Author Topic: SNATCH STRAPS - what are the good ones ?  (Read 45121 times)

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
SNATCH STRAPS - what are the good ones ?
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:25:28 PM »
 :4x4:
With so many brands of recovery equipment available,

what are the most 'reliable' and can I say best "quality" snatch straps on the market ??
Who uses what brand ??

*Bushranger
*Kaymar
-Ironman
-TerrainTamer
-BlackRat
-OpositeLock
#ARB

reading reports from 4WD forums
* excellent reports  ;D
# rated as bad  >:(

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:03:04 PM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline Coromal

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: SNATCH STRAPS - what are the good ones ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »
The 4x4 Action magazine team previously done a comparison test on all big brands for quality, load rating and value for money. I have a ARB 11000kg snatch strap. It cost $120 at an ARB dealer.
Off Road Coromal Pioneer PS451

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
Before deciding to buy an 11,000kg strap or an even stronger one, check whether your recovery points can take such a load.  I carry a TJM 8,000kg strap - if I can't recover or be recovered by that I'll try something else rather than use a stronger one.  Depends on your vehicle and the type of recovery points, but I'd rather break the strap than have it pull the recovery point off either vehicle - a piece of metal propelled by an 11,000kg strap is as lethal an object as you could find.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:15:54 AM »
Couple of years ago spoke with a guy who had been involved doing NATA testing of all sorts of different straps of different brands.  His advise was to buy "Just Straps" Snatch straps, said their gear consistently out performed other brands.

I went looking for Just Straps stuff, found that one of my suppliers sold their tie downs and was able to order in whatever I wanted.  Prices were way cheaper than buying same things from 4wd shops.  They don't come in fancy colours but they perform well.

:cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:28:30 AM »
I can't understand why the ARB straps would be getting a bad rap, I always thought they were pretty good.

I agree with the others, you want a lighter strap if possible.  From memory mine are only 8000kg or so.  Unless it is only a very simple recovery I would use the winch.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 07:07:20 AM »
http://juststraps.com.au/

I have an older ARB recovery kit, only because I got a deal I couldn't refuse.

Your rating system is not correct either.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline morcon

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 07:31:40 AM »
I have an 8000kg ARB and have used it plenty of times (too many) - have always found it to be reliable. I was of the understanding that you need a suitably rated strap for your vehicle that will be strong enough to survive the strain yet light enough so that it stretches in the snatch.

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »
Your rating system is not correct either.

D4D, I've not rated them, I obtained the test results from the net - so they must be true :-*

I'm asking the question: "what are the good ones?"

LINK: http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/53955/snatch_strap_ratings.aspx

LINK: http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/snatch-strap-test-results-25695/

LINK: http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3873

I need to buy a snatchstrap b4 May, so want one that's rated as a quality product and is reliable  ;D

These are the test results:

AUSTRALIAN 4WD MONTHLY
Snatch Strap Comparo - TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Repco’s 7500kg, Megastrap’s 9500kg, Ox’s 8000kg and Terrain Tamer’s 8000kg straps all failed in our tests at around one tonne under the claimed rating.
There was only one ‘technical failure’ in the group. MeanGreen’s 10,000 kg strap failed by just 241kg – a margin of under 2.5 per cent. It’s hard to find too much fault with that.
Eight straps credibly exceeded the manufacturer’s rating – some by more than one tonne. Those excellent performers were Mean Green’s 8000kg, Kaymar’s 8000kg and Terrain Tamer’s 11,000kg straps.
What about when they’re wet? Well, it’s pretty obvious from the results that water does significantly reduce a snatch strap’s breaking load. (It must be remembered that snatch straps are often used while soaking wet in a creek, in mud or in the rain.) Of the straps that passed, the effect of being soaked with water for more than 24 hours was to reduce the breaking load by an average of 1048kg – more than one tonne. That’s between 9.1 and 12.5 per cent, depending on the rating of the strap.
Megastrap’s 11,000kg and 8000kg straps, Mean Green’s 8000kg strap and Terrain Tamer’s 11,000kg strap all experienced a reduction in breaking load of more than 1.1 tonnes when wet.
Only Kaymar and Bushranger offered straps (both rated 8000kg) that exceeded their minimum breaking load specification when both wet and dry. Super Cheap Auto’s 8000kg, Megastrap’s 8000kg, Mean Green’s 8000kg and Terrain Tamer’s 11,000kg strap came credibly close to their minimum breaking specification when wet, however.
How much did they stretch? That didn’t vary much, with the range being 15 per cent (Mean Green 8000kg, Terrain Tamer 11,000kg and Bushranger 8000kg) to 24 per cent (Megastrap 11,000kg). Among the 8000kg straps that passed the dry minimum breaking load test, Black Rat’s offers the most elongation, at 23 per cent.

