Author Topic: End of road for Y61 Patrol  (Read 21919 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
End of road for Y61 Patrol
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »
The legendary Y61 Nissan Patrol will no longer sold in Australia within 18 months, leaving the way clear for a new NP300 Navara ute-based wagon to replace it and become the company’s new seven-seat, turbo-diesel, heavy-duty SUV option.

The timing of Y61’s demise by the end of 2016, which means it will have had an incredible 18-year run, was confirmed to motoring.com.au by Nissan Australia managing director Richard Emery.

Both the wagon and the cab-chassis versions of the Y61 are set to disappear, leaving the larger and more luxurious Y62 Patrol that has been on sale here since early 2013, but only with a V8 petrol engine.

“We will lose both the older shape Patrol Y61s sometime in the next 18 months and there is no replacement,” confirmed Emery.

The Navara-based off-road wagon is yet to be officially confirmed by Nissan, but is spoken of matter-of-factly by Emery. He has previously made it clear it was under serious consideration for Australia, but stresses the spiritual successor to the original Pathfinder would only come here if the business case stacked up.

Emery said fitting it into an already crowded line-up of SUVs would be an issue, specifically its impact on the seven-seat Pathfinder crossover. However, there is some differentiation as the Pathfinder is a light-duty off-roader and is offered only with petrol engines, although one of those is a fuel-saving petrol-electric option.

“Having a diesel-based seven-seat tow vehicle – which is where Y61 has been really successful for us – means it (the Navara-based
wagon) would give us an opportunity to retain those traditional Y61 buyers in the brand," he said.

“But then a bunch of those people would buy a Pathfinder anyway,” he cautioned. “They will choose between the two cars, so you will have some substitution. Then you have to decide how many more cars you are going to sell by introducing that car when we already have a wide range.

“It’s not that I am against it, but it’s going to be a robust business decision, not just ‘**** that looks good let’s have it’.”
Using a ladder-frame chassis borrowed from the Navara, the wagon would line up technically as a direct competitor for the forthcoming Ford Ranger-based Everest, Toyota HiLux-based Fortuner and Mitsubishi Triton-based third generation Challenger and several body-on-frame wagons already sold here including Holden’s Colorado ute-based Colorado7 and the Isuzu D-MAX-based MU-X.

Emery said the fact ute-based SUVs don’t generally sell well in Australia doesn’t help the Navara-based wagon's cause Down Under, but no doubt he will be watching how well Toyota goes with the Fortuner, which is to be pitched as an alternate for Kluger buyers who want a diesel engine.

“In the context of adding another model to an already busy SUV line-up it [the NP300-based wagon] would have to offer something unique and exceptional to bring it to market,” he said.

“If you look at that segment, something like the Colorado7 doesn’t sell a lot of volume. Challenger never really did a lot of volume.
“So for us it would have to be priced right, specced right and give us significant incremental opportunity for us to do it.”
Priced from $39,950, the Y61 went on sale in Australia in May 1998 – when it was then known as the GU – with a choice of 2.8-litre turbo-diesel and 4.5-litre petrol six-cylinder inline push-rod engines.

While touted as all-new, the GU actually carried over the basic drivetrains, live axles front and rear and coil spring suspension from its predecessor, the GQ (Y60), which launched in 1988.

But Patrol history can be traced all the way back to 1951 when the original 4W60 first appeared. Through the generations it came to dominate the large heavy-duty SUV segment along with the Toyota LandCruiser.

Nowadays sales of the current Y61 Patrol, which is offered as a 3.0-litre turbo-diesel in DX or ST specification, are just a fraction of what they once were.
by Bruce Newton 24th August 2015
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline green troll

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: End of road for Y61 Patrol
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:47:06 AM »
Kinda makes me sad.
Even if they bought a better diesel out in the gu i think they would really need to  step it up, mostly the interior. Better auto aswell and more power and economy wouldnt go astray, but i think the fundementals are all correct. I was just faced with what to upgrade to from my weapon of a gq, and to me a nw pajero made sense. I know its a bit softer in 4x4 pedigree but with a family now its more about safety and comfort.
Btw pick up the paj next week.... yay
Long live the troll.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:51:47 AM by green troll »
Using Tapatalk

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:04:05 AM »
When time permits I want to find a nice unmolested 4.8 auto to turn into my weekend toy.

