wife, 500 litres of water, a decent bathroom with with a very large holding tank or a composting loo, a large kitchen with plenty of refrigeration,  plus room for all of you to sit and eat in crappy weather. Aircon, solar, plenty of battery power plus diesel hot water are a given.

I'd have a big electric awning for sitting under to enjoy an adult beverage in the afternoons plus another on the starboard side (maybe with detachable walls) where the kids can put up their swags. Plus maybe a video setup on that side as well to keep them entertained when they want to be away from you. Filling the thing up with bunks will cramp the space and my guess is that nobody will end up enjoying it.

Or, if you have a cool half million, you could buy a half decent expedition motorhome with all the bells and whistles.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »
Have alway wanted to go back to a tray top and have a decent slide on camper. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »
Hi Ta, They are a great idea for touring for value for money set up but height and width is there killer once offroad crawling into sandy and timbered camping spots. I have looked at doing something with the 4 cycinder diesel 4x4 dual cab Canters or Isuzu ex Bush fire or forestry trucks they go just about anywhere and carry nearly 2 ton, Set up a back on them that jacks off and then when touring can tow my 5m tinny would off been great, But changed my mind just could not find what I was after and went with what i have now, Craig     

Yeah everything is a trade off, but when I compared it to a Jayco basestation (similarish features to what I would look to build) the height and width wasn't that different and I would guess  that the truck would be better off road than a LandCruiser towing a big van. The big downfall is that with a car and can you can drop the van and then explore in the car

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 03:25:24 PM »
As for the OP’s question.  A truck that size would be OK on black top and well maintained dirt roads, certainly not really suited to anything much more adventurous, too wide, too high, too heavy.  All the travel trucks never go too far off formed roads I would guess.

Yeah, the question of who could pull you out if you got bogged comes to mind.

Have you considered how a family of six normaly travels?  Do you pull up at one spot and not move again until heading to your next destination?  Is that what you do now?  Never pop off to see a local attraction?  Pop to the shops?  Go sight seeing?  Can’t easily do that in a giant motorhome.  Plus you got to pack up everything, each and every time you move.

Now we "camp" (set up in one spot) as opposed to "tour" which this would be more aimed at, I notice a lot of the Earthcruisers also have a motor bike on the back but wouldn't really fit 6

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 03:36:25 PM »

Probably looking more ultimate touring setup..... That's not far from reality, I'd happily either have a Bruder Exp6 +200 or one of the actual Earthcruisers but probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 04:17:30 PM »
Growing up my old man was head bridge ganger with QLD Rail maintaining the train bridges between Ingham and Tully.
He worked away for months at a time living in the bush or in basic relocatable work camps. And as people who know that area the train lines cross through some pretty challenging country, it was only cruiser utes and Canters working up there in those days.
Every now and then he would bring home has 4wd Canter that was fitted out in full QR specs, train wheels front and back, with the whole tray properly set up for living and working in the bush.
As a little 8 or 9 year old kid sitting in that huge cab driving around with Dad, my imagination went wild with how cool they could be set up to live a life on the road. I had that dream for many many years.
The dream continued even when I was doing my Boilermaker apprenticeship and my brother was doing his cabinetmakers apprenticeship, we’d often talk about setting up a business buying 4wd Canters and decking them out as the ultimate touring rigs (this was long before we know these yank earth cruisers where actually a thing).

But then I actually did some touring and did heaps of camping when I realized the big rigs are great fun to day dream about, but not so good in reality.

These days I still daydream about building a tourer, but Iveco based, just because they’re a bit more refined then the Canter and I think they’re a really cool looking rig when done right.
Having a reasonably capable camper that could tow a decent sized boat would be a great toy to own. But I just get that feeling actually living with the big rig wouldn’t be as much fun as it is in my dreams...

If we have to talk about real life;
I really dislike those massive 200s and Y62s, I have lots of thoughts about them whenever I see them up close, none are too positive. And getting stuck behind any of today’s huge oversized caravans is a guaranteed way to ruin a good day of any holiday.

