Author Topic: edited.  (Read 15204 times)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: edited.
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 09:15:37 AM »
That climate change post was a classic example of the mentality of some on this forum.

Well, what happens then, three pages of the “old guard” smashing him.  Relentless bullying of a new member with an opinion different to theirs.  Sad and childish behaviour.

While I have been on this forum a long time, I don't reply to anyone any different, no matter how long they have been a member.
Like religion, climate change seems to have divided the public into either one side or the other, with no middle ground.
When someone on one side of the debate implies that if you don't agree with the obvious "right" side, you are mentally deficient , then people are going to reply to that..
I didn't reply in that thread ( I don't think ), but in any thread, I don't mind getting "stuck in ", but I try to never make it personal. But I will reply if it's personal back though.
Like all forums, try to stick to the topic and most of all, have a thick hide..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 10:32:22 AM »
While I have been on this forum a long time, I don't reply to anyone any different, no matter how long they have been a member.
Like religion, climate change seems to have divided the public into either one side or the other, with no middle ground.
When someone on one side of the debate implies that if you don't agree with the obvious "right" side, you are mentally deficient , then people are going to reply to that..
I didn't reply in that thread ( I don't think ), but in any thread, I don't mind getting "stuck in ", but I try to never make it personal. But I will reply if it's personal back though.
Like all forums, try to stick to the topic and most of all, have a thick hide..

That's about the way I see it.  I did comment in the Climate Change thread and did wonder where it would go.  Like a lot of forums or social media if it doesn't interest me I keep scrolling. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2020, 02:35:50 PM »
This forum has always had three levels of moderation. First, the membership, who are essentially the heart of the forum. They set for themselves a level of behaviour that they will tolerate before referring a matter to the Moderators via ’the report a post’. Second, the Moderators, who can’t be online all the time and have dwindled in active members. We will respond to reported posts and adjudicate as required. Third, there is the Admin team who have the final say, but who have the Moderator’s backs.

So, to reiterate, this is your forum. If you are not happy with the way the forum is going or have had enough of the ‘mens shed’ monopoly then report post or message and the Mod team will respond.

A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, Spada

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
I think a forum like this is still pretty unique and the people who run it do a brilliant job. Remember it is free! I pay $50 a year to be on a Bushtracker's forum and it is so far removed from this one. Exploroz is also different and there is a lot more abuse on it. I keep up to date on it and use to be a visitor and help where I could but pulled out when I was personally subjected to abuse. Why, because I was not a paid member. I was going to join but not after that. I have seen this forum change over the years and still love it. And I am sure if any of us needed help in our travels the members would go out of their way to help. So I am looking forward to more travels this year and more interesting conversations on Myswag. Kevin

Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline raider

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 03:26:41 PM »
I'll miss Kev's input into the "Old cars are cool" thread....... and some of his adventures. :'(
Don't live a life of going-to-do's and die with nothing done

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »
Maybe start your own Danny?? ;D ;D

I’d be happy to start one about Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 04:29:09 PM »
I’d be happy to start one about Danny

:cup: :cup:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 04:40:34 PM »
This forum has always had three levels of moderation. First, the membership, who are essentially the heart of the forum. They set for themselves a level of behaviour that they will tolerate before referring a matter to the Moderators via ’the report a post’. Second, the Moderators, who can’t be online all the time and have dwindled in active members. We will respond to reported posts and adjudicate as required. Third, there is the Admin team who have the final say, but who have the Moderator’s backs.

So, to reiterate, this is your forum. If you are not happy with the way the forum is going or have had enough of the ‘mens shed’ monopoly then report post or message and the Mod team will respond.
Love ya work mate/guys.
Cheers.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)
The following users thanked this post: KathyL

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »
I like this  forum but was just about to pull the pin the other day to, but then i go on FB and its just a free for all with abuse, and this one has some nice people on here on there day, I am far from perfect and said some things I regret, as I can post something and quite a few of you just do not answer so I know I am on the ice hole list to them thats fine, But I find out some great info on here and hope I put some good info on in return, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 09:30:47 AM »
This place isnt any different to family,  close and extended  ..
Some you are close to,  some you get along with ok,  others you grind with a bit and then theres ones you just dont have much or anything to do with ..
But as the saying goes " Thats life Jim " at the end of the day its what "  YOU "  make of it ..   No one will ever like every one .. Thats just nature ..
Stick around CT !  you got too much stuff to tell us and help to give,  to leave yet.  ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 11:19:58 AM »
No worries Mr edz, but you are spot on, Craig 
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2020, 12:39:39 PM »
yeh Craig... stay around mate. You've given me honest and helpful information in the past and I do my best to offer the same when i feel that I'm informed enough to be of any help.

But plenty of people here have offered their help and advice in the past to me and I really do appreciate it. And i I try to remember to offer thanks to them when they so generously offer their help.

A couple of you have gone above and beyond with PMs, emails and even phone calls offering help.

