Author Topic: NSW - Drivers and Cyclists - New laws March 2016  (Read 81919 times)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: NSW - Drivers and Cyclists - New laws March 2016
« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2016, 08:18:36 PM »
Your old mate doesn't know his road rules:

ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 213

213 .         Riding in bicycle lane

Wherever a bicycle lane is provided as part of a carriageway, and is in a reasonable condition for use, a rider of a bicycle shall use that portion of a carriageway and no other.

Modified penalty: 1 PU

He is aware of the rules but the cycle way in question  was not a bike carriageway on the left of the road but rather a seperate concrete cycle path some 8 ft to the side of the road with a seperate grass verge separating the road from the cycle path.

Offline TheWall

• Tent User
« Reply #326 on: February 10, 2016, 08:25:42 PM »
There are a couple of ummm...bike ways near me that I would never trust my bike on. Poorly maintained with lots of crap dropped by pedestrians...seriously how hard is it to find a bin!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...ha ha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #327 on: February 10, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »
 >:D >:D >:D >:D   >:D >:D >:D >:D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #328 on: February 10, 2016, 08:30:26 PM »
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »
I'm not familiar with that road, and can only comment on what I've seen on streetview. If you look at the description of a bicycle lane, you might find that the path you refer to is not a bike lane. It is separated, so not part of the carriageway. It appears to be a sharepath although a sharepath is able to be used by bicycles it is not a bike lane.

A concrete path like that is uncomfortable to ride on a road bike due to the construction joints, they create bumps so assuming the bike was a road bike the path is not in a reasonable condition compared to the road. I'd probably ride it on a mountain bike, but a road bike I'd have to assess before trying it.

Yes, it's getting picky, but that is what the law does.

Did that cyclist actually hold anyone up for a significant amount of time (minutes, not seconds)? Is the road windy and makes the cyclist difficult to see on approach? Is it that busy there is no option to pass safely? It certainly appears to be a seaside town

The road in question is a single lane in each direction, divided by a double unbroken line for the length of the rd , this would be due to the blind corners. The section we encountered the bike was on a blind bend, they cycle heading north and we  South,  The cars are attempting to pass safely  but due to the road he was holding up in excess of 10 cars . The bike way is concrete but it is intended for bikes , and maybe it was placed there to make the road safer for both cars and bikes. If I considered that the road was to bumpy in my car I am not allowed to drive on your smooth grass nature strip, I may adjust my driving style to suit the conditions.

Offline WCN_Bren

• Swag User
« Reply #330 on: February 10, 2016, 08:48:05 PM »
The road in question is a single lane in each direction, divided by a double unbroken line for the length of the rd , this would be due to the blind corners. The section we encountered the bike was on a blind bend, they cycle heading north and we  South,  The cars are attempting to pass safely  but due to the road he was holding up in excess of 10 cars . The bike way is concrete but it is intended for bikes , and maybe it was placed there to make the road safer for both cars and bikes. If I considered that the road was to bumpy in my car I am not allowed to drive on your smooth grass nature strip, I may adjust my driving style to suit the conditions.

Hmmmm sometimes i think people forget they are called ROAD bikes.
Seriously??? It's dangerous and illegal to drive on the nature strip. A road bike on the road... soooooooo unheard of... oh wait, it's legal too. And, you can't adjust your riding style on a road bike to absorb steel, glass and tools. It's nowhere near the same things.
It really doesn't matter does it- no matter how much things are explained and no matter how much evidence is put before some people they are just gonna hate cyclists and try to make up all sorts of crap to justify it. Even though that cyclist held people up you still got to your destination faster than if that cyclist and his MAMIL mates were driving cars.
LC200 2014 GXL + ??? Coming Soon

Offline WCN_Bren

• Swag User
« Reply #331 on: February 10, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »
He is aware of the rules but the cycle way in question  was not a bike carriageway on the left of the road but rather a seperate concrete cycle path some 8 ft to the side of the road with a seperate grass verge separating the road from the cycle path.

We get this near where i live. there is a shared running/walking/bike path 10-15 metres away from the road and diverts about 2 klm longer than the road and i constantly get yelled at "ride on the f'ing bike path - IT'S THE LAW!!!" argh. Even when there's no-one else on the road it still happens. yes, the bike lane referred to in the law is one that is part of the road. We have a few around here but the police have said they will never book anyone around here for not using them - a mountain bike's handlebars are wider than the cycleway. lol. cars park in them and even if they don't the mirrors stick out in to the lane. 
LC200 2014 GXL + ??? Coming Soon

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #332 on: February 10, 2016, 08:58:11 PM »
Hmmmm sometimes i think people forget they are called ROAD bikes.
Seriously??? It's dangerous and illegal to drive on the nature strip. A road bike on the road... soooooooo unheard of... oh wait, it's legal too. And, you can't adjust your riding style on a road bike to absorb steel, glass and tools. It's nowhere near the same things.
It really doesn't matter does it- no matter how much things are explained and no matter how much evidence is put before some people they are just gonna hate cyclists and try to make up all sorts of crap to justify it. Even though that cyclist held people up you still got to your destination faster than if that cyclist and his MAMIL mates were driving cars.

See!  ;D ;D
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #333 on: February 10, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »
Ahh well this thread has ground to a messy roundabout of polarised and narrow vision opinion. I thought I'd throw a great alternate solution in the mix but even then got confused with a troll. Well enough is enough. This thread has descended into a pissing match that is not in the spirit of this forum.
It is time to move on folks. Thread is locked.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:18:27 PM by Snow »
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD