Author Topic: Do you like this small caravan model?  (Read 14793 times)

allenpeng

Do you like this small caravan model?
« on: September 01, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »
Just want to make this model? Do you like it?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM by Brett »

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Do you like this small caravan model?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Hi,
   There is really not enough information given to make any meaningful comments I feel.

Perhaps more details about what you are planning/thinking about would help. And even if you are just hunting for ideas and perhaps just doing market research, I'm sure you will get responses from other users.

If you present your ideas so they can receive short answers, your chance of gleaning useful information will increase.

cheers

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
Maybe, more detail please

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 05:53:14 PM »
Yes mates thanks for your advices and there are 3 details I want to get camper guy's opinions-

1. Pop-top style: will people want to spend more money on this pop-top design or just keep flat top and save cost?
--> Pop top is good. Gives more space and light and wind (for hot weather).

2. Silde out kitchen set: do you like to move the kitchen to outside of the caravan so it can be cleaner inside and more space?
--> I much prefer the outside kitchen. Less smells. Less mess.

3. Gate position: as you can see the gate is at the rear of the caravan while some models have gate in the front? Is that important?
--> I think you mean door. The door at the back seems good.

4. Whole length: I need to control it no more than 6000mm because the shipping container is 6000mm or 12000mm. What length do
you prefer?
--> 6m seems good.

5. Colors: What colors do you prefer for the mainbody? Grey or beige or white or black? We made these four colors camper trailer.
And the drawbar is hot dipped gal - do you think we need paint the drawbar or just leave original gal silver?
--> White seems to be the most popular here.   Gal drawbar is ok.

Thanks mate! Cheers!
Anyone who helps can get discount buying campers from me! :cheers:

Answers are above.

More points.   Is the main body too close to the towing vehicle?  Can all tail gates on the tow vehicle still be opened?
Where is the gas bottle stored?

What kind of cost are looking at ?

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »
Hi,
1. Pop-top style: will people want to spend more money on this pop-top design or just keep flat top and save cost?
A: Pop-top gives height while stopped and less drag while towing. Different people will like either design.
Factors in the decision will be things like the owner's height, are over-head cupboards wanted or not, pop-tops are better for the warmer climates to the North of Australia, they loose a lot of heat in colder climates, owners storage/carport height - may be able to get a pop-top under cover, but not a full height van.
I think you should offer both versions.

2. Silde out kitchen set: do you like to move the kitchen to outside of the caravan so it can be cleaner inside and more space?
A: Yes! For most of the time. But can you squeeze a small burner in on a bench inside for making a hot drink on a cold morning or heating a meal when the weather is terrible.
My Innovan has this arrangement and I really like it.

3. Gate position: as you can see the gate is at the rear of the caravan while some models have gate in the front? Is that important?
A:What do you mean by 'gate'? Is that the Jerry can rack and spare tyre mount?
The position would be decided by the potential owner I would imagine. It depends on what is wanted where for how it will be used. Some users will want to carry very little out side, others will need to carry extra fuel and maybe even 2 spare wheels.

4. Whole length: I need to control it no more than 6000mm because the shipping container is 6000mm or 12000mm. What length do you prefer?
A:One size will not suit every body, personally 6m would suit my needs.

5. Colors: What colors do you prefer for the mainbody? Grey or beige or white or black? We made these four colors camper trailer.
A:I like the Aluminium checker plate on the lower part of the van, and I would choose white for the rest. Others may prefer another variation.

And the drawbar is hot dipped gal - do you think we need paint the drawbar or just leave original gal silver?
A:Painting components that low will only get stone chipped, the galvanised finish is fine.

cheers

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 06:02:06 PM »

1. Pop-top style: will people want to spend more money on this pop-top design or just keep flat top and save cost?Yes to pop top, I like the fact that what i'm towing is lower than my Tug.

2. Silde out kitchen set: do you like to move the kitchen to outside of the caravan so it can be cleaner inside and more space? Much prefer to cook outside

3. Gate position: as you can see the gate is at the rear of the caravan while some models have gate in the front? Is that important? If you mean the door I prefer the passenger side as you are off the road when you pull up, and you can also see is you have a Darwin moment and the door comes open in transit.

4. Whole length: I need to control it no more than 6000mm because the shipping container is 6000mm or 12000mm. What length do
you prefer? 6m + rear bar as this can be bolted on later

Thanks mate! Cheers!
[/quote]

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:03:22 AM »
Personally, i don't want to offend anyone here.. But seriously!!!!

