Author Topic: Camper Trailer Gas-Erect options  (Read 4103 times)

Offline MrLucyTheBoxer

• Learning the Ropes
    • Smoking Hot Confessions
Camper Trailer Gas-Erect options
« on: December 13, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have been looking at various camper trailers and have found that we like the Emu camper trailers with their gas-erect system to make putting up the tent easier (my wife and I both have back problems and rented a trailer without this once and it was almost impossible for us to put up).

My question is what other brands do you know of that also have this gas-erect system? (It's a little gas strut on the inside of the tent frame on each side of the bed so you can grab the frame with two fingers and flip it over to put up the tent.)

Thanks,

Ben
Tasteful Truths...

www.smokinghotconfessions.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Camper Trailer Gas-Erect options
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
I know a few members have had 12v electric actuators added to their current campers to assist. This may open the market to you a lot more... but I'd be looking more at a van style that needs less setup ...

also depends where you plan on going.

I think its something more manufacturers should look at adding.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have been looking at various camper trailers and have found that we like the Emu camper trailers with their gas-erect system to make putting up the tent easier (my wife and I both have back problems and rented a trailer without this once and it was almost impossible for us to put up).

My question is what other brands do you know of that also have this gas-erect system? (It's a little gas strut on the inside of the tent frame on each side of the bed so you can grab the frame with two fingers and flip it over to put up the tent.)

Thanks,

Ben

It is reasonably easy to retro fit some struts to a soft floor camper the way you are talking about, I think most new sellers should be able to fit some for you, or if you went used (generally much better value) you could DIY it with some average skills or get a strut place to fit some for you fairly inexpensively.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:42:13 AM »
I know a few members have had 12v electric actuators added to their current campers to assist.

Good example here https://youtu.be/k163aSFT-o8

Offline MrLucyTheBoxer

• Learning the Ropes
    • Smoking Hot Confessions
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »
Thanks Bird and Tryagain,

We're on a very limited budget which is why I'm looking at used soft floor trailers. Like $3-$5k.

Bird - I'll have a look into those 12v electric actuators - sounds like a good idea to me.

Cheers,

Ben
Tasteful Truths...

www.smokinghotconfessions.com

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:44:23 AM »
Thanks Bird and Tryagain,

We're on a very limited budget which is why I'm looking at used soft floor trailers. Like $3-$5k.

In that price range just get the best camper you can for you $$$ and then if it doesn't have the struts just add some in
The following users thanked this post: MrLucyTheBoxer

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
JC Clures build and fitting 12V Actuators to lift the tent section etc http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=1493.375 read the following pages on the set up  and the Vid of it working https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgadrk_-eFg 
Ebay for the actuators.  I got four actuators for a project for $225 delivered out of China and they work great .
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:06:34 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 11:37:40 AM »
I have struts on my camper, they help put it up by adding about 10% less effort that if they were not there. Be careful as they all do not assist as much as you think. I would make sure that you have a trial run of a camper by yourself to ensure that they are doing enough to help you put the tent up

It also depends on the size of the tent, is the awning still attached and how many poles are in the camper design. I am happy that I have them, but they are not always the answer

GG

Offline Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »
PM sent.

The gas struts on mine make it easy to set up, but very difficult to pack up.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
I have struts on my camper, they help put it up by adding about 10% less effort that if they were not there.

Properly set up it should do a lot more than that, you could probably get them re-gassed (depending on size) to do a lot more of the work, with things like boat loaders, there is a limit as to what you can do as to the weights/forces involved but the right gas struts should be easily able to push the tent bows up.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 12:58:40 PM »
Tru Blu are no longer around but this is what can get setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k163aSFT-o8

To have it done was not cheap if you were paying (Over 2k from memory which is why it didn't take off)

I don't think for your 3-5k your going to succeed with trailer + actuators.

This is a great trailer owned by one of the most experienced travelers here for 3300 - no actuators but have a word with Rich anyway.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53665.0

There are ways of making things easier to erect without actuators. but it would depend on the trailer you own.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bookleaf

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 04:08:49 PM »
Cameron Camper and Canvas here is Adelaide have been making camper trailers with gas supported hoops for years. We have one - 7 years old and still assisting strong.  Super easy (and quick) to set up and pull down.
From your profile I gather you are in Qld so this is a little far from you. 
I was at their place today getting a spare part and noticed they currently have 3 used trailers for sale (ex hire I presume) if you want to give them a ring.
See their web site for contact details.
Isuzu MUX, LS-M, Cameron Canvas Camper