But unfortunately with a family of 6 that disgusting combination of big slow ugliness is probably going to be the most realistic solution for you.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
Hang on a bit  , lets consider an exfire truck or the like is over 3,5Kg so your on 00 to drive it anywhere .                          & the value is     ???
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 04:47:17 PM »
Growing up my old man was head bridge ganger with QLD Rail maintaining the train bridges between Ingham and Tully.
He worked away for months at a time living in the bush or in basic relocatable work camps. And as people who know that area the train lines cross through some pretty challenging country, it was only cruiser utes and Canters working up there in those days.
Every now and then he would bring home has 4wd Canter that was fitted out in full QR specs, train wheels front and back, with the whole tray properly set up for living and working in the bush.
As a little 8 or 9 year old kid sitting in that huge cab driving around with Dad, my imagination went wild with how cool they could be set up to live a life on the road. I had that dream for many many years.
The dream continued even when I was doing my Boilermaker apprenticeship and my brother was doing his cabinetmakers apprenticeship, we’d often talk about setting up a business buying 4wd Canters and decking them out as the ultimate touring rigs (this was long before we know these yank earth cruisers where actually a thing).

But then I actually did some touring and did heaps of camping when I realized the big rigs are great fun to day dream about, but not so good in reality.

These days I still daydream about building a tourer, but Iveco based, just because they’re a bit more refined then the Canter and I think they’re a really cool looking rig when done right.
Having a reasonably capable camper that could tow a decent sized boat would be a great toy to own. But I just get that feeling actually living with the big rig wouldn’t be as much fun as it is in my dreams...

I really dislike those massive 200s and Y62s, I have lots of thoughts about them whenever I see them up close, none are too positive. And getting stuck behind any of today’s huge oversized caravans is a guaranteed way to ruin a good day of any holiday.

But unfortunately with a family of 6 that disgusting combination of big slow ugliness is probably going to be the most realistic solution for you.

Earthcruiser are actually Australian but now is also made in the States.
Canter owner and operator and I believe the ultimate Rig. But, just the Wife and I so there is a difference to others needs.

Dan.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 04:57:28 PM »
Earthcruiser are actually Australian but now is also made in the States.
Canter owner and operator and I believe the ultimate Rig. But, just the Wife and I so there is a difference to others needs.

Dan.
Sorry, was just using a generic term, like calling all headache pills “Panadol” or all sticky things to cover cuts “Bandaids”.
My mistake that I chose the Australian generic name and didn’t go with the “Overland Expedition Vehicle” that I thought was definitely American, but too long to write... ;D

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 05:13:29 PM »
Hang on a bit  , lets consider an exfire truck or the like is over 3,5Kg so your on 00 to drive it anywhere .                          & the value is     ???

You don't exactly have to drive home, hop in and go to bed, no designated driver needed!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
8 hours Throttle  to Bottle      8)
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 06:19:29 PM »
I had a look at one of those "Ultimate over lander trucks" at a caravan show in Canberra about 6 months ago.

There was 2. One Unimog and the other, dunno, but it was IVO $700k. Didn't tick any of my boxes. The main access was through the Shitter, as you bumped your head.

Mine, Landcruiser ute, portal hubs, auto and a toy hauler set up for camping and the dirt bikes.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »

I really dislike those massive 200s and Y62s, I have lots of thoughts about them whenever I see them up close, none are too positive.

Even though I own one, those "massive" 4wds really are only just a bit bigger than most other 4wds. But they sure are comfortable on a trip....unlike some "small" 4wds !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »
Touring or overland......either way we are working our way towards our ultimate camper for when we are kid free in three years and...........if the moons align we will test the waters with a 12 month drive around Europe.....if it works out we might drive back to Australia through Asia.

I only ever dream about what i can actually afford......

Just have to work out downsizing from a four bedroom house to all our belonging in our defender Poptop. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:21:05 PM by weeds »

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »
Sorry, was just using a generic term, like calling all headache pills “Panadol” or all sticky things to cover cuts “Bandaids”.
My mistake that I chose the Australian generic name and didn’t go with the “Overland Expedition Vehicle” that I thought was definitely American, but too long to write... ;D

Do you mean these guys, Earthroamer

https://earthroamer.com/
https://www.facebook.com/EarthRoamer/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:25:38 PM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan