Author Topic: Portable butane cookers withdrawn from sale in NSW  (Read 84388 times)

Offline vk2ss55

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Portable butane cookers withdrawn from sale in NSW
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
Now they're back with an upgraded model .

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2015, 07:11:32 PM »
Gas cannister apparently and it's blown those windows out-
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/dudley-park-man-seriously-burnt-in-house-explosion-on-young-st/story-fni6uo1m-1227552558069
Was it a butane cooker and a big pan eh? If it was that wouldn't have occurred with a safety can but we'll see.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Big Damo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I work only for the holidays
« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2015, 09:28:35 PM »
Gas cannister apparently and it's blown those windows out-
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/dudley-park-man-seriously-burnt-in-house-explosion-on-young-st/story-fni6uo1m-1227552558069
Was it a butane cooker and a big pan eh? If it was that wouldn't have occurred with a safety can but we'll see.

I think there is more to this than cooking on butane camp stove.
Me thinks they might have been cooking up somthin special ;) ;) nudge nudge

XR6 and Lifestyle Extenda Elite

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2015, 09:54:55 PM »

Yep. I reckon
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #204 on: October 02, 2015, 12:42:24 AM »
Hmmm... Dudley Park isn't the most salubrious of metro Adelaide addresses and there is that old couch on the verandah of the maisonette so we'll have to wait and see  :-\
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »
Went into BCF for other stuff and noticed a brand new display of the new gas cans.
I asked the bloke about the stoves and if the problem was with the stoves or the cans....he said "neither, it was dumb operators"
2018 Pajero NX GLS 3.2D auto, 2004 Kimberley Kamper Escape

Danna

« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2015, 11:02:30 PM »
Hey guys
it doesn't matter how much the re-called product cost, when there is a safety concern we should get our money back, including  money for cartridges we may still have.
Cheers Dana

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #207 on: October 06, 2015, 05:58:11 AM »
Yep, and that's where the technicality is!  They didn't actually do a product recall. If they had, everybody would have to return item to store of purchase for a refund, but, they just pulled the item off the shelves to stop and further sales until testing had been done. Then they just released a new and improved version, of the box that is.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with the canisters, never was, they have always been for sale, as they are used for other things also.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #208 on: October 06, 2015, 09:08:32 AM »
That's exactly right Oldmate, they were never banned, apart from a very limited number of models they were never recalled, and those recalled were not the full recall, cashback we would expect.  The whole situation was completely blown out of proportions by social media.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »
Bottom line is the safety cans remove all serious risk at negligible cost so that's when it makes sense to update the Regs making them mandatory instead of worrying about old cookers out there or whether dummies are using using them.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2015, 06:18:33 AM »
We finally got the new stoves in last week.
I put up about 20 single burner and 10 double burner.
They were all gone in about 4 hours.
I didnt even get a chance to see what the differance was inn  the new models.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2015, 10:27:18 AM »
Still trying to find one in the Liverpool (Sydney) area..

Saw them advertised by Supercheap, but they did not have any in stock...
Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
just returned from a 5 1/2 week journey to Airlie Beach and back.
took my old stoves (2) plus about 8 cans. After using 3 or 4 cans I bought a new stove in Port Augusta and some new cans. Bought another new stove in Big W (can't remember where) and the shelves were almost bare....the new ones are going off like hot cakes. Both old stoves were chucked in bins along the way. They were still working, but I like the new ones....seem to have a more positive control knob.
2018 Pajero NX GLS 3.2D auto, 2004 Kimberley Kamper Escape

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
looked at wobblehead (stepson)'s new setup, he got his from bcf. name brand - primus - have known the name for years - didn't see or feel a lot of difference between it and the old clunker

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #214 on: March 14, 2016, 06:24:27 PM »
Went into BCF for other stuff and noticed a brand new display of the new gas cans.
I asked the bloke about the stoves and if the problem was with the stoves or the cans....he said "neither, it was dumb operators"

I'd have to agree with him on that. Had one of these things now for FOUR years, only prob I have with them, is they FREEZE up in cold weather and gas cant pass thru and get to the burner.
Folks have suggested I sleep with the canister, which I did, got it nice and warm, but it still froze over after about 5 mins. Any suggestions ?????

Offline GQMacca

• Swag User
« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2016, 06:42:04 PM »
I'd have to agree with him on that. Had one of these things now for FOUR years, only prob I have with them, is they FREEZE up in cold weather and gas cant pass thru and get to the burner.
Folks have suggested I sleep with the canister, which I did, got it nice and warm, but it still froze over after about 5 mins. Any suggestions ?????

If I'm at altitude, or its cold, I'll rotate through three canisters - one in each pocket and one in the burner.  I also use the burner with the little flap open to hopefully get some radiant heat on the canister (where's my Darwin award?!?)  ;D

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #216 on: March 15, 2016, 08:01:08 AM »
I bought a new stove few years ago for day trips, it uses the bigger canister.. sadly they freeze up too :( and it wasn't even cold up around Thommo Dam 2 weeks ago.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2016, 08:31:37 AM »
didn't see or feel a lot of difference between it and the old clunker

Had a look at one in Ray's over the weekend - appears that the little flap that locks into the neck of the gas bottle is now a u-shape, rather than just a flat tongue as previous  ???

