Author Topic: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?  (Read 1741647 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« Reply #4225 on: May 03, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »
Go Gloss Black, will highlight top.
we have a blue gum slab on an old Singer sewing machine frame that I sprayed Matt Black, looks good I reckon. That table top is slightly flasher then our plain slab, so gloss is likely a nicer option for that table I reckon.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #4226 on: May 04, 2018, 01:03:11 PM »
Heres a project and a half with a difference  for you Wood working types https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCzJDk4ff6g
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4227 on: May 05, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
Just got hold of these photos. This is where I completed the first 3 years of my apprenticeship 70 - 72 at the Army Apprentices School at Balcombe Vic. Wish I had that hammer in the shed now as well as the smaller one that was in the opposite corner. We were the last intake of blacksmiths.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4228 on: May 05, 2018, 02:59:22 PM »
Just got hold of these photos. This is where I completed the first 3 years of my apprenticeship 70 - 72 at the Army Apprentices School at Balcombe Vic. Wish I had that hammer in the shed now as well as the smaller one that was in the opposite corner. We were the last intake of blacksmiths.
We had a blacksmiths shop where I did my time in. I used to love watching them. Old Tom was about 60 and could swing hammers all day. Built like a brick Shite house. Could make ornate items by hand in no time at all. More of a craftsman than a tradesman.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4229 on: May 05, 2018, 03:42:10 PM »
We had a blacksmiths shop where I did my time in. I used to love watching them. Old Tom was about 60 and could swing hammers all day. Built like a brick Shite house. Could make ornate items by hand in no time at all. More of a craftsman than a tradesman.

Cheers Glen

Our time was spent learning to make industrial stuff like shackles, spanners, A frames for towing. One of the instructors had a display of rose bushes he had made.

Fact is I do more woodwork now. Going to Bathurst next weekend to demo carving rocking horses & doing the same at the Millmerran camp oven festival in October.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #4230 on: May 05, 2018, 04:15:52 PM »
Need to find an interested  understudy  or set up a go pro and do some Tutorials to upload to  You Tube, Your talent  / skills  need to be shared .. Love ya work Ray .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4231 on: May 05, 2018, 04:28:33 PM »
Removed the original tailgate kitchen in my ct in readiness for the upcoming arrival on the new DPO replacing it.
Some minor electrical & water, gas plumbing mods needed to
 accommodate it.
Roll on next week
Photos will follow

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Gazza00

• Tent User
« Reply #4232 on: May 05, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »
. This is where I completed the first 3 years of my apprenticeship 70 - 72 at the Army Apprentices School at Balcombe Vic. hammer in the . We were the last intake of blacksmiths.

Hi Raym
Did you go to the reunion last week ?           (  26th VM )

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4233 on: May 05, 2018, 06:03:58 PM »
. This is where I completed the first 3 years of my apprenticeship 70 - 72 at the Army Apprentices School at Balcombe Vic. hammer in the . We were the last intake of blacksmiths.

Hi Raym
Did you go to the reunion last week ?           (  26th VM )

Hi mate,

No I couldn't make it although in hindsight I wish I had found a way.

Have to wait until our 50th reunion in 2020

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4234 on: May 05, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »
Need to find an interested  understudy  or set up a go pro and do some Tutorials to upload to  You Tube, Your talent  / skills  need to be shared .. Love ya work Ray .

Thanks for your kind words mate but I am just a backyard chook farmer. I just look at how other people do stuff and bang/hack away until I get the result I want. I don't think it would make inspirational viewing.  ;D

There are plenty of blacksmithing instructors around.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #4235 on: May 05, 2018, 06:29:56 PM »
Ok,
Not really in the shed, but under the house I moved a heap colourbond fence infill sheets to an area where I can sort through them easier.
Wish they were the same colour, could do nearly 15 complete panels

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4236 on: May 06, 2018, 10:53:18 AM »
Ok,
Not really in the shed, but under the house I moved a heap colourbond fence infill sheets to an area where I can sort through them easier.
Wish they were the same colour, could do nearly 15 complete panels

Just paint 'em - shouldn't be a challenge to a man of your ability! ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #4237 on: May 06, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
Just paint 'em - shouldn't be a challenge to a man of your ability! ;D
Hairs has the CBF’s  :D
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4238 on: May 06, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »
Not in the shed, and not in the camp oven, somewhere mid way.
This years main olive harvest, after 3 weeks if processing, all vacuum bagged up, with a variety of herbs and flavours. The Moroccan and the lemon, herb garlic and chilli are my faves
30kg in this lot, and about 10kg in the first pick. Leave for 3 months, and as we need them, put some into an jar of oil.
Bagged are easy to store and dont use gallons of oil to preserve.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #4239 on: May 06, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »
Hairs has the CBF’s  :D
Oh yeah,

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4240 on: May 13, 2018, 05:19:38 PM »
After about 8 years of ownership I have just had to change the fridge power supply socket on the Kimberley Kamper we own.  For some reason it came from the factory with a stupid merit plug set up, for the most part on all our adventures these past years It's worked fine, only had it come unplugged a couple of times, but lately the fridge has been temperamental with not turning on due to the plug connection being worn, twist the plug and it'd go, so time had come to do something about it. Thought about fitting Anderson plugs, but decided to fit the Engel type screw in plug set up with a surface mounted socket holder, quite abit of swearing involved due to It's location it had to go, and even abit of claret to boot in the end....though I have no idea what I actually caught my hand on to get that flowing...lol. Fridge should now be good to go again  for this year's couple of outback adventures it'll be going on
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4241 on: May 24, 2018, 07:01:26 PM »
tried out a new lighting option for the camper trailer:

3 bulbs for $10 delivered...

they work an absolute treat, too...  a softer, more even spread of light, compared to my led strip lighting...

will end up putting some anderson powerpole connections on them and using them under the awning.  probably only need two of them...

small, light, use bugger all power and cheap...  :cup:

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4242 on: May 25, 2018, 01:30:12 PM »
They came with the lead attached PM ???