For a manufacturer from China wanting to knock off a well built Australian made Camper, by posting onto this forum and literially putting pictures of the product they are about to "COPY" onto this web site and ask for feedback.

I like the next product from china like anyone... But seriously! Why would you post this?

Your question can be easily answered!  Firstly... You want to COPY their design. Well if you are thinking about it, then it must be worthwhile. Secondly i am NO longer going to post any of the suggested build tips onto this forum, if people in China are sitting there ready to knock off and copy any good idea that someone in Aussie can come up with.

I personally don't think we need threads like this on MySwag. Mods i think you should step in and remove this thread.!
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »
They cant make Aussies in China  but there seem no limit on what ever else  . China inports dont seem to stand up well , based on past porformance that is in Aussie conditions .  So once again its buyer beware  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Ricklanga

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

For a manufacturer from China wanting to knock off a well built Australian made Camper, by posting onto this forum and literially putting pictures of the product they are about to "COPY" onto this web site and ask for feedback.

I like the next product from china like anyone... But seriously! Why would you post this?

Your question can be easily answered!  Firstly... You want to COPY their design. Well if you are thinking about it, then it must be worthwhile. Secondly i am NO longer going to post any of the suggested build tips onto this forum, if people in China are sitting there ready to knock off and copy any good idea that someone in Aussie can come up with.

I personally don't think we need threads like this on MySwag. Mods i think you should step in and remove this thread.!

X2
2004 Pajero Exceed & 2012 Jayco Eagle Outback

It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
Thats a great photo of Dicky Beach..........wish you could actually camp there.

Marschy

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »

Yeah, like no-one in Australia ever copies other people designs. And pigs might fly.

Offline Woodsie

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Off the beaten track in this Great Country of Ours
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
i think the chinese can copy anything , but with big problems.......quality is never a 1st concern with them and we all end up blowing our hard earned dough. I personally stay clear of anything chinese.
Tony Woods 06 HZJ105 Turbo/IC
2012 Eureka Hard Floor Camper

Marschy

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
Honestly, look at the design being copied. It's a slab sided pop top fabricated with readily available materials. I ask you, what is so unique about it that hasn't already been done and copied in Australia by rival manufacturers over the last 20 years. Give him a go, if he can come into the market at a reasonable price, then maybe the Australian manufacturers may be prompted to sharpen their pencils.

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:26:11 PM »
I ask you, what is so unique about it that hasn't already been done and copied in Australia by rival manufacturers over the last 20 years.

Given that the product only came on the market about 4 years ago, no one was copying it 20 years ago, so it's fairly unique.

Mine's number 39 and I wouldn't consider a copy from China, China.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 05:41:06 AM »

Regretfully things get copied all the time by the Chinese. I cannot see any harm from what is being asked. You have the option to reply or not.

We know that the quality would not be there but I suppose at half the price people will be happy to buy one.

We may all whinge and complain but you will see more and more of this in the future. The Chinese products are here to stay and there is a market for the right product if someone advised them what quality they wanted.

I know we should all support Australian products but sometimes the bargains are made elsewhere.

The opportunities are there.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

bunyip

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 08:46:33 AM »
I agree Mark, reply or not.

At least he was honest enough to say he was manufacturing in China. Could have been sneaky about it.

Personally I prefer to buy Australian when it is available and the quality is better, just like I prefer to buy meat from a butcher rather than one of the big supermarkets, however the big supermarkets are open until midnight so sometimes it is more convenient for me.

Be careful what you wish for because it may actually happen. A world without competition could be a very expensive mistake.

Bunyip.

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »

What? like this: http://www.myswag.org/gallery/v/bigjules/Mallee+Tracks/?g2_page=2

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
What? like this: http://www.myswag.org/gallery/v/bigjules/Mallee+Tracks/?g2_page=2

HAHAHA ! ... whats good for one ... is good for the other !

A world without competition could be a very expensive mistake.

Is it just me or do other people find it strange that you can buy a 4x4 hilux with a motor / gearbox / diffs / computors for around $50k , but you have to pay $82k + for a caravan .
Good luck to the guy ... at least he had the balls to admit what he was doing and not slink around here looking for idea's .I hope he does well , it might give the big names something to think about when it comes to their pricing .

jderry ... quick ... you had better delete your build thread all together ...lol

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
I have looked into these vans as they are the next type we will buy- if we could find anything on the market to suit- but we are having to look at a 18" foot bushtracker as the only ready made alternative- around 1 tonne heavier than where I would like to be.

