Author Topic: For users of Photobucket  (Read 43018 times)

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
For users of Photobucket
« on: June 28, 2017, 06:59:37 PM »
I tried to post an image on a forum last night and that image got locked out.

Thinking I may have blown my monthly upload allowance, it seems I am horribly mistaken.

I received an email today stating my account does not provide 3rd party hosting. To do so, I have to upgrade to their Plus 500 account (the only account that allows 3rd party hosting). For the measly sum of only $400USD per year, I can have 3rd party hosting.

Their policy changed on the 26th June. This applies to all "free" account users and other upgraded accounts except for the plus 500. I have checked some other forum posts where PB was used by others and atm, they seem intact. Maybe my account was flagged due to volume. My blog had 1700 hits in the last month? But according to their new policy, everyone will be affected. So PB users, beware, you may loose this functionality.

I have over 50 posts over the last 6+ years to try and sort out. This will take me 12 months to resolve, even if I can find those pictures again, and resize them.

So now I'm on the lookout for another photo hosting service. Any suggestions......
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Online austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: For users of Photobucket
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
Hi,
Imgur.com

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »
Mines working ok, just the usual "you can upgrade " etc
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »
Perhaps it could be something with how you host your blogs?

I haven't got that notification yet, but Photobucket has been getting way too cluttered with adds and painfully slow for a while now.

Imgur is heaps easier and quicker, but I (like most people I assume) have my Photobucket stuff pretty sorted these days.

Though if that's the game they want to play I have no issue walking, there's plenty of other image hosting sites out there.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 10:55:37 PM »
Quote from: Pete79
I haven't got that notification yet, but Photobucket has been getting way too cluttered with adds and painfully slow for a while now.
massive understatement! speed has been deplorable for a few years now.
The ads are what Shit me the most...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 01:05:07 AM »
I s'pose it's digressing a bit.
Why do they steal download from us by filling it with adverts?  (Unrequested content)
Has anybody tried getting back at them for it?
Has Fliker been any good for photo hosting?
Do Fliker use your stuff without your consent, like Fakebook have been reputed doing?
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 05:44:53 AM »
I just chose the last photo I took and gave it a whirl. Yep, just checked and this pic posted fine and I know we haven't updated anything.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:46:48 AM by Jeepers Creepers »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 06:38:05 AM »
Was just on LCOOL forum and noticed the photobucket pics posted by someone in a thread haven't shown up, but a message is there instead relating to 3rd party hosting.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 06:38:54 AM »
Same for a ct add on here

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 08:04:56 AM »
This last week or so, PhotoBucket has started telling me that I can't see other people's photo's because of my AdBlocker, despite me being logged in as a user, so yes, I'm also now in the market for an alternative >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »
I've lost a whole folder from my photobucket.
All of my "Rocky build" photos are gone.
Now I have to go through all my USB sticks, SD cards and external hard drives and hopefully find them...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

3rd time lucky

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »
Just checked my CT thread and yep all gone - 3rd party hosting has been temporarily disabled. Whatever that means lol.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 12:03:44 PM »
I've lost a whole folder from my photobucket.
All of my "Rocky build" photos are gone.
Now I have to go through all my USB sticks, SD cards and external hard drives and hopefully find them...
Bill
shouldn't they still all be on PB?? Are they deleting peoples accounts without telling them???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 12:21:41 PM »
From what I have read they have drastically reduced the amount of bandwidth they allow so that is why some are affected while others aren't. Intriguingly my PB hosted piccy's are fine but none of my onedrive ones are working.   :-\

edit, seems I can fix the onedrive ones with a tweak of the code, not sure what changed though
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:23:36 PM by tryagain »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »
http://photobucket.com/terms

Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

EDIT:
the much bigger picture is that photobucket has offered free 3rd party hosting since around 2003, so there are millions of images attached to blogs and DIY and projects that will go away en masse. most of those photo owners will not pay the $40/mo....

A kwik google gets me http://photobucket.com/p500/

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:25:49 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »
Yep, they changed their terms of service a few days back.

http://photobucket.com/terms

The only account now that allows 3rd party hosting is the plus 500 and that will only cost you $400usd a year.

Lots of people at this point have been unaffected, but their terms and plans are pretty clear.

Unless something changes I suspect all non plus500 accounts will get blocked eventually.

I agree, its become downright unusable over the last 12 months or so. If it wasn't for the fact I had 6 years worth of work linked with them, I would have flicked them.

Globally, there are many, many unhappy people. No one will pay their ransom and accounts will be deleted. That will do their advertising revenue the world of good. They stand to lose out bigtime I reckon.

So ATM, all I can do is sit on the fence in the hope common sense prevails. If it doesn't, then I have a great deal of work to do  >:D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
Quote from: sharkcaver
If it doesn't, then I have a great deal of work to do  >:D
why? its only a social 'blog'.. not really critical info..  theres going to be millions of people who wont and many 100's of DYI pages going to god. there was one I found earlier with in his words, around 10,000 photos (apparently) on photobucket in 2 or 3 different accounts that was from a car site that said '**** it'...
Then again using a simple editor should be able to do a find and replace on the code to the new URL

.. sadly you know its only a matter of time before the other hosts want their cash too.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:29 PM »
why....because I want to keep my blog and forum posts. It certainly isn't critical, but I like putting it out there and others like reading it.

.. sadly you know its only a matter of time before the other hosts want their cash too.

I agree and that's why I need to do some more research if I want to keep my stuff running.

But for the time being, I'm just giving you all a heads up on what is happening.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 10:10:31 PM »
shouldn't they still all be on PB?? Are they deleting peoples accounts without telling them???
I jumped on the lap top and spent about an hour looking every where on PB.
I had no luck at all...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »

Why do they steal download from us by filling it with adverts?  (Unrequested content)

Because there's no such thing as a free lunch and now presumably they believe they have the model to attract enough paying customers and cut off or cut back the ads that are annoying people referred there. Hosting servers and keeping the bad guys out isn't costless and sooner or later investors have to get a return.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »
Because there's no such thing as a free lunch and now presumably they believe they have the model to attract enough paying customers and cut off or cut back the ads that are annoying people referred there. Hosting servers and keeping the bad guys out isn't costless and sooner or later investors have to get a return.
So double dipping in other words.
Being paid by the add people to carry the adds, then being paid again by the subscribers for the adds as they're downloaded.
To me that's double dipping. 
Because I believe I'm paying for content, not adverts.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 12:32:45 AM »
No looks like they're going ad free with their plans unless that's just for the paid versions- http://photobucket.com/pricing
They still have a free taster option to get you onboard. Whether they choose a mix of ads and pay is up to them but I suspect the ad money is drying up except for the likes of the big players like Google, Facebook, Amazon... and they have to change their revenue stream because of them. It's a fast moving tech market so don't get used to any particular offering without a Plan B when change occurs.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline feckinirish

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
Google photos. Free to use with unlimited storage if you don't back up your photos at full res. I've never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Online austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
Google photos. Free to use with unlimited storage if you don't back up your photos at full res. I've never had an issue.

Hi,
     But now they have stopped the linking ability.
No longer can I right click an image and choose to copy the image address.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »

But how do you link them so they show up on a web/forum page all I get it the actual link that you have to click on that then takes you to the photo in google
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"