Author Topic: Dog Training Help  (Read 3962 times)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Dog Training Help
« on: January 10, 2020, 08:25:55 AM »
Hi guys i need some advise with training the monster

He is a Lab Border Collie cross that has just hit one year old

He is a good dog but lately his recall under distraction i.e another dog or just a more interesting smell around has really gone down hill. He is very food motivated but even this is now not enough of an enticement to come back if he has made up his mind.

I know he is entering the dog equivalent of adolescence and i am hoping this is a phase he will grow out of, but any other tips would be appreciated. I have been reading the net but like all things on the net the truth is buried on page 500 of a google search
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Dog Training Help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 08:52:35 AM »
The best thing we ever did was put our guy into a 2 week intensive live-in training course.
These guys aren’t in your area, but if you can find something similar around you, I would absolutely recommend it.
https://www.thecanineclassroom.com.au

These guys partner with a boarding kennel and the trainers go to the kennel to run intensive course with the dogs while staying there.
Our boy is an American Bulldog X Great Dane X some other things, most likely Boxer. He’s a great natured dog, but with his size he was hard to walk on the lead and his recall was hit and miss (at the beach there was no stopping him bolting off to play with everything he saw).
After the 2 week stay he has turned into an almost perfect pooch. He’s got all of the sit, drop, stay commands nailed pretty good. We do a short little training session on the driveway before we go on our walks and there’s no more pulling on the lead.
The hardest one for him is staying close to us when off lead and not getting distracted, while he’s not perfect at this, he is 100 times better then before we did the training.

I would highly recommend these training guys to anyone around this part of the world.
If you can find something like this in your area I recon it’s worth the money, it’s not cheap.... ;)

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
X2 for dog training, and consistency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
has he had any form of training?
Do you guys spend a lot of time with him, or is he getting bored lots and lots.. ?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 09:22:58 AM »
I am the guru at dog training.  One word from me and mine does what she likes!!!! Its a Jack Russell that has a mind of her own, is too bloody smart (even knows when we spell words!).  She runs the house....wouldnt have it any other way...love her to bits!!

As suggested...obedience school.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 09:26:48 AM »
has he had any form of training?
Do you guys spend a lot of time with him, or is he getting bored lots and lots.. ?

Basic Puppy Training and i do some work with him most days of the week (just basic sit stay etc)

he gets taken out 5 days out of 7 to the dog park, run on the boat walk down the street etc and on top of this gets about an hour each day of ball chasing in the back yard etc. he gets to come in every night after dinner is done and most days he is in the house with my wife at some stage as she works from home
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »
I’ve been looking at training options myself for our 6 month old Labradoodle. He’s generally a really good dog but pretty hyperactive.

There are so many options available with a huge price range to match!

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 09:44:00 AM »
I’ve been looking at training options myself for our 6 month old Labradoodle. He’s generally a really good dog but pretty hyperactive.

Unfortunately the Canine Classroom Brisbane sites aren’t that close for you, but they are awesome if you can get there to check them out and get an evaluation done on your pup I think you’ll be impressed.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 09:48:05 AM »
I did give them a call... they have a centre at Kedron so I’ve booked him in for an assessment.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 09:48:21 AM »

Talk to your local vet and ask who they recommend locally
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
G'day Chester, may be able to  help a bit. I have trained a few retrieving trial gundogs over the years and did ok in competitions. The method we used was to use an old side cast reel with about 100 pound fishing line on it. Go to a park with a mate that has a said distraction, tie the fishing line to your dogs collar and get your mates dog out a bit, start at 20 to 30 metres.  Let your dog go and when he gets about half way, issue your stop command and then stop the reel from free wheeling, once he has stopped then give him the next command , come  or whatever. We used to train to stop and sit to a blow of a whistle then could either send them back further, to the left, to the right, come in a bit or come in all the way that way we could give them assistance getting to a bird if their nose had missed it or away from a distraction and toward a bird. The method works very well and we would aim at having full control out to about 150 metres and remember ALWAYS finish training on a positive note and you will have him under control in no time

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline RedProw

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
We have just become the proud parents to a 9 week old Border Collie puppy.

I have been watching a training program on YouTube by Zak George called Zak George's Puppy Training Revolution. There may be some information that could be useful to you. We have been following his tips and I am pleasantly surprised at what we have been able to achieve with such a young pup in a short period of time. The key theme is consistency.

Good Luck.

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »
Is a guy that put out you tube videos of training dogs, unfortunately he passed away last year, but was really into helping train your dog. Google "outback dog training" . Also goes for others looking to get their dog to behaved. He has a huskiy and if he can get them to do what he can,  then his system must be OK, LOL.
Could also get a distraction distractor. A bell, whistle, rattle or the likes. Use it to train the dog that when it hears it it comes, then gets to play with a toy or pull rope, or gets a special treat and praise for coming. Then take it with you and use it when the dog is distracted.Got to remember this is a learnt procedure, learnt by repitation. It is your dog and should have a good try at training it yourself, which means time, before shipping off to someone else.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:21:23 PM by corndog »

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 02:33:25 PM »
Our collie X Kelpie has been trained almost by accident.... Yes she has the basic commands of sit, come and down, but other commands have come along through repeated use. The common ones are
-Leave it = ignore whatever you are looking at, thinking of chasing or have in your mouth. Works as her break off command, sometime with a whistle first to get her attention.
-Here (very sharp) = come alongside to heel
-This way = follow us in the general direction. We do a lot of mountain biking with her, as well a lot of walks locally off the lead, so we needed something that wasn't a full recall but so she knew where we'd gone
-Show me = this is her most recent one, and came about because she barks at the fox (and pretty much only the fox) as it comes past the house. We just repeated the command as she did her own thing until she realised that's what we wanted. Tell her that and she'll run off barking at it (whatever she thinks you want barked at) then run back to you until you follow her to where she saw it last. She does it on command as well which is useful as she makes a fair bit of noise.

We've also got her to recall on a whistle (2x pips) and that works on land (if you're on a mountain bike, motor bike, or on foot) and in the water (she comes river swimming with us) good think is that it's loud enough to hear over water; when we went to the beach last it was great as shed not hear you over the waves, but she could hear the whistle.

Op, my folks have had golden retrievers for the last 20 something years and they do basic training in year one, and refine it between 18m and 2 yrs as they start to listen then.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 03:11:16 PM »
I am the guru at dog training.  One word from me and mine does what she likes!!!! Its a Jack Russell that has a mind of her own, is too bloody smart (even knows when we spell words!).  She runs the house....wouldnt have it any other way...love her to bits!!

As suggested...obedience school.

That sounds like our Jack Russel. He's 4 now, and was a rescue dog. We,ve had him nearly two years, and he still isn't interested in come when he's called. I have only recently got him to stop pulling on the lead when walking, and he almost handles "heel". But yes, about being too damn smart, he not only knows when you spell walk, but watches to see what clothes I put on in the morning, to know if I'm going out somewhere. The difference between a yard T shirt and a good T shirt is all it takes.

B-A-T-H is another one he's worked out too...
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »
I’m sure most won’t agree, but I’ve trained our dogs via the kick up the backside method. I’m not saying hit or kick the sh!t out of him, but more of a firm reminder who is boss. Dogs are pack animals and need leadership.

Our current dog is a 7 year old Male American Staffie who is strong willed. But from about 6 months to 12 months but every couple of weeks I would get home from work and he would come over with this look in his eyes and debate me over who was the leader. I would put him in his place and he was fine for another couple of weeks and then he finally realised I was boss.

Also when training him I would get home from work and even though he was at the door waiting, I would ignore him and go to the Wife/Kids first to say hello. Only then would I give him attention- Set the pecking order

Same goes at dinner time, we eat first and then he eats second. Our house is highset, but I always feed him downstairs to he knows the humans eat upstairs and he eats downstairs.

I would then take him to the dog park stay the other side of the fence and make him sit for 10 minutes with other dogs running along the fence. When he mastered that we would go inside and I would take his lead off and tell him to sit until told he would move which could have been up to 10 minutes. (He got big pats for this) Then from coming back to me it started with treats and then pats. But if he failed these he got a whack.

So now the hard has payed off as we can go to a off lead play area or beach and know we just need to call and he is straight back to us.

While I’m tough on my dog, it’s obvious I’m still the dogs favourite and I love him to bits.

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »
We also have strong willed Jack Russell. She has been in constant training since her first day with us at 7 weeks of age.  Recall was excellent until we reached adolescence!  Now at 5 still hit and miss so only time off a long lead is at home or on the local oval in the mornings and she knows the distance from us she is allowed to go. She knows all the commands for stop, wait, sit drop, etc plus " no chase" and we can walk her past anything , birds, kangaroos, even rabbits on that command.  Insistence, persistence and consistency is what it has taken...and the training never stops. Good luck.
Desert Lover

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 04:41:53 AM »
I can’t go into detail, but my son has a working Labrador and has had him since a pup.

From what I see regarding training is persistence..

Take your time, more dog training and you will get there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 07:22:02 AM »
does he have a little spoon hanging off his collar?  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

CTL

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 10:01:34 AM »
Mate has owned and trained the Australian Champion sheep dog a couple of times.  Whilst he starts his pups with simple stuff at a young age, proper training only starts at about 12 months.  Couple of behavioural differences between his working dogs and a house dog so not all he has taught me is applicable to this thread but one of the most important is to never let the dog think he/she is in charge.  The dog always go through the gate/door AFTER you.  Never call a dog to you and then chastise it.  If you are going to get cranky at the dog, go to it.  If not, a dog will always be cautious of coming to you if it thinks it will may get a bollocking.  The owner/trainer has to always be calm and use the same tone of voice.  Consistency and repetition are the keys.