Until then the new version suits my family and towing needs much better than the old truck.

PS: I owned a nice 4.8 previously but my wife didnt like driving it so it had to go :( :(
Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:38:12 PM »
How long before the petrol goes too? It's sad when they could have done much better with a bigger Diesel engine. I'll just leave this here.

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »
It's the end of an era for tough 4x4s.
Not at all refined by today's standards but I'll bet there are more old patrols on the road than equivalent aged "modern 4x4s" in the future. Say 10 - 15 years.
I feel confident when I'm out in my patrol, that I can push it hard and not break the thing. I can't say the same for most other 4x4 wagons and Utes.
A bit of suspension work and a few easy engine mods get them handling and performing actaully surprising well, but allow say $1500 for suspension and $3000 on engine mods and they go pretty good. But, we shouldn't have to do that, What really was needed was a bigger, more powerful engine.
Anyway, I'm keeping my Y61, wouldn't drive anything else at the moment. And who knows, with their demise they could be worth more or at least retain value.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
It's the end of an era for tough 4x4s.
Not at all refined by today's standards but I'll bet there are more old patrols on the road than equivalent aged "modern 4x4s" in the future. Say 10 - 15 years.
I feel confident when I'm out in my patrol, that I can push it hard and not break the thing. I can't say the same for most other 4x4 wagons and Utes.
A bit of suspension work and a few easy engine mods get them handling and performing actaully surprising well, but allow say $1500 for suspension and $3000 on engine mods and they go pretty good. But, we shouldn't have to do that, What really was needed was a bigger, more powerful engine.
Anyway, I'm keeping my Y61, wouldn't drive anything else at the moment. And who knows, with their demise they could be worth more or at least retain value.

I agree. And the hard choice is whether to get the last of the old school 4wds now, or wait and see which of the new breed will become the replacement for those interested in getting out rather than school runs or shopping centre car parks

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
The majority of 4x4 drivers don't do any real hard 4x4 driving. I'd go as far to say that many 4x4 owners never do and aren't interested in any actual 4wding. A run up the beach here and there and a muddy footy oval is probably as far offroad as they'll go.
The days of buying a 4x4 because you need it are over. Now just about everyone has one. And they're more of a comfortable passenger vehicle.
In saying that some of the new high tech 4wds are unbelievably good offroad but also many are marketed as that and come nowhere near the mark.
That's what the Y61 did so well, it was more oriented for offroad but adapted to onroad not the other way round.
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Oldandslow

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 10:40:44 PM »
I had a 2003 model 3lt turbo diesel Patrol for 7 years and put 160k on it without one problem, absolutely loved the car. We now have a new Isuzu MUX and it does everything better than the Patrol. It is  more powerful, more economical, better suspension, better on the highway, better in the bush, steers better, stops better, is finished better and all reports say the motor will last just about forever. I think Nissan is doing the right thing in retiring it off, it has earned a rest.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:14:40 AM »
Quote from: Oldandslow
I had a 2003 model 3lt turbo diesel Patrol for 7 years and put 160k on it without one problem, absolutely loved the car. We now have a new Isuzu MUX and it does everything better than the Patrol. It is  more powerful, more economical, better suspension, better on the highway, better in the bush
MUX is better than a Patrol in the bush...  ??? Funniest Shit I ever read!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 08:16:59 AM »
I had a 2003 model 3lt turbo diesel Patrol for 7 years and put 160k on it without one problem, absolutely loved the car. We now have a new Isuzu MUX and it does everything better than the Patrol. It is  more powerful, more economical, better suspension, better on the highway, better in the bush, steers better, stops better, is finished better and all reports say the motor will last just about forever. I think Nissan is doing the right thing in retiring it off, it has earned a rest.

