Author Topic: Taking a baby camping  (Read 12469 times)

Offline giypsy

• Tent User
Re: Taking a baby camping
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:31 AM »
Took my kids camping from a very early age. It did them the world of good. My son is still very outdoorsy, prefered camping to nintendo. As a soon to be grandfather for the first time and having a son in law who is an avid gem hunter, the whole cycle is about to start again.

Offline DaveL

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Yeah, I need to finish that one day.
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 03:35:14 PM »
We have four kids ranging from 10 down to two. They have camped from the age of 2 months, with out a worry. Personally I think its pretty easy when they are young, but when they start crawling it a different story.

This was our experience as well, they where easy until they started to crawl, then camping becomes much harder over night, but as they start to walk, then grow out of nappies it all becomes easier and easier until then they are starting to help set and pack up camp!

The other note is to be very flexible with driving distances.  Some days we could get a solid 8 hour driving leg in, others you only get a hour or so here and there.  But the more you try to push on, the worse it gets so it is often better to just find a camp.

- David.
TD42T GU Patrol, Bulloak Camper

Offline aardvark

• Swag User
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 04:34:39 PM »
My kids love camping... because I tell them they have to :)

The photo below is from our most recent trip to the Flinders. It was cold but they still seemed to enjoy it. The only problem I find is that by the time morning comes around, all of you are in one bed. This does not make for happy sleeping.

The youngest was 8 weeks old on her first camping trip to Phillip Island for the MotoGP. She's an old hand now.

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
My brother carted his youngest (now 14) across The Simpson when she was 9 weeks old.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline Patt31

• Tent User
    • James and Patsyannes big aussie adventure
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »
Congrats dad to be, we did 6 weeks last year with an 8 month old who started to crawl whilst we were away. We did the outback in the middle of winter, and a couple of hints from our trip were:
Have a thermos and boil your water before going to bed, that way you can make the bottles and add the hot water to your semi filled bottles till they are just the right temp without having to go out in the cold to boil the kettle.
We used the porta cot at night, with a cellular blanket drapped over the top so that it was like a cacoon to keep the warmth in and cold out. Worked a treat used a little low power led light as a night light (battery powered) so you could see what you were doing in the middle of the night.
During the day we used the porta cot when we got sick and tired of chasing our daughter through the dirt and wanted to have a cuppa.
We also used a portable dvd player when doing the long hauls, I think we know "In the night garden" back to front now. She was just at the stage where she needed a little more interaction than just looking out the window.
Most of all "Enjoy your time with your kid/s" they grow up way to quick and the sooner you can get them out in the bush travelling the better I reakon.
Give me the cruiser, camper and the road anyday over 9-5 :)

Hope that when you do get to go on your first trip that you really enjoy it, and remember if it doesnt work, just try something else till you find what works for you and your family :)

:cheers: Pat
Test driving early retirement - every chance we get :)

Toyota Landcruiser with extras, cape york hard floor camper trailer...

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 12:08:59 AM »
One thing you will need to consider on a remote trip is what to do with the nappies.   (Burn-bash-bury doesn't work)
Also, babies should not be kept in a capsule for hours on end, its not good for their backs.
As Jacq said, temperature regulation is not something they are good at.   We all know not to leave a baby in a hot car.   That may also apply to one that is moving.   Remember the link between hyperthermia and dehydration; keep up the fluids.
It may be tempting to dose them on phenergan so that they "travel better" but it may just stop them letting you know when all is not well.
Both my kids were camping at 6 weeks without any dramas but only for short trips (eg Easter).   You need to ask yourself whether a long outback trip is really a benefit to them in their first 6 or 12 months.  
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:38 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas and tips, it gives us confidence that we can do it.