I have no idea if my political, religious, personal or social views match anyone here. :angel:

and I don't care.  >:D

It's not important to the important tasks of talking about camping and being ridiculed for buying a poptop van (ok... we deserved that).  :cup:

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.
The following users thanked this post: topcat, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 04:53:12 PM »
Thanks Wayne I try to be help full most times, Yes I like reading your threads and learning from your post to, Craig

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »
I have no idea if my political, religious, personal or social views match anyone here. :angel:

& that's good, because it doesn't matter! :cup:

:cheers:
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2020, 05:27:28 PM »
I don’t take anything personally on here and if I don’t like something I just go to the next post.
BUT the old adage “if you’ve got nothing nice to say, don’t say it” seems to be long forgotten. It seems people find it more important to get their opinion across than worry about others. Yes it’s only an Internet forum, doesn’t mean you have to be a knob. If no one was an arse in the first place it would a nicer place for everyone.

Plus the trips and camper builds on here are awesome, I follow them all but try to only comment when I think I can be helpful. Hopefully the reports and pics keep coming!!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2020, 05:46:14 PM »
It can be hard sometimes to know if someone is joking or serious too if they don't chuck a smiley ;D ;D :D ;D 8) 8) or a  >:( >:( >:( >:( on the thread too...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03, wakychapmans, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2020, 06:11:34 PM »
It can be hard sometimes to know if someone is joking or serious too if they don't chuck a smiley ;D ;D :D ;D 8) 8) or a  >:( >:( >:( >:( on the thread too...
True dat.
:)
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2020, 08:02:01 AM »
yeh Craig... stay around mate. You've given me honest and helpful information in the past and I do my best to offer the same when i feel that I'm informed enough to be of any help.

But plenty of people here have offered their help and advice in the past to me and I really do appreciate it. And i I try to remember to offer thanks to them when they so generously offer their help.

A couple of you have gone above and beyond with PMs, emails and even phone calls offering help.

It's not important to the important tasks of talking about camping and being ridiculed for buying a poptop van (ok... we deserved that).  :cup:

Wot e said ^^^
This is a great forum and a mine of information.
Likewise, I contribute if I can add value, read a lot of the posts but agree with the “if I’ve nothing positive to say, say nothing”.
I hope a lot of the “old timers” don’t leave - about camping, you’ve taught me all I know not all you know 😉
Thanks
Tony
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2020, 01:56:41 PM »
There has been a more negative tone on a number of threads in here lately, but it would be a shame to see any more of the great contributors (yes Craig, you’re most definitely included in that group) that have commented above leave this fantastic forum.

For me personally I agree with the earlier comment about Myswag being a “digital men’s shed” of sorts, well that’s the way I’ve always seen it anyway.
I’m way too young to know what actually goes on in a real men’s shed, but I always envisioned it is much like this place; lots of skilled, handy and knowledgeable blokes building all sorts of really cool things and giving out experienced advise to help those less skilled blokes to improve and achieve something for themselves to be proud of.
But also (just as importantly) I think of men’s sheds as providing a safe place for old guys to have a general grumble about things they see going wrong with the world and have some sympathetic ears around for when they’re a bit down on life or struggling with personal things.
I often see that sort of support happening here in Myswag.

Myself, I enjoy sharing progress on my little projects and I try to put up heaps of photos on here because I know lots of people enjoy reading and seeing that sort of stuff. I also try to do a trip report whenever I can, because that’s what brought me to this great forum in the first place.
But unfortunately, there’s only about 3 active build threads going on now and trip reports are few and far between these days.
So with that side of our “men’s shed” not doing much, the focus lately seams to be on the other “grumpy old man” side of things.

Perhaps it’s a sign of the world at the moment, where everyone is getting forced into picking a side, then taking a hard stance on the far extreme ends of the topic and shouting at each other from the fringes.
The peaceful middle ground is a pretty empty space in today’s society, and this seams to be getting reflected in Myswag lately as well.

Looking back on older threads there was always lots of banter between members and it generally had a lighter feeling to most of the posts.

I think Snow has nailed it, we need to moderate our selves a little better then we have been.

I know I have been guilty of starting or getting involved in a few heated discussions over the years, some of which I do regret.
Some time ago I made a conscious decision to not comment on any more religious posts, it was actually getting depressing to see the same couple of valuable members being attacked time and time again for choosing to stand up for their beliefs, so I stopped being part of the problem.
I’m seeing the same thing happening again with the power/climate topics, now I’m trying my best to moderate myself with those threads as well. I still intend to add to those conversations, but will be trying not to post in a way that can be taken as aggressive or inciting an argument.

Hopefully we can agree to disagree on these heated topics of the moment, or at least keep the conversations civil and stop with the personal attacks.

And finally,
I also agree with the earlier posts about new or not very active members being ignored.
Yes, we’re (myself included) all guilty of letting a post sit with no replies at all or a new member’s introduction post gets only one welcoming reply. If new members don’t feel welcomed how can we expect them to want to contribute further and help to grow the forum?

Sorry for the long post, but as I am someone totally apposed to social media, forums are pretty much my only outlet for sharing my thoughts and crazy creations with others.
I’d hate to see a great forum like this one die.