CONCLUSION
Based on the relative results, it is extremely difficult to find a good reason to recommend any strap that our testing indicates did not match or exceed the manufacturers claimed performance. In comparing the straps, we awarded a winner and a runner-up, then divided the remainder into three categories indicative of the straps’ relative performances.
To fit into the ‘Highly Recommended’ category, a strap had to exceed its manufacturer’s rated load before breaking (dry) and exceed 90 per cent of the manufacturer’s rated load before breaking when wet. To fit the ‘Recommended’ category, a strap had to exceed (or come damn close to exceeding) the manufacturer’s rated load before breaking (dry), and exceed 85 per cent of the manufacturer’s rated load in the wet.
‘Not Recommended’ straps comprise the remainder – that is, the straps that failed to come within a reasonable margin of the manufacturer’s claimed minimum breaking load in our tests, and continued to under-perform in the wet.

WINNER
Kaymar 8000kg
For exceeding the manufacturer’s minimum break load by 1288kg during our dry-break test, continuing to exceed that limit by 681kg in the wet-break test, and offering an impressive 20 per cent stretch at 50 per cent of the rated 8000kg load.

RUNNER-UPBushranger 8000
For exceeding the manufacturer’s minimum break load by 679kg during our dry-break test, continuing to exceed that limit by 281kg in the wet-break test, and offering 15 per cent stretch at 50 per cent of the rated 8000kg load.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Mean Green 8000kg
Terrain Tamer 11,000kg
Megastrap 8000kg
Super Cheap Auto 8000kg
Black Rat 8000kg
(Best stretch in the 8000kg class – 23 per cent)

RECOMMENDED
Megastrap 11,000kg
(Best stretch in the 11,000kg class – 24 per cent)
Mean Green 10,000kg

NOT RECOMMENDED
Terrain Tamer 8000kg
Ox 8000kg
Repco Mortorguard 7500kg
Megastrap 9500kg
ARB 8000kg
ARB 11,000kg
Super Cheap Auto 9000kg

This is the link to the test above:
 LINK: http://www.cc4wdclub.org.au/uploads/forums/snatchstraptest.pdf

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:18:08 AM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »
I wonder why they failed the ARB straps ::)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »
This is copied from the test results - they are not my own words  :'(

The results are based on the relative results, it is extremely difficult to find a good reason to recommend any strap that our testing indicates did not match or exceed the manufacturers claimed performance.
In comparing the straps, we awarded a winner and a runner-up, then divided the remainder into three categories indicative of the straps’ relative performances.
To fit into the ‘Highly Recommended’ category, a strap had to exceed its manufacturer’s rated load before breaking (dry) and exceed 90 per cent of the manufacturer’s rated load before breaking when wet. To fit the ‘Recommended’ category, a strap had to exceed (or come damn close to exceeding) the manufacturer’s rated load before breaking (dry), and exceed 85 per cent of the manufacturer’s rated load in the wet.

‘Not Recommended’ straps comprise the remainder – that is, the straps that failed to come within a reasonable margin of the manufacturer’s claimed minimum breaking load in our tests, and continued to under-perform in the wet

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
Interesting read Mainey.

In those results I would view the Bushranger strap as the winner, as it was the strap that broke closest to its braking strain recommendations. I can see that the Kaymar is a good performer however 1288kg over its recommended limit may in some circumstances cause some issues.

I have a brand new set of Opposite Lock straps and haven't used them yet, 8000kg snatch and 4000kg extention. Incidentally I went to use the extention strap yesterday to pull a tree off a track (Used a drag chain instead) and the straps are not marked. I thought this was poor form. One has a label that states 8000kg x 9m strap. The other one say's 4000kg x 20m. No where on them does it say winch extention/tow strap or snatch strap.

The rating of them to your vehicle is very important. I have broken a few in the field (always using rated shackles and tow points). On one occasion when recovering a mate we broke 3 or 4 straps, even with dampers  on (Wet beach towels) the force of the strap put some light dents in the tailgate of the 80 series I had at the time. (Recovering a F250 duel cab with caravan attached)

I use 8000kg straps and just carry a few.

I would be interested on your view's as to wether these (8000kg) are too light should I need to recover a loaded 80 series and a packed camper (1500kg max). 

Regards

Jas

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
Interesting read Mainey.

I would be interested on your view's as to wether these (8000kg) are too light should I need to recover a loaded 80 series and a packed camper (1500kg max). 

Jas

I'm the last guy who can give an opinion on them, reasoning is I've never, ever used a snatch strap, don't even remember having one in my hands at any stage in my life

But I hope, an expect that will change in the near future  ;D

That's the sole reason for this thread, to give me the information required to allow me to make an educated decision so I can then buy the best available and not just rely on the advertising blurb.

I would have probably bought an ARB strap because they are so well advertised  :'(

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »
I wonder why they failed the ARB straps ::)

A cynical person may suggest that ARB didn't supply the snatch
Another awesome forum.... now i'll never get to bed :D

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »
I've had several ARB ones over the years inc a couple being used for club Driver training Demos, and never had one fail in a recovery. I have 2 now, and will stick with them, they work for me.

I don't believe anything in magazines... I feel they are full of biased advertising dollar bullShit results.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:06:20 AM »
I remember reading the report where the ARB straps failed, apparently ARB were very upset with the results but they were factual so couldn't deny the outcome. I believed it caused a big internal ruckus with their supplier and they sorted out the quality issues. There is a later report and the ARB straps now came out on top, or at least performed on top but may not have been the best value for money.