As far as trips are concerned we don't plan any big outback trips until he is older. We'll stick to a 4-6 hour max driving distance and only a couple of nights, just enough for us to get out there again and for him to become accustomed to traveling.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:56:16 AM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 09:03:42 PM »
 :D Congrats for the new one.  Just got back from the Gulf where we stressed the others out  ;D.  The heat was the worst thing, and not being able to cool her down continually was a big worry.  It was hot and not very good for bub for heat stress.  She is one now but still has bottles which have to be cleaned etc, porta cot, etc.  You are limited severely by their sleep patterns and they don't like being hot.  Definitely powered sites the go, and fans (or better).  Got out at Lawn hill for 15mins and she just went red even in the shade.
But in saying that we got out and saw, and except for megaphone Matt (our 5yo) and the fact the it took an hour longer than anyone else to pack we didn't disturb the others too much  :angel: (at least I hope not  :-[)
 :cheers: Paul
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline GOLDIE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 10:05:58 PM »
Hey d4d, I have a 3 and 18 month old and another due on the 15th of this month. What works for us is to either leave early morning 3 4 o'clock and travel while they sleep. I always try to arrive at my destination at approx 7 am. If that's not possible plan your trips around nap times. The other thing you will find is the first night is hell. Always has been for me and my kids. To the point I think what am I doing. My mate just got home from Morton island with his first trip with his 6month old and same thing happened to him . His wife wanted home on the first night. Good luck
Cheers, Ryano
Ready to Roll

2010 Goldstream Storm - 2006 Toyota Landcruiser GXL

Offline falcon1

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »
I agree if you can get through the first night it's a breeze after that they get into the rhythm of camping.  We took our now 3 yr old on his first trip when he was 5 mths old to Beachport.  The first night I think we kept the whole park awake with his crying, we were waiting for him to start the second night but he slept like he should as a baby!  Think it's just a case of different surroundings puts them out a little bit.
falcon1

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 11:06:22 AM »
Congratulations with the baby.
You got a whole heap of responses, and no one seems to say taking the kid camping is a bad thing.
What you need to do is worry more about yourselves.
Based on our experience, babies are lazy little tykes for the first few years.
Can't chop wood, fetch water, cook, or anything.
If you are prepared to put in more than your fair share of the work, take then kid. Bonding in any situations is better than offloading junior to relatives, and far better than curtailing your own enjoyment.
Cheers

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 01:02:25 AM »
Make sure you take familiar blankets and don't wash them. The smell seems to settle them more. When young they can't define shapes to well so a night light is a good idea if you have one at home or at least allow a similar light. we did all that and never had any issues camping. We would get 4 hours out of cam before he wanted a feed. We kept going while he sleep and stopped when he needed a feed or a change. Make sure you change them a lot and use a barrier cream even if you don't think they need it. There is more pressure in the nappy in a capsule than in a cot etc at home and it will not help if they feel un-comfortable. Also leave space for Mum or Dad to sit in the back for some periods so they get to see your face for time to time. We did this when we were say 30 mins for the destination and didn't want to stop.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 08:52:53 AM »
we took all our kids camping from very early age (our latest is 15 months old now but he was born at 1980 grams) when we had him out for the 1st time about a month old. as previously said,take some familiar toys/blankets with you forr them and they wont know any different. in fact all our little ones accually slept better in the camper trailer than they did at home.

just take them along and relax with them and enjoy the outdoors,cheers.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »
 ;D Don't go to Ayres Rock.
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
2010 Lifestyle Extenda Elite
Great haircut

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 08:05:25 PM »
Pressing the unlike button (furiously)

Offline peteandkyles

• Swag User
  • Prado 2008 GXL & 2010 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »
We take our kids camping a lot now. The first one went on a round Australia adventure with us at then age of 18 months. We spent 3 months on the road (although we did stay with a few friends along the way), we camped the last 4 weeks of it in a tent. When the middle one was little we lived in NT on an island and we were a little afraid to take the little ones camping near croc infested rivers and beach (we even had crocs on the golf course every breeding season). Being back on the mainland we restarted camping again and our youngest had her first camping trip at 6 months.

Nothing to dislike about it. The kids love it. The dirtier they get the happier they are.

Rachael at 9 months having a bath at a rest stop halfway between Alice and Darwin...