Besides, if it wasn’t for Myswag I wouldn’t get to see Craig’s posts about Pennefather River to keep me fired up for another serious fishing trip to the cape every year.... ;D
The following users thanked this post: Snow, Traveller, edz, Spada, wakychapmans, stephenh1235

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2020, 05:10:48 PM »
Spot on Pete, well said, Yes life is to short to get up set, Thanks, Craig

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2020, 11:37:53 PM »
There has been a more negative tone on a number of threads in here lately, but it would be a shame to see any more of the great contributors (yes Craig, you’re most definitely included in that group) that have commented above leave this fantastic forum.

For me personally I agree with the earlier comment about Myswag being a “digital men’s shed” of sorts, well that’s the way I’ve always seen it anyway.
I’m way too young to know what actually goes on in a real men’s shed, but I always envisioned it is much like this place; lots of skilled, handy and knowledgeable blokes building all sorts of really cool things and giving out experienced advise to help those less skilled blokes to improve and achieve something for themselves to be proud of.
But also (just as importantly) I think of men’s sheds as providing a safe place for old guys to have a general grumble about things they see going wrong with the world and have some sympathetic ears around for when they’re a bit down on life or struggling with personal things.
I often see that sort of support happening here in Myswag.

Myself, I enjoy sharing progress on my little projects and I try to put up heaps of photos on here because I know lots of people enjoy reading and seeing that sort of stuff. I also try to do a trip report whenever I can, because that’s what brought me to this great forum in the first place.
But unfortunately, there’s only about 3 active build threads going on now and trip reports are few and far between these days.
So with that side of our “men’s shed” not doing much, the focus lately seams to be on the other “grumpy old man” side of things.

Perhaps it’s a sign of the world at the moment, where everyone is getting forced into picking a side, then taking a hard stance on the far extreme ends of the topic and shouting at each other from the fringes.
The peaceful middle ground is a pretty empty space in today’s society, and this seams to be getting reflected in Myswag lately as well.

Looking back on older threads there was always lots of banter between members and it generally had a lighter feeling to most of the posts.

I think Snow has nailed it, we need to moderate our selves a little better then we have been.

I know I have been guilty of starting or getting involved in a few heated discussions over the years, some of which I do regret.
Some time ago I made a conscious decision to not comment on any more religious posts, it was actually getting depressing to see the same couple of valuable members being attacked time and time again for choosing to stand up for their beliefs, so I stopped being part of the problem.
I’m seeing the same thing happening again with the power/climate topics, now I’m trying my best to moderate myself with those threads as well. I still intend to add to those conversations, but will be trying not to post in a way that can be taken as aggressive or inciting an argument.

Hopefully we can agree to disagree on these heated topics of the moment, or at least keep the conversations civil and stop with the personal attacks.

And finally,
I also agree with the earlier posts about new or not very active members being ignored.
Yes, we’re (myself included) all guilty of letting a post sit with no replies at all or a new member’s introduction post gets only one welcoming reply. If new members don’t feel welcomed how can we expect them to want to contribute further and help to grow the forum?

Sorry for the long post, but as I am someone totally apposed to social media, forums are pretty much my only outlet for sharing my thoughts and crazy creations with others.
I’d hate to see a great forum like this one die.

Besides, if it wasn’t for Myswag I wouldn’t get to see Craig’s posts about Pennefather River to keep me fired up for another serious fishing trip to the cape every year.... ;D

Pete, like Jeepers I too have been considering removing myself from this once great forum, for similar reasons as other contributors have stated but I couldn’t let your above post go without offering some feedback.

One term you seemed to have phrased  in some of your posts is the “Wobbly Box”  now this may have caused some offence to others. Your turn will come when wife says “darling I think we need a caravan and it needs a toilet”  and you to will be towing a wobbly box along at a steady pace of 90 km.

You need to be more considerate of your fellow Myswag wobbly box owners  😀😀 oh and don’t forget daylight saving 😎

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2020, 12:05:18 AM »
But Rags, Pete does own a Wobbly Box of sorts .......... Just ask him how the little Jayco goes during a decent bit of wind when it finaly goes out camping .. ..
It'd be rocking and banging more than a Sin Bin  at the drive in on a Saturday night ..   ;D ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2020, 12:41:22 AM »
But Rags, Pete does own a Wobbly Box of sorts .......... Just ask him how the little Junko goes during a decent bit of wind when it finaly goes out camping .. ..
It'd be rocking and banging more than a Sin Bin  at the drive in on a Saturday night ..   ;D ;D

Fixed it for you Edz   >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D :angel:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2020, 08:49:27 AM »

I very seldom go into the introduction post section , but when I do I will not open a post without a member stating in their introduction where they are from . Unlike some members I do not need to add to my post count by saying G'day to every new member , but I will respond to new members if they state their location is somewhere in North Queensland .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "
The following users thanked this post: stephenh1235

CTL

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2020, 09:13:08 AM »
Unlike some members I do not need to add to my post count by saying G'day to every new member

And that is something that appears unique to this forum, an obsession with post counts.  Why?