Got a link ???

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4243 on: May 25, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »
As for myself, fitted a water tank sensor to the van tank, ran the gauge up inside & mounted it, so we can always see how much water we've got left ;D

Have a new respect for auto-sparkies & anybody else who does wiring in vans & so on :-* - trying to wrap zippie ties one-handed at full stretch at the back of a wardrobe, when the door is 1" too narrow too allow you to use both arms :'( Still doesn't justify what they charge though >:D

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4244 on: May 25, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »
They came with the lead attached PM ???

Got a link ???

lead came attached, about one metre long...

link is below:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YOYOLUO-High-Power-LED-Lamp-12V-Portable-Led-Bulb-3W-6W-9W-12W-15W-SMD2835/32835790917.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f124c4dEkD3PC

i got the 12W, cold white version...

The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4245 on: May 25, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »
lead came attached, about one metre long...

link is below:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YOYOLUO-High-Power-LED-Lamp-12V-Portable-Led-Bulb-3W-6W-9W-12W-15W-SMD2835/32835790917.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f124c4dEkD3PC

Thanks Paceman, ordered 5 last night, I'll change the leads to merits and add a it of extra length, good to go.
 :cheers:

i got the 12W, cold white version...
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4246 on: May 25, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
So, after a few weeks the brass fittings I ordered arrived, then work got stupid busy and I didn't have a chance to look at it until this week.

I bought a new extinguisher and let the old one off in the back yard. The dust goes EVERYWHERE, but the neighbours didn't complain, even though their washing was still on the line :-[. Don't dump it in one spot either, it kills the grass. Should be spectacular when I mow tomorrow for the first time since.

The valve came out of the top of the extinguisher with no issues, but finding a nipple to screw in proved next to impossible. Hardware stores had nothing, plumbing store had nothing, engineering supplied shop had nothing... but they did have a 1/4" BSP tap and 1/4" BSP fittings are easy to come by, so I cut the top off the extinguisher valve head, squared it up in the lathe and tapped it for 1/4" BSP. Issues then were only that there was a 1mm hole that vented into where the extinguisher pressure gauge mounted and that there was not much thickness in the head where the tap cut through. I sorted that by screwing in a hose fitting and soldering it in place with a heap of soldier. Hole filled and valve head now 12mm thick, not 3mm.

2 wins in a row:).

If it didn't work I had the gas cylinder option, but I get to keep it in reserve.

The extinguisher got a coat of yellow to try and keep the colour theme going. Colour is a bit off, but near enough. I managed to get more runs than Bradman, but most are on the bottom and its hidden by the mounting bracket.

All the plumbing was cobbled together for several trial runs before I settled on the setup. I tried the pressure switch closer to the cylinder, but figured if I mounted it in a box, then tools could rattle down there and I didn't want it shorting, so I kept it up high and it will be close to the relay.
For the On/Off switch, the one on the compressor is a bit hard to access now and the air fittings near it are likely to be hot, so I have a spare push button switch that came with a light bar, so will put that to good use. The rest of the lightbar wiring kit will probably get used for this as well.

The other job is a box to put it all in. I started done of those, but stuffed up and made it a bit too wide. I figured I'd live with it as I'll have room for tyre plug gear as well as the hoses. I could probably fit the gas cylinder if I wanted to upgrade the storage too.
The male Nitto fitting will probably get swapped for a female too.

Now I sit down and run a tally, doing things on the cheap isn't that cheap. I bought some brass fittings on eBay, but they weren't the best, so had to go to the big red hammer shop. I got some rubber seal for the box and priced the latches  :'(, I'm sure I had some I pulled out of the scrap bin stashed in the shed somewhere, might have to look harder.
$30 assorted brass bits
$20 extinguisher (old one was 10 years old, so probably due for retirement anyway)
$12 yellow paint
$14 rubber seal

Its all adding up.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:56:40 PM by Hoyks »

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4247 on: May 25, 2018, 06:48:04 PM »
Looks very good Hoyks...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4248 on: May 25, 2018, 07:01:07 PM »
tried out a new lighting option for the camper trailer:

3 bulbs for $10 delivered...

they work an absolute treat, too...  a softer, more even spread of light, compared to my led strip lighting...

will end up putting some anderson powerpole connections on them and using them under the awning.  probably only need two of them...

small, light, use bugger all power and cheap...  :cup:

Nice, glass or plastic globe?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4249 on: May 25, 2018, 07:22:59 PM »
Nice, glass or plastic globe?

Plastic, but seems a decent thickness...

Prefer the plastic bulb anyways... less chance of breaking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk