Author Topic: To discipline or not [read smack]  (Read 21152 times)

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: To discipline or not [read smack]
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2013, 06:08:26 AM »
Sadly this little boy is destined for a life as a serial killer.  It's true.  All serial killers abused animals when they were young. 

You have just earned yourself pride of place on my ignore list for that inappropriate comment.  >:(
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »
You have just earned yourself pride of place on my ignore list for that inappropriate comment.  >:(

::)
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2013, 06:41:39 AM »
As for BD girls they are great except when they  sing one direction.

That on its own requires swift action ... if allowed to continue unabated it could result in an irreversible case of bad taste ... best to wash mouth(s) out with soap and get them to listen to music ... act swiftly time is of the essence.

Offline JU5T1N

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2013, 06:54:24 AM »
As for BD girls they are great except when they  sing one direction. !

Swannie
C'mon now, the girls can't be held responsible for that...
with BD constantly playing 1D on his itunes be it in house, camper or car the poor girls have been withdrawn from normal music...
given a choice the girls really want Powderfinger, Foo Fighters, Greenday, etc....not 1D like their dad subjects them to ;D

Nissan whore:
Nissan Patrol GUramax (Stripped by ADC)
Nissan Skyline R33 GTR V-spec 480awkw
Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-spec 830awkw (NOW SOLD)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2013, 07:17:36 AM »
Geez,
I'm lost for words.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2013, 07:55:28 AM »
The funny thing about parenting is non of them come with a user manual, every single one of them are different and as such respond to discipline in different ways. We as parents generally are trying our best to do the best we can in raising these little sound machines. Some parents get lucky and have a child/children that are pretty easy and others not so who get the devil. I have one of each and can say, the devil child does take a lot of work and continually pushes boundaries. Parenting is about teaching/guiding a child through life to make the right choices and at the end of the day, as a parent you can only hope that your children follow this guidance. It's far from an easy gig and very challenging at times but it is our responsibility as a parent to prepare them as well as possible for the big bad outside world. This means saying, NO and teaching them consequence to poorly chosen actions. A parent cannot be there 100% of the time and does rely to some degree on the wider community when needed to pull them into line if needed. This is our failing as a community. I have no problem with other adults pulling up my children if they do wrong.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:20:16 AM by Teabag »
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2013, 08:06:10 AM »
Well put mate  :cup:

When we've had arguments, conflicts of opinions with our kids, we will try to sit down with them and explain that we know it isn't easy being a kid at times, then we explain that it isn't easy being a parent at times either. Trying let them have an insight into what it is like to be us.
Whether this will work I have no idea, it's just our way of trying to deal with our growing children.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »
Discipline with a smack and constantly belting crap out of a kid are two different things. There needs to be a point where it may need to be escalated to a smack, after explaining, timeout, removing toys etc doesnt work.
Someone once told me kids are like puppies. Watch the mother, if the pup does something wrong the mum will give it a gentle nip on the ear so it knows what is wrong.
I got belted strap wooden spoon etc when i was a kid, didn't make me stop. Just made me smarter at not getting caught.... >:D
http://www.somuchviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/beer-holder.gif

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
The funny thing about parenting is non of them come with a user manual, every single one of them are different and as such respond to discipline in different ways. We as parents generally are trying our best to do the best we can in raising these little sound machines. Some parents get lucky and have a child/children that are pretty easy and others not so who get the devil. I have one of each and can say, the devil child does take a lot of work and continually pushes boundaries. Parenting is about teaching/guiding a child through life to make the right choices and at the end of the day, as a parent you can only hope that your children follow this guidance. It's far from an easy gig and very challenging at times but it is our responsibility as a parent to prepare them as well as possible for the big bad outside world. This means saying, NO and teaching them consequence to poorly chosen actions. A parent cannot be there 100% of the time and does rely to some degree on the wider community when needed to pull them into line if needed. This is our failing as a community. I have no problem pulling up my children if they do wrong.

amen to that.
And to add another factor, you may have a perfect child but once they become tired or over tired then no amount of reasoning or discipline will work.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2013, 09:22:19 AM »
The funny thing about parenting is non of them come with a user manual, every single one of them are different and as such respond to discipline in different ways. We as parents generally are trying our best to do the best we can in raising these little sound machines. Some parents get lucky and have a child/children that are pretty easy and others not so who get the devil. I have one of each and can say, the devil child does take a lot of work and continually pushes boundaries. Parenting is about teaching/guiding a child through life to make the right choices and at the end of the day, as a parent you can only hope that your children follow this guidance. It's far from an easy gig and very challenging at times but it is our responsibility as a parent to prepare them as well as possible for the big bad outside world. This means saying, NO and teaching them consequence to poorly chosen actions. A parent cannot be there 100% of the time and does rely to some degree on the wider community when needed to pull them into line if needed. This is our failing as a community. I have no problem with other adults pulling up my children if they do wrong.

Go on then......... ruin a perfectly stuffed up system with logic and sense.......
Seriously though I reckon, you're spot on. I try to raise my kids with the thought that the apple doesn't fall from the tree, always in the back of my mind.
Embrace it rather than seeing it as a challenge.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2013, 09:28:18 AM »

The worst thing I have found is the parents that do not carry through their threats - if you're gonna warn them "this will happen if you don't stop" then FFS make sure it happens if they don't stop!

X2 on above....hollow threats are a waste of time, be sure and follow through on what you say or don't bother saying it. learning your actions come with consequences is what lifes about.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »
With hindsight I'd say the Devil child is one who is constantly pushing the bounds and doesn't seem to want to go along with the crowd or the class rules, etc at the time. In the lad's case we'd always get shool reports like- J could be an A student if only he'd apply himself in class. Blow me down if he doesn't get glowing report cards in Yr7 and Yr12 only and later he confides with me that you only have to ace Yr7 and Yr12 report cards to get on dad, while school teacher mum rolls her eyes and shakes her head thinking about the poor teachers in between. Son's life view was the rest of the time was for cricket, footy, BMX jumping (including car and tram surfing with the mates), the beach and wave surfing, etc. We even get to go to Gummint House presentation and afternoon tea with the geeks when he gets a perfect 20 in Yr 12 for Cad and Graphics because he likes it and it's a breeze for him technically with little effort.

You need to be careful pre-judging them too as I did with J and pocket money. Give him money and it was down the shops like a flash and gone and he'd be borrowing off younger sister and you think he'll be exactly like your bil without a cracker to his name and maxed out credit cards. At 15 he gets a fast food job through a mate cooking out the back and next thing he's working nights and weekends whenever there's a spare slot and he's saving money for a car because I've already told him I won't be buying him one like other parents, especially while he's at school. Anyway you can't afford to run one at school son. Yeah, well he showed me cooking chook all hours and 2am starts with a mate preparing the local golf greens, while mum was always fretting about those school reports and wanting to leave school.

He's just bought his second unit to organise trades to do up and sell on and the bank falls over themselves to lend him any extra with over $200k in his kick while most of his peers get mum and dad to stump up deposits so they don't have to pay mortgage insurance. He's noticed that part alright, while he's been around the world a few times, owns everything outright and the brand new jetski is handy for catching the big waves and he doesn't want for much I can tell you. No shortage of young ladies wanting a slice of the wild child but the marine biologist is the first one to move in with him and I suspect she's working on the life project just fine now. Scheming with the missus how to knock the rough diamond into shape for life and it's often the wild ones that settle down for life. I have this strange feeling of deja vu for some inexplicable reason.

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.