Could be the only change, as a bloke in the camping store did say a while back that the "fault" was that that flap is supposed to push upwards if the bottle expands, thus cutting the stove off, but some of these tongues were bending & letting it still run, leading to a fire / explosion.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #218 on: March 15, 2016, 08:48:02 AM »
I think the trivet on the new ones is a little higher too.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2016, 12:34:51 PM »
We were informed that they also do not get as hot...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2016, 06:11:48 PM »
I had a close look at my new improved model and the old doomsday Devi e and cam up with the following.
The little metal flap at the top is not the cutoff. It is not connected to anything and both stoves will work whether it is up or down when started and will not Shit it off if I lift it. Underneath there is a little metal tab. If the can is not lined up with the flap it is not lined up with the tab. If you push the lever and it is not lined up the tab fouls on the can and pushes it to the side causing gas to leak. The flap just assists with lining up the tab. I can't figure out the purpose of the tab except maybe there is a pick up inside the can and this orientates the can correctly.

In the attached photo the red strip IS to a safety device. If you operate the lever without a can you will see a tab come up at the end of the action. If you push this down it triggers the safety by pulling the can carrier away from the gas valve. But like a mouse trap. Above this is a cylinder. I assume that as pressure builds up a piston inside pushes on the tab and pulling the can away.

This on both my old and new models and maybe my spare double burner I lent to the mother in law.

I did notice my new double burner has QC stickers in each compartment. One lists 390-401 PSI and the other 411-430 PSI

I assume they now test each one and put a sticker for the range it activates.
I don't know if the old one had one in the past as it is several years old.
The trivet heights all look about the same above the burner. I have seen some brands where the surround it lower making the trivet appear higher.

2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2016, 09:04:19 AM »
I had a close look at my new improved model and the old doomsday Devi e and cam up with the following.
The little metal flap at the top is not the cutoff. It is not connected to anything and both stoves will work whether it is up or down when started and will not Shit it off if I lift it. Underneath there is a little metal tab. If the can is not lined up with the flap it is not lined up with the tab. If you push the lever and it is not lined up the tab fouls on the can and pushes it to the side causing gas to leak. The flap just assists with lining up the tab. I can't figure out the purpose of the tab except maybe there is a pick up inside the can and this orientates the can correctly.

Yes, the tab that aligns with the slot in the can is so that the L shaped pickup tube inside the can is pointing upwards, so that it feeds vapor, not liquid to the burner.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »
Ray's and the Supercheap group have a recall on these now.
They specify dual burner Butane canister stoves.

http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/bcf/files/user/recall_notice/Product_Safety_Recall_-_Stove.pdf
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2016, 09:17:36 PM »
The ACCC has now gotten into this!

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in...itemId/1084213

Update 24 March 2016

A new recall was issued today for a different problem affecting these models:

Product description:
PLU381985 Campmaster Dual Burner Butane Stove
PLU382590 Wildcountry Dual Burner Butane Stove

Identifying features:
Campmaster brand will have model No. CM2220RW or CM2220
Wildcountry brand will have model No. WC2220RW or WC2220
All affected brands will also carry AGA certification No 8221

In these models, certain components such as O-rings and control knobs have failed.

If the defect occurs, there is a risk of gas leaking and fire.

Supplier is AHM Ltd.

Update 13 may 2016

AHM Ltd—Twin Portable Butane Stove - 2 Burner Butane Stove

A new recall was issued today for a different problem affecting these models:

Campmaster CM2220, CM2220RW, CM2220SP

Festiva FT2220, FT2220RW, FT2220SP

Spinifex AN2220, AN2220RW, AN2220SP

Wild Country WC2220, WC2220RW

Oztrail OZ2220 or OZ2220RW

All affected models will also carry AGA certification No 8221.

Certain components, such as O-rings or seals, may be defective. The other defect may include misalignment of the gas cartridge.

What should consumers do?

Stop using the product immediately and return the stove to the place of purchase for a full refund.

Once returned to the place of purchase, consumers can register to receive notification regarding the purchase of a replacement cooker when available by sending an email to enquiries@ahm.co.nz or they can contact AHM Australia on 07 3208 1233.

Conclusion

You should NOT continue to use your portable butane stove. You should follow the recall instructions, as per the Product Safety Recall Notice advice from the manufacturer, as soon as it is issued.

The product manufacturers will be working on fixing the problems and new certified units should be available in the not too distant future.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline pajamajero

• Swag User
« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
I had one of these double units, fantastic, really liked it, BUT back to Wollies, no receipt, money back ($50) no problems.
I hope they bring out a new version double.
I 'accidently' forgot to put the BBQ plate in the box when returning product to Woolies. Oops

Paj

Vehicle: 2005 NP Auto DiD GLX 2015 Mazda BT50 Dual Cab
Camper: 2015 ABC Forward Fold Hard Floor 2015 Jayco 21.65.3 Silverline Outback