Author Topic: Outback Swan  (Read 21628 times)

Offline Dice

• Swag User
Outback Swan
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »

Of to the dealer on the weekend for the wife to pick the fabric colours for the new camper and to sign all the paperwork so no turning back now just wanted an opinion on thev options:We have

carefree awning
         wind up antenna
         2nd gas bottle
         Aux battery
         external shower
         HWS
         Control panel (water and battery monitor)
         extra water tank
         Bagged bed flys
         12 v water pump
         extend drawbar
         CD/Radio
         150watt solar
         Water tap on drawbar
         extra power sockets in van
         Possibly the slide out BBQ (bit pricey at $600 though)

Is there anything else that you would fit that we may have forgotten that is better done at factory or the dealer.We are planning a 4mth trip through QLD and NT mid  year and would like it all geared up for that.

Cheers Dice :cheers:
2013 BT50 GT Auto, 2013 Jayco Swan Outback

crackacoldie

Re: Outback Swan
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »
I would have someone price up for aftermarket solar.  The Jayco is not bad, but there is alot beter on the market for similar coin.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
Hi you will love your Swan.  In WA the Jayco's are spec'd a bit differently as standard to most other places, so an offroad hitch is standard here on outbacks as is the boat rack and bed end flys etc.  The offroad hitch ( ours is the Trigg ) would be high on the wish list if not standard.  Also ours is equipped with pretty much all of the options you listed plus a few, but over here it is ordered as one package rather than a whole list.  It's called the Alpha pack, but I'm not sure if it's refered to that everywhere or if it's available like that anymore. We also got the aircon, which I wasn't bothered with at first, but for stays in caravan parks in the warmer months it is brilliant, just very pricey.  Good luck with your purchase.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:44:35 PM by Topender »
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »
Mate, I'd give the slide out bbq a miss. Better options that are portable for less $$$.

Cheers
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
I agree with swannie mate..... give the bbq a miss, buy a weber... i found that i had to extend the external tap on the drawbar further to the front because of being under the bed end.. pain in the ...... especially when I am over 6foot....

Offline JU5T1N

• Soft Floor Camper User
Outback Swan
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »
I also agree with Swannie, forget the BBQ just get a WeberQ.
Get them to put a gas bayonet for your BBQing (mine is behind wheel so under awning)
Aircon is awesome
If your heading out in cold diesel heating is also good.
An smaller awning over the other side to block the sun.
Independent suspension if your budget allows.
The cd/DVD/radio with external marine speakers and internal speakers of corse.(get them to have a wall plug to suite the DVD play)
Ok list can keep going ????

Nissan whore:
Nissan Patrol GUramax (Stripped by ADC)
Nissan Skyline R33 GTR V-spec 480awkw
Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-spec 830awkw (NOW SOLD)

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:02:15 AM »
Shelves to robe is also a good one, makes for a lot more usable space. Also make sure you get your payload upped. By the time your fill both water tanks there won't be much left :cheers:
BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

nbd73

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:40:47 AM »
Don't own a Jayco, but always wondered why so many people option a sound system into their CT. Has anyone actually heard what comes out of the Bose portable/rechargeable sound docks? They cost around $600, can be recharged from car or CT with inverter and can be used anywhere. I suppose you need an iPod or iPhone but most families have at least one of these.
And something else I saw recently was a gas instant hot water heater similar to what you get at home, rather than a storage system. Might be worth seeing if Jayco have seen them and whether it can be optioned, and if not how much $ to add after purchase.
Otherwise the options look sound. Multiple replies said forget the slide out BBQ, agree and main reason for us is we use external walls on awning and would defeat purpose of BBQ outside if used in enclosed area. Also, don't ever be tempted by drop down table. Rip off and so easy to DIY later on.
Enjoy, great style of CT for extended stays in 1 spot and cannot be beaten for families with young kids.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:42:19 AM by nbd73 »

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:17:47 AM »
Don't own a Jayco, but always wondered why so many people option a sound system into their CT. Has anyone actually heard what comes out of the Bose portable/rechargeable sound docks? They cost around $600, can be recharged from car or CT with inverter and can be used anywhere. I suppose you need an iPod or iPhone but most families have at least one of these.
And something else I saw recently was a gas instant hot water heater similar to what you get at home, rather than a storage system. Might be worth seeing if Jayco have seen them and whether it can be optioned, and if not how much $ to add after purchase.
Otherwise the options look sound. Multiple replies said forget the slide out BBQ, agree and main reason for us is we use external walls on awning and would defeat purpose of BBQ outside if used in enclosed area. Also, don't ever be tempted by drop down table. Rip off and so easy to DIY later on.
Enjoy, great style of CT for extended stays in 1 spot and cannot be beaten for families with young kids.

