Author Topic: Cape York stories for 4WD Touring Australia mag  (Read 7988 times)

Offline Pat Williams

• Learning the Ropes
Cape York stories for 4WD Touring Australia mag
« on: February 07, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
G'day MySwaggers,
I work for for 4WD Touring Australia mag and we're currently compiling an issue on Cape York travel. In the past we've run quite a few stories contributed by MySwag forum members, so just checking in to see if anyone has done a trip up to the Cape and has some good photos that they'd like to turn into a story for the mag.

We would be looking for around 15+ good photos and around 1000 words for the story. Doesn't matter if you haven't had work published before, we just need some solid photos and an interesting story or angle for the words. Stories are paid for after the mag goes to print and is on sale.

Drop me a line at pat@4wdtouring.com.au if you've done a trip to the Cape and would like to see your pics in print.

Cheers!  :cheers:

Pat Williams
pat@4wdtouring.com.au
The following users thanked this post: PWE, Craig Tomkinson

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Cape York stories for 4WD Touring Australia mag
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:36:55 PM »
Mate, just cut and paste from the thousands of other stories all the mags have done already.

Take some photos with your product sponsors in the frame in front of the views the cape offers.

Rip up the tracks for that one perfect shot, and you'll have another cape York story for publish.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 06:12:25 AM »
Mate, just cut and paste from the thousands of other stories all the mags have done already.

Take some photos with your product sponsors in the frame in front of the views the cape offers.

Rip up the tracks for that one perfect shot, and you'll have another cape York story for publish.

About right...10 scenic shots to 15 pages of advertising bullShit.. and expert advice from tossers.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:43:54 AM »

I have written 3 articles for the magazine for the myswag trips. Photos taken by members on the trip. I dont write bullShite and hopefully not classified as a tosser ;D

Give it a try and join the tosser club.... ;D

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia
The following users thanked this post: V8ute

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
Quote from: SEADOO

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 05:00:04 PM »
I have written 3 articles for the magazine for the myswag trips. Photos taken by members on the trip. I dont write bullShite and hopefully not classified as a tosser ;D

Mark
Of course your a tosser.
Just a tosser who can write  ;D ;D ;D
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
Pat,
I realise that you are looking for original magazine copy from a personal viewpoint, a fact that seems to escaped some of the intellectual giants who have posted on this thread.
One of these days someone is going to invent a hat with brains in it. When they do I will buy a Shitload and pass them out.
Don't lose heart.
Keith (retired magazine publisher)
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »
Pat,
I realise that you are looking for original magazine copy from a personal viewpoint, a fact that seems to escaped some of the intellectual giants who have posted on this thread.
One of these days someone is going to invent a hat with brains in it. When they do I will buy a Shitload and pass them out.
Don't lose heart.
Keith (retired magazine publisher)

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 05:47:18 AM »

Give it a try and join the tosser club.... ;D

Mark
Yeah but things have changed s lot on here in the last few years Mark.
Welcome to the forum Pat I'm sure there is still a few swaggers on here that would like to see their stories published, good luck with it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 06:33:51 AM »
Hi Pat, My Pm and Email is sent I would love to do a story for your mag, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »
Yeah but things have changed s lot on here in the last few years Mark.
Welcome to the forum Pat I'm sure there is still a few swaggers on here that would like to see their stories published, good luck with it

What has changed. People still write up trip reports, why not get famous and submit the report in a magazine.  ;D

Mark

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 12:06:56 PM »
Quote from: McGirr
What has changed. People still write up trip reports, why not get famous and submit the report in a magazine.  ;D

... cause you can read em free on a forum or blog without eleventy billion ads. :)
FWIW, my best mate writes for ADB Magazine and has since the 80's when we were racing...
He gets paid fairly well for his 'Nose' gig, and the bonus is the contacts in the industry he has for test bits for his bikes :( and an invite to write an article on a bike event where he won a brand new KTM 500 :'( Lucky prick.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 01:44:01 PM »
... cause you can read em free on a forum or blog without eleventy billion ads. :)
FWIW, my best mate writes for ADB Magazine and has since the 80's when we were racing...
He gets paid fairly well for his 'Nose' gig, and the bonus is the contacts in the industry he has for test bits for his bikes :( and an invite to write an article on a bike event where he won a brand new KTM 500 :'( Lucky prick.

All they are asking is if any one wants to contribute a story not buy the magazine. If you dont like the publication dont buy it, no one really cares  :-*

Mark

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »
Quote from: McGirr
All they are asking is if any one wants to contribute a story not buy the magazine. If you dont like the publication dont buy it, no one really cares  :-*
Mark
true... less and less people are caring about magazines, sign of the times I guess
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »

Mark
I was referring to the warm welcome Pat was receiving

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »
I was referring to the warm welcome Pat was receiving

I knew that  ;D

Mark

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
Magazines are still relevant and any trip to a newsagent will tell you that they are still popular. Canny publishers design their magazines to be read during two trips to the dunny.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »
Magazines are still relevant and any trip to a newsagent will tell you that they are still popular. Canny publishers design their magazines to be read during two trips to the dunny.

I don't buy them like I once did but still love a mag or 2 when I'm set up in camp and screen free.

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 10:11:39 PM »
^^^
me too - good mag and a couple of brittney spears 😀
TC
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »
I don't buy them like I once did but still love a mag or 2 when I'm set up in camp and screen free.

x2. Alway grab a couple of mags before a trip for some non-screen reading. Carlyle's mag is first choice & then probably Pat in the Hat. Top notch photography in both.

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
While the Cape may seem like its been done to death, not everyone does the Cape the same way. There are places along the way not everyone visits.
It's about finding that unique angle. Everybody's seen shots of people trying to bend their cars in Gunshot. Boring. Look for something different.

I've had a few of my own stories published over the years.
I figure if someone wants to pay me for a story & pics, which often covers all or most of the cost of the trip, then I'm in ;D
As mentioned below, if you don't like them, don't buy them. Magazines are not dead yet.
4wd Touring Australia still values good writing and photography.
Been a while since I've written, but Pat's always been great to deal with, so if you want to have a crack at writing, give it a go & drop him a line.

The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Pat Williams

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas, and for those that dropped me an email. Great to see plenty of interest.

Sorry I'm new to the site and just realised that I'd been receiving some PMs here on the site too, so will get back to every one on those right away.

4WD mags might not be for everyone these days, but if you're familiar with our mag you'd hopefully see that we like to provide a place for those with a passion for travel, photography or words to get published. And we try not to drown out the good content with an overload of ads. Looks like we'll be running a couple of unique pieces on Cape York in our May issue from MySwag forum members, and we're always interested in seeing content ideas from anyone who's got some great material they'd like to see published.

Cheers!
Pat
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 07:34:01 AM »
Thanks Pat for posting this opportunity on here, and glad there's been a lot of interest. :)

It'll be great to see the magazine when it comes out!

Magazines aren't dead. And 4WD/camping related mags are some of the only ones I buy. Granted, I don't buy them anywhere near as much as I once did, but I get a lot more joy out of reading a magazine than aimlessly trawling Google results to find a few blogs I actually want to read that I may not already be familiar with!
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »
I, 2nd what Trinity said, and a big thanks to Myswag for being Ausy wide forum and attract the attention of mags like 4wdtouring that Pat work for, I am so grateful Pat wants to look at some of my old Cape photos and let me submit an article to see if its good enough, As I have been a scribe for a local brissy fishing mag for around 14years lucky they are not fussy, But I have tired for years to get some of my articles into glossy mags it just does not happen unless you know some who works for them or you meet the editor some where, Thanks to Pat and Myswag, Craig   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:54:05 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
I, 2nd what Trinity said, and a big thanks to Myswag for being Ausy wide forum and attract the attention of mags like 4wdtouring that Pat work for, I am so grateful Pat wants to look at some of my old Cape photos and let me submit an article to see if its good enough, As I have been a scribe for a local brissy fishing mag for around 14years lucky they are not fussy, But I have tired for years to get some of my articles into glossy mags it just does not happen unless you know some who works for them or you meet the editor some where, Thanks to Pat and Myswag, Craig   
many of those glossy mags have a set format you need to follow to submit your article in for...I was approached years ago to do articles for a 4wd mag after they had seen a few trip reports I'd done on their forum, I just couldn't bring myself to write a trip report in the same sterile way all their articles are done....it was all about set info on the area, they don't want to hear about your actual adventures. Not saying that is how it is with the mag this thread is about by the way, just suggesting maybe why other mags brushed you.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t