Author Topic: Drizabone question  (Read 10061 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Drizabone question
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »
So this question i have regarding Drizabone jackets, stems from lastnight when I attended the Midnight Oil, Living End and Jebediah concert at Pineapple Fields (The Big Pineapple) on the Sunshine Coast.....was an awesome concert by the way. To say that it was a wet concert lastnight is an understatement, it fair hosed down at times and just about everyone there would have been soaked to the bone....the place was a mud hole by the end of the night. I wore my full length Drizabone jacket and a cheap poncho over my head to stop water running from my head down my neck (a great look I know...lol.). This set up kept me fairly dry right up until about 45 minutes from the end of the concert, after that it seemed like the jacket reached a point at which it could no longer keep the water out, it was soaked and i started getting abit wet after that point. The last 45 minutes getting abit wet wasn't the end of the world, but the following hour and a half we waited in the bus line to get back from the concert was brutal, it rained the entire time we stood in the line up and absolutely poured raining again at one stage...i was cold and soaking wet like everyone else now....my shoes were even starting to fill with water (i'm serious....i actually wished i had my fishing waders and a decent rain jacket on instead.....lol.).
So my question is...is this normal for a Drizabone, or did it just need reproofing beforehand?.
Should the jacket of kept the water out no matter how much it rains, or do they reach a point where they can't repell the water any longer?
I've never been in that much rain for so long in my jacket before, so wondering if it was time to reproof it again or that was normal for the conditions we were in? My guess is it now needs reproofing anyhow, but it's going to take a while to dry out as it hangs up...lol.
How wet have you gotten in a Drizabone and still stayed dry?
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Drizabone question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »
Quote from: Rumpig
I've never been in that much rain for so long in my jacket before
I know I haven't either and wouldn't!

How old is your drizabone?? has it ever been redone?

Maybe asking a bit much of it?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
I know I haven't either and wouldn't!

How old is your drizabone?? has it ever been redone?

Maybe asking a bit much of it?
it's probably 10 years old and never been redone.
I looked at the radar when we left and it looked like it had mostly cleared (Bli Bli which is not far away got 60mm in an hour earlier in the day, so there'd been heaps of good rain falling during the day), I expected we'd maybe get a light shower maybe later in the night, wasn't thinking it would hose down like it did...lol. I pity the people cleaning the buses we got home on, every seat would be soaking wet today, the floor of the bus had nearly half an inch of water sitting over it...lol

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
lf you redo the coat in the hot weather it will soak into the coat & repel for just a bit longer  . Remember a Drizza wont breath so you will collect your body humidity within & you end up just as wet ,,,,,,,,,,,,
Enjoy the concert & get on with the rest     :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 07:23:45 PM »
Quote from: speewa158
Remember a Drizza wont breath so you will collect your body humidity within & you end up just as wet
I've had that happen before.. just sweating inside :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 07:27:49 PM »
I've had that happen before.. just sweating inside :(
Must be a really  B I G  drizza,,,,,,,,,,,,, :-[            :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 08:17:52 PM »
Agree with speewa, back when i was competing in gundog retreiving trials would be in a full length drizzabone all day in the rain and stayed dry, the trick was to dress to stay cold enough not to sweat, probably a bit hard for you up there. Ditch the heavy drizzabone and get a goretex jacket and over pants

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KingBilly

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
Never fold a Driza-Bone, always roll it up loosly or hang it.  Folding will create leakage.

KB

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 09:22:48 PM »
Rummy, With the coat, I have worn mine in some pretty wet conditions and have stayed dry although I don't think I have done it for 6 hrs or so which was probably what you did and in some consistent rain.
Also after you dry it and probably re-proofed, I suggest you roll it up to store as this is what I was advised to do and have done so for my current one which is now 13 years old ( a birthday present replacement for my old one which was stolen)

We also had tickets for that same concert but sold them as we are now going to Coffs Harbour to see the Oil's meeting up with mates, I think it was a good call seeing the weather up the coast, hope Coff's is a bit dryer.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
Rummy, With the coat, I have worn mine in some pretty wet conditions and have stayed dry although I don't think I have done it for 6 hrs or so which was probably what you did and in some consistent rain.
Also after you dry it and probably re-proofed, I suggest you roll it up to store as this is what I was advised to do and have done so for my current one which is now 13 years old ( a birthday present replacement for my old one which was stolen)

We also had tickets for that same concert but sold them as we are now going to Coffs Harbour to see the Oil's meeting up with mates, I think it was a good call seeing the weather up the coast, hope Coff's is a bit dryer.
yep probably had it on for 6 hours, it was fine for the first 3 hours with the rain that fell in that time period, but as the night rolled on and the rain just got heavier, it was all downhill after that. The Drizabone is kept followed up, more good luck then good management...lol. 
Putting the rain aside you missed a great concert, Jebediah were great but only played a half hour, Living End played longer and were great as usual, and The Oils played so many old hits it was fantastic. The rain actually added to the atmosphere whilst the concert was happening, I think they had 16000 people there (local paper reported) in an amphitheatre like set up, all thumbing their noses at mother nature and rocking out.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 10:14:32 PM »
Agree with speewa, back when i was competing in gundog retreiving trials would be in a full length drizzabone all day in the rain and stayed dry, the trick was to dress to stay cold enough not to sweat, probably a bit hard for you up there. Ditch the heavy drizzabone and get a goretex jacket and over pants

i wasn't sweating at all as it wasn't a hot night, I just had a t shirt and jeans on under the coat. What sort of rainfall amount are you talking out of curiosity? We were 6 hours at the event, but the first few hours was only light rain on and off before it bucketed down, then more light rain, then bucketed down, then some good consistent rain, then absolutely poured, then more light rain again. I have no idea what total amount we had at the event, but that Sunshine Coast area gets some of the bigger rainfall amounts alot of the time.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 12:20:02 AM »
I wore my full length Drizabone jacket and a cheap poncho over my head to stop water running from my head down my neck (a great look I know...lol.)

