Author Topic: Toll Passes for the Country Bumpkins  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
Toll Passes for the Country Bumpkins
« on: December 14, 2019, 09:37:56 PM »
Right... so I've got to do my infrequent drive into a city that requires toll roads to get around easily...

Got to get to near the Spirit terminal in Melbourne, and I'll be coming from the Hume... Google etc will fire me in on the M2 (which is the toll road option)

Now, after working out that Linkt in Melbourne would screw me for $5.50 to set up an account, I remembered that last time I set it all up via the Sydney toll provider for less... sooo... Linkt in Sydney will establish an account for $1.50... that covers you for all of Australia or they have an app (not advertised on Linkt Melbourne) that has zero set up cost.

So, after that rambling, does anyone know if that (LinktGo) will work in Melbourne, as it's not advertised as an option on their website?

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Toll Passes for the Country Bumpkins
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 09:46:20 PM »
Yes it works australia wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: Paddler Ed

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »
Hume - Western Ring Road - Westgate Freeway - Port Melb = No Tolls..... :cup: :cup:

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 11:02:51 PM »
I personally haven’t done the comparison, but our national fleet of work vehicles all use Victorian eTags.
Given how tight our financial guys are, I can only assume that’s because the Mexicans offer the cheapest deal compared to what’s offered in each other state.

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »
We have Breeze etags even though Sydney toll roads are the ones we almost exclusively use. We chose them because at the time all the NSW providers charged account fees.

2011 NT Pajero; 2007 Goldstream Crown 4B

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
You don't need an account. You can buy a pass online before you travel or up to 3 days after you have travelled. Even if you overlook doing this you will be sent an invoice. If you ignore this you will be subject to a fine. You have a choice of two passes Linkt or Eastlink. For your planned travel you need Linkt (Melbourne roads). As has also been said, you can get to your destination without using toll roads.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
You don't need an account. You can buy a pass online before you travel or up to 3 days after you have travelled. Even if you overlook doing this you will be sent an invoice. If you ignore this you will be subject to a fine. You have a choice of two passes Linkt or Eastlink. For your planned travel you need Linkt (Melbourne roads). As has also been said, you can get to your destination without using toll roads.

Mate, not related to the topic, but I had to google your town....I thought it was a gee up when I read your avatar !!   ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 06:26:24 PM »
Hume - Western Ring Road - Westgate Freeway - Port Melb = No Tolls.....

That's what I thought as well, I just want to have it set up as we'll have done 1200km by then, and I've got very used to not driving in the major cities, and I really could do without the worry of are we covered on a toll or are we not?

Yep, I'd looked at the passes, and the pass costs $5.50 to set up and then a bit for paying it all using a CC... or, the same scheme for Sydney costs $1.50 with no CC payment fees (and works in Melbourne): https://www.linkt.com.au/melbourne/legal/fees/melbourne-pass-fees and https://www.linkt.com.au/sydney/legal/fees/sydney-pass-fees

Alternatively, I can put the LinktGo app on my phone and it's free to set up and has no payment by CC surcharges... https://www.linktgo.com.au/legal/fees/linktgo-fees. Does cost an extra $0.20 for the rego matching, but as I'm probably only doing 2 journeys, the extra $0.40 is not worth it.

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 06:55:30 AM »
Mate, not related to the topic, but I had to google your town....I thought it was a gee up when I read your avatar !!   ;D ;D
Are you saying we (me and the other resident) are on Google? How did that happen?

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Travelling with Shirley the van!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 02:12:14 PM »
I have a Linkt account in Victoria, and drove around Sydney a couple of weeks ago. Nothing has come up in my Linkt account, so waiting on an invoice now.. :(
We've swapped from the camper to a van yay! :)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 08:34:14 AM »
We've got a Qld Linkt account, & when we used a couple of toll roads in Sydney ~18 months ago, they were charged OK ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday