Author Topic: A bit disappointed  (Read 5540 times)

Offline shorties178

• Sleeping Bag User
A bit disappointed
« on: October 22, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »
Hi Campers,
I came home from a two week camping trip on the weekend a bit cheesed off with my Aquacube Logic hot water system. It has only had a couple of weeks @ 2 showers/night use prior to this trip & the thing started playing up in the last week, to the point where it became unusable. The issue was obviously a water flow restriction through the machine. Despite being out of warranty I rang my supplier to see if they could assist & they put me onto the claims department at Companion. After explaining the problem I was asked what water source I was using & I told the lady that I use clean river water from a 20 litre bucket. She said 'there's your problem.... the internal filter is blocked & it will have to be dismantled & cleaned by us. It clearly states in the user manual that water direct from rivers, lakes & the ocean should not be used.' And so it does...I checked. To Companions credit the lady did offer to do this service under warranty but I couldn't see the point as I'd have to get it done every time I went camping. Now I would think a fair percentage of buyers of this product would buy it because they, like the wife & I, like to go camping in remote or out of the way places where there are no facilities, so they can enjoy a hot shower. We take 85 litres of town water in the camper tank & a couple of jerry cans with us for drinking water & we'll get two weeks or more out of that. However, washing up & shower water comes from the river. It has to when you use about 15 - 20 litres/day for showers. If you have access to clean tap water then you probably also have access to an amenities block with showers, completely negating the need for one of these contraptions. My gripe is why the hell doesn't it state in big letters on the colourful carton that 'river water should not be used as source water for this heater', so the average punter can make a decision in the store as to it's suitability to task, & pass it by if there's no other option, instead of finding out halfway through his holidays on a remote camp! And if the thing has a filter why isn't it mounted externally & serviceable by said punter! The pump has a mesh screen & I assumed (wrongly) that that would be sized correctly to protect the innards. Not so apparently. The lady said algae is the culprit. If I can find & clean this internal filter (actually it'd be better to get rid of it completely) I'll use a stocking on the pump suction & maybe install an external inline filter ( fuel filter would be too fine I think).
Has anyone had similar issues? As I read on here some have had a great run from theirs & others have had issues. Do others, god forbid, use river water? Has anyone had one apart & can explain the best way to dismantle it?
Failing attempts to get this thing working satisfactorily I'll just bin it & try one of those imported systems off Ebay. They seem to produce positive comments on here, legal or not.
Mick

Offline whitedg

• Administrator
  • Swag User
Re: A bit disappointed
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:21:53 PM »
Try a car wash sponge cut in half and then use that around the inlet. I don't have a portable HWS but we use this on the fish tanks and it keeps the internals of the cartridge filter much cleaner. Much cheaper to replace the sponge than get it serviced all the time.

Cheers
Whitedg

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
A bit disappointed
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »
The only time ours plays up is when you adjust the shower head. Have you removed the water flow restricter from the head?

Only ever used river water. Can afford to waste good water on a shower.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:56:41 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »
Use a sand filter as your suction?

I just boil water on the cooker......way less issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline shorties178

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »
The only time ours plays up is when you adjust the shower head. Have you removed the water flow restricter from the head?

Only ever used river water. Can afford to waste good water on a shower.
Bullant,
I did think there was too much restriction in the head & when I tried to remove that restrictor the threaded fitting broke so I plumbed up my standby shower head, to no avail.
But anyway, after removing the shower head fitting the flow thru the unit was not enough to enable the burner to light, so the blockage is internal. I really would've thought most people would use river water.
Mick

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
A bit disappointed
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 06:26:06 PM »
Bullant,
I did think there was too much restriction in the head & when I tried to remove that restrictor the threaded fitting broke so I plumbed up my standby shower head, to no avail.
But anyway, after removing the shower head fitting the flow thru the unit was not enough to enable the burner to light, so the blockage is internal. I really would've thought most people would use river water.
Mick

I've even used Murray River water with no problem? Head office in Campbellfield sorted the problem with the head over the phone. They told me river water is ok?

Edited

They say you have to put the river water into a bucket etc and not into the river direct. But river water is ok.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:33:10 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline lyn4680

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »
We use a couple of pool filter socks for our river water.  Pour it through before we heat it on the fire. We only use the 12v shower to, but it seems to clean it pretty well.

Even when you think the waters pretty clean the socks end up filthy
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:25:24 PM by lyn4680 »

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:34:48 PM »
Try flushing water back the other way down the hose?
Does the pump turn on? Ie can you hear it but water doesn't suck through? Have had success removing briefly from water when on and dropping back in.

But yeah, river water is not preferable
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline shorties178

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
Mik,
If I disconnect the pump hose from the inlet fitting it fair belts the water out, so the problem is not the pump.
Mick

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 10:25:45 AM »
Just a thought, Had  trouble with water flow through a preasure washer, turned out while in storage a gecko decided to make the inlet connector his home for whatever reason ..DIDNT end well for said Gecko, but after the mess was cleaned out of the inline filter, the unit worked properly .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
Mik,
If I disconnect the pump hose from the inlet fitting it fair belts the water out, so the problem is not the pump.
Mick

yeah sorry I don't quite understand the problem then - so you are saying there is another filter internally within the box of the device?
I just spent 8 days at Fraser using their bore water without a problem - same at Bribie, and tank water at other campgrounds.  from memory there is a tag attached to the pump that says not to use river/ocean/lake?

anyway, you now have the issue.  as you have already mentioned, when cleaned out probably place a stocking or fine filter gauze over the pump in future with a rubber band or similar holder.
I would be interested to know where this filter is internally.

Offline shorties178

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »
Well I found the problem. It was algae in an internal strainer, just as the lady at Companion said. Standby for photo's & instructions but in the meantime make sure your source water is well filtered!
Mick

Offline shorties178

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
I did up some instructions in PDF on how to do the job. Hope it might help others. Please read the disclaimer at item 14 in the second PDF.
2 files due to size restrictions.
Mick

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 09:13:31 AM »
great write up mate!

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 10:04:38 AM »
Thanks mick, stored in iBooks just incase :)