Should have rocked this look

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 04:51:48 AM »
My younger sister & her hubby went to the concert too.
She said it was awsome🥇
And they were soaked aswell!

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 07:04:01 AM »
Ours are over 25 years old, always hung up, or if traveling rolled up(As mentioned above).
Have re oiled once in that time, when I remembered to do so in the middle of summer and yeah it seemed to soak in better.
Yeah, sweat horribly if it's high humidity, yuk.
Still think they are good tho,  :cup:

:cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
My driza lives in the shed keeping dust off an outboard motor. Most overrated useless smelly piece of technical apparel I have ever owned.
Buy the Aldi inoc ski jacket when they come on sale 25000mm rated and massive under arm zips. You won’t buy a better raincoat for $110.
We are seeing them tomorrow night at the river stage - I am excited.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 08:11:25 AM »
My driza lives in the shed keeping dust off an outboard motor. Most overrated useless smelly piece of technical apparel I have ever owned.
Buy the Aldi inoc ski jacket when they come on sale 25000mm rated and massive under arm zips. You won’t buy a better raincoat for $110.
We are seeing them tomorrow night at the river stage - I am excited.
already own an aldi ski jacket....mates were wearing similar jackets at the concert and were soaked to the bone also. We avoided the Brisbane concert because the support act was rubbish and Sunny Coast concert was on a Saturday (was only one Brisbane concert on sale st that time), when you have to google the name to see what the support acts songs are it's not a good thing. I reckon the only thing that would have kept me dry was a full on heavy duty rain jacket and waders like pro fisherman wear.....it was a lot of rain that fell that night (and similar last night also for those who attended).

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 08:28:55 AM »
Hi RP,  Mate they are a useless coats in constant heavy rain, my mates and I  renamed them , wet as a shag, For on the farm or pro fishing we use yellow rain coat pants that come up past your waist, and a big over size yellow rain coat with hood that zips up, The DB are just for show, Craig 
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 08:37:01 AM »
I have the Morrisons Oil Skin Coat, can't fault it but it still to re-oiled every couple of years.

Here's all the info you need to re-oil your coat;
http://www.drizabone.com.au/garment-care/

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
already own an aldi ski jacket....mates were wearing similar jackets at the concert and were soaked to the bone also. We avoided the Brisbane concert because the support act was rubbish and Sunny Coast concert was on a Saturday (was only one Brisbane concert on sale st that time), when you have to google the name to see what the support acts songs are it's not a good thing. I reckon the only thing that would have kept me dry was a full on heavy duty rain jacket and waders like pro fisherman wear.....it was a lot of rain that fell that night (and similar last night also for those who attended).
Yeah I’m hearing you about support acts. I didn’t have a choice unfortunately. The idea of the skii zips is so they remain open to get rid of the moisture coming off your body. Those dirty old yellow coats we used to fish in, rain on the inside anyway because they don’t breathe. Staying dry long term is a difficult proposition. I ditched a $600 ronstan r tech 5 offshore jacket for the Aldi one because it was better. That was a sad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »
Hi,
    A golf brolly to shed the worst helps a lot.
Keeps that pesky mainland sun in its place too!
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »
In my biker days I had a Barbour oilskin jacket. Used to reproof it every year and was perfectly waterproof except for a couple of holes that eventually wore through.
Best bit of gear I ever had. I have a Drizabone too but hardly ever wear it these days.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »
Hi,
    A golf brolly to shed the worst helps a lot.
Keeps that pesky mainland sun in its place too!
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
you aren't allowed umbrellas in events (sporting, concert etc) these days, which is a good thing I reckon....i don't pay good money to look at the umbrella of the person in front of me.  Years ago before they were banned I had words with the guy in front of me at a State of Origin game over his umbrella blocking our view of the game, I made it quite clear I didn't pay X amount of dollars to not be able to see the game, told him to put the umbrella away and sit in the rain like everyone else is doing...which he then did so.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
In my biker days I had a Barbour oilskin jacket. Used to reproof it every year and was perfectly waterproof except for a couple of holes that eventually wore through.
Best bit of gear I ever had. I have a Drizabone too but hardly ever wear it these days.
I had the dririder wax cotton gear back in the day.. fawkin heavy and took up lot of space in the gearsack.. but driest suit I've ever had LOL
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »
Apparently I don't need gumboots for the Oils concert in Coffs on Thursday. Got notification today that the venue has been changed from the hockey fields to the neighbouring footy stadium carpark, due to concerns of soggy hockey grounds being ruined.
Sounds like a good move as it also means that they are running buses from the pub in Sawtell near where will be staying.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 06:25:36 AM »
Apparently I don't need gumboots for the Oils concert in Coffs on Thursday. Got notification today that the venue has been changed from the hockey fields to the neighbouring footy stadium carpark, due to concerns of soggy hockey grounds being ruined.
Sounds like a good move as it also means that they are running buses from the pub in Sawtell near where will be staying.
the Suncoast Christian College will be regretting using their oval as a car park and school buses for the park and ride last Saturday I reckon...the buses had water running down the ailse and seats soaking wet, the field had massive wheel ruts dug into it from the vehicles sinking into the nice turf, I could feel the misses car sliding in the mud / sinking in the turf struggling for traction as I slowly drove off the oval....nobody was trying to rip the place up, it was just so wet that you couldn't help but add to it's damage as you drove out.