Author Topic: Measles warning issued for north coast  (Read 4047 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Measles warning issued for north coast
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:59:00 AM »
https://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/news/measles-warning-issued-for-north-coast/3699014/?fbclid=IwAR2xOLSLStihF9QTTGQUhP4kiUYooCIQ8ShqWnA0_qQAiBt2IS-_bgarohY

"PEOPLE on the north coast are being warned to remain alert for symptoms of measles with cases now confirmed in passengers travelling on North Coast XPT trains earlier this month.

Two passengers travelling on North Coast XPT trains between April 5-6 have been diagnosed with the illness.

"People who were travelling on the train at those times and who therefore may have been exposed to the two cases reported in the media earlier this week could still develop symptoms up until April 24," Director North Coast Public Health Unit, Paul Corben said.
"

How far will it go
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Measles warning issued for north coast
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:29:31 PM »
I hope for a lot of kids sakes it doesn’t make it this far.

Sadly we’re surrounded by idiot anti vaxers around these parts, would be devastating if it got into those communities.

Unfortunately not much has changed around here since this happened 10 years ago.

Queensland Health will screen more than 1000 staff and students at a Sunshine Coast high school following the second outbreak of measles in South East Queensland in as many months.

Pupils and teachers at Beerwah State High School will be screen by 20 Queensland Health nurses at a testing station set up at the town's community centre after several cases of the contagious disease were confirmed at the school on Friday.

It follows an outbreak of measles in January at a secondary college in Brisbane.

There are two confirmed and four suspected measles cases at Beerwah. Three of the four suspected measles sufferers were reportedly not vaccinated.

Sunshine Coast Education regional executive director Rob McAlpine said all students were being encouraged to attend school to be screened today, and only those who had not been vaccinated would be asked to remain at home.

Parents are being asked to provide evidence their children had received at least two doses of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine so they can resume classes immediately.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/measles-outbreak-at-sunshine-coast-school-20090302-geavd5.html

Now they’ve even setup their own little play groups to make sure the viruses spread as fast as possible between them all...

Sunshine Coast vaccine refuser and leader of the Natural Immunity Community, Allona Lahn, said her anti-vaccine network had grown to 800 members and was becoming stronger since the regulations were introduced.

"We've been forced out of the mainstream," Ms Lahn said.

"Out of sheer necessity we've created a community base to support families — we've had no choice other than to start our own social services.

"The network is ultimately about protecting members of the community because many are so fearful and feel scared, alone and isolated."

Australia's national target is for 95 per cent of five-year-olds to be immunised.

Data from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) showed that in 2015-16, about 93 per cent that age group was vaccinated, up from about 90 per cent four years earlier.

However, some areas of the Sunshine Coast have the lowest immunisation rates in the state for five-year-olds, ranging from 86 to 93 per cent, depending on location.

https://abc.net.au/news/2018-02-28/anti-vax-network-sets-up-own-social-groups-no-jab-no-play/9491054?pfmredir=sm

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »
Bit hard to talk about measles and the other contagious illnesses without referring to the anti-vaxers. 

When you start looking at the outbreaks around the world it seems to be only a matter of time and we'll have our own large outbreaks.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »
Just a bit concerning when there is so many of them living so close to you.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:37:21 PM »
Was bad enough when we had to get a shot before our Grandson was born but it is a little price to pay for him to be and stay healthy.  I know you can't wrap them in cotton wool but there is a lot you can do
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Measles warning issued for north coast
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 08:01:55 PM »
Interesting timing with this thread, my 10y old daughter just asked me today about the scar she has on her arm.

My wife is from South America and when our girls were born the doctors asked if we would be taking the kids back overseas. We said we would be traveling to visit the family and the doctors strongly recommended they get the BCG vaccine as a precaution to protect them from human tuberculosis.

You don’t see many young girls with the scars on their arms from that vaccine these days like most adult women have. But we don’t regret our decision for a second.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:04:02 PM by Pete79 »

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »

Now they’ve even setup their own little play groups to make sure the viruses spread as fast as possible between them all...

This is the bit of their whole argument that makes the least sense. They are effectively immunising their kids.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 08:08:14 PM »
Interesting timing with this thread, my 10y old daughter just asked me today about the scar she has on her arm.

My wife is from South America and when our girls were born the doctors asked if we would be taking the kids back overseas. We said we would be traveling to visit the family and the doctors strongly recommended they get the BCG vaccine as a precaution to protect them from human tuberculosis.

You don’t see many young girls with the scars on their arms from that vaccine these days like most adult women have. But we don’t regret our decision for a second.

Like this one?   https://www.healthline.com/health/smallpox-vaccine-scar#vs-bcg-with-photo
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 08:09:36 PM »
Yep.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 08:09:59 PM »
This is the bit of their whole argument that makes the least sense. They are effectively immunising their kids.

Just have a few more risks with immunising that way
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 09:06:30 PM »
What I did not realise until these recent measles outbreaks is that the medics are recommending adults to get a boaster shot for measles. I know ( pretty sure) I got vaccinated as kid but will be talking with the doctor re a boaster shot on my next visit.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 09:24:37 PM »
What I did not realise until these recent measles outbreaks is that the medics are recommending adults to get a boaster shot for measles. I know ( pretty sure) I got vaccinated as kid but will be talking with the doctor re a boaster shot on my next visit.