Some hints
- For feeding we took a walker (just remove the wheels if on unstable ground). They are compact and easy to set up.
- Dirty nappies - must say that utes are very handy - all the smell is out the back
- camping in caravan parks - most people get anoyed by crying babies, so we made sure that the little one slept between us so that we could comfort her very quickly and not disturb too many people.
- Picnic rugs are great for them before they walk - also keep them dry of the ground is wet
- time travel when you want nap time if you can - don't travel at witching hours, makes for a bad trip

Peter

Oh my god this is meant to be the desert!! Where did this water come from?

Offline Camper9

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 08:36:31 PM »
Go for it , when our kids were small we camped in a tent for about their first 6 years, they were the best holidays we ever had with the kids, they mixed with the other kids at the various camp sites and remained friends with them for years. Now they have grown up and have families of their own they are continually asking when they can borrow our camper trailer so they can introduce their kids to the lifestyle
http://www.myswag.org/gallery/d/19192-2/Camper9.jpg

crackacoldie

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
Firstly, Congrats on the impending expansion of the family! :cheers:

Secondly, we started our kids camping in caravan parks at 3 weeks old, each of them had their first trip away early and gave us time to bond as a family without everyone else dropping in all the time.  It is amazing to see the kids grow with the lifestyle, enjoy every moment of it.  Ensuite sites are nice if they make you more comfortable, but we hardly ever used them. 

Good luck and as per the NIKE ads...JUST DO IT!!!!

Offline dalealford

• Swag User
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 03:30:26 PM »
We have camped since Nicholas was 3 months old.
Short trips only until he was about 12 months.
He has grown up with it and now ( at 6 ) is the one bugging me to go away camping all the time.
We camp as part of groups ( small and large ) alot,  and the exposure to children of all ages in an environment away from computers / Nintendo etc , with the kids just using their imagination and playing has been fantastic.

We implement things like ' Go around the outside of the chair's around a campfire' and ' stay away from the river when not with an adult ' policies and stick to them with serious repercussions for breaches .  Nicholas had to miss a trip once because of a previous infringement.   harsh,  but he never did it again.

Go for it  :)

Dale

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
This is an excellent thread and well worth reprising.

We have a 5 month old whose been camping once, at 4 weeks old, and away a couple of times. I must say, this one has been much harder than the first child. I'm working on the mother to not bail out of the two weeks away in Sept/Oct.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
The more you travel & camp, the better it will get. Our 3 were all different, still have trouble with car sickness with #2 ( & #3 sometimes), but once we are out & going camping all is well. A friend once said to us "we control the kids, the kids don't control us". I think he was on the money. Pick some nice spots to go to with as much as possible to make things easy, then wean them off the luxuries with more bush camps. It will get better with time mate. If the above doesn't work, chuck a hissy fit, shove em in the car & TELL them we are going  >:D. Good luck BJ  :cheers:
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »
We've actually just booked our first trip, he'll be 11 months old. We booked an ensuite site to ease into things. I've started a list of stuff to take already.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
We've actually just booked our first trip, he'll be 11 months old. We booked an ensuite site to ease into things. I've started a list of stuff to take already.
Inverloch ?
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
Inverloch ?

Nah Porepunkah http://www.porepunkahmill.com.au/

Although the RACV club park is our backup

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Stormchaser

• Tent User
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »
We bought our camper just before winter this year so have only got out for a couple of overnighters before the frost turned up.
The MWF doesnt like camping with ice hanging off anything especially when our young fella was only 18months old he is now 2 1/2 and could talk the leg off a chair like his mother. The biggest worry we found was keeping him away from the camp fire but he is now old enough to understand hot, burny and doesnt go near it which is great just got to keep an eye on him cause likes to talk to anyone and explore but nothing most kids wouldnt do.

Previously we had a goldstream on road camper which was good as his porta cot would fit where the table was once I took the base out, we also took our fold out gazebo which also had walls and just used a picnic blanket for the ground then loaded it with a heap of toys which kept him occupied for ages we also found simple items such as plastic bottles, tupperware containers and the like seem to have more entertainment value then the expensive toys kids get bought for them.
We spent 3 weeks at fingal bay caravan park a couple of years back before we sold the goldstream and the gazebo worked a treat just got to find somewhere to pack the extra bits needed for the littlies but its all good fun as they grow up so quick so enjoy it!