Author Topic: Dark Emu  (Read 2583 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Dark Emu
« on: January 01, 2020, 04:29:18 PM »
I spent much of yesterday reading a book by Bruce Pascoe called "Dark Emu". It is one of several books I have ordered so that I can start to educate myself on Aboriginal history. Dark Emu is a best seller and many Swaggers have probably already read it. But those who have not may be interested in what Pascoe has written.

After Terra Nullius was widely declared to be rubbish and Aborigines were recognised to have occupied virtually all of Australia, they were dismissed as being rather worthless itinerant hunter gatherers of no fixed address and with no tenable right to the land. Bruce Pascoe went back to the original contemporaneous notes made by a large number of explorers who came into contact with Aborigines during their inland explorations as they sought out grazing land for cattle and sheep. Pascoe then drew on other sources to paint a credible picture of Aboriginal society and Aboriginal economy during the 1800's.

Far from being nomadic hunter gatherers, Australian Aborigines lived in fixed communities and were expert in landscape and soil management. They grew crops of native grasses, rices and yams and stored their excess produce, which was frequently plundered by the explorers. They were perhaps the first people in the world to bake bread and knew how to smoke fish and meat as well as preserving a large range of other foods.  They managed native livestock. They were expert in aquaculture and one of their remaining fish traps is thought to be the oldest man made structure on the planet.

They made very large fish and bird nets which were observed to be the equal of anything seen in Europe and their women were capable of the most exquisite needlework.

They built houses in a range of materials from bark, turf and other materials over complex timber frames, to a form a wattle and daub, to full rock structures. These houses were clustered into permanent villages which were often home to between 1,000 and 3,000 people. They also built larger structures for community purposes. They built wells by using fire to excavate rock, improving and deepening these wells over generations.

The evidence is that they were not naturally warlike, but respected the territory and customs of other clans and tribes. They usually carried tools, rather than weapons. Their society, Pascoe concludes, was highly structured and the concept of land ownership was not known to them. They were custodians. They met for gatherings of hundreds of people who were fed over a period of several weeks and they traded far and wide.

All of this was observed by many early explorers and described it in their diaries, usually in the most demeaning terms imaginable. These explorers were funded by folks who were after suitable grazing land and news that the land was already occupied by a thriving and well ordered society was kept from their masters and certainly from the press.

As Aboriginal lands were occupied by sheep and cattle, the yam beds were eaten out and the carefully maintained fields of kangaroo Grass and other native grains were gobbled up by livestock. The previously cultivated soil was trampled down and became relatively unproductive. Aboriginal villages were burned.

This is a fascinating read. I found myself feeling ashamed of my own ignorance and felt a new appreciation of the need for reconciliation for what Europeans have visited on the world's oldest continuing society and culture.

Keith

200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.
The following users thanked this post: glenm64

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Dark Emu
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 05:12:45 PM »
Although it all may be true, the past can't be changed. But the future can, and rather than bitch and moan on past "sins"done to them, aborigines need to look to the future and determine where they fit into this modern society.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 05:36:18 PM »
I read the book a year or 2 ago and found it fascinating.

Far from "bitching and moaning about past sins" it is predominantly about the agricultural or farming feats of aborigines, dispellling the theory that they were purely unsophisticted hunter gathers.

Not long after I read the book and discovered such things as the use creation of aboriginal fish traps in Western Victoria, the same fish traps made the news as they became heritage listed.

Unfortunately over the last few months I have heard rumours of articles on ABC radio disputing the author's aboriginal heritage, and portraying the book as fiction.

With the fish traps being heritage listed I am torn between wanting to believe the writings and wandering whether it is a stetch of the truth.
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 06:52:51 PM »
I met Bruce in 2000, he did some work for the school I was working for. I don't doubt his heritage, I understood it was Bolt that was questioning it. This is what Aus Museum say about it https://australianmuseum.net.au/blog/science/bruce-pascoe-and-his-dark-emu/ for what its worth.
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 07:09:44 PM »
Although it all may be true, the past can't be changed. But the future can, and rather than bitch and moan on past "sins"done to them, aborigines need to look to the future and determine where they fit into this modern society.

That will always be the big issue. Blending indigenous culture and traditions into our society. We can all argue and have opinions on how this should be done but there is no right answer.

I could write a lot more about this, having now worked in over 8 communities over 3 states, every community has their own ways, culture and tradition. To try and get every community to all follow the same line is near impossible.

Try asking all the different cultures that have immigrated to Australia to follow our way of life and give up their traditions, beliefs etc to fit into our modern society.

Mark

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 07:50:35 PM »
That will always be the big issue. Blending indigenous culture and traditions into our society. We can all argue and have opinions on how this should be done but there is no right answer.

I could write a lot more about this, having now worked in over 8 communities over 3 states, every community has their own ways, culture and tradition. To try and get every community to all follow the same line is near impossible.

Try asking all the different cultures that have immigrated to Australia to follow our way of life and give up their traditions, beliefs etc to fit into our modern society.

Mark

Mark

My experience working in different aboriginal communities as well.  Each Mob, each Community, each Nation has it's differences to the next.  Not just in Culture and traditions but with language and laws.   And they don't have to be that far apart, distance wise, sometimes they closer they were the more they fought.  Also what works for one  does not mean it will work for another.  Despite the common misconception, not all Indigenous had or used the same tools or weapons.  Not all lived the same way.  Their different Lands dictated what and how they lived. 

I haven't read the book but have heard a bit about it.  The biggest complaints about the book I have heard is from other Aboriginals, ones that didn't live in the same areas written about.  Their view is that the book and Author is misrepresenting their Culture and Traditions, almost attempting to write them out of their place in Australian History. 

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 06:33:50 AM »
I have read and watched shows about him and that book and what has been proven about his thoughts and his heritage. That is why I don't intend on reading it. You can easily do the research yourself. So just keep an open mind. I love the true history of the first nations and admire them for it and their bush skills. Have visited some of their remote art and just looked in awe. But you could say migration came again to this country, like it has in every country, and it continues. For better or worse?  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.