Author Topic: New Kimberley pass required ...  (Read 5964 times)

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
New Kimberley pass required ...
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:21:47 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but in Birgit Bradtke's latest email, she has posted the following ....

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news: 2018 brings an important change for the Mitchell Plateau.

Sadly, from the start of 2018, if you want to visit as an independent traveller, you will need a permit to access the Mitchell Plateau, called the Ngauwudu Road Zone pass.

The pass is valid for five days and for 2018 costs $20 per person.

Yes, unlike the national park passes, which are issued per vehicle, the Ngauwudu Road Zone passes are issued per person. Every passenger of a vehicle needs to buy a pass. "

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
Re: New Kimberley pass required ...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:23:39 AM »
Plus ....
In 2019 that fee will increase to $45 per person!

TimE

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
................ good thing we went through there this year then :(

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »
Yup, knew this was coming.  Appears all of the communities have realised they can charge what they like and are going for it.  On previous posts some said this is a good thing and they should as they own the land. At lot disagreed.

Some said they do not mind a small charge.  But $45 a person is crazy and will affect the tourism I think. We have been there and spent money on the way and took the helicopter ride there.  When we do the Gibb again we will not go to these falls again, yes for the two of us $90 does not sound like much to some, it is to us and we would be happier too spend the money somewhere else and encourage small community businesses.  I think most of us who have travelled a lot know where this charge will go!   

Yes, a very sad day for the Kimberly. But, they do legally own the land.   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.
The following users thanked this post: Victim69

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 08:40:38 AM »
Never heard of the place.

Is it worth $45 per person?

Does it come with free beer and happy endings?

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »
I think they may be shooting themselves in the foot here - the Kimberly is already an expensive place to holiday giving its location. Might be worth the money if they are putting it towards a grader for the road out there ;D

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »
Quote from: SEADOO
Does it come with free beer and happy endings?
someone is giving a happy ending.... from behind
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Shine

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
I think I can understand why they are charging. Just look at what other companies/enterprises  are charging to access there properties. AND not just in the Kimberly.
What i find a little hard to swallow are most of these communities are already heavily Government funded, in plenty of ways.........  As I see it, its just double dipping with, from previous observation something that wont benifit the community in a whole at all.. The Ranges, Amenities, Communities themselve, even the road maintenance equipment is again heavily "helped" funded via the government. So really wheres this extra $$ going..

$90 per 2 people for 5 days/4nights is $22.50 per night. But most will probably only spend 3 days/2nights up there. So costing more around  $45 per couple per night  for the pleasure of visiting. Bit steep...
Plus i bet it'll be tax free.

Joe
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline cardinal28

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
and I would not be a bit surprised if somewhere like the Bungle Bungles are next. $$$$$$
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »
From their web site.

Uunguu Visitor Pass (UVP)

The UVP will enable us Wunambal Gaambera people to manage our land and sea Country for future generations.                  

When visitors buy a UVP, they will be helping us Wunambal Gaambera people to:
Build leadership in the tourism industry on our Country.
Establish managed visitor sites at key locations, with Uunguu Rangers and Traditional Owners welcoming, guiding and sharing culture.
Grow our Uunguu Ranger program with a tourism focus.
Provide cultural expertise and support for tour operators.
Develop our own authentic “Uunguu Experience” tourism ventures.

Why am I a little bit sceptical?  I truly wish it would allow all of that, but have seen and heard it all before. And perhaps they could start by cleaning up their own rubbish. Oh hang on, like they say, 'It is white man's rubbish hey.'   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
From their web site.

Uunguu Visitor Pass (UVP)

The UVP will enable us Wunambal Gaambera people to manage our land and sea Country for future generations.                 

When visitors buy a UVP, they will be helping us Wunambal Gaambera people to:
Build leadership in the tourism industry on our Country.
Establish managed visitor sites at key locations, with Uunguu Rangers and Traditional Owners welcoming, guiding and sharing culture.
Grow our Uunguu Ranger program with a tourism focus.
Provide cultural expertise and support for tour operators.
Develop our own authentic “Uunguu Experience” tourism ventures.

Why am I a little bit sceptical?
your smart.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
When they stop government funding i will have no problem paying the fees,