Well, it was a 3lt...... ::)
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »

;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »
Not into the whole Nissan toyota thing but did a trip across the simpson recently. My landcruiser a ranger a Colorado and a few others. Met a couple in a 3 litre patrol that was about four years old who tagged along. It spent most of its time in low when everyone else was in high. It struggled or didn't make it up several dunes (ran out of puff). I couldn't believe how poor it was. Nissan did themselves no favours putting that motor in the patrol.
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »
The V8 land cruiser is ceasing sales in the UK due to poor sales. The Patrol, Defender and now the Landcruiser, is this the end of times ? :)

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/seven-cars-britain-turned-its-nose#1

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 09:23:33 AM »
I did a 4wd course at work we had a 3lt patrol (the dx badge) and a brand new v8 troopy.
The patrol had lockers and I was pretty impressed with how it went compared to the troopy
Only thing was it must of been built for midgets because it was uncomfortable for us tall blokes
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline jkwpajero

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 09:24:39 AM »
The V8 land cruiser is ceasing sales in the UK due to poor sales. The Patrol, Defender and now the Landcruiser, is this the end of times ? :)

That's just the Poms for you. They don't like a lot of things over there. Some of the cars on the list have done well in Australia. However I wonder what the sales ratio is for LC200 petrol to diesel here in Oz.

:cheers:
James

Growing older but not growing up.

2014 Pajero VR-X
2014 Jayco Starcraft Outback

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 09:39:48 AM »
Not sure our market rates on the global scale of things. The new Landcruiser isn't being released in Europe according to Autocar.

Offline AJ

• Tent User
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »
Sad but without a new engine it was overdue to disappear.
18 years is a bloody good run.

A wake would be a good thing Bruce.
Andrew - Whyalla SA
Nissan Patrol-Lifted,locked and loaded
Toyota Landcruiser-Stock as a rock
Soft floor camper & Windsor Rapid caravan
My Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
Sad but without a new engine it was overdue to disappear.
18 years is a bloody good run.

A wake would be a good thing Bruce.
who asked u :P
went and visited the Golf loving freak the other day.. hes now an Audi loving freak... :o
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »

No market really for it.  They don't tow the big vans and boats as much, nearly every road is bitumen, Petrol is around $2.44 a litre and it gets hammered by the vehicle tax.  Same applies for the patrol.

They pay different car taxes based on the emissions and fuel type. The V8 cruiser is in Tax Band L - the second highest at 490GBP Per year. That $1057 per year in tax just to drive it on top of fuel costs, rego (MOT) etc. Compare that to the D4D prado - $625 a year.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 12:40:54 PM »

I think he missed a few words like "graded tracks".
And that is my point exactly, for the majority of 4 Wheel drivers, Driving a  medium/soft roader is adequate for their type of driving, And does it better than a Y61 patrol. Put it up hard tracks constantly and the thing will be broken before the day is out and same goes for most of that class of vehicle. They're more designed as a passenger or tow vehicle with a 4wd drivetrain for rougher roads than sealed.

The fact the GU did last 18 years, is testament to the fact that it does serve a market and serves it well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:44:24 PM by Jakster1 »
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »
I think he missed a few words like "graded tracks".

I dont think he did at all. I think he is a past Patrol owner (albeit a 3.0ltr) who now has the opinion that his MUX is better in the bush that his Patrol was. At least he is genuinely able to compare the two ;)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »
I dont think he did at all. I think he is a past Patrol owner (albeit a 3.0ltr) who now has the opinion that his MUX is better in the bush that his Patrol was. At least he is genuinely able to compare the two ;)
please bring it along to Rocky track
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 01:17:02 PM »
please bring it along to Rocky track

lol It would eat that track up easily mate, just like the old GQ would. What makes you think it wouldn't? Clearance?

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 01:18:44 PM »
Quote from: DannyG
lol It would eat that track up easily mate, just like the old GQ would. What makes you think it wouldn't? Clearance?

Please, bring it along.... ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 01:23:37 PM »
Please, bring it along.... ;D

No worries but wouldn't want to scratch it, its too pretty :) Even though an MUX has 20mm more clearance stock than a stock y61 ;)

Im not gunna get into a my 4wd is better than yours debate, Im a Patrol fan as you know. But dont under estimate the new Isuzu range mate....its like eating sushi, you need to broaden your horizons ;D

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build