Was one of the very few non-biased reports i have seen in 4X4 Monthly (Action?) where they critisised an advertiser. But it had the right effect and ARB changed things to make it better.

Cheers

Captain

PS. No affiliation with ARB, just remembered reading the articles. I have several (3) ARB straps and (4) Just Straps for both snatch, winch, tow and protector - different lengths and rating snatch straps for different vehicles.
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
I don't believe anything in magazines... I feel they are full of biased advertising dollar bull**** results.

I would have to agree with you there in most cases  ;D ;D

However, when you read the way this test was done it does look like this test looks to have indisputable results that are directly relevant to the 'strength' of the straps and that is the information I am seeking

If there is a later test than this one, I would like to see their results as I don't want second rate snatch straps  ;D

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »
I'm glad you've asked this question as Stookie and I were talking about quality snatch straps over Xmas. This will give us a starting point :cheers:

Lil :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »
Jas

I'm the last guy who can give an opinion on them, reasoning is I've never, ever used a snatch strap, don't even remember having one in my hands at any stage in my life

But I hope, an expect that will change in the near future  ;D

That's the sole reason for this thread, to give me the information required to allow me to make an educated decision so I can then buy the best available and not just rely on the advertising blurb.

I would have probably bought an ARB strap because they are so well advertised  :'(

I have used them 100's of times both at work and at play. They are great for a quick recovery in the right conditions. I have done a number of 4wd courses and been shown how to use them in various conditions. They are a great piece of kit to have as an option as long as you respect them because they are the most dangerous piece of recovery gear available IMHO.

When looking for a strap, look for one that suits your vehicle. Particularly the type of ends on the strap. Some have eye's of varying thickness and others (Some ARB) have the flat ends that are weaved back through the strap. Personally I go for looped ends that fit inside my towbar receiver. I remove the tow bar tongue put the strap in the receiver and then put the pin through the eye on the strap. I much prefer this method than attaching to a recovery point (Extra shackle - potential missile) at the back of the vehicle. It ensures that the strap pulls from the centre also not from one side. As you are aware you should never ever put a strap over a towball. Always use a damper also.

The best way is to have go at one with an unbogged vehicle, start off gentle and then work your way up as your confidence builds. They are quite gentle on the vehicle's when used properly. I generally go easy and do a couple of snatches rather than one big pull depending on the conditions and recovery type.

ARB have been around for a long time, and have a good name. Interesting that OL straps were not part of the test. My OL one's were bought for me by my mate to replace the ones we broke when recovering his 250. To be honest all of the ones we broke that day were ARB ones, however they were working way above their design limits and did many snatches before they surrendered. If my mate didn't buy the OL straps for me I would not have hesitated replacing mine with another ARB set.

Regards

Jas

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:22:21 AM by Jason B »

Manjimike

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 10:20:51 AM »
Some good info there, thanks Jas

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
http://www.4x4buyerstore.com.au/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29778

black snakes are excellent, but they are very inflexable in the loop ends to fit in towbar reciever :( Or I'd have one of them too
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »
http://www.4x4buyerstore.com.au/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29778

black snakes are excellent, but they are very inflexable in the loop ends to fit in towbar reciever :( Or I'd have one of them too

""Made from high strength 6.6 load bearing nylon fibres which are encased in an extremely durable cut and abrasion resistant rubber casing with an excellent strength to weight ratio.

These recovery straps rated the highest in a recent Australian 4wd Monthly comparison test.
There is no better recovery strap available on the market today!
8000kg rated version featured. Available in a wide range of ratings and lengths to order. POA.""

Think we need to contact them about their information ;D

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:31:48 AM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »
....snip..... Interesting that OL straps were not part of the test. ........snip........

I think the Mean Green range is OL's exclusive brand.
[insert witty comment]

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »
If your planning on using the pin in your box style towbar to attach your strap too, then that will narrow your choice down.

I know a couple of brands have now increased the size of the loop, which means they no longer fit into the box section of a towbar. The sales lines says by doing this makes it stronger, but the cynic in me says it’s all about then having to buy a recovery block that then fits into your towbar.

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »
If your planning on using the pin in your box style towbar to attach your strap too, then that will narrow your choice down.

I know a couple of brands have now increased the size of the loop, which means they no longer fit into the box section of a towbar. The sales lines says by doing this makes it stronger, but the cynic in me says it’s all about then having to buy a recovery block that then fits into your towbar.

THANK YOU
Good point
I will look out for that  ;D

Offline cewilson

• Tent User
    • cewilson
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 05:13:41 PM »
I've used Black Rat and ARB extensively over the years and found both products more than adequate to the task.  I am just about to replace the Black Rat (brought in 04) as it's starting to show excessive wear.

I've only ever brought 8000kg ones as I like the strap being the weakest point of the recovery.
1998 Trak Shak
200tDi Defender
90 series Prado, gas/petrol