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Cruiser 105Tvan

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 05:04:16 PM »
Well Well Well  3 holes in the ground  .
The communities have decided to  charge to use the road to get there & view the falls .
Sadly the road is only used to supply the cattle stations out there & are of no value to the Wynnum Shire out of Kununurra . There are more roads out there that require a grader over them  & that's the way its viewed . For a price comparison check out the price of the Argyle mine tour via DoonDoon station roadhouse . The price spiked from $105 to $285 in 2015  . This tour was run by Roe tinto as part of the Ord River Muster  , their contribution . As the hand back happened the price went Zoooooooooom.
So Getting back to the Mitchells Falls road pass , is there any mention of the camping prices  ?  ??? ??? There are 4/5 of 5/8 of SFA out there in camping sites but a unisex long drop .
This will be A Nice 1 to watch             :'( :'(               >:D                 :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 05:26:49 PM »
So Getting back to the Mitchells Falls road pass , is there any mention of the camping prices  ?  ??? ??? There are 4/5 of 5/8 of SFA out there in camping sites but a unisex long drop .
not having a clue about that area myself, i also was wondering what's out there in the way of camp areas, aswell as the cost involved to stay at them also.  At $180 for a family of 4 for the access permit, i'm curious what the total costs is once possible camping costs are added...does anyone know?
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 07:15:42 PM »
Well Well Well  3 holes in the ground  .
The communities have decided to  charge to use the road to get there & view the falls .
Sadly the road is only used to supply the cattle stations out there & are of no value to the Wynnum Shire out of Kununurra . There are more roads out there that require a grader over them  & that's the way its viewed . For a price comparison check out the price of the Argyle mine tour via DoonDoon station roadhouse . The price spiked from $105 to $285 in 2015  . This tour was run by Roe tinto as part of the Ord River Muster  , their contribution . As the hand back happened the price went Zoooooooooom.
This will be A Nice 1 to watch             :'( :'(               >:D                 :cheers:

The Mitchell Falls campground is run by the WA Parks and Wildlife at $11 a night ($7 concession and $3 kids) and when I was there last year it had a couple of newish  flushing eco-loos.

But the road in is close to the worst thing I have driven on that is called a road on a map.

I am not sure what I think about charging for access. There are so many ways to look at it.   It costs $20 or something just to drive into El Questro just for a look  I think.

If the money really goes to helping the community and improving facilities.  Yeah. If there is no accountability. Nah.               

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 07:59:11 PM »
Wonder how much of this money will be used to improve things for tourist.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 08:54:37 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but in Birgit Bradtke's latest email, she has posted the following ....

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news: 2018 brings an important change for the Mitchell Plateau.

Sadly, from the start of 2018, if you want to visit as an independent traveller, you will need a permit to access the Mitchell Plateau, called the Ngauwudu Road Zone pass.

The pass is valid for five days and for 2018 costs $20 per person.

Yes, unlike the national park passes, which are issued per vehicle, the Ngauwudu Road Zone passes are issued per person. Every passenger of a vehicle needs to buy a pass. "

Just to further clarify one aspect of these charges.

2018 $20 per person per 5 days. 

So if you intended to stay 6 days, that's $40 per person. 

On their online permit site it only goes up to a 20 day stay at $80 per person. 

Not sure if you can extend it past 20 days or not. 

Then in 2019 the permit increases to $45 per person
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »
Personally it does not worry me. The adventure in traveling the Kimberley and the memories will be priceless. Will the fees go to maintaining the roads etc who cares as the amount of money that has been spent over the years for helicopter flights and national park fees and the road is still crap.

I suppose there are two arguments, do the road up then there will be complaints that its not as remote as people wanted or it will open the area up to more tourists. Its like complaining about fuel prices and food prices in remote areas.

Bottom line is, if people think its too much then dont go. Stay home and complain about everything else or save a few extra dollars and experiance whats out there. Your choice....

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 09:26:17 PM »
Personally it does not worry me. The adventure in traveling the Kimberley and the memories will be priceless. Will the fees go to maintaining the roads etc who cares as the amount of money that has been spent over the years for helicopter flights and national park fees and the road is still crap.

I suppose there are two arguments, do the road up then there will be complaints that its not as remote as people wanted or it will open the area up to more tourists. Its like complaining about fuel prices and food prices in remote areas.

Bottom line is, if people think its too much then dont go. Stay home and complain about everything else or save a few extra dollars and experiance whats out there. Your choice....

Mark

That is sort of my underlying feeling ... I think. I  feel a little bit that having a $20 charge one year and more than doubling it the next sends a mixed message.

I read a lot about the Kimberley for years before I was able to go there and when I did I was really surprised at the number of people who were on the Gibb River Road.

Interestingly there were  few at Mitchell Falls. You don't need a road charge to keep the masses away, the drive in is enough to thwart the faint hearted.

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »
its so they can maintain the corries on the Mitchell falls road, digging those things out takes a lot of effort and money.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 05:50:20 AM »

Mark
Who said anything about staying home

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 07:16:20 AM »
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=52889.msg916817#msg916817

Charging an access fee is certainly not a new concept............................................just sayin'  >:D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 07:46:50 AM »
Who said anything about staying home

exactly....Australia is a huge country with heaps of other beautiful options to go see. Personally i'd take the $180 it'll cost my family to go there in 2019, and put it in the fuel tank to go elsewhere. The land owners have a right to charge what they like, just as we have the right to go elsewhere....sadly though the sheeple will still keep paying just to say they've been to X location, like they do at Elquestro etc.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t