Author Topic: Drizabone question  (Read 10060 times)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
Re: Drizabone question
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 06:54:05 AM »
The Team brand waterproof jackets from BCF are pretty good. They have taped seams, but on mine the tape started deteriorating after about 7 years. But you can get them for $50, and if it lasts 5 years, that ain't bad. They're nice and light too, and have breathing flaps as well. Have had mine in a couple of decent storms out in an open boat, and the only water was a slight trickle that got in around the neck when I didn't have the hood up.

I had a Drisabone, but it was heavy, hot and stunk. It used to spend most of it's time hanging on the back of the shed door, because I just couldn't arsed wearing it.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 09:16:55 PM »
I have the Morrisons Oil Skin Coat, can't fault it but it still to re-oiled every couple of years.

Here's all the info you need to re-oil your coat;
http://www.drizabone.com.au/garment-care/

Baz.

My Morrison's is at least 30 years old, and some how it still fits me. Never been reoiled. Sometimes it's rolled up. Sometimes screwed up. Gets stuffed in the car where ever it might fit. Gets used as a ground sheet, a tarp, or packing to better secure whatever luggage might be in the car.

I never realised you weren't supposed to fold them, or that you had to re-oil them. Whoops.

It has never leaked.

Best money I ever spent.
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper
The following users thanked this post: IanS

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 07:38:57 AM »
Have you ever re-oiled it?

I have a genuine Dri-z-bone that I bought to go to AgQuip (always rains at AgQuip) in 1986.

In '88 I took it on a 3 day hike (not the best choice of hiking apparel, I will admit :-[) and after the 2nd day of solid rain it started to get a bit damp on the inside.

It got re-oiled shortly after that and I gave it a good coating as it was a bit light on from the factory and it hasn't leaked since.

I like them, a good long coat that keeps you dry and warm as a bonus. Great for around the yards, horses and walking in the paddocks. For use when getting in and out of vehicles, not so much. Horses don't care if you rub grease off onto the seats, the inside of the car suffers a bit though and tucking your skirt up so you can shut the door is inconvenient.

Mine and my dads old coats keep the dust off the drill press.  Since moving to Qld its generally too warm for a flannel lined coat when it only seems to rain in summer.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »
Have you ever re-oiled it?

I have a genuine Dri-z-bone that I bought to go to AgQuip (always rains at AgQuip) in 1986.

In '88 I took it on a 3 day hike (not the best choice of hiking apparel, I will admit :-[) and after the 2nd day of solid rain it started to get a bit damp on the inside.

It got re-oiled shortly after that and I gave it a good coating as it was a bit light on from the factory and it hasn't leaked since.

I like them, a good long coat that keeps you dry and warm as a bonus. Great for around the yards, horses and walking in the paddocks. For use when getting in and out of vehicles, not so much. Horses don't care if you rub grease off onto the seats, the inside of the car suffers a bit though and tucking your skirt up so you can shut the door is inconvenient.

Mine and my dads old coats keep the dust off the drill press.  Since moving to Qld its generally too warm for a flannel lined coat when it only seems to rain in summer.
no i haven't reoiled it and was wondering if that's the issue (stated that in my reply on page one)....what I was hoping for was the answer you just gave about getting damp after solid rain, first hand accounts, so cheers for that. Have you been in solid rain / prolonged rain periods for hours after you reoiled it, or was it light rain only?  Most people I speak to about them have been in light rain for a while with them, and in that stuff my jacket has always been fine, but the rain we were in at the concert was torrential at times and pretty much 4 hours worth with no let up (so raining the whole time, but at times bucketing down).
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »
I've been out in heavy rain, but only for a few hours at a time.

I like to think I'm older and wiser, so when its flogging down I go and do what I have to do and then get out of the rain and hang the coat on the veranda.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 11:14:58 AM »
I wonder what the quality of modern materials they are made of are.. EG: canvas is no longer just canvas...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
no i haven't reoiled it and was wondering if that's the issue (stated that in my reply on page one)....what I was hoping for was the answer you just gave about getting damp after solid rain, first hand accounts, so cheers for that. Have you been in solid rain / prolonged rain periods for hours after you reoiled it, or was it light rain only?  Most people I speak to about them have been in light rain for a while with them, and in that stuff my jacket has always been fine, but the rain we were in at the concert was torrential at times and pretty much 4 hours worth with no let up (so raining the whole time, but at times bucketing down).
I got mine in the 90’s while subcontracting, hoping for what you are asking. They hold the rain off for a while but slowly wet out and then they stay wet until they get a day in the sun. If you study up on modern technical outer skins, you can dry them on your body if need be. There is no comparison. Oils were pretty awesome, not much rain for us though.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 01:24:56 PM »
I've given up on my oilskin, for all the reasons others have given. I bought a light weight jacket and pants which are totally waterproof, and can go on over as much other clothing as I need depending on the temperature. They are so much better than the oilskin.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 05:36:10 PM »
My Drizabone is oiled roughly 12-24 months. Depends if it “looks dry” it’s rolled up and lives in the ute. Always been dry
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 08:32:45 PM »
Can report no drizza bone required for the Coffs concert. Great "alternate" venue well organised and even better was the Oils performance.
Only downside was the $8 beer and $10 for the wine.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2017, 07:27:07 AM »
Mid strength was $9 at the river stage

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »

Mid strength was $9 at the river stage

:o

& I reckon I can pretty safely assume that wasn't for a jug / carafe ??? >:D

Organiser's must have made an arrangement with :police:

We'll save you the trouble of having to have RID teams around the area, because no-one will be able to afford to get p1st at the concert! :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2017, 08:18:17 AM »
Yep, there were some gallopers on the organising committee. The mid strength was cricketers arms or some such swill. On the way in everybody had to stop while some child attached an armband on us. It wasn’t until I got home that I saw it had writing on it - “drinking age verified”. At a concert where the lead singer is 64. No Shit. Perhaps they could have just had 10 wristbands for those few people who brought kids they would have saved a lot of hassle. It’s a worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »
it was $10 for a mid strength Bundy can also....a shame the event was mid strength only drinks, but better then nothing I guess.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

KingBilly

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »
Normal these days for Liquor Licencing to restrict alcohol sales to mid or low strength alcohol at events to reduce violence and unsocial behaviour.

KB

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 06:54:27 PM »
Normal these days for Liquor Licencing to restrict alcohol sales to mid or low strength alcohol at events to reduce violence and unsocial behaviour.

KB

I got a three game membership to tie lions for my birthday to my surprise full strength beer and spirits. And yes there were still some gooses in the members area not out of control but still gooses.

Even in the mid-strength areas they just drink more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KingBilly

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 06:57:39 PM »
Yeah but that is a girlie sporting event not a hard core, old farts concert  ;D Different type of demographic.

KB

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2017, 08:53:05 PM »

KB

Full strength Carlton Dry , and Cider full strength was available at Coffs

KingBilly

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »
Full strength Carlton Dry , and Cider full strength was available at Coffs

Umm, different state so no idea mate  ;D

KB