It can't hurt.  Before our Grandson was born we had to go and have booster shots.  MMR and Whooping Cough I think it was.  MMR : Measles, Mumps, Rubella

https://www.kidspot.com.au/health/family-health/real-life/the-5-vaccines-all-grandparents-should-have/news-story/22a6c7627c22b2c0e549e8184bdaa2d3
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 01:38:21 PM »
could still develop symptoms up until April 24

Oh lovely, so half the crowd on ANZAC Day could be infected / ious, & may not even know it :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 04:42:14 PM »
Oh lovely, so half the crowd on ANZAC Day could be infected / ious, & may not even know it :'(

ANZAC Day or you have the thousands and I mean the THOUSANDS turning up for the Byron Bay Bluesfest this weekend Thursday 18 - Monday 22 April

https://www.bluesfest.com.au/schedule/?DayID=118
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 07:54:24 AM »
I had measles and chicken pox when I was young never killed me, we are all vaccinated with bosters but my son still got whooping cough nearly died doctors could not believe he had it,  I think they are not as good as they use to be, Craig

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:05:11 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 08:05:57 AM »
Yea, when I was a tacker, 99% of the kids at school (not that there were a lot. 30 maybe) went through the big three, Measles, Mumps and Chicken pox, had some time off, then back to school.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 08:06:50 AM »
I do think, though, that vaccination is the way to go, if it's as good as we're told.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:12:08 AM by Steffo1 »
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »
Yea, when I was a tacker, 99% of the kids at school (not that there were a lot. 30 maybe) went through the big three, Measles, Mumps and Chicken pox, had some time off, then back to school.

Yep i remember when we had chicken pox at our little primary school the mums brought all us kids together to get it over and done with in one hit man have times changed
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 11:14:03 AM »
Still plenty of chicken pox getting around and lots of parents still think the same way.

However Measles is not Chicken Pox......
Back in 1980 around the world 2.6 million people died from measles... Died, as in dead.
Just in the first couple of months of this year 1,000 kids in Madagasca died from measles.

While in Australia;
In the 20 years leading up to the vaccine introduction in Australia there was 356 deaths from the virus.
In the last 20 years there has only been 3 deaths in Australia from Measles.

Sadly theres a small group in socity doing their best to get those numbers back up again.  >:(

I had German Measles (Rubella) as a young fella.
Apparantly the symptoms of that virus are 'mild' compared to normal measles, but I had massive complications from the fever and still remember feeling like I was going to die for over a week.
I wouldn't want to see my kids suffering through something that should be eradicated in today's modern world.

Offline Sir Campalot

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 03:24:22 PM »
Still plenty of chicken pox getting around and lots of parents still think the same way.

However Measles is not Chicken Pox......
Back in 1980 around the world 2.6 million people died from measles... Died, as in dead.
Just in the first couple of months of this year 1,000 kids in Madagasca died from measles.

While in Australia;
In the 20 years leading up to the vaccine introduction in Australia there was 356 deaths from the virus.
In the last 20 years there has only been 3 deaths in Australia from Measles.

Sadly theres a small group in socity doing their best to get those numbers back up again.  >:(

I had German Measles (Rubella) as a young fella.
Apparantly the symptoms of that virus are 'mild' compared to normal measles, but I had massive complications from the fever and still remember feeling like I was going to die for over a week.
I wouldn't want to see my kids suffering through something that should be eradicated in today's modern world.
Perfectly said.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 05:23:20 PM »
Smallpox has been eradicated by vaccinations.

I'm happy for my kids to have any vaccination that is on offer. The risk is so minute it is not worth considering  vs the risk of catching something and the complications that can occur.

I had chicken pox as a kid and later shingles as an adult . Don't wish that on anyone.
Also had cowpox as an infant, which makes me immune to smallpox. Apparently I was as crook as and could have died. Who would wish that on their kids.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
It’s here...

QUEENSLAND has recorded its 14th measles case of the year with a diagnosis on the Sunshine Coast.

With more than eight months of the year left, the case means the state has already equalled the number of confirmed measles infections recorded for the whole of 2018.

It’s the second measles case of the year for the Sunshine Coast region after a person who acquired measles in Southeast Asia flew into Brisbane on February 16.

Sunshine Coast public health physician Andrew Langley said the latest case also became infected in Southeast Asia.

“People who are known to have been in close proximity to the case have been contacted and provided with public health advice,” Dr Langley said.

Most of this year’s Queensland measles cases have resulted from people who acquired the virus overseas and then generated infections on their return.

Dr Langley said anyone born since 1965 should ensure they had received two measles vaccinations, particularly if they were planning overseas travel.

The surge in Queensland measles infections comes amid a global measles epidemic.

Preliminary World Health Organisation data shows that measles cases internationally rose by about 300 per cent in the first three months of this year, compared to the same period last year.

Many countries are in the midst of measles outbreaks including the Philippines, Thailand, Ukraine, Myanmar, Madagascar, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, causing many deaths, particularly among children.

Spikes in cases have also occurred in countries with high overall vaccination, including in the United States, where an outbreak in New York has mainly affected under-vaccinated Orthodox Jews.

Complications of measles can be serious with about one in four people requiring admission to hospital. Some people suffer permanent disabilities after being infected with measles, including permanent hearing loss and brain damage.

Measles symptoms include a fever, fatigue, runny nose, moist cough and sore and red eyes.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 08:23:29 AM »
Not good news, Pete.
When we were heading to Asia, our GP whacked a few treatments into each of us.
I thought this was the norm?
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top