The "hybrid" market has one design feature missing at the moment and that is providing room for kids.

I have thought long and hard about this and my only option was to build my own (havn't got there yet or found anyone prepaired to build what I would like)- but I will give you some advice.

We have currently what is a "expanda van" the bed ends pop out- in our case both ends- this van also contains a internal shower/ toilet and inside cooking

total length for ours is 6.4m body length is 4.7m
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=5968.msg86524#msg86524
includes a florr plan of the van

Now I believe you could loose a little bit of length if you move the kitchen outside (not all of it still need a small sink and 2 burner stove)
the rear fold out bed end needs to be replaced with bunks- rear fold out by design sucks in dust, but keep the front fold out bed for more space.
Fridge unit could also be moved outside alowing for more benchspace inside

I don't like the pop top- prefer the matrix full van- has more storage space
need to narrow the van up like the quantum as well.

now for the fun stuff- suspension- these things are heavy around 2 tonne (both mine windsor Rapid  and the quantum) needs to be very well made.

below are some maximums I would be working off
needs approx 250kg water (has shower and toilet)
empty weight around 1600kg
ATM 2200kg
GTM 2000kg
ball weight 200kg
you want 6m length- ship without tow hitch will save 100mm
should give external body length 4.5m
max width external 2.0m

have fun :cheers:
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline hairymick

• Tent User
  • 2010 Nissan Navara D22, 2005 Kimberly Escape
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
G'day Allenpeng and welcome to the forum mate.

Persopnally, I think you are probably very correct in what you are attempting to do mate.

I further think that these hybrid or "crossover": type campers are he way of the future for many of us who are fast approaching the age were a true camper trailer is becoming too much to handle ie to heavy and difficult to pitch. Yet we don't feel old enough to regress to a bloody true caravan yet.

Nothing of this nature is available here that is anywhere like in the price range of the average bloke on average wages. I think this is why so many of us build our own. If you can offer a genuine crossover style camper at a more affordable price, then I say go for it.

To try to answer your questions though, here are my humble thoughts,

I would suggest adding a pop top as an option.

This would be a must have for me. :cup:

I would prefer the gate/door at the rear with the ISLAND BED at the front over the slide out kitchen.

you prefer?

I am looking at building something smlilar to your picture (for myself) I was thinking along the lines of a body length of about 3500mm with a drawbar length of 2500mm. This would provide space for a fridge/generator box and an adequate/big tool box in front on the drawbar..

And the drawbar is hot dipped gal - do you think we need paint the drawbar or just

I think you probably should look at offering a choice of colours. My preference would be for a military style drab olive or tan.

Good luck with your venture mate. I think you are on a winner provided you build a robust and functional trailer. Work out how strong you think it needs to be and then double that figure and you will be getting close.

Mick

Cheers,
Mick

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
Mate the best suggestion I can give you is to spend more time on quality control and keep things simple.
Even the highways in Australia are quite harsh so we want campers that we can take away and not worry about bits falling off.
A lot of people are also happy to add bits on later if they have a solid unit to start with.
Try and find one or two things to do that stand out from the crowd.
Good luck
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »

To suggest that Mallee Tracks are a rip off is completely wrong. There has been variations of the recovery track since WWII. it is like suggesting any side fold canvas camper is a copy of the very first one.

The issue that Justin has raised is the use of the photo of someone else's camper and the suggestion that this will be copied.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 08:44:01 PM »
The thing is anyone who buys the cheap imported version was probably never going to buy the local unit based on price anyway.
The world is shrinking and I believe aussie built will stand the test of time for premium buyers but if someone wants to tackle that end of the market then that should be okay.
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 05:32:54 AM »
What about looking at these style of vans http://www.conqueroraustralia.com.au/plugins/content/plugin_jw_sig/showthumb.php?img=490/b.web1.jpg&width=200&height=200&quality=80  and http://blondesearch.ru/play/QpauUSmtJmA/UEV_490_Conqueror_Australia_off_road_trailer.html

Everything you could ask for including somewhere for the kids to sleep .

Yes mates thanks for your advices and there are 3 details I want to get camper guy's opinions-

you prefer?

Thanks mate! Cheers!

bunyip

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 07:45:14 AM »
We were all set to buy a Conqueror then at one of the show LB stood beside the kitchen and realised it was so high that she would have trouble seeing what was cooking in the pots on the stove! OK, she may not be the tallest person around but is not THAT short :D.

Ended up turning us off and we are going to move to a KK now.