I also agree with the stereo, I bought and used a Phillips wireless sound dock with ipad ($250.00) and found it awesome, small so packs in the small cupboard under wardrobe, can use different iPhone/ipad etc, charges in our hour and you can carry it to the campfire.

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline JohngQld447

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:00:18 AM »
Hi Dice,
     Have a good think about how you intend to use your camper and more importantly how you want the fridge to work. If you are mainly staying where you'll have access to 240v and recharge available by your solar, then a Waeco compressor fridge might be the go. If you are mainly staying in places where for long periods of time and 240 is not an option, then to be able to use it on gas is the main consideration. You will find the 3 way will require to be on overnight to get it down to temperature initially, and they suffer a bit more when they are opened. Regardless of what the brochure says, my Thretford 3 way is pulling 12.5 amps on DC and this is continuous. A Waeco CR 1110 will cool down in an hour or two and will cope  better with the door being opened repeatedly. From what's been written elsewhere, they pull about 5 to 6 amps, but they cycle in out. It really is a horses for courses type of choice. I wish I had of come here before ordering my Hawk as I know I would have gone with the Waeco. Unfortunately the dealer didn't go in to it neither, so I was none the wiser. From what I have read elsewhere, there is about $150 difference between the two. I'm sure those who have ordered theirs with the Waeco are more than happy with thier choice.

John
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Diesel
2012 Jayco Hawk Kakadu Annexe

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
Outback Swan
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 07:10:37 AM »
I did not realise that the waeco fridge was only 150 more. Anyone had quoted to option the waeco.

I suppose it also makes solar panels a must.
2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan

nbd73

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »
This theme of dealers not advising of all the available options seems to be getting quite common judging by comments on here. It certainly bit me badly. On the fridge side of things there have been quite a few threads recently on the topic so maybe have a read of some of them before deciding on the compressor. If you do I would be inclined to add as much solar as you can, even if its a combination of roof mounted and portable, and even 3 x 120ah batteries is better than 2. From reading on here the theory is the level of discharge spread across 3 batteries rather than 2 will help maximise their life span. These aspects are where the hidden cost of adding the compressor fridge come in, not to mention the cabling etc (+ labour if you can't DIY) 

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
Outback Swan
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »
I think the arsenal of batteries and panels will push me out of getting the waeco.

nbd73

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 07:52:24 AM »
You don't HAVE to go that far, depends how you are travelling. If ALL of your use is for everyday travel where the alternator can recharge your CT battery(s) and you have a maximum of say 2 nights in the one spot you could get away with less, but this limits you to this only. For extended stays in the one spot the more power the better, especially if our wonderfully unpredictable weather turns grey.

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
Dice - I reckon that is a pretty comprehensive list of options. I agree the the slide out BBQ can be a miss. Would add the shelves in the wardrobe.

I don't plan to get the waeco fridge cause I will either be doing 2-3 day weekends or week or so trips. I live in Canberra and spend a bit of holidays on NSW coast, so not really hot and 3 ways do ok in this environment. 

However, if I was planning a long trip up North in the near future, and if I was already getting an extra battery + 150 solar, then I reckon the Waeco fridge might be a good option.

Where are you getting the extra power points?

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 08:15:33 AM »
i found that i had to extend the external tap on the drawbar further to the front because of being under the bed end..

I don't suppose you could post a picture of where you moved the tap too. I have ordered a tap on drawbar and would like it to be in a practical position.

Offline mcbadger2

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
Definately go for the gas bayonet and the shelf option.

I would ask to get upgraded on the bed flies. The standard Jayco Flies are pretty rubish. The Flies are OK, but the bags they are stored in leak like a siev, real great if your in a humid climate with mould build up. I got the originals and then chnaged them to Kakadu's. Extra expense but do it at the time of order to save $'s.

Mark
mcbadger

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »
Definately go for the gas bayonet ..

Happily, the gas bayonet is now standard on the 2013 Outback swan.

Offline Dice

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »

Thanks for the replies,was going to upgrade the fridge but I run 2 engels in the car one small one as drinks ,snacks fridge and a 45ltr as a freezer on extended trips.Will also be purchasing a portable solar panel for topping up batteries was told the fridge upgrade was nearer $800.The bed end flies will not be Jayco the dealer have their own canvas shop so make them.Was leaning more to not getting BBQ you just made my mind up.Will do the shelves thing myself have ,asked for payload upgrade when first placed order have still not heard back from Jayco as to whether or not it can be done.
    Brindi I have put 2 gig plugs up near were the kids will sleep and 1 down the other end near the bed.

Cheers Dice

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
Outback Swan
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
How much did they charge for the bed ends? I hads feeling that the fridge was an expensive upgrade. That idea is dead for me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:35:01 PM by BrindiCruiser »

Offline Dice

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »
]

How much did they charge for the bed ends? I hads feeling that the fridge was an expensive upgrade. That idea is dead for me.

Think it was about $550  but I had them thrown in as part of the deal in the end they are a much tighter knit mesh on them and thicker as well ,my quote was for 32900 with extras and I paid just under 29000.I did get a cheaper quote but not by enough to travel the extra to pick it up retail was $26600 for basic O/B swan
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:29:55 PM by Dice »

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
If it was me
I would loose the TV antenna 5 months in ours and all we do on a rainy days it watch movies on the lap top you can also stream most Tv shows these days

Loose the second gas bottle i cannot get everyones obsession with Gas a 9kg bottle last us 5 weeks when living in it full time.

Loose the roll out BBQ as others have said go the webber Q if i do go another goldstream i will get them to custom make the BBQ area bigger to fit the Baby Q in

If you do go an offroad hitch i would suggest a hyland over a treg as they are easier to line up and you can keep the ball for other duties

If you are going to live in it for an extended time get them to put some sail track on the offisde and get a sunbuster shade or similar these are great.

If you have paid for the bag awning and they have upgraded it for you ask if they can mount the bag on the other side it makes a good carport

I Drink & I Know Things

nbd73

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
Loose the second gas bottle i cannot get everyones obsession with Gas a 9kg bottle last us 5 weeks when living in it full time.

If you do go an offroad hitch i would suggest a hyland over a treg as they are easier to line up and you can keep the ball for other duties

1. The obsession with extra gas bottle is to do with the gas HWS option: if left on all the time (that's the point of hot water on demand isn't it?) the gas does get used, but more so that you never have to worry about running out or refilling partially empty gas bottles. They needn't be 9kg, 4.5kg x 2 would be sufficient.
2. The main drawback to hyland hitches is that as the ball wears they become noisy and clunky. Our dealer offered us the DO35 and would have this even if I never went off road.

Some different perspectives, not disagreements.

Offline Dice

• Swag User
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »
If it was me
I would loose the TV antenna 5 months in ours and all we do on a rainy days it watch movies on the lap top you can also stream most Tv shows these days

Loose the roll out BBQ as others have said go the webber Q if i do go another goldstream i will get them to custom make the BBQ area bigger to fit the Baby Q in

If you are going to live in it for an extended time get them to put some sail track on the offisde and get a sunbuster shade or similar these are great.

If you have paid for the bag awning and they have upgraded it for you ask if they can mount the bag on the other side it makes a good carport

Gday,
             Dont own a laptop,dont have the need for one (I struggle enough with desktop) and its more for the footy season,I run Labradors in retrieving trials and when the state and nationals are on so are the footy finals.
I have a hyland hitch here I had given to me which saved me $400,the sunbuster was something I was going to attempt myself. The Albury-Wodonga caravan show is on in a couple of weeks will head up there and have a look and see if I can spend some more money on stuff.
        Will probably only carry one bottle most of the time but when on our trip I would like a second.
                    Cheers Dice

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
Ahh i forgot about the HWS we just boil the kettle, and we usually only go remote in the warmer months so i rigged up a short hose with spay gun for a quick rinse off the drawbar tap for showering as there is usally enough swimming involved on a daily basis

I have not tried a D035 my main gripe with the treg hitch was that you had to have it all lined up perfectly to get the damn pin in where i find the highland is a bit more forgiving and a quick shove while winding down will usually get it to seat on the ball if you get it slightly wrong when lining up
